Zimbabwe: The turmoil, reconciliation, and the future!

Zimbabwe government refused to compensate white farmers, all the money for compensation was being given by Britain. While that was done Mugabe was misdirecting the funds to his own use and hence Britain refused to finance that programme any more.

There wasn't any invasion of farms by Zimbabweans; it was only a political tool for support. Mugabe was losing ground and hence compensated the freedom fighters using a lot of money which as the country couldn't afford, and this was done in the 90's.

DUA

Once again you are wrong, about two year ago I had to do a research for a project which focused on the land crisis in Subsaharan Africa and i had two case studies: KENYA and ZIMBABWE.

What i came to conclude was that the issue in Zimbabwe is very straight forward, but confused by the white media and white sponsored internal opposition such as MDC.

Look,the issue of land transfer was at the heart of the Lancaster House Treaty in 1982 ,but in order for its smooth transition required subsequent British Governments to honoured the clear agreements they made. Part of this agreement, required Britain to provide financial renumeration to the Mugabe government to pay back white Zimbabweans; who of course inflated the cost of the land which they got for next to nothing.

People who blame Mugabe, I suggest no little about what has taken place, and in effect is a distraction and part of the enemy strategy. What progressive African leader has not face this.The mistakes which Mugabe has made, or has been purported to have made are marginal, as what leaders do not excerice poor judgement even when not African leaders opearting in such contexts. The greatest people cannot see the future and make honourable but poor judgement on many occassions.

It amazes and pains some of us to see some people being whodwincked by hoodlums and their sponsors! Their common approach is to 'demonize' and make a kill.
In the case of Zimbabwe, they have tried all sorts of tricks and manner, including enlishing economic hardships to the people in order to bring down the govt. No doubt, the people of Zimbabwe have endured untold hardships, but the blame should be directed to where it rightfully belongs.
DrWho, this is your one contribution that has warmed up my spirits. Keep up the good work.

Watanzania tumeanza kuwakaribisha wazungu wale kwetu na Mkapa alisha anza na makaburu , mwinyi na waarabu kule Loliondo nk . JK anaongezea nasema we will have another Zimbabwe in EA . Kama huamini ngojea . Hata kama kuna uozo kule Zimbabwe je Mugabe anadhani suluhi ni msimamo na kuua na kupiga nk?

DrWHO

I don't think I am wrong. I happen to do a lot of work about Zimbabwe as well but lets see the facts first.

Can you put a pdf. report which you undertook about land reform in Zimbabwe here, it will be a benefit for all to see.

You are very correct that the Land transfer was at the heart of Lancaster agreement; Can you tell me under that agreement,

1.) When was it supposed to end?

2.) What action if any did Mugabe or his government took?

3.) Did the British honour that agreement? If not why?

DUA

doe to the nature of the research and my employer i am not allowed to post the report or release it to anyone unless i my stated so in my contractual agreement with my then employer.

That said,

i will answer your questions as follows:
QUESTION 1 & 2 are pretty much tied so i will just merge my answers THEN will give you an answer to question 3

1) There were many things in the lancaster agreements in the LANCASTER agreement among other things was the ending of IAN SMITH rule while the land issue was included in the agreement...under the willing seller willing buyer terms...dont forget that land was the major reason for the armed struggle in Zimbabwe. At Lancaster house when the two sides thrashed out an agreement/compromise land was also a major factor. But, Zanu PF agreed not to do anything fundamental on land reform for ten years.

In the subsequent years land has never been off the agenda. hose who think or suspect otherwise only show where they have been for the last ten years (Not Zimbabwe) and their reliance on non-Zimbabwean media, mind you, Zanu PF have not removed land from their agenda & their greatest crime was signing the Lancaster house agreement in the first place which gave legitimacy to inaction. The alternative to this was to keep on fighting. (U AFRICA) in me says that they should have just fought to the death for land. But then, I wasn't a freedom fighter (bit too young) so I see myself as having no right to judge the actions of Zanu PF at a time when they already sustained heavy casualties etc.

2) see above answer

3) No the British did not honor their part of the agreement. Flip the coin and look at the British stance. At no stage were they ever going to honour their side of the bargain. If so, what has been stopping THEM all these years? They use the same arguments you use that Mugabe's motives are all bad. They go on to paint Zimbabwe as some hell on earth place. All so that they can avoid helping blacks to prosper which is what the Lancaster House Agreement boils down to in the long run. Mugabe was once hailed as a champion by the west and the Zim economy was held up as an example for other African countries. Why not land reform then?

