Anderlek Prison or School? Who is at Fault?

Dec 22, 2012

It is perplexing why Mwalimu Alexander Kazimil has got it right academically but he has definitely got it extremely wrong administratively. A remedy to the present situation prevailing at his school has to be instituted almost immediately, so I think. Scholars at his school are subjected to severe and chronic emotional stress and occasionally to physical injury by the persistent caning that his academic staff continuously administer to students at his school. Extensive and excessive use of caning or beating with sticks of all sorts is simply abuse of highest order and is a matter that should not be treated by the community as a non-issue. As the jury, public and private, is still out on this serious issue of caning, what does Mwalimu Kazimil do to address this caning issue which is currently a dreadful hallmark of his school and a regular feature?

His school, which is in Kahama in Shinyanga Region, has all of its students not only troubled by frequent sirens sent over the air by the neighbouring Buzwagi Mine but also distressed by an alarmingly increasing scale of rampant canes that are administered by academic staff to students. Parents, the community around the school and the scholars themselves have never come to grips on why strokes are the order of the day in a school whose academic records rank among the top in Shinyanga and also Tanzania. While the annoying sirens can be endured, the troubling and haphazardly growing pattern of behaviour by staff who find dangerous satisfaction in the practice has to be checked.

rddOXYNfihAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
This private project offering education to our youth at secondary school O-level is registered as Anderlek Ridges Secondary School by the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training (S.2465). Owned and run by Mr Alexander Kazimil, the school is sister to Rocken Hill Academy also in Kahama. The latter began business much earlier. Anderlek Ridges Secondary School is co-educational with a boarding student population of well above 900.

CSEE 2012 examination results of the school issued by the National Examinations Council in May 2013 were among the best nation-wide and read as follows: Division I = 34, Division II = 53, Division III = 33, Division IV = 19 and Failed = 0. The centre’s position in its category (regionwise) was 2/187 and (nationwise) 36/3396. These results, by present standards, are simply fantastic and praiseworthy. Many parents have urged their offsprings to join the school for its renowned excellence. The school’s motto is “Quality Performance, Diligence and Consistence.” So the school advertises itself by remarking “Join Us and Be Better Educated - Welcome One, Welcome All.” Let us now hear about the caning that blemishes the school.

In many countries, caning is also an endorsed punishment in reform schools and as a prison disciplinary measure. Caning, not in a form which is strong or harsh in degree or intensity, is used to punish youngsters in many schools for serious (repeat serious) misconduct. Their governments encourage this but do not allow caning for girls - instead girls receive a longer form of detention - and no more than 6 strokes are permitted. A much smaller stick or other gadget is also used by some parents as punishment for their children of either sex. Although not encouraged by their governments, “the child must not be injured” by caning is the rule always almost everywhere these days.

While visiting a family related to me in Dar es Salaam three weeks ago, I heard and got disturbed by narrations of their 17-year old son on the caning situation at Anderlek Ridges Secondary School. I am an educational product of Tanzanian schools who later went on to become an educator in a number of schools country-wide; some with very high academic performance. What I heard from their son baffled me completely and had my conscience beaten. He talked of teachers going around on their duties with a bundle of sticks and a room full of sticks at the school with stocks being maintained by regular supplies from a tree garden in the school compound that has been put in a place for the purpose. This in itself is terrifying. Even more distressing is his narration that even average students are each guaranteed a minimum of 200 strokes in 60 days.

The parents of the boy, while being extremely impressed by the schoolÂ’s remarkable academic performance, were in a dilemma on whether to encourage the young man to persevere the traumatic experience that he had to go through or look for an alternative school where his pursuit of academics without scars similar to Anderlek ones could be obtained in a conducive and peaceful environment.

As said earlier, my experience as a student and a “mwalimu” for about 55 years was brought into immense testing and advice mode by the boy’s narrations. I urged the boy to persevere and we, somehow, would get a message sent to the public and Mwalimu Kazimil to ask him to institute deserving action to hands-on and positively address a situation that is not only damaging his good school’s name and image but severely and negatively taking its toll on the future of the students in many aspects. It is embarrassingly unfortunate also that parents of students at the school do not have occasions where they routinely meet staff of the school for reviews and discussions.

