Authorship of Malaika song is disputed

LazyDog

JF-Expert Member
Apr 10, 2008
Nasikia hii patashika ilishawahi kwenda hadi Bungeni hapa Bongo.

Malaika, Nakupenda Malaika... Ningekuoa Malaika...
Here's the whole song "Malaika" with translation

Authorship of Malaika is disputed. A Kenyan named Fadhili William recorded it a couple of times in the late 50s and early 60s. He says he wrote it and he is generally recognized as the owner. Miriam Makeba made it famous with her recording of it in 1964(?). Angelique Kidjo copied Makeba's version sound for sound as best she could but between the two of them, they really mangled the words in Swahili. You can hear Makeba singing the song to her husband Stokely Carmichael and Angelique put all that stuff in her song not knowing what she was saying. It appears the song was written in the 40s by a Tanzanian but two different people are credited. So no one really knows (except for Fadhili and the Tanzanians).

SOURCE

Source nyingine (ugandaforum.com) inakaribia kutoweka. Inaonekana hii forum haipo online tena, ila cheki copy ya source ya hiyo article kwenye google CACHE hapa. Content nitaiweka hapa chini kwa kumbukumbu.

Malaika star Fadhili William died last Sunday in Nairobi at age 62. It's a song in swahili, a love song. It simply says, I Love You , my Angle.

Authorship was disputed, the Kenyan singer Fadhili William sang it a couple of times in the fifties, says he wrote it and is generally recognized as the owner. Miriam Makeba (South African), made it famous with her early recording of early 1963.

Abdulaziz Abdulaziz Y. Lodhi Abdulaziz.Lodhi@afro.uu.se Dept. of Asian & African Languages Uppsala University, Homepage:"http://www.afro.uu.se" wrote recently on Namaskar-Africana:

Malaika was composed by a mechanic called Adam Salim of Nairobi (born 1916). He composed the song in 1945 for his very beautiful girlfriend Halima Ramadhani Maruwa. The parents of both of them disapproved of their relationship, and Halima was forced by her parents to marry an Asian tajiri. Adam Salim & Trio at many clubs in Kenya & Tanganyika singing about 15 other songs by Adam. In 1959, the young Fadhili Williams of Nairobi who had played mandolin briefly with Adam & Trio recorded Malaika at the now deffunct Columbia east african Music Co. Adam got SIXTY shillings for that!!! Adam was later involved in a bad accident, was hospitalised for 3 yrs in Nairobi, moved to Moshi where his parents then lived. Laterer he worked for 25 yrs as a bicycle fundi at the Kilombero Sugar Factory in Morogoro and moved back to Moshi with his 2nd wife & kids.

In 1986, the SUNDAY NEWS of Dsm initiated an extensive investigation into this Malaika thing after the widow of the Kenyan artist Frank Charo claimed that her husband was the composer of Malaika. Of course Fadhili denied it officially at a concert at the Kilimanjaro Hotel in Dar in May 86. This affair was publicised much in the EA media in 86 with pictures of Adam and Halima & Halima's children & grandchildren. Fadhili won the fight and has the total copyright - he's been unable to produce his angel though!

Halima & many others have testified that Adam Salim wrote Malaika for her. I was told this way back in 1967 by my mjomba, maternal uncle, Ayoub Ahmed Ayoub Alarakhia Rangooni alias Ustad Mitu who had met Adam & Trio first in 1948. Mjomba Mitu was a musician, singer & composer who worked with several groups, both Asian and mixed Afro-Asian. He composed both in Hindustani and Kiswahili, and played both the harmonium and the tabla. He also taught music in Zanzibar and Dar for many years, and in the 50s he performed with the Zanzibari lady singer Siti binti Saad (the first artist from EA who was made immortal by His Master's Voice in Bombay in 1929 with the help of Sheikh Abdulkarim Khan of Zanzibar who was the HMV agent there). My mjomba died in the early 80s. His only song recorded originally on a 78 rev and sung by Siti, Baba Pakistan Hindustani ee!, has now been reproduced by Bi Kidude on video. It's a song about a young woman who is appealing her father not to leave India (where she has her darling) and move to Pakistan. Ustad Mitu was in India and Burma at the time of the Partition, and was one of the founders of the Muslim League in Zanzibar. He went to Asia working as a marine engineer with the Cable & Wireless ship that was laying the telegraph & telephone lines in the Indian Ocean, and to visit the grave his father in Rangoon/Burma. (My mother's father was an immigrant from Rangoon - that's where their surname came from - and he died in Rangoon in 1916 while visiting his homeland.)

Incidentally, one other (much more famous) Znz (of Malawian origin) on that ship sailor) with my mjomba was the sailor Abeid Amani Karume who later became a trade unionist ending his life as the first President of Znz.

Well, I've jumped from Malaika to my Mjomba to Karume etc. My folks say I have this notorious tendency to tell long stories which sound like lectures. I hope you've enjoyed reading this.

http://www.nationaudio.com/News/DailyNation/Today/Features/Feature44.html.

Mwenye muda akiweza kuiweka hii kwenye WIKIPEDIA itakuwa bomba sana.