DrWHO

Nafahamu nimekupa link lakini hujajishughulisha kusoma au kuzipitia naweka baadhi hapa kwa kifupi.
Last Updated: 2:17am GMT 01/03/2007

One of the most powerful figures in Zimbabwe has issued a damning
indictment of President Robert Mugabe's policies by publicly criticising the
actions of the people allocated land seized from white owners.

Gideon Gono, the governor of the central reserve bank, appeared to
acknowledge that his nation had been shattered by Mr Mugabe's "land reform
programme".

According to the state-owned Herald newspaper, Mr Gono also
acknowledged that the lack of food production had led to food imports
gobbling up foreign currency reserves desperately needed for fuel and spare
parts for machinery.

Mr Gono told a panel of MPs in Harare that many black farmers,
including politicians, who resettled on former white-owned farms, were
failing to produce food.
"There are some people who have become professional land occupiers,
vandalising equipment and moving from one farm to another," Mr Gono told a
parliamentary committee on home affairs.

Mr Gono said he received desperate telephones calls daily from
government enterprises including food distributors, the state gasoline
procurement agency, the loss-making national airline, the state railroad
company and the main power utility. He said that they had all demanded hard
currency for imported materials.

He added that the central bank's priority was to allocate hard
currency for imports of corn to avert a looming food crisis, especially in
southern Zimbabwe.

The committee chairman, Claudius Makova of the ruling Zanu-PF party,
said its investigations showed the Zimbabwe police needed more than 15,000
vehicles but possessed just 3,000, of which half were off the road awaiting
repairs and imported spare parts.

Mr Mugabe is facing growing unrest, with inflation running at almost
1,600 per cent - the highest in the world - and acute shortages of petrol,
food and medicine.

Hapa chini ni kwenye bunge
Zimbabwejournalists.com

1st Mar 2007 01:31 GMT

By a Correspondent

HARARE - Trudy Stevenson, the Member of Parliament for Harare North, was
ejected from Parliament yesterday for attempting to defend the freedom of
the airwaves in Zimbabwe after she heckled a deputy minister in the
150-member House on the issue.

Stevenson was responding to an answer given by information deputy minister,
Bright Matonga, on why the Zimbabwe government is jamming independent radio
stations such as SW Radioafrica, Studio 7 and Radio Voice of the People that
operate from the United Kingdom, the United States and the Netherlands
respectively................................

The Herald (Hili ni gazeti la Serikali)

THE winter season in the City of Harare has lasted too long. Some of us not
too friendly with such seasons are almost reaching freezing point.

Indeed, Harare was once a "Sunshine City" but we have not experienced much
of that in recent years.

The potholes on the roads, malfunctioning traffic lights, uncollected
garbage, raw sewage flowing all over the place, etcetera, does not in any
way give the city a ray of sunlight.

It has all been dark and gloomy. Complaints have been made over and over
about all these but we have not seen much in terms of visible efforts to
restore the brightness....................

The Zimbabwean
-making millions for the Zanu (PF) feeding trough
BY MUONGORORI
This week the Zimbabwe dollar went through the 1 000 to 1 barrier against
the Rand - the most frequently traded currency. That puts the US dollar over
7 000 to 1 and the Pound to over 11 000 to one - a massive devaluation of
the local currency in the past two weeks.

AFRICA should expect grim violations of media and human rights in Zimbabwe
if President Mugabe continued in office for the next three years, a recent
meeting of Zimbabwe Journalists Support Network (ZJSN) heard in Pretoria
last week.
ZJSN Chairman Victor Kasaga said: "Mugabe is failing to correct his mistakes
and improve the country's economy, he is intensifying fear and intimidation.
What he wants is to watch World Cup in 2010 from state house then he will
go."

Stanford G Mukasa
MDC can hasten Mugabe's demise
THE Mugabe government's actions in banning MDC rallies, jailing its leaders
and using brute force on its supporters sends one very clear message to
Zimbabweans: Mugabe is the same yesterday, today and forever.
Mugabe has the monopoly of state-sponsored violence. He controls the army,
police, CIO and youth militia thugs. Their budget far exceeds the needs of
the country.
However, what Mugabe does not control is the economy and the volcanic
rumblings of dissent within Zanu (PF). This leads to the view that the only
real prospects for change come from within the ruling party, or through the
economy............

