African Satellite World and Sat Gear

Nairobi CBD is invaded by dstv with tents begging for subscribers.
View attachment 1205722

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 21- Digital Satellite Television (DStv) is set to revise its monthly subscription downwards, a move seen to counter competition especially from streaming service providers.

The price revision comes at a time when its mother company, MultiChoice, is complaining to South Africa’s communication’s watchdog, the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa, about the competition it faces from ‘unregulated’ streaming services such as Netflix and their impact on its revenue.

Earlier this year, MultiChoice CEO Calvo Mawela blamed Netflix for the loss of more than 100,000 subscribers in the last financial year, and an additional 40,000 in the new financial year in South Africa.

Pay tv falling home and abroad.. the extortionists' days are numbered
fgh.jpg

Performance ya inverto nyeusi ya prime focus iko aje ikilinganishwa na fuji ya prime focus???? Iwapo umewahi tumia zote mbili nipe maoni yako(for TZ)
How is the performance of Inverto black for prime focus ? compared to Fuji for prime focus, If you have used them both give me your opinion. (for KE)

Performance ya inverto nyeusi ya prime focus iko aje ikilinganishwa na fuji ya prime focus???? Iwapo umewahi tumia zote mbili nipe maoni yako(for TZ)
How is the performance of Inverto black for prime focus ? compared to Fuji for prime focus, If you have used them both give me your opinion. (for KE)

I've got both. Where stargold fuji reads 57% signal quality on my meter, inverto for pf will always read 61% signal quality

Where s.fuji reads 50% on the meter, inverto will give a reading of 57%

Nairobi CBD is invaded by dstv with tents begging for subscribers.
View attachment 1205722
NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 21- Digital Satellite Television (DStv) is set to revise its monthly subscription downwards, a move seen to counter competition especially from streaming service providers.
The price revision comes at a time when its mother company, MultiChoice, is complaining to South Africa’s communication’s watchdog, the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa, about the competition it faces from ‘unregulated’ streaming services such as Netflix and their impact on its revenue.
Earlier this year, MultiChoice CEO Calvo Mawela blamed Netflix for the loss of more than 100,000 subscribers in the last financial year, and an additional 40,000 in the new financial year in South Africa.
Na bado hawajalia.Hii ni kionjo tu.Re the multichoicekenya clown-I sometimes wonder why we FTA enthusiasts do not seem too keen on earning some cash from this hobby. Why are FTA services in Kenya not promoted aggressively as a way of offering cheap alternatives to the local PayTV services? This forum is so rich as an FTA resource but it is too far from the public eye-it’s almost like a secret cult! ☺☺ To be very frank I stumbled on this site after I got fed up with paying for what seemed to me to be extortionate fees for substandard services by the pay TV providers .I bought a decoder that turned out to be faulty and it took me a visit to their HQ in westlands ,after being taken around in circles for weeks, to get a replacement. After this ordeal I decided to trawl the internet for an alternative.
On my part, the only thing that stops me from taking up this challenge is the cost of dishes locally. I am of the view that dishes are massively overpriced for what can be described as a 'dumb' piece of equipment-yet it is the most important element when it comes to FTA .if one can access an 8 feet dish(which is the most optimal size needed to enjoy FTA ) or 6 ft offset ,for around 8-9k,it becomes easy to promote FTA as a package for about 15-16k.Just looking casually on the internet, metallic dishes are much cheaper. What i find fascinating is that that one can buy a BB-branded 3 feet at sh 1700 including LNB,cable and mounting(thats how much i used for mine).Near my home, there are industries that make aluminum utensils and I sometimes think of approaching the wahindi owners to try and see if they have ever thought of fabricating dishes even if it is on order. Ama wale jamaa wa Kariobangi Light Industries who make jua kali machinery like chaff cutters and posho mills. Can it be that hard for an enterprising businessman to acquire an 8 feet and use it as a protototype/for making a mould that can be used to make other dishes? Hata kama ni ile dish ya mesh ishikange C-band pekee?
If I can get over the challenge of accessing affordable 8 feet dishes, the rest is a walk in the park. Through alibaba am sure I can get a deal on normal, decent and affordable HD boxes, preferably combos, for less than 5 k(my HD chinco combo cost me just sh.3600 including air-freight up to my home).So the package adds up to 9+5+2(labor)-around 16k(aerial ya terrestrial ikuwe kando).Then what would remain is promoting it aggressively on all forms of media. Too bad a sat like yahsat is no longer what it used to be (when it had things that Kenyans look for-animal docs, football, movies na cartoons).Of course such aggressive promotion is sure to attract the wrath of BB and his ilk. Does anyone know what the law says if a club owner with a normal sat receiver pointed a dish upwards and nabbed,say, varshish which 'just happened' to be showing a premier league game? This is where a bit of financial muscle might be needed for potential legal battles. I think the Kenyan law must have a loophole somewhere. Fortunately for private users this is a non-issue. Gentlemen(and ladies),who will bell the cat?

Back
Top Bottom