Balala: Tanzania not cooperating with East African tourism plan

Geza Ulole

JF-Expert Member
Oct 31, 2009
Balala: Tanzania not cooperating with East African tourism plan

0a7_11.gif
Kenya's Tourism Minister Najib Balala / Image via nation.co.ke

Oct 18, 2010 NAIROBI, Kenya - Plans to promote East African Community as a single tourism destination are hindered by Tanzanian’s unwillingness to confer on how the partner states are to cooperate within the project.
Capital FM Kenya reports that Tourism Minister, Najib Balala, on Monday accused his Tanzanian counterparts of refusing to cooperate with the other members to work out how they can address the various issues in the tourism sector.
“I have been trying to bring the East African Council of Ministers together but it is not very easy. Tanzania is not cooperating. We have been having challenges with Tanzania not only on opening up the Serengeti-Maasai Mara border but also on just setting up meetings,” he complained.
Correspondence to Tanzania’s Tourism Ministry has gone largely unanswered the minister who was addressing private sector players and ministers during the Prime Minister Round Table forum added.
The continued closure of the border, despite the fact that the region is trying to implement the Common Market Protocol which envisages open borders not only affects the performance of the sector but the integration process, he went on.
According to Capital FM Kenya, there are many issues that still remain unresolved chief among them the issuance of a single entry visa to their national parks, a situation which the minister said was frustrating him as it was working against Kenya’s interest.
“When our drivers reach Tanzania, they get arrested yet when their drivers and tour buses come to Kenya, we treat them as if they are local drivers. I’m getting frustration particularly from (Kenya’s) Trade ministry that is accusing me of not taking action against this imbalance,” he said.
The construction of a proposed highway through the Serengeti National Park, which conservationists have warned would have detrimental consequences on the two countries wildlife and tourism sectors, is another issue which is further expected to strain the relations between two countries.
This is particularly so as President Jakaya Kikwete recently maintained that the construction of the road would go on arguing that it would not have any negative impact on the larger Serengeti ecosystem and the Maasai Mara National Reserve as it has been claimed.
But while negotiations are still going on, Mr Balala was of the view that the East African Community Secretariat should intervene to ensure a level playing field for all.
At the same time the minister called on the regional governments to first adopt online payment systems which would boost tourist numbers in the region.
Like the rest of Africa, East Africa hardly markets its tourism products over the Internet which presents a challenge when it comes to finding and booking tourism destinations on the web.
“There are too many queues at the airport particularly when passengers are arriving; we don’t have a credit card system where people can pay and this is frustrating tourism. We need more counters, this is not rocket science, it can be done in one week,” he pointed out.
Meanwhile, he disclosed that together with the Transport Ministry, they were developing a national strategy of increasing tourists and scheduled airlines into the country. Doing so would make a case for the upgrading of the country’s airports which have been done to ensure that they can handle more passengers.
Source: capitalfm.co.ke

East African Community Tourism Plan Balala: Tanzania not cooperating with East African tourism plan - eTurboNews.com

MY TAKE
Does this guy know anything got to do with diplomacy? how will he be in a position to negotiate with the Tanzanian counterparty to remove the said obstacles after his outbursts? Lets be fair guys Tanzanian Government gives official explanations on why they resists The East African plan! It is not upon Balala to force Tanzania to follow his plan! why not making the plan lucrative to Tanzania to convice them instead of these stupid allegations!

babulao slaa haji, wacha kujidanganya, sote twajua tanzania haitowahi tawaliwa na chama pinzani,.lets be real for once.

Hakuna cha EAC wala nini tulisema Tanzania ni ya watanzania ngoja nikija shika madaraka nitawafukuzilia mbali hatumtegemei Slaa pekee tupo wengi tu Wacha wakome.

Ati tuwabembeleze si walisema mt. Kilimanjaro na Serengeti zipo Kenya ... .... Janja ya nyau tikisa makia ... ... nyau!

Hakuna nchi inayoitwa Est Afrika absolutely stupid.

With or without CCM, national interests will always prevail! Hatusubiri chama chochote kuwapiga nyang'au iwapo wataendeleza ujinga wa kudai visivyo vyao! Njaa zenu bwana Smatta zisiwe tabu kwetu! Try Southern Sudan, labda ndio mtawaendesha!

Teh, teh, the difunct eac is not our preority. That is why tukikuta gari ya kenya serengeti, au ngorongoro the driver will land in jail. We are playing hard balala.

According to Capital FM Kenya, there are many issues that still remain unresolved chief among them the issuance of a single entry visa to their national parks, a situation which the minister said was frustrating him as it was working against Kenya's interest.

Like the rest of Africa, East Africa hardly markets its tourism products over the Internet which presents a challenge when it comes to finding and booking tourism destinations on the web.

I have actually seen Kenyan online commercials that have stated 'come to Kenya to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro...' ~ In my opinion, such misleading commercials and many other ways of pulling tourists in Kenya and then just drive them to Tanzania while majority of their spending is done in Kenya is 'Uhuni' to say the least... it could very well be the reason for hesitancy and maybe careful consideration... for instance, off the quote below, could it be that it stops the point I made, i.e. - they can't transport tourists for a day to the park and bring them back to Kenya for more spending towards only Kenya's economy?

We have been having challenges with Tanzania not only on opening up the Serengeti-Maasai Mara border

If a tourist is intentionally misled to land in Kenya when they want to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro or visit Serengeti or Ngorongoro crater ~
why should Tanzania keep accomodating that without receiving an equitable share??? What has to be worked out is how to obtain fair and equitable share - not simply cries of border opening... Mind you, InI always for United Afrika, but InI can't support greedy 'uhuni' - the kind that wants to benefit on the backs of bredrens.... just InI observation

I posted something here where is my post? au kuna censoring siku hizi.

use Tanzanians need the deal bady, but we should only agree when it's a win win deal. otherwise not.and also, lets not politise and write rubbish here, I am half Tanzanian and Kenyan , how am I supposed to feel when you write crap about each side.

babulao slaa haji, wacha kujidanganya, sote twajua tanzania haitowahi tawaliwa na chama pinzani,.lets be real for once.

Huyo chizi wenu wa ccm anaepokea maelezo yenu wananchi watamhukumu. Pia ule udaktari wa heshima mliompa kikwete sasa anakabiliwa na madaktari wa ukweli. EAC can go to hell. Tanzania first for ever. Balala analilia manufaa ya Kenya kwa mgongo wa Tanzania. TRASH

Sawa Smatta endeleeni kufikiri kuwa Tanzania ni nchi nyepesi kihivyo, lakini ukweli ni kuwa watanzania wako makini sana na mambo yao kuliko mnavyowafikiria. Hiyo jumuiya mnayoitegemea itapigwa danadana mpaka mtakata tamaa.

Watu kama smatta ni watu waliopoteza dira katika thinking yao!!!

They want us to bring changes on their mode!!! Nope, we have ours which, i am saying to you, will efficiently works my broda/sis!!! Go to hel mkuu, we will be with you when we have sorted our internal issues!! Never think we need anyone from outside to resolves our problems, like it happened to you!!!:nono::nono::nono:

kwani post yangu mnaiona leo, i was just stating facts, not trying to rub anyone the wrong way. ccm itatawala kwa miaka mingi sana, kwa sababu ina apeal kwa watu wa vijijini, most of whom fear change. ukweli usemwe.

Unachosema kwa sasa ni kweli. Lakini sote tunajua kuwa mabadiliko huwa hayaji mara moja. Hivyo inawezekana kabisa Tanzania ikatawaliwa na chama pinzani miaka ijayo.

Back
Top Bottom