New Zimbabwe

By Asher Tarivona Mutsengi
Last updated: 03/01/2007 11:39:52
THE IT industry in Africa is growing, attracting foreign investment and
attention and the use of the Internet is fast becoming a phenomenon.

It is highly disturbing that the government of Zimbabwe is lagging behind in
embracing the use of the Internet in all facets of information management
and service provision........
By Menzi Sibanda

BULAWAYO - Close to 5 000 teachers quit their jobs in Zimbabwe last
year unhappy over poor pay and working conditions, the Progressive Teachers
Union of Zimbabwe (PTUZ) said on Wednesday.

The PTUZ, one of two unions representing teachers in the country, said
a survey it carried out showed that the majority of teachers who quit their
jobs had been absorbed in neighbouring countries such as Botswana, South
Africa, Namibia and Swaziland.

"According to the survey, 4 800 teachers quit because they were not
content with their wages," said PTUZ secretary general Raymond Majongwe.
Another 560 teachers had died mainly because of HIV/AIDS-related illnesses
over the period under review, he added.....................
By Jonga Kandemiiri
Washington
28 February 2007

A senior official of the Progressive Teachers Union of Zimbabwe on Wednesday
made public an open letter to President Robert Mugabe written in response to
an attack on the union by Mr. Mugabe during a birthday-celebration speech
Saturday in Gweru.

President Mugabe, 83, singled out PTUZ General Secretary Raymond Majongwe
for a warning that his government "cannot be knocked down by (union)
punches."
President Robert Mugabe, it seems, is intent on ensuring that Zimbabwe will
be logged in history books as the biggest stain on Africa.

Indeed, Mr Mugabe never ceases to amaze us with his tyrannical behaviour and
his total disregard for the welfare of his fellow Zimbabweans.

Last Saturday, Mr Mugabe threw a party to celebrate his 83rd birthday. The
fact that he hosted the party would normally not have raised any eyebrows,
except for the fact that the celebration cost his country a whopping US$1.2
million
and that it was held in the face of deadly poverty and
hyperinflation in a country where hundreds of thousands of people are
struggling to survive on bread and water.............
By Violet Gonda
5 March 2007

Class boycotts organised by the Zimbabwe National Students Union (ZINASU)
kicked off countrywide on Monday. ZINASU president Promise Mkwananzi said
the strike, which brought the tertiary institutions to a standstill was 100%
successful. Both the students and lecturers in state universities are
boycotting classes over un-affordable tuition fees and salaries.................

http://www.zimbabwesituation.com/

Unamtetea rais anayetumia USD 1.2 million kufanya birthday party. Unawalaumu wazungu kwa hili? na hiyo link ndiyo maisha ya Zimbabwe hivi sasa, sio opposition parties tu wanaompinga kama ulisikia juzi vice president wake anampinga hivi sasa.

DrWHO

The Lancaster agreement ended ten years after independence, which was 1990-1992 there about. Mugabe did nothing about the land Issue. The land issue only arised when Mugabe was losing support on his policies i.e. the invasion or participation of Zimbabwe troops in Congo, Chenjerai Hunzvi (the war veterans) forced the government to pay huge sums of money to ex-combatants (On doing this exercise a lot of people were paid although they were not at the front line during liberation).

About 1996 Mugabe sent tanks to Mabvuku to quell women demonstrators on meal melie shortage in their area - I hope you did saw the CNN coverage of that event. (from that moment most investments in Zimbabwe were scaled down).

British did honour their commitment but Mugabe wanted more and he did not account from the initial amount given. (Claire Short visited Zimbabwe several times but each time the Zimbabwe Government could not account for the money received). This issue was raised in parliament, I am sure you can obtain an artical for that. UK stopped to disburse the funds when almost 3 million Zimbabweans left the country to South Africa, UK, USA and Canada etc. You can find an artical where Zimbabwens go on BBC news.

