Akili kubwa - USA's strategic and high-standard agreement with Kenya to serve as a model for the rest of Africa

MK254

JF-Expert Member
May 11, 2013
US President Donald Trump on Thursday, February 7, made an announcement following his meeting with President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Through United States Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, Trump stated that the US intended to initiate trade agreement negotiations with Kenya.

“Kenya is a recognized leader across the continent, an important strategic partner of the United States, and there is enormous potential for us to deepen our economic and commercial ties.

“Under President Trump’s leadership, we look forward to negotiating and concluding a comprehensive, high-standard agreement with Kenya that can serve as a model for additional agreements across Africa," Lighthizer stated.

US President Donald Trump and President Uhuru Kenyatta at White House on Thursday, February 6.

US President Donald Trump and President Uhuru Kenyatta at The White House on Thursday, February 6, 2020

"We believe a trade agreement between the United States and Kenya will receive broad bipartisan support in Congress," he added.

Uhuru, during a US-Kenya Trade Forum in the US capital the same day, assured that a new bilateral trade deal between Kenya and the US won't undermine the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA).

“Today I want to assure all of you of Kenya’s unwavering commitment in developing the strongest ever trade investment framework with the United States of America.

“We are very keenly looking forward to concluding the trade arrangement between our two countries and I believe that these trade agreements would not only serve Kenya and United States but would probably set the base for a new engagement between the United States and other African countries,” the Kenyan leader addressed.

In addition, the Kenyan leader dismissed speculation that Kenya was breaking away from its commitment to the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA) stating the new arrangement with the US is only aimed at bolstering and deepening trade not only with Kenya but also with other African countries.

“At this juncture, I just want to put away a few doubts because there has been a feeling that by Kenya engaging with the US to have a trade arrangement, we are running away from our commitment to the African Continental Free Trade arrangement. And I want to assure you that there can be nothing further from the truth, as that is definitely not the case,” he stated.

The African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA) was created by the African Continental Free Trade Agreement among African Union Nations and aims at creating the world's largest common market.

Below are more photos and videos:

Kenyans.co.ke
@Kenyans

US President Donald J Trump
🇺🇸
welcomes Kenya’s
🇰🇪
President Uhuru Kenyatta at the White House.
Embedded video
7:59 AM - Feb 7, 2020
Twitter for Websites — ads info and privacy

Back
Top Bottom