Besides sex, these are other Reasons to Why Men cheat...

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
attachment.php

(OPRAH.com) -- In a new study conducted by marriage counselor M. Gary Neuman, it's estimated that one in 2.7 men will cheat -- and most of their wives will never know about it.

M. Gary Neuman tells Oprah Winfrey there are unobtrusive ways of finding out if a husband is cheating.

Gary documented these findings -- and many others -- in a groundbreaking new book. To write "The Truth About Cheating," Gary surveyed hundreds of faithful and cheating husbands to uncover the real reason some men stray.

Gary says his work as a marriage counselor inspired him to write this book. "For over 20 years, [I've been] living along with women, counseling, seeing the devastation and how overwhelming it is when they are cheated on and what it subsequently does to the children and the family," he says.

"You want to help children of divorce? I said, 'Well, let's get really down and dirty and find out what we can do to save marriages and make them better.'"

Although Gary discusses how wives of cheaters can factor into affairs, he says he wrote the book to empower women. Oprah.com: Is he cheating on you?

"It's not about blaming the wife. It can't be. I mean, cheating is ridiculous. It's wrong. And you can't justify it," Gary says. "My book is about one thing. It's really about empowering women. If I can give you knowledge that says that I could have proof that if you do certain things, you can lead your relationship to a better place, that will be much better for you as well because it's not just about stopping tragedy. It's about building a much more mutually beneficial relationship."

What's the number one reason men cheat? Ninety-two percent of men said it wasn't primarily about the sex.

"The majority said it was an emotional disconnection, specifically a sense of feeling underappreciated. A lack of thoughtful gestures," Gary says. "Men are very emotional beings. They just don't look like that. Or they don't seem like that. Or they don't tell you that."

Josh says he cheated on his wife, Jennifer, because he felt underappreciated at home and started feeling insecure. "That insecurity was really the catalyst," he says. "I didn't feel comfortable going to the one person in the world I should be going to, which is my wife." Oprah.com: The signs you could be missing

With daily worries like bills, children and chores, Gary says it's easy for couples to drift away from appreciating one another like they should. Gary says the other woman often makes the man feel better about himself.

"[She] makes them feel different. Makes them feel appreciated, admired," he says. "Men look strong, look powerful and capable. But on the inside, they're insecure like everybody else. They're searching and looking for somebody to build them up to make them feel valued."

Men have a winning mentality, Gary says. Just think about how the men in your life act while watching their favorite sports teams.

"They love to win," Gary says. "Does he have ownership in the team? It looks like that. But as long as they're in the game, even to the very end, they'll watch. Once it's a blowout and they know their team can't win, television goes off. And what a lot of men will say to me through this research is, 'I just felt like I couldn't win.' Now they might not have been great guys to live with, I'm not saying it's her fault, again. But if you want to secure your relationship and understand and have the knowledge of men, make them feel like they're winning with the things that they do for you."

Don't be afraid to praise your partner or tell him that you appreciate what he does, Gary says. "We get married because we want one person in the world to really think we're wonderful for doing all the things that we do. We all want the same thing," he says. "And the more we give it, the more we get it in return."

Is cheater choosing prettier women?

How often does a man cheat on his wife with a woman who's more attractive? Not as often as you may think. Gary found that 88 percent of the men surveyed said the other women were no better looking or in no better shape than their own wives. Oprah.com: The "other woman" speaks out

For the first five years of his marriage, AJ says things were rocky with his wife, Janet. "We got to the point where we were really living in separate parts of the house. I went downstairs every time I came home from work," he says. "So when somebody else took an interest in me and was interested in what I did, interested in my job, interested in what I wear -- you name it -- before I had the self-awareness to understand my vulnerabilities and take responsibility, I liked it -- even though it was the worst decision of my life."

Every couple will eventually face certain life changes, but Gary urges couples to think back about the interest they took in one another when they were first dating or newlyweds.

"Everybody deserves that. Everybody wants that," Gary says. "Because it's not about the sex, what everyone's been made to believe. Anybody, no matter how you look, can be admiring and kind and warm and give you that extra little pump and that extra kindness and hang on your words."

How often do men confess to cheating on before being caught?

Only 7 percent of men who strayed told their wives without being asked. Fifty-five percent of men in Gary's study have either not told their wives or lied after being confronted with hard evidence. "I kind of tell people, 'If you're going to wait for him to come tell you, go buy a lottery ticket, because you like playing against the odds,'" Gary says.

In 2004, Colleen discovered that her husband, Scott, was having an affair and says she caught him several times. The first time she says she caught Scott was on Father's Day when the other woman called the house.

"I was standing there right with him in the kitchen so I heard her, and she said, 'Are you okay? Are you okay? Hang in there,'" Colleen says. "He tried to tell me it was a dispatcher from work and that was very suspicious."

Colleen says Scott's affair was painful, but the lying was worse. "When you've been married for so long and you trust someone so much and they look you right in the eye and they're telling you a lie, it takes a lot to move past that," she says.

Gary says Colleen's desire to believe her husband is common. "The problem is that that's the moment where every woman has to look at her husband and say, simply, 'Look. The fact [is] that I think you may be cheating. I'll trust you at your word. I've got no choice. But there's something wrong with us.'" Gary says.

Although he felt connected to his wife, Scott says he started to feel insecure when Colleen's mother passed away.

"I felt powerless; I didn't feel able to talk with my wife," he says. "Looking back on it, I felt that it transferred onto our relationship when it really didn't. She was really looking for me to be that strong point and I kind of walked away from it because of the insecurities I was feeling and the challenges we were facing in our marriage at the time and my abilities to be able to love her as a husband."

Just as the little things are often signs that something is wrong, the little things can also help rebuild relationships, Gary says. For example, if a man tries to make breakfast and burns the toast, Gary suggests staying positive.

"[Men] want to feel like they're pleasing their wives... When you give him the message mainly that you screwed up, then believe it or not, it makes him feel insecure. [He thinks,] 'I can't win,'" Gary says. "Engender the good feeling of the trying and the effort that he's made. That's where the love really is."

Katherine calls in to ask Gary about her suspicions that her husband cheated on her.

"One night I saw his phone on the counter and I looked at it, and it somehow came right to this picture of him naked and aroused from the waist down... I asked him about it. He denied anything. He said he took the picture to send to me, which I know is a big fat lie because I wouldn't approve. And so that was one thing. And then I've also seen e-mails from women from Russia, wanting him to be their lovers."

Katherine says she has tried tracking him with a GPS unit and installing spyware on his computer, but he found both and disabled them. Gary says Katherine should try getting him to submit to a lie detector test.

"Obviously we all think here that he's up to no good," Gary says. "The question, Katherine, that you have to face, and this is hard for a woman: Do you want to know?"

Gary says the truth can be very difficult for women to face because it could be the end of their marriage and the beginning of a painful divorce. Gary says the cheater's lying is really the ultimate betrayal.

"I say to men, look, do yourself a bigger favor, be honest with your wife when you're just beginning to get interested in somebody else. Sit down with your wife and say, 'Listen. Something is wrong,'" Gary says.

If you suspect your husband is cheating, Gary says there are unobtrusive ways of investigating, such as looking at cell phone records or computer histories, or try using an automobile GPS tracking device if necessary. But first, find out if GPS tracking is legal in your state.

Brian and Anne say they never thought they would have to deal with an affair in their marriage. Anne says Brian was never gone in the evenings, they were emotionally connected, and they had sex every night. Yet Brian was secretly having an affair on his lunch hour at work.

"I was always under the belief that affairs happened to people in either bad marriages or where there's no sex going on. And because we had both of those things, I was really unaware of how easily I could slip into an affair," Brian says.

Brian says he started having his affair with a person who at first was just a friend. "And then you develop some sort of a connection with them through some sort of common interest," he says. "I didn't choose to go have an affair. It just sort of happened."

Gary says Brian is right that most men meet the person they have an affair with in one of two places -- at work or through a hobby. "It begins as an emotional relationship. There's a friendship that develops. It's not just looking for the sex," Gary says. "We all have this picture of cheaters as the bad guys. They're horrible, rotten, not nice. No, they can be nice people who get lost, who do the wrong thing -- and they can be your husband."

Why do men always cheat?

