BBC News: Baton Rouge killing: Black Lives Matter protest photo hailed as 'legendary'

Tony Laurent

JF-Expert Member
Jan 5, 2011
Protests have continued in the United States, after violent incidents involving African American people and the police last week.
On Sunday, dozens of protesters were arrested in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where a black man was killed by police last Tuesday.

In an atmosphere of heightened racial tension, and amid growing debate over the seeming militarisation of American police, one photo has stood out.

It was taken by Jonathan Bachman, a New Orleans-based photographer who has been working for Reuters in the past few days.
The image shows Ieshia Evans, a young woman in a dress standing calmly in front of two police officers wearing layers of armour, and appearing to approach her in a hurry.

'I am a vessel': #BlackLivesMatter muse
The photograph was taken outside the Baton Rouge police headquarters, where most of Saturday's protest was focused.
"The police were called out to clear Airline Highway where demonstrators had blocked the road... They managed to get most of the protesters off to the side," Bachman told the BBC via email.

"I was on the side of the road photographing protesters arguing with police.

"I looked over my right shoulder and saw the woman step onto the road. She was making her stand. She said nothing and was not moving. It was clear that the police were going to have to detain her."

Reuters reported that she was later detained.

Then Ms Evans herself took to Facebook to respond to the furore, saying she was "alive and safe".

"I appreciate the well wishes and love, but this is the work of God. I am a vessel!"

'Humbled'
Among the most prominent people to share the image on Facebook was Shaun King, a senior justice reporter with the New York Daily News newspaper with more than 560,000 followers.

One comment beneath his post, liked more than 3,300 times, called it a "legendary picture" that "will be in history and art books from this time".

- Baton Rouge killing: Black Lives Matter protest photo hailed as 'legendary' - BBC News

Back
Top Bottom