Aid for whose benefit?

Brian COOKSEY

Jan 15, 2010
I am concerned that Tanzania's 'development partners' may be pumping hundreds of millions of USDs of their taxpayers money into the corrupt purchase of the 2010 presidential and parliamentary elections.

Forum readers do not need to be told that these elections are crucial for the future stability and development of the country. In recent years, state coffers, including budget support from donors, have been plundered mercilessly by political actors for personal and political purposes.

This year, donors are promising to support the national budget with unprecedented amounts of cash. They continue to fund programmes and projects worth hundreds of millions of dollars that fuel corruption at all levels and add to our foreign debt. My fear is that donor aid to the government will fuel unprecedented levels of corruption as CCM factions continue to squabble over who runs the country now and in the future.

JK has shown his lack of leadership by not invoking his presidential powers to put an end to the internal bickerings that threaten to destroy the unity of the Tanzanian state and people. Foreign aid to Tanzania depends on the continuation of the 'peace and tranquility' for which we are justly praised.

My recommendation to the donors is that they make it understood to JK and his gvt that they can no longer justify throwing their tax payers money into a bottomless pit of corruption, incompetence and waste. Failure to take a principled stand would lead critics to conclude that aid has run its course and serves only the purposes of the political class and its business cronies.

Views of the People (2007) found that over 80 percent of Tanzanians believe that aid benefits politicians and bureaucrats, not the poor and needy majority. Donor silence on these critical issues will speak volumes, and those who want to see an end to aid (not me, incidentally) will have their arguments immeasurably strengthened.

Time for donors to stand up and be counted!

Brian & others,

Donors are part and parcel of what is happening and in no way they can avoid the blame.

It is really so weird to see why this government playing with all these mafisadis and all about the missmagemenent of our natural resources.

Donors have been justifying what our government is doing! If what is happening is of benefit to them that is when they turn a blind eye. Only informed citizens will change the leadership

Aid is what I would call measures to prevent getting malaria
By galloping the so called dawa mseto and sleeping over the mos net.

Donors have been justifying what our government is doing! If what is happening is of benefit to them that is when they turn a blind eye. Only informed citizens will change the leadership

The leadership has been changed more than once Liz. The more things change.... so something more fundamental is at play.

Also, don't overestimate donor interests and the benefits accruing to them. Combined aid and trade flows in/out of Tz don't amount to much in the greater scheme of things. There are other factors involved also.

The leadership has been changed more than once Liz. The more things change.... so something more fundamental is at play.

Also, don't overestimate donor interests and the benefits accruing to them. Combined aid and trade flows in/out of Tz don't amount to much in the greater scheme of things. There are other factors involved also.

I agree that there are other factors but do not underestimate (their interest) either! Aid is a power game.

I agree that there are other factors but do not underestimate (their interest) either! Aid is a power game.

and the real power game is played here in Tanzania. Aid is determined and administered mostly by mid level civil servants in donor countries. They are not powerful, it is not a powerful part of the bureaucracy. But here on the other hand..........it's huge. Over 30 percent of the govt budget.

It is the so called DONORS or sometimes called DEVELOPMEMT Partners who treat Kikwete's government with kid's gloves!

It is not a secret that most of the money that the donors put into the government coffers ends in the hands of Kikwete and his cronnies through dubious purchases and construction contracts.

In spite of all the evidence produced against the RICHMOND scandal, the government and the ruling party have decided to bury the hatchet and protect the perpetrators of these heinous crimes. Since most of the money for these contracts comes from tax payers in the developed countries one would expect the DONOR countries to put the government to task and if need be to deny visas to their countries to all civil servants and politicians who have been involved in shoddy deals that have been unmasked.

In our neighbouring Kenya all those suspected of grand corruption have been denid entry visas to development partners countries hence denying them access to the money they have stashed in off-shore bank accounts.Unfortunately, while the perpetrators of grand corruption are known in Tanzania no such action has been taken by the DONORS; such action would be of such great help to the country since the government leadership has decided to go to bed with criminals!!

Aid is for corrupt leaders who follow a-z of what the white supreme wants!

Ukiona kiongozi anazongwa na wafadhili ujue "ANA AKILI" e.g. Iran, Hugo etc

Ukiona kiongozi anapendelewa na mizungu ujue " KIBARAKA"

Aid is for corrupt leaders who follow a-z of what the white supreme wants!