First of all, men don't always cheat, but when they do, here are some possible reasons:

1. They are not ready to have commitments.
2. They no longer feel satisfied/stimulated in their current relationship and are too cowardly to end the relationship.
3. They are concerned aobut their financial/living situation if they end the relationship, but do not feel fulfilled in it.
4. They like various sex partners.
5. They crave the initial excitement and illicitness of a "secret" affair.
6. They need to feel desired and their partner does not fulfill that need.
7. Men are single-minded and don't think about the consequences of their actions.
8. Some men cheat because they think they can get by with it.
9. Some cheat because they don't take their relationships seriously.
10. Guys cheat because many of them increasingly feel powerless in a society that is giving women more rights & powers in the domestic & public spheres.
11. Men stray outside of long-term relationships to remember what it was like to be desirable and free. "Schedules" and routine destroy self image.
12. The woman's sex drive isn't what it was when you first got married.
13. Having sex with more than one woman is an ego boost for those with low self-esteem.
14. Men cheat because they are bored in their current relationships
15. The man perceives that the partner is bored with or no longer interested in sex.
16. Lack of or poor communication with the spouse/girlfriend can lead a man to cheat.
17. Other people are something new and different
18. You have no old baggage with someone new
19. Maybe they want something with ''no strings''
20. Different people have different likes and dislikes
21. Their spouses might not be interested in doing the sexual things the men want to try out (e.g. oral, greek, 3-ways, etc.) or even afraid or morally against such kinks.

1. Men never turn down options. Men usually don't get offers soon, so if they get an option, they will find it difficult to turn it down.

2. At times, men feel that they are not very attractive to women. So, if a woman shows little interest in them, they would grab the opportunity immediately. This helps in boosting their ego.
3. If your relationship is not working well and distance has cropped up between the two of you, then it is likely a reason for a man to cheat. Your man can find another woman who seems to be more interesting and shares common interests.

4. If you are argumentative or a big criticizer and criticize on your man every moment, then there are chances that your man would look out for a better option and cheat on you.

5. At times, the reason can be falling out of love. If your relationship has lost the spark, then there are chances that your man can look out for greener pastures to seek love. Men can easily fall out of love if the spark in a relationship is lost.

6. If you are not sharing a healthy sex life, then wandering for your man from the relationship is not a big deal. This is one big factor that keeps a man interested in the relationship. If your sex life is not all that great and you turn down your partners' moves often, then there is a possibility that the man might cheat.

7. At times, men cheat to take revenge on their partners. If they find out that their partner had been cheating on him, then they might also walk on the same path and cheat on you.

8. Men keep looking for changes. They always want to try something that is new and would give them a thrill. If they find an attractive woman, they might give a try and cheat on you.

9. There are many men who would try to cheat to see if they will get caught by their partner. They would want to check if they are smart enough to get away with the cheating.

10. If you have forgiven your man in the past for cheating on you, then he might develop the tendency of cheating again because they would know if they plead, you are likely to forgive him

xoxoxo.

Za leo mkuu,

Kimombo hakipandi sana, ila kwa uelewa wangu katika hii mada, kama basi mtu akiwa na hisia kuwa partner wake anachit ni vizuri na yeye achit ili wote wawe balance. Sioni haja yakwenda kutafuta ushauri usiosaidia, nivizuri tujisaidie (first aid) kwanza then kama hajawork out ndo twende sasa hospitaly

Marriage, oh marriage.... are you worth the effort? The suspicion, the worry, uncertainty, doubts. What happened to you? Husbands and wives are cheating left right and centre, why did they get married in the first place one wonders. Is the phrase " I do " cursed? Why do things change soon after these words are uttered?

My Bro Bubu Msemaji

Thanx for bringing this issue, I am a professional cheater, I came to realise is due to unpreciation and insecure from my partners...ningeweza kupata kuwa admired, appreciated na kuwa na security kwenye mapenzi walahi nisingekuwa kwenye dimbwi la kucheat, nakubaliana kabisa mara nyingi wanaume hucheat kwa wanawake wabaya kuliko wenzi wao, hebu muangalie Hillary na Monica Lewisky mzee Bill hakuwa na sababu ya kwenda kwa Monica...darasa zuri

hahaha umeniua wewe uliyejiita professional cheater,wala huoni aibu??duh kweli dunia ya sasa yarudi reverse!
haya kina mama kazi kwenu

Za leo mkuu,

Kimombo hakipandi sana, ila kwa uelewa wangu katika hii mada, kama basi mtu akiwa na hisia kuwa partner wake anachit ni vizuri na yeye achit ili wote wawe balance. Sioni haja yakwenda kutafuta ushauri usiosaidia, nivizuri tujisaidie (first aid) kwanza then kama hajawork out ndo twende sasa hospitaly

Unaua ndugu yangu,kwa hali hiyo hatutafika coz huwezi juwa hiyo first aid ina

matatizo gani so unaweza ruka mkojo ukakanyaga ****

Unaua ndugu yangu,kwa hali hiyo hatutafika coz huwezi juwa hiyo first aid ina

matatizo gani so unaweza ruka mkojo ukakanyaga ****

Ila wahenga walisema dawa ya moto ni moto na ukianza namalizia.

Ha ha ha ha Dawa ya moto ni maji, kila la heri lakini angalia usiguse mawayawaya ya umeme :)

Ndio kabisa, ila sio lazima kugawa kamili kamili...yaani angalau ku flirt tu or whatever..halafu nahakikisha anapata habari (exaggerated) ...ili nayeye aonje tamu yake

Thanks BUBU, I can't agree more.
Sasa ninahitaji somo kuhusu "Besides sex -- other reasons women cheat"

Soma pia Kenyan Husband...
"I have no regrets about taking a Tanzanian wife,".

Here is a classic scenario, a woman made her husband feel 'appreciated':
The two of you are having a small quarrel (and this is becoming your everyday sport). Katika majibizano wife anamwambia mumewe, "wanaume wakiitwa na wewe utaenda"?!

"wanaume wakiitwa na wewe utaenda"?
Duh mzee inabidi ubishi uishie hapohapo tu; maana ni kebehi ya hali ya juu hiyo. Mtu mzima unanyweeea unatafuta sehemu ya kwenda....

Ndio kabisa, ila sio lazima kugawa kamili kamili...yaani angalau ku flirt tu or whatever..halafu nahakikisha anapata habari (exaggerated) ...ili nayeye aonje tamu yake

Thank my friend kwa kunifafanulizia vizuri... habari ndo hio!

What's the number one reason men cheat? Ninety-two percent of men said it wasn't primarily about the sex.

These men are liars!
mary

I finished reading this article and felt nothing but defeated myself. To me it's just one more thing I have to worry about - it's not enough to take care of the kids and the house and the lawn and the pets and have two jobs but now I need to worry about telling my husband how wonderful he is when he's on the couch watching baseball and not helping with any of these things. I feel like I'M the one who can't win here. And from what I hear this is common among the women I know. I felt defeated reading this!!!
AE

What this article does that hinders the whole dialogue is that it remains prejudice in its assertion that males are the cheaters. While I make no excuses for the reasons/excuses people do the things they do, the article could have been more balanced by addressing why women cheat, or what they do that contributes to the cheating spouse. Finally, what similarities do heterosexual and homosexual relationships have regarding fidelity?
ERIC

American men are starting to get fed up with their American wives...who are spoiled and brainwashed from 20 years of feminist "princess propaganda" into thinking that they are the ones who should be entitled to everything good in the marriage. When things get a bit rocky, most women prepare to bail and look for someone better--all the time secretly scheming to get as much of the assets as possible--before they find a new stud to spoil them. They are withholding sex as a weapon in order to get what they want--because they know they can get away with it! No wonder American men are now looking at other countries for their true soul mates--These women APPRECIATE what we have to offer--until they too eventually get spoiled by the current feminist culture in our country. We have turned into wimps!
Bruce

Thanks BUBU, I can't agree more.
Sasa ninahitaji somo kuhusu "Besides sex -- other reasons women cheat"
Soma pia Kenyan Husband...
"I have no regrets about taking a Tanzanian wife,".

Here is a classic scenario, a woman made her husband feel 'appreciated':
The two of you are having a small quarrel (and this is becoming your everyday sport). Katika majibizano wife anamwambia mumewe, "wanaume wakiitwa na wewe utaenda"?!

kipindi nipo chuo (abroad) nilikutana na dada mmoja mrembo aliyekuwa kaacha mumewe na wanawe bongo kaja kusoma masters, basi akawa anachiti na jamaa mmoja mGhana...ila ikawa kila nikiongea na huyu sister kuhusu maswala ya familia inaonekana anampenda mumewe na hakutaka kabisa ajue kama anachiti...nikadadisi kulikoni akaniambia actually mumewe ni cheater na amesha wahi kumkamata mwenyewe more than once... na roho inamuuma sana sana ila hawezi kuacha ndoa na wanawe kwa hiyo na yeye anachiti ili kupunguza maumivu ya roho...