...Another case was the song "Malaika", where the first person to register it was Fadhili William, and we discovered that he was a pauper in the suburbs of Nairobi. If you look at the copyright registers, there are about 15-20 people and publishing companies claiming authorship and control over Malaika. Fadhili William died a few weeks ago, and according to a journalist I spoke to, "did not have a large estate".

It's extraordinary that the system, even when you get it registered, even when you have the international conventions, doesn't really seem to look after the interests of people in countries far away who don't have the right sort of lawyers, or who can't afford them. I trust that this has not been too disheartening an introduction to the theme of copyright.

SOURCE: CONFERENCE ON CULTURAL DIVERSITY

Wow, it is such a great history and dillema, am curious to know the answer.

Last edited:
.... huu wimbo kuipata source yake itakuwa patashika kubwa. Kuna kesi kama hii ilitokea South Africa kuhusiana na ule themed song kwenye Lion King, movie and musical.
.... kesi ilienda miaka mingi, mpaka kama sikosei mwaka jana ndiyo wakamjua ni nani haswa mwanzilishi/mtunzi wa huo wimbo. Warner Bros,(if not mistaken) kwa hiyo wanamlipa yeye (familia yake) loyalty hivi sasa.

Btw, this story is not of recent date. Just thought it would be nice to share.

Huu wimbo mtunzi ni Mtanzania alitunga wimbo huu akimsifia mpenzi wake ambaye alifariki miaka ya 90 akiwa mzee sana. Aliitwa Malaika ni wa huko mkoa wa Kilimanjaro, aliimba kusifu kwa uzuri wake. Lakini kama unavyojua uzembe wa sisi Watanzania wakauteka wimbo wetu na leo tunatafuta nani alianza kuuimba oh!! ni mali ya nani. Ni hivi sasa Serikali yetu inashupalia kuhusu mlima Kilimanjaro lakini kwa miaka mingi sana Wakenya wamekuwa wakitangaza kwamba Mlima Kilimanjaro ni wa Kenya na sisi tukakaa kimya bila kukemea hali hiyo. Wanzania tu wavivu sana wa kuyachukulia mambo kwa makini. Wakati umefika tuamke.

Huu wimbo mtunzi ni Mtanzania alitunga wimbo huu akimsifia mpenzi wake ambaye alifariki miaka ya 90 akiwa mzee sana. Aliitwa Malaika ni wa huko mkoa wa Kilimanjaro, aliimba kusifu kwa uzuri wake. Lakini kama unavyojua uzembe wa sisi Watanzania wakauteka wimbo wetu na leo tunatafuta nani alianza kuuimba oh!! ni mali ya nani. Ni hivi sasa Serikali yetu inashupalia kuhusu mlima Kilimanjaro lakini kwa miaka mingi sana Wakenya wamekuwa wakitangaza kwamba Mlima Kilimanjaro ni wa Kenya na sisi tukakaa kimya bila kukemea hali hiyo. Wanzania tu wavivu sana wa kuyachukulia mambo kwa makini. Wakati umefika tuamke.

Msemaovyo, sina uhakika na vile unaposema miaka ya 90.. isije ikawa unamaanisha 1890s... :confused:,

Anyway, kama umemaanisha miaka ya 1990s, then sidhani kama ni sahihi, maana wimbo huo miye nimeusikia toka early 1980s.. miaka ya 1983 niliusikia wimbo huo ukipigwa kwenye santuri.

I thought i should just point out about this. Thanx.

SteveD.

Msemaovyo, sina uhakika na vile unaposema miaka ya 90.. isije ikawa unamaanisha 1890s... :confused:,

Anyway, kama umemaanisha miaka ya 1990s, then sidhani kama ni sahihi, maana wimbo huo miye nimeusikia toka early 1980s.. miaka ya 1983 niliusikia wimbo huo ukipigwa kwenye santuri.

I thought i should just point out about this. Thanx.

SteveD.

Miaka ya 90 niliyotaja siyo ya kutungwa wimbo ni kipindi ambacho niliwahi kusikia kuwa aliyeimbwa alifariki miaka hiyo ni fununu nilizopata uhakika kamili nitafuatilia mpaka kieleweke-Wimbo wetu huu.

Sina la kusema kuhusu huu wimbo ila I know kwamba nina upenda mno hasa Miriam Makeba alivyouimba.Its good kama wakijua mtunzi wa nyimbo hii ili familia yake ipate haki zao maana kuna wakati nilishasikia mke wa Mbaraka Mwinshehe analalamika watu wanaotumia nyimbo za mumewe kinyume na haki.

Kuna mtu kafungua thread kuulizia mtunzi wa wimbo wa malaika. Mods ingekua vizuri kama mngeunga thread yake na hii ili apate other stories too.

.... huu wimbo kuipata source yake itakuwa patashika kubwa. Kuna kesi kama hii ilitokea South Africa kuhusiana na ule themed song kwenye Lion King, movie and musical.
.... kesi ilienda miaka mingi, mpaka kama sikosei mwaka jana ndiyo wakamjua ni nani haswa mwanzilishi/mtunzi wa huo wimbo. Warner Bros,(if not mistaken) kwa hiyo wanamlipa yeye (familia yake) loyalty hivi sasa.

Ule ulitungwa na msauzi mmoja mwaka 1926 ukienda kwa jina la "imbube"