Barrick builds wall around Tanzania mine

engmtolera

JF-Expert Member
Oct 21, 2010
African Barrick Gold (ABGL.L) is building a 14-kilometre wall around one of its Tanzanian mines as part of new security measures aimed at preventing future attacks by villagers seeking to steal gold ore.

Construction of the security wall at the North Mara Gold Mine in Mara region follows a raid on the facility in May by around 1,500 intruders, which left five people dead.

"Construction is now underway on a new 14-kilometer security wall to prevent illegal miners from accessing hazardous areas. Construction is expected to be completed in early 2012," ABG said in a statement seen by Reuters on Saturday.

"Additional CCTV cameras have been installed in sensitive areas at the mine. New camera equipment has also been ordered to support the upgraded security wall."

source: Barrick builds wall around Tanzania mine - Wavuti

That might be an immedite possible solution to the incessant problem of theft and invasions by thugs.

African Barrick Gold (ABGL.L) is building a 14-kilometre wall around one of its Tanzanian mines as part of new security measures aimed at preventing future attacks by villagers seeking to steal gold ore.

I think it should be the other way round. the gold is owned by the villagers, how the hell can they steal something which is theirs. I think it is African Barrick Gold who are stealing from the villagers, as the Gold is not theirs and whatever they pay, If any, is mockery.

This is a temporary solution, and am afraid nobody wants to touch the real root cause of the problems at North Mara. We should remember the first name for that mine operations was Afrika Mashariki, then Placerdome before being taken by Barrick and renamed North Mara. I think the problem started way back and has been passed on to Barrick, who because of arrogance of some few individuals, have brown the whole thing out of proportion.

Back
Top Bottom