To sum it all, on a sad note and to probably show that the situation at Anderlek Ridges Secondary School warrants an immediate redress, the parents noted that a nurse, administering an intramuscular injection to the young boy a few days ago, had remarked that muscles on the boyÂ’s behind had abnormally stiffened. The father and mother now believe the obnoxious caning was being abnormally executed and hence the hardening.

For Mwalimu Kazimil and relevant authorities at whatever level, the above surely gives you plenty of food for urgent thought. Save our future generation from the atrocious corporal punishment. After all, schools are not prisons and the vice-versa is not true.

I wish the school well in its endeavours – and let it be a befitting model for the right actions, academically and administratively.

Niliandika hii miaka minne iliyopita. This time around it has happened again and good number of scholars at the Anderlek Prison (much preferred school) had to be hospitalized and the district police were involved.

Will someone in the Kahama District administration hierarchy clear the ongoing rumours about students who remain crippled after being caned to near death?

It is perplexing why Mwalimu Alexander Kazimil has got it right academically but he has definitely got it extremely wrong administratively. A remedy to the present situation prevailing at his school has to be instituted almost immediately, so I think. Scholars at his school are subjected to severe and chronic emotional stress and occasionally to physical injury by the persistent caning that his academic staff continuously administer to students at his school. Extensive and excessive use of caning or beating with sticks of all sorts is simply abuse of highest order and is a matter that should not be treated by the community as a non-issue. As the jury, public and private, is still out on this serious issue of caning, what does Mwalimu Kazimil do to address this caning issue which is currently a dreadful hallmark of his school and a regular feature?

His school, which is in Kahama in Shinyanga Region, has all of its students not only troubled by frequent sirens sent over the air by the neighbouring Buzwagi Mine but also distressed by an alarmingly increasing scale of rampant canes that are administered by academic staff to students. Parents, the community around the school and the scholars themselves have never come to grips on why strokes are the order of the day in a school whose academic records rank among the top in Shinyanga and also Tanzania. While the annoying sirens can be endured, the troubling and haphazardly growing pattern of behaviour by staff who find dangerous satisfaction in the practice has to be checked.

This private project offering education to our youth at secondary school O-level is registered as Anderlek Ridges Secondary School by the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training (S.2465). Owned and run by Mr Alexander Kazimil, Anderlek Ridges Secondary School is co-educational with a boarding student population of well above 900.

CSEE 2012 examination results of the school issued by the National Examinations Council in May 2013 were among the best nation-wide and read as follows: Division I = 34, Division II = 53, Division III = 33, Division IV = 19 and Failed = 0. The centreÂ’s position in its category (regionwise) was 2/187 and (nationwise) 36/3396. These results, by present standards, are simply fantastic and praiseworthy. Let us now hear about the caning that blemishes the school.

In many countries, caning is also an endorsed punishment in reform schools and as a prison disciplinary measure. Caning, not in a form which is strong or harsh in degree or intensity, is used to punish youngsters in many schools for serious (repeat serious) misconduct. Their governments encourage this but do not allow caning for girls - instead girls receive a longer form of detention - and no more than 6 strokes are permitted. A much smaller stick or other gadget is also used by some parents as punishment for their children of either sex. Although not encouraged by their governments, “the child must not be injured” by caning is the rule always almost everywhere these days.

While visiting a family related to me in Dar es Salaam three weeks ago, I heard and got disturbed by narrations of their 17-year old son on the caning situation at Anderlek Ridges Secondary School. I am an educational product of Tanzanian schools who later went on to become an educator in a number of schools country-wide; some with very high academic performance. What I heard from their son baffled me completely and had my conscience beaten. He talked of teachers going around on their duties with a bundle of sticks and a room full of sticks at the school with stocks being maintained by regular supplies from a tree garden in the school compound that has been put in a place for the purpose. This in itself is terrifying. Even more distressing is his narration that even average students are each guaranteed a minimum of 200 strokes in 60 days.

The parents of the boy, while being extremely impressed by the schoolÂ’s remarkable academic performance, were in a dilemma on whether to encourage the young man to persevere the traumatic experience that he had to go through or look for an alternative school where his pursuit of academics without scars similar to Anderlek ones could be obtained in a conducive and peaceful environment.

As said earlier, my experience as a student and a “mwalimu” for about 55 years was brought into immense testing and advice mode by the boy’s narrations. I urged the boy to persevere and we, somehow, would get a message sent to the public and Mwalimu Kazimil to ask him to institute deserving action to hands-on and positively address a situation that is not only damaging his good school’s name and image but severely and negatively taking its toll on the future of the students in many aspects. It is embarrassingly unfortunate also that parents of students at the school do not have occasions where they routinely meet staff of the school for reviews and discussions.

To sum it all, on a sad note and to probably show that the situation at Anderlek Ridges Secondary School warrants an immediate redress, the parents noted that a nurse, administering an intramuscular injection to the young boy a few days ago, had remarked that muscles on the boyÂ’s behind had abnormally stiffened. The father and mother now believe the obnoxious caning was being abnormally executed and hence the hardening.

For Mwalimu Kazimil and relevant authorities at whatever level, the above surely gives you plenty of food for urgent thought. Save our future generation from the atrocious corporal punishment. After all, schools are not prisons and the vice-versa is not true.

Interesting. But dear brother, it is not enough to write in JF. Go an extra mile to report the abuse to relevant organs. Surely, with your experience you know where to turn in such situation. It is possible, most parents weigh between caning and education performance and decide to go for the latter. But all I can say, report this matter to relevant authorities. Positive change starts with you and I.

Si una uhuru wa kumpeleka au kuacha?? Sijalisoma lote, umesema uongo kuhusu ving'ora na kelele za Buzwagi.... Wala hakuna kelele pale.

Mwache Alex afanye mambo yake..... I know that place in - out

Si una uhuru wa kumpeleka au kuacha?? Sijalisoma lote, umesema uongo kuhusu ving'ora na kelele za Buzwagi.... Wala hakuna kelele pale.

Stupid suggestion! How can you condone arrogance, brutal, or to say the least stupid training method?
Hawa ni binadamu. Wazazi changamkeni!!! Shuleni hatuendi kushinda mtihani tuu! Tunakwenda kupata elimu. Elimu siyo division 1, 2, 3, etc. Halafu wewe unakuja na upuuzi na kusifia mtu mpuuzi!

Rubbish!

between 2011-2014 i visited that school several times when i was sending to or taking back my kid from school. in all those trips i saw that copral punishment being instituted. am afraid if the school have trained teachers. and am having problems containing this boy ever since he completed at that school. academically he excelled, and now he is persueing an undergraduate course, but socialy, no.

Mm ni mwanafunz wa Alex ila si anderlek Nakumbuka zile canning za kina uncle albert sir kalinga and somebody uncle stubborn ...na mr.kazungu zilitujenga kwa kiasi chake ....usimnyime mtoto mapigo

Stupid suggestion! How can you condone arrogance, brutal, or to say the least stupid training method?
Hawa ni binadamu. Wazazi changamkeni!!! Shuleni hatuendi kushinda mtihani tuu! Tunakwenda kupata elimu. Elimu siyo division 1, 2, 3, etc. Halafu wewe unakuja na upuuzi na kusifia mtu mpuuzi!

Rubbish!
If you are in Rome do as Romans do mi cdhani kama kuja haja ya kulalamika kama unaona mwanao anaonewa mtoe mpeleke unakoona panafaa Sikh hiz hatupangiani

If you are in Rome do as Romans do mi cdhani kama kuja haja ya kulalamika kama unaona mwanao anaonewa mtoe mpeleke unakoona panafaa Sikh hiz hatupangiani
Again, another waste suggestion. Wengi wanasema kama wewe, eti kama hutaki muondoe mwanao. Who is mwanao mbele ya sheria. Baadaye utasikia watoto wakilawitiwa na waalimu halafu utueleze hayo hayo! Will that not be stupid?

Ukiwa na elimu nzuri utaelewa tu kwamba mtoto ni wako lakini uhai wake siyo wako. Tabia anayoijenga haikuhusu wewe peke yako tu, inatuhusu wote. Ukiwa na shule na unawinda wanafunzi kama wateja, usituharibie tabia za watoto kwa fimbo za kipuuzi eti washinde mtihani, ili iweje? Wakishinda mtihani hiyo ndiyo elimu?

between 2011-2014 i visited that school several times when i was sending to or taking back my kid from school. in all those trips i saw that copral punishment being instituted. am afraid if the school have trained teachers. and am having problems containing this boy ever since he ampleted at that school. academically he excelled, and now he is persueing an undergraduate course, but socialy, no.
Pole sana! Haya ndo nayasema, kwamba mialimu ya aina hiyo inatandika watoto ili washinde mitihani, baadaye ipate watoto wengi kwa kuamini kwamba shuleni watoto wanakwenda kupata div 1 tu. Shuleni watoto wanakwenda kuelimishwa. Kuelimishwa siyo kupigwa kama mbuzi.

Mtoto anapata div. 1 halafu hana ushujaa wa kuzungumza hadhalani kwa sababu tu alikuwa anahofia fimbo kwa miaka 4 ya sekondari. useless schooling!

Huu uzi muanzilishi umeushupalia sana, sioni mantiki yake kwa kweli. Naifahamu hiyo shule kwa undani kuliko wewe na najua kabisa kwa Kahama hakuna shule iliyokuwa na adhabu kama Muhongolo Progressive hivyo nakushangaa sana kwa kauli zako

Huu uzi muanzilishi umeushupalia sana, sioni mantiki yake kwa kweli. Naifahamu hiyo shule kwa undani kuliko wewe na najua kabisa kwa Kahama hakuna shule iliyokuwa na adhabu kama Muhongolo Progressive hivyo nakushangaa sana kwa kauli zako

do you think you can know a place more than a student ww kmaa mzaz unakuja kumchukua closin day na kumleta opening wen all de staff members wanakuchekea tuuu na ur son or daughter iz smart en clean do u think dat iz hw he/she iz livin in that place mwanafunzi pekee anajua hata mwalimu aelewi kwasababu ana akili kama zako souh kama u know de xcul in and out then ask ur son abt the xcul life there

the fact as why we nvr develop is lack of content and ideology the system african life has created in us you have to fight what is wrong not run from it are you even employed do prblms when occuring in means you should all quite en leave for the boss to solve them or think of a plan

na uhakika u are not a parent your children deserve en i am sure u nvr evn see de scar in your child's body or even you have none i was a student there once in primary you know why i didn't join the form one there bcoz on my six grade happened to attend at a graduation of grade seven en form four guess wat i saw a teacher with a stick in his hands two of them strong en healthy in a graduation day the day people are happy en smiley very charmin bt he had a stick no parent asked or replied bt this man out there has got the energy to type this thanks to him i guesa all

i guess all Roha en anderlake people will say thanks to this volunteering man for his courage en strength, yaah i did perform well in ma last exam results bt i can surely tell you i did my own best in form two en four en walked it out with lesser or nouh stick attitude en i still have the marks of those ugly beautiful days in that school beautiful for the costful education bt ugly for the life i wonder how wat was i even doing at 12 midnight studying insted of havin my body to and allow biological growth you know what my form six teacher tells me nvr study late you fall sick en unhealthy its not nonsense out there bt those kids need a rescue from you parents authority en teachers even private sectors back then people had to be admitted to the school doctor for hand treatment en injury's thats true abt it the last thing mister writer its not abt girls only if u fight for girls then who will fight for us boys should we still be kept under heavy unwanted punishment just because the revolt was a girlish souh if its changin rocken hill and anderlake its changing the whole school from co workers to the director. LONG LIVE ROCKEN HILL ACADEMY AND ANDERLAKE RIDGES

Wewe sio kwema kweli unamsema mpinzani wako Alex?
Niliandika hii miaka minne iliyopita. This time around it has happened again and good number of scholars at the Anderlek Prison (much preferred school) had to be hospitalized and the district police were involved.

