Africa Needs To Ban The Filming of Handouts

Eric Cartman

JF-Expert Member
May 21, 2009
How ‘football shirts' left at football grounds during ‘match days' ended up in Kenya. Those were the words of BBC news reporter this morning. The BBC followed the announcement with moving images of mainly teens kicking football wearing those ‘tops', whilst the purportedly humanitarians who brought those T-shirts smiling and cheering at the game.

When the focus shifted back to the studio the reporter could not contain her sarcastic smile after she spoke of those words on BBC live TV ‘this morning', aimed at internal audience.

Question that came into my mind?

What was the intention of this information in the western media early Sunday morning, if not to humiliate us and portray Kenya (or Africa for that matter) of being in need of clothing. I mean was there a necessity to tell the whole country on what happened to their unwanted ‘football shirts'.

To me this was absurd reporting aimed at cooking propaganda as if Africa needs that kind of trash inside its perimeters. It's not as if people walk around naked and are worried of what to wear. This type of reporting aims to mislead their society of our lovely continent and its people.

Why don't they report on issues such as ‘Salaula' and shyt, were the so called charities of theirs collect clothing in the name of charity. Only to turn them as commodities in African markets as ‘mitumbas', and still make profit out that. Or why don't they film aid taken in places such as Nepal, Bangladesh and other third world countries outside Africa and show them to their audience.

Honestly I'm loosing patience with Mr.Mzungu.

Mkuu umesahau kwamba Kenya ni jalala lao? Wakenya wenyewe wanapenda hilo si umeona wanavyowapa support kwenye bajeti yao na wanavyoirudisha hiyo fweza kupitia makampuni yao. Usishangae hilo angalia ndani zaidi.

How ‘football shirts' left at football grounds during ‘match days' ended up in Kenya. Those were the words of BBC news reporter this morning. The BBC followed the announcement with moving images of mainly teens kicking football wearing those ‘tops', whilst the purportedly humanitarians who brought those T-shirts smiling and cheering at the game.

When the focus shifted back to the studio the reporter could not contain her sarcastic smile after she spoke of those words on BBC live TV ‘this morning', aimed at internal audience.

Question that came into my mind?

What was the intention of this information in the western media early Sunday morning, if not to humiliate us and portray Kenya (or Africa for that matter) of being in need of clothing. I mean was there a necessity to tell the whole country on what happened to their unwanted ‘football shirts'.

To me this was absurd reporting aimed at cooking propaganda as if Africa needs that kind of trash inside its perimeters. It's not as if people walk around naked and are worried of what to wear. This type of reporting aims to mislead their society of our lovely continent and its people.

Why don't they report on issues such as ‘Salaula' and shyt, were the so called charities of theirs collect clothing in the name of charity. Only to turn them as commodities in African markets as ‘mitumbas', and still make profit out that. Or why don't they film aid taken in places such as Nepal, Bangladesh and other third world countries outside Africa and show them to their audience.

Honestly I'm loosing patience with Mr.Mzungu.

Could not agree with you more, my patience with mr, mrs and miss mzungu run out a while ago
I could not believe what i saw this morning

Br. Juma,

Sijaipata hiyo news kikamilifu..lakini lets face it sisi waafrika kama tunapenda kuwa treated kama charity box, what else can other people treat us ?

Br. Juma,

Sijaipata hiyo news kikamilifu..lakini lets face it sisi waafrika kama tunapenda kuwa treated kama charity box, what else can other people treat us ?
Abdulhalim

No one asked them wapeleke huo uchafu Kenya, ni wao kujidai good samaritans only to film the process of handout for the purpose of degrading the continent. These people use this tactic always to mislead their public; as a result average european think of africa as being in dire poverty all over and highly primitive. Let me assure you the white man you see in africa in most cases is somewhat too educated or a seasonal traveler and wont buy the media bullshit that much.

Not that we need any more europeans (those without good intentions) in our continent, but its about time they stopped painting our land as if its the only needy continent remaining. I mean Bangladesh is worse than any African country, why not there?.