Ukiona kiongozi anazongwa na wafadhili ujue "ANA AKILI" e.g. Iran, Hugo etc

Ukiona kiongozi anapendelewa na mizungu ujue " KIBARAKA"

Way forward???????????
Hugo & Iran, they have Oil how about us??????

Way forward???????????
Hugo & Iran, they have Oil how about us??????

Way foward is to look for leaders with "Brain" rather being "West toilet Papers"

We have Gold, Uranium and Gas in large quantities as well remember???

Bottom line: Wananchi wangapi wanajua Whites are for our resources in the name of Aid? JF wengine wanapenda white supremacy kama vile ndio dini na mungu wao? long way to go ndugu

Bwana Cooksey,

Welcome aboard at JF. I am not sure you have received a formal welcome notice or receive the traditional African Rose petals carpeting!

You have covered Tanzania extensivelly and your work on IPTL was an eye opener.

since majority of Tanzanians lack proper record keeping, could you be kind enough to dig your notes on IPTL and inform us when did the whole idea for IPTL commence and who were parties involved from Government of Tanzania especially the Ministry of Minerals and Energy?

Shukrani.

While you may have a point hidden somewhere, I find the article dramatizing the subject matter (You are an issue advocate!). Are you suggesting that Tanzania (& other Africa countries for that matter) are receiving so much foreign aid? How much Tanzania receive per annum in foreign aid and in what form? If USA through USAID, for example, support a particular project, how can someone within the government re-route that money to finance election? These may sound trivial but I simply want to understand how our corrupt leaders can temper with foreign aid (in the presence of stringent checks and balance mechanisms devised by each donor). If anything, I believe that our corrupt leaders always temper with taxpayers money and not otherwise.

It is the so called DONORS or sometimes called DEVELOPMEMT Partners who treat Kikwete's government with kid's gloves!

It is not a secret that most of the money that the donors put into the government coffers ends in the hands of Kikwete and his cronnies through dubious purchases and construction contracts.

In spite of all the evidence produced against the RICHMOND scandal, the government and the ruling party have decided to bury the hatchet and protect the perpetrators of these heinous crimes. Since most of the money for these contracts comes from tax payers in the developed countries one would expect the DONOR countries to put the government to task and if need be to deny visas to their countries to all civil servants and politicians who have been involved in shoddy deals that have been unmasked.

In our neighbouring Kenya all those suspected of grand corruption have been denid entry visas to development partners countries hence denying them access to the money they have stashed in off-shore bank accounts.Unfortunately, while the perpetrators of grand corruption are known in Tanzania no such action has been taken by the DONORS; such action would be of such great help to the country since the government leadership has decided to go to bed with criminals!!

then what next?

While you may have a point hidden somewhere, I find the article dramatizing the subject matter (You are an issue advocate!). Are you suggesting that Tanzania (& other Africa countries for that matter) are receiving so much foreign aid? How much Tanzania receive per annum in foreign aid and in what form? If USA through USAID, for example, support a particular project, how can someone within the government re-route that money to finance election? These may sound trivial but I simply want to understand how our corrupt leaders can temper with foreign aid (in the presence of stringent checks and balance mechanisms devised by each donor). If anything, I believe that our corrupt leaders always temper with taxpayers money and not otherwise.

ZunguPule,

Just a hint, 40% of our budget depends on donor monies...

I am concerned that Tanzania's 'development partners' may be pumping hundreds of millions of USDs of their taxpayers money into the corrupt purchase of the 2010 presidential and parliamentary elections.

Forum readers do not need to be told that these elections are crucial for the future stability and development of the country. In recent years, state coffers, including budget support from donors, have been plundered mercilessly by political actors for personal and political purposes.

This year, donors are promising to support the national budget with unprecedented amounts of cash. They continue to fund programmes and projects worth hundreds of millions of dollars that fuel corruption at all levels and add to our foreign debt. My fear is that donor aid to the government will fuel unprecedented levels of corruption as CCM factions continue to squabble over who runs the country now and in the future.

JK has shown his lack of leadership by not invoking his presidential powers to put an end to the internal bickerings that threaten to destroy the unity of the Tanzanian state and people. Foreign aid to Tanzania depends on the continuation of the 'peace and tranquility' for which we are justly praised.

My recommendation to the donors is that they make it understood to JK and his gvt that they can no longer justify throwing their tax payers money into a bottomless pit of corruption, incompetence and waste. Failure to take a principled stand would lead critics to conclude that aid has run its course and serves only the purposes of the political class and its business cronies.

Views of the People (2007) found that over 80 percent of Tanzanians believe that aid benefits politicians and bureaucrats, not the poor and needy majority. Donor silence on these critical issues will speak volumes, and those who want to see an end to aid (not me, incidentally) will have their arguments immeasurably strengthened.

Time for donors to stand up and be counted!

Fair enough, Mr Cooksie. But speaking in fuzzy, generalized terms doesn't help much by way of convincing your audience. How about providing some concrete case of donor money intended for development projects being expended for individual political gain?

ZunguPule,

Just a hint, 40% of our budget depends on donor monies...

Right. In what forms? HIV/AIDS projects? Environmental programs? Or donors just pump in money without knowing what their money is going to do? And what fraction of the 40% is being diverted to finance election or non-intended activities? You could do us justice if you can try and establish the actual amount that has been received from the donor, say since year 2000. I am sure in the process you will get more insights and surprises. The point I am trying to get across is there's a widespread belief that donors are giving a lot to developing countries. Put it differently, developing countries are receiving tons of dollars of foreign aid. This isn't just true! This claim is not consistent with the available numbers. And if corruption is to blame, it is ubiquitous. No country is immune.

Right. In what forms? HIV/AIDS projects? Environmental programs? Or donors just pump in money without knowing what their money is going to do? And what fraction of the 40% is being diverted to finance election or non-intended activities? You could do us justice if you can try and establish the actual amount that has been received from the donor, say since year 2000. I am sure in the process you will get more insights and surprises. The point I am trying to get across is there's a widespread belief that donors are giving a lot to developing countries. Put it differently, developing countries are receiving tons of dollars of foreign aid. This isn't just true! This claim is not consistent with the available numbers. And if corruption is to blame, it is ubiquitous. No country is immune.

ZunguPule,

Are you in denial that we are not depending on Foreign Aid or just because this time is some Mzungu who has come up and declare this then we are shouting Patriotism?

Pull back all news feed from local news from Septemebr of 2009 todate and search for anything about Tanzania finances be it from Mkulo, Ndullu, Pinda or even Kikwete himself, you will see the trickle down effect of grants and loans and most of all the plea from our leadership for this foreign assistance.

On elections money, we have Makame and company declaring we need money and we have received several millions of dollors from Donor countries and especially EU for Uchaguzi.

Just last week there was news feed about Norwegian government that is hesitating to release funding of its donorship due to several reasons among them is the issue of corruption and accountability!

Yes the donor countries may bang the drum louder than what it is, however when the truth of matter is that our annual budget is depending severely on this assistance, then you have to admit that we have a problem of mismanagement of resources and we can not generate enough money to cover our own expenses.

Have you forgoten that just before the last Bunge session (current) there was talk for suplement budget?

Hili suala la misaada/grants tumeshaliongelea over and over. Lina sura nyingi hili.
Ni kwamba kuna misaada ya aina kwa aina. Mingine ina modality nzuri tu kwamba wenye kutoa fedha wanajaribu kwepa bureaucratic systems za kisirekali, na kujaribu kwenda direct kwenye miradi ya maendeleo yenye imediate impacts kwa wananchi wa hali ya chini, kama kwenye sekta za afya na elimu.

Kuna facet nyingine ya donors ambao ni nadiriki kuwaita clueless. Hawa wana-throw their money based on assumptions kwamba 'zinaenda kwenye budget'. This money is more than 60% wasted kwenye kampeni za CCM, kulipa per diems za wanasiasa na task force feki za Morogoro et al.

Kuna facet ingine ya donors. Ambao hawa wanaimpose masharti fulani fulani na wana ajenda zao za chini kwa chini. Hawa ndio wengi. Hawajali fedha wanazozimwaga zinatumikaje as long as masherti yao yanatimizwa.

Sasa ni vyema ktk kuichambua hii hoja tukawa tunaiangalia ktk hii sura walau nilizozitaja.

Back
Top Bottom