Elections 2010 BBC News--Tanzanians elect first albino to parliament

BongoTz

JF-Expert Member
Nov 3, 2006
An albino has been elected as an MP in Tanzania for the first time. "This win is a victory not only for me but also for all the albinos in this country," Salum Khalfani Bar'wani, from the opposition Cuf party, told the BBC.
Albinos have suffered widespread persecution in Tanzania, where witch doctors say magic potions made with albino body parts can bring good luck.
The government has been campaigning against the discrimination, and an albino MP was appointed two years ago.
But Al-Shymaa Kway-Geer was nominated by the president who is able to appoint 10 unelected members of parliament.
Over the past few years dozens of albinos have been killed in Tanzania, targets of body-snatchers, and the killings have spread to neighbouring Burundi.
In August a court in Tanzania sentenced a Kenyan to 17 years in jail on charges of trying to sell an albino person.
I am so touched that this is the first time in the electoral history of this country for an albino to be elected by the people ”
Salum Khalfani Bar'wani
Mr Bar'wani said he was grateful to the constituents in Lindi Urban, in the remote south-east of the country, for electing him.
"My joy has no end," he told the BBC Swahili Service.
"The people of Lindi have used their wisdom and have appreciated clearly that albinos are capable.
"I am so touched that this is the first time in the electoral history of this country for an albino to be elected by the people in a popular contest to be their representative in parliament - and not through sympathy votes or decisions."
He said his success also showed people in Lindi where tired of the leadership of the ruling CCM party.
So far five cabinet ministers from the ruling party have lost their seats to the opposition in the elections.
Incumbent President Jakaya Kikwete is expected to win the presidential poll, although he faces a strong challenge from former priest Willibrod Slaa and university professor Ibrahim Lipumba, among six opposition candidates.
On Monday, opposition supporters held protests in several parts of the country at the slow pace of announcing the result of Sunday's general election.

Source: bbcnews.com

Kweli hili swala la albino lilitia sana haibu Tanzania. Mungu Ibariki Tanzania, Mungu ondoa umasikini Tanzania

I am more than happy to be a Lindian today. The people of Lindi have spoken by showcasing to the world that it is policies (sera), and not the color of someone's skin (in this case deficiency of melanin pigment) that matter. You people (Lindians) should be proud of yourself for proving the cynics wrong. Many people thought it was a daunting task to remove the incumbent, Silipi Deni (Abdul-azizi) from the throne; nonetheless, they underestimated Lindi's quest for change.

Let me thank my fellow Lindians once again for bringing positive changes in their district. I hope Mr. Barwani will serve his constituent diligently by acting as a catalyst in transforming Lindi and other part of country. Last but not least, Mr. Barwani has shown to the country that anything is possible if you put mind into it! This guy didn't allow his disability to hinder him from accomplishing his dreams; instead, he fought so hard against CCM machinery and eventually he emerged a winner.

This is classic example of perseverance and determination and as an old saying goes "Where there's a will, there's away."

May God bless Lindi, and may God Bless Tanzania.

I am more than happy to be a Lindian today. The people of Lindi have spoken by showcasing to the world that it is policies (sera), and not the color of someone's skin (in this case deficiency of melanin pigment) that matter. You people (Lindians) should be proud of yourself for proving the cynics wrong. Many people thought it was a daunting task to remove the incumbent, Silipi Deni (Abdul-azizi) from the throne; nonetheless, they underestimated Lindi’s quest for change.

Let me thank my fellow Lindians once again for bringing positive changes in their district. I hope Mr. Barwani will serve his constituent diligently by acting as a catalyst in transforming Lindi and other part of country. Last but not least, Mr. Barwani has shown to the country that anything is possible if you put mind into it! This guy didn't allow his disability to hinder him from accomplishing his dreams; instead, he fought so hard against CCM machinery and eventually he emerged a winner.

This is classic example of perseverance and determination and as an old saying goes “Where there's a will, there's away."

May God bless Lindi, and may God Bless Tanzania.

Well said, Rufiji!!

Back
Top Bottom