In India there is poverty ya ajabu to the point that people are selling their organs to feed their families why not film them on daily bases they get aid there too. Only Africa it seems has to be humiliated often, I think it about time they stopped this nonsense if they want to help no one is stopping them but we do not their cameras around.

Br Juma,

Nimekuelewa hoja yako.
There is two sides hapa. Hiyo udhalilishaji inaeza kukoma kama ulivosema iwapo wao waache, lakini haitokoma pale sisi bado tunaendelea kupokea hiyo misaada ya kiudhalilishaji na kupiga picha nao huku tunakenua. It is two way mkuu.

Br Juma,

Nimekuelewa hoja yako.
There is two sides hapa. Hiyo udhalilishaji inaeza kukoma kama ulivosema iwapo wao waache, lakini haitokoma pale sisi bado tunaendelea kupokea hiyo misaada ya kiudhalilishaji na kupiga picha nao huku tunakenua. It is two way mkuu.
true dat its two way traffic but its not of mutual respect these people (africans) do not understand the purpose of cameras there, for them its just good manners to smile. Only after that europeans use it for their propaganda.

My friend Juma Contena in Europe and indeed the entire western hemisphere it is all about image. What the media portrays dominates what the public thinks. I swear to you there are no people in the world who are more "programed" than those in the west. Their public has become so lazy to the extent that a large part of the population can not think for themselves or do research for themselves.

My point for that introduction is that there is a reason for the west portraying Africa as they do. The image of Africa they are selling to their home governments and people is beneficial to them. It is easier to sell a poor and needy Africa because in the west there is already a prejudice against blacks which sterns from their history of slavery. So you can see how it would be easier to portray Africa the way they do in a way they wouldn't be able to sell any other continent.

So one might ask, what benefit does the west derive from such a horrible image of Africa. One reason I think is there need for a diversion. Especially during these tough economic times there are people who are going through a hard time. There are different problems within their societies which they have no answers to as of yet. So what's the best way to make their people feel better about themselves? What's the best way to get people to stop complaining? Show them people who supposedly have it worser than they do.

Another possible reason is the business of "aid". There are many NGO's and government agencies in the west which exist based solely on the poverty of different areas. They have to make their case for different fundings they receive or different donations they ask for. In order to do so they can't sell an Africa with successful people and a vibrant social life. Who is going to give money if the image of Africa was different then what it is right now?

Last but not least is there need to show that they are still the "top dogs" of the world. Showing the slums and "ghettos" of other places around the world like Africa gives them the perception that they are still living the dream. Again with different western countries going into bankruptcy the media for some reason feels the need to show their people that their economies and ways of life still reign supreme. How do you show your people that capitalism still works? Portray countries with a weak capitalists cultures as unable to survive or develop unless they switch or move even more towards the European model.

To be honest I'm sure many more reasons exists but these three are what I see to be the main reasons. Of course this whole issue of the African image is more than skin deep. Like brother Abdulhalim says, we as African have, if not having started the phenomenon have helped fuel it or at least tolerate it.

Stop blaming the White people for Africans problems!

Last edited by a moderator:
We Zanzibar

Sasa katafute na documentary ya watoto walivyokuwa addicted na heroin huko north of england na uone wanavyokufa tena washenzi wali wa film from the age 9 until eleven mtu cousin na wake walivyoo athirika mpaka wakafa instead of helping. Au katafute documentaries za prostitutes wa ulaya wanavyo ishi on boarded dilapidated council estates awaiting demolitation mbona awaweki huo ushenzi you tube. Na watuonyeshe wanavyovuta na wao hayo madawa yao na miteja yao.

Kila society ina matatizo yake, yetu only much to do with political lakini that does not permit them to degrade the continent by using negative images all the time. Mbona they rarely show the good side of africa, na hayo matatizo huko liberia wakati watu wanapigana wao si walikuwa wanachukua diamond ni washenzi.

The impact of this ni kama MF1 alivyosema kwao ni hicho tu ndio wanachotaka kutudhalilisha, sasa huyo mzungu wako kasaidia nini huko after filming, zaidi ya kupeleka kwenye TV zao huko na kusema hivi ndio hawa jamaa wanavyoishi.

juma contena umeongea point, si kweli kwamba nchi za ulaya ni milk tu inatoka kwenye mabomba na burger zinagawiwa free mitaani kama vijana wetu wa apa bongo wanavyodanganywa waamini kwani kuna watu wao dream yao pekee ya kujikwamua kimaisha ni kwenda uko wakidhani kua kila kitu ni freee kinapatikana na life ni simple! kama ni gheto kila mahali zipo, kama ni masikini kila mahali wapo ni suala tu la kubrain wash watu! tena maskini wa africa anaweza kua ana afadhali kuliko maskini wa ulaya! huku tuna culture ya kutonyimana chakula lakini maskini wa ulaya ana shida kubwa sana! baridi ucku, njaa nk

juma contena umeongea point, si kweli kwamba nchi za ulaya ni milk tu inatoka kwenye mabomba na burger zinagawiwa free mitaani kama vijana wetu wa apa bongo wanavyodanganywa waamini kwani kuna watu wao dream yao pekee ya kujikwamua kimaisha ni kwenda uko wakidhani kua kila kitu ni freee kinapatikana na life ni simple! kama ni gheto kila mahali zipo, kama ni masikini kila mahali wapo ni suala tu la kubrain wash watu! tena maskini wa africa anaweza kua ana afadhali kuliko maskini wa ulaya! huku tuna culture ya kutonyimana chakula lakini maskini wa ulaya ana shida kubwa sana! baridi ucku, njaa nk
Si afadhali maskini Africa anaweza hata cheka na kufurahi, ulaya huwi maskini tu na system inaweza kukupa uchizi ukifanya mchezo si ajabu maskini wengi ndio walevi, wavuta madawa, 80 percent ya petty criminals are the same individuals until they turn 30 its not a coincidence hali zao za umaskini ni wa ajabu, about 40 percent of those can not read or write. Mbona awasemi wao wameng'an'gana tu na kulisema bara letu na kulipa sifa mbaya.

Amini usiamini watu wengi ambao hawana vibali sasa wala hawasubiri polisi wawatufute wenyewe wanaitafuta 'heathrow' ilipo, bora shida za africa wanakwambia kuliko za huku na hao si wabongo tu bali waafrica wengi. Hii ni jinsi gani inaonesha despite our poverty level watu wanaona wasinyan'ganywe na fikra zao na freedom zao. Si watu wazuri hawa jamaa wamezidi kuitoa africa ktk picha mbaya kila wakati na maneno ya kutuletea dharau as if kwao amna tabu.

No let the wazungus entertain themselves. What I know is that very soon Africa is going to start displaying its good image by itself. You obviously know that there is no place in Kenya or East Africa that people can't afford their clothing. We don't even have to be mad at them, that will show as if actually the truth is hurting. We should ignore them and act like nothing happened.

We Zanzibar

Sasa katafute na documentary ya watoto walivyokuwa addicted na heroin huko north of england na uone wanavyokufa tena washenzi wali wa film from the age 9 until eleven mtu cousin na wake walivyoo athirika mpaka wakafa instead of helping. Au katafute documentaries za prostitutes wa ulaya wanavyo ishi on boarded dilapidated council estates awaiting demolitation mbona awaweki huo ushenzi you tube. Na watuonyeshe wanavyovuta na wao hayo madawa yao na miteja yao.

Kila society ina matatizo yake, yetu only much to do with political lakini that does not permit them to degrade the continent by using negative images all the time. Mbona they rarely show the good side of africa, na hayo matatizo huko liberia wakati watu wanapigana wao si walikuwa wanachukua diamond ni washenzi.

The impact of this ni kama MF1 alivyosema kwao ni hicho tu ndio wanachotaka kutudhalilisha, sasa huyo mzungu wako kasaidia nini huko after filming, zaidi ya kupeleka kwenye TV zao huko na kusema hivi ndio hawa jamaa wanavyoishi.

Thank you Juma Contena
I have one word... Skid Row downtown LA. New Orleans after Katrina that was the truth...rural America...Drugs, rape and mayhem is in every country every city.

It's not unique to AFRICA.

Br Juma,

Nimekuelewa hoja yako.

There are two sides (correction)

Back
Top Bottom