Will someone in the Kahama District administration hierarchy clear the ongoing rumours about students who remain crippled after being caned to near death?

Si kweli, bahati mbaya sikuona huu Uzi before, nililazimika kumtoa mtoto wangu pale kutokana na adhabu kali zinazotolewa kwa hiyo shule, kitaaluma iko vizuri lakini zile adhabu ni za kinyama kwa watoto, nikamuhamishia shule Jirani ya masister ambayo inafanya vizuri zaidi ya hiyo ..
Usikatae bila kufanya uchunguzi unless wewe ni Alex mwenyewe au Mwalimu mnufaika hapo kwa Alex..

Yaani nimeshindwa kukuelewa kabisa japo unaonekana una kitu cha msingi, tafadhali rejea kwa ufafanuzi ..
Umesoma pale?
Nilimuahimisha binti yangu baada ya kunionyesha makovu ya bakora nikampeleka Queen of family ambayo ni shule nzuri zaidi kwa performance kuliko Anderlek na zipo jirani.....
i guess all Roha en anderlake people will say thanks to this volunteering man for his courage en strength, yaah i did perform well in ma last exam results bt i can surely tell you i did my own best in form two en four en walked it out with lesser or nouh stick attitude en i still have the marks of those ugly beautiful days in that school beautiful for the costful education bt ugly for the life i wonder how wat was i even doing at 12 midnight studying insted of havin my body to and allow biological growth you know what my form six teacher tells me nvr study late you fall sick en unhealthy its not nonsense out there bt those kids need a rescue from you parents authority en teachers even private sectors back then people had to be admitted to the school doctor for hand treatment en injury's thats true abt it the last thing mister writer its not abt girls only if u fight for girls then who will fight for us boys should we still be kept under heavy unwanted punishment just because the revolt was a girlish souh if its changin rocken hill and anderlake its changing the whole school from co workers to the director. LONG LIVE ROCKEN HILL ACADEMY AND ANDERLAKE RIDGES

Yaani nimeshindwa kukuelewa kabisa japo unaonekana una kitu cha msingi, tafadhali rejea kwa ufafanuzi ..
Umesoma pale?
Nilimuahimisha binti yangu baada ya kunionyesha makovu ya bakora nikampeleka Queen of family ambayo ni shule nzuri zaidi kwa performance kuliko Anderlek na zipo jirani.....
[/QUOTE
nilisoma primary ila niliogopa kwenda o level sababu ya fimbo na unsocial life there in which nilikuja kujua kuwa i was leaving an unsocial life mpaka nilipoenda a new xcul shuel haina interclasses,nouh debate, hamn clubs,sports zenyew n once au hata twice a month for children kwel who need execirses for there body growth we really missed alot of things back then abt stick n roha's na anderlake prblm bt sociality n a prblm of many xcul we childrens tunakuwa wid that less confidence en more cowardness in us

Umesoma pale?
[/QUOTE
nilisoma primary ila niliogopa kwenda o level sababu ya fimbo na unsocial life there in which nilikuja kujua kuwa i was leaving an unsocial life mpaka nilipoenda a new xcul shuel haina interclasses,nouh debate, hamn clubs,sports zenyew n once au hata twice a month for children kwel who need execirses for there body growth we really missed alot of things back then about sociallty n a prblm of many xcul that we children tunakuwa na dat less of convidence en cowardness in us with hardness of joinin the society bcoz wat we are taught is silence and study for your grades if you fail hundreds strokes that was rude en parents ask your childrens abt my ideas en see if i am wrong anywhere then decided wat the best for all of ur children en the future of tanzania

Back
Top Bottom