na kweli huyo dada alichiti hadi siku anarudi bongo...baada ya miaka miwili mitatu, siku moja nilikutana nae tz akasema hajachiti tena tangu arudi ....lakini siku hizi akimkamata mumewe haoni uchungu sana kama ilivyokuwa kabla ya kuchiti na mghana

My point
may be one of other reasons women cheat is trying to deal with the pain from their cheating husbands....!

kipindi nipo chuo (abroad) nilikutana na dada mmoja mrembo aliyekuwa kaacha mumewe na wanawe bongo kaja kusoma masters, basi akawa anachiti na jamaa mmoja mGhana...ila ikawa kila nikiongea na huyu sister kuhusu maswala ya familia inaonekana anampenda mumewe na hakutaka kabisa ajue kama anachiti...nikadadisi kulikoni akaniambia actually mumewe ni cheater na amesha wahi kumkamata mwenyewe more than once... na roho inamuuma sana sana ila hawezi kuacha ndoa na wanawe kwa hiyo na yeye anachiti ili kupunguza maumivu ya roho...

na kweli huyo dada alichiti hadi siku anarudi bongo...baada ya miaka miwili mitatu, siku moja nilikutana nae tz akasema hajachiti tena tangu arudi ....lakini siku hizi akimkamata mumewe haoni uchungu sana kama ilivyokuwa kabla ya kuchiti na mghana

My point
may be one of other reasons women cheat is trying to deal with the pain from their cheating husbands....!
Yes, that could be one of the reasons, but I feel that it is not among the 3 main reasons women cheat. To be under-appreciated could be among the top 3.

Sasa hivi naisoma hii.

My husband has cheated on me since not long after we were married. I have caught him 3 times. He says it isn't me but something he has to do. He was brought up that way so that is the only way he knows. However; I am not going to be hurt by him any longer, the last one did it she came to my house while he was working to meet me. I think it is a lot of balogny that guys feel neglected, not loved and appreciated. How about us women that work take care of kids clean etc. the only thing we get is that this is what were supposed to do. men are just animals they will have sex with anyone anywhere anytime!
ds

Why oh Why don't women hold themselves accountable for their bad relationships? women are always b!#ching about men cheating like they are beyond reproach, whatever! women cheat more than men and ask yourself with all these men cheating who are they cheating with? women! go on the internet dating sites and over 85% of people trying to score are women and most of them are in relationships. Women are the creator of the lie because past their maternal instincts there is nothing true about them, from their fake boobs to their fake lips to their fake hair, i can do this all day and not run out of things that are wrong with them, women walk around with all this power and do not know how to use it, instead they misuse it and try to hold men accountable. Let's call it exactly the way it is...if it wasn't for god blessing women with (assets) they would pretty much go around unnoticed, the fact is men and women have nothing in common except sex, you show me a guy who just likes to hang out with a women and doesn't want sex, we tolerate women so we can get it. So the problem is not so much with men more than it is with women, take a deeper look in the mirror and see who's fooling who.
K

Interestingly, women have been closing the gap on marital infidelity. Regardless, statistics are showing more than half as many women as men, are unfaithful, yet Oprah makes no mention and, as typical, sticks men as the problem. So, if men have an affair, it's their fault, and women having affairs, either does not exist, is not their fault, or is not a problem. Typical Oprah
Todd

Seriously ladies? Read the story more carefully....He is not giving the Men and OK to cheat, he is pointing out the things that make them cheat. This is strictly and information piece. It is for your information. You can take this information and use it to your advantage in you marriage or you can ignore it
and just say men are pigs and get cheated on
and then act surprised when it happens....up to you.

A Married Man

Duh mzee inabidi ubishi uishie hapohapo tu; maana ni kebehi ya hali ya juu hiyo. Mtu mzima unanyweeea unatafuta sehemu ya kwenda....
...Kwa nini unanywea? Kama ni mkeo na umekula kiboga siku zote hizo tatizo nini? Kwani uanaume ni kitu gani?

First Lady, mbona kimya? au mada haijakugusa maana ndio maeneo yako haya

...Kwa nini unanywea? Kama ni mkeo na umekula kiboga siku zote hizo tatizo nini? Kwani uanaume ni kitu gani?

Are you a female kipanga?
Mke akinitamkia hiyo kauli - it will put a permanent scar on my brain. That is exactly the opposite of "a wife massaging her husband's ego".

Back
Top Bottom