Zimbabwe is hell right now, read the articals above some snaps, Harare used to be called 'sunshine city' no longer. The biggest problem we have in Africa is to think everything from the West is negative about us. ZIMBABWE IS BURNING AND SADC IS JUST LOOKING THE SAME WAY WHEN GENOCIDE HAPPENED IN RWANDA. AT LEAST NOW THEY HAVE DECIDED TO MEET TO TRY TO SOLVE THE EXIT OF THE DECTATOR AFTER 28 YEARS.
You can't stay in power for so long without being one.

DrWHO

Sorry I was just writing while you posted your reply.

DUA,

I have read what you copied and pasted from one of the wesbites that you posted before. Nothing new in your argument and I find it strange that you as a TANZANIAN, you have decided to bring in CLARE SHORT into this...looking at her track record while she was the DFID secretary and the RADAR issue i am sure you would have know better about these Brits and their politics of manipulation

Signing the Lancaster Agreement which stalled land reform for ten years was basically an assurance by the new Zim government that they would not interfere with white property rights. Some of the actions of white farmers before land reform (e.g deliberately growing flowers instead of maize or under declaring forex) have shown the Zimbabwean govt who had the real economic power in the country and their only way to effectively counter this was TOTAL LAND REFORM

Like I said before, I think that signing the Lancaster agreement was the biggest crime of the Zim govt. Simply because it meant that by agreeing to ‘respect' existing property rights (white farmers) the Zimbabwean govt could only rely on external sources for developing the economy such as the disastrous ESAP programme (hailed by the IMF/World Bank as a miracle cure etc) and The ONLY way for the Zim govt to boost the economy was to do land reform plain and simple. They could have fought to the death for it instead of signing Lancaster. They didn't. Or perhaps Mugabe could've done land reform ten years ago when Southern Africa was not as united as it is now, when he couldn't have relied on the ‘quiet diplomacy'/support of Thabo Mbeki or MUUNGWANA WETU bwana JK

QUOTE: The Lancaster agreement ended ten years after independence, which was 1990-1992 there about. Mugabe did nothing about the land Issue........You can find an artical where Zimbabwens go on BBC news.

DUA, Yet more glossing over from you. You or your source argue that Because Mugabe did not physically begin land reform until the invasion of CONGO this means that there were no steps prior to this. This means that it was literally an overnight decision wasn't it? What you are actually saying is that because BBC news did not report anything until the west deemed the situation was critical, i.e that Mugabe was now taking land this means that nothing was going on before.

What you need to do is subtract the ten years which left Mugabe's hand tied according to the Lancaster House agreement and then find out what happened in the following ten years. I recall Mugabe trying to get the UN to apply pressure on UK to meet it's obligations of the Lancaster agreement. And this was before the year 2000.

Why do you think the BBC have gone silent over the human rights violations in EQUATORIAL GUINEA or SAUDI ARABIA?

As much as i respect your contributions in here but i think your counter arguments are weak and they are weak mainly because of your over reliance for BBC to get your facts right while forgeting that BBC's main job is to serve the British public and BBCWORLD SERVICE is to serve the agenda set by the FOREIGN AND COMMONWEALTH OFFICE (FCO)

DrWHO
I think you have a problem to understand the issue of Zimbabwe, the black Zimbabweans are the ones who complain. Changirai, teachers, students and normal people in the street even the government paper. The governor of Zimbabwe is a political appointment by Mugabe, the vice president is appointed by Mugabe. All these people they say there is something wrong but you still do not get it. I personally passed in Zimbabwe in 1982 when the exchange rate was about Z$1.00 to 1.00 USD and at that time their economy was 25 times that of Kenya.

No one refused the land distribution programme, the issue at hand is of a dictator who wants to cling to power at all costs. his age 83 years.

Mugabe did nothing after 10 years because he was still popular as mentioned above, but after his ventures in Congo etc. things turned sour. Why do you think for example Tanzania refused to send troops to fight in Congo? (other SADC send their troops)

Why do you think the BBC have gone silent over the human rights violations in EQUATORIAL GUINEA or SAUDI ARABIA?

This can't be a justification for human rights violation in Zimbabwe.

As much as i respect your contributions in here but i think your counter arguments are weak and they are weak mainly because of your over reliance for BBC to get your facts right while forgeting that BBC's main job is to serve the British public and BBCWORLD SERVICE is to serve the agenda set by the FOREIGN AND COMMONWEALