A Boy Of Two Has Choked To Death! | JamiiForums | The Home of Great Thinkers

Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

A Boy Of Two Has Choked To Death!

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by X-PASTER, Nov 11, 2009.


    X-PASTER Moderator

    Nov 11, 2009
    Joined: Feb 12, 2007
    Messages: 11,651
    Likes Received: 105
    Trophy Points: 160
    A boy of two has choked to death after a lollipop came off its stick and became stuck in his throat.

    Francis Dean began struggling for breath shortly after being given the lolly as a treat after his dinner.
    His brother Michael, 13,frantically tried to save his younger brother by taking hold of the stick but the round head of the lolly was lodged in his throat.

    Tragic: Francis Dean seen here with one of the lollipops he was often given as a treat (This picture was released today by his parents)

    Last night his devastated parents, David and Dawn Dean, called for parents of small children to be extra vigilant with lollies and urged manufacturers to place bigger warnings on sweets in the future.

    Mr Dean, an NHS gym instructor, and his wife, a manager for First Choice holidays, say the lolly stick should not have come off in his mouth.

    Mrs Dean said: 'We're absolutely devastated. It feels like a nightmare. He often had a treat - a lolly or ice cream - after his tea.

    'His dad asked him what he wanted and he asked for 'a pop'. It had been in his mouth less than 30 seconds when his brother Michael saw he was in distress. He went to help and the stick came away in his hand.'
    The sweet was part of Swizzels Matlow's 'Lots of Lollies' pack which carries a warning saying 'Lollipops are a potential choking hazard. Not suitable for children under 36 months.' But the cellophane wrapper on the actual lollipop does not carry any warning.

    Mrs Dean, 39, who was away at a conference when the tragedy happened, said: 'It shouldn't have come off the stick. Kids love sweets and lollipops and this could have been any sweet given to any child.

    'We would urge the manufacturers to put warnings on each individual lolly or to make them smaller. I'd just say to other parents, you can never be too cautious. We would never have thought this could harm our child.'
    The incident happened on the evening Sunday November 1 after Francis had eaten his main meal.

    When he began struggling to breathe his brother and other friends and family attempted to save him.

    Paramedics raced to the family house in Manchester but the toddler died before he was able to reach a hospital.

    Last night manufacturers Swizzels Matlow said they would launch an investigation into the tragedy.

    Yesterday the heartbroken family held a funeral for their son at All Saints Church, near their home.

    The mother-of-two paid tribute to her 'baby' who had celebrated his second birthday with a party in July.

    She said: 'We had two-and-a-half wonderful years with him. He was full of life. He loved playing with his toys, his Power Rangers and cars.
    'He liked football and had his own little cricket set to play with his brother. They were very close - he was close to all his family.

    'He was a very, very happy chap. He loved nursery and had some wonderful friends who are devastated.'

    Mrs Dean said Francis had been in hospital last year after suffering a bout of pneumonia but had recovered thanks to dedicated nursing staff.
    'Staff did a fantastic job for Francis when he was treated for pneumonia last year. The staff at the children's hospital tried their best this time. They were wonderful but they couldn't help him.'

    It is the second tragedy to hit the family. Dawn and David's niece, Claire Burns, 21, drowned off the Blackpool coast last year.

    Andrew Matlow from Swizzels Matlow said: 'All at Swizzels Matlow were devastated to hear of the tragic death of this baby boy.

    'Most of us are parents and we can only imagine the pain and anguish that the little boy's parents are facing. As soon as we are furnished with more details we will mount a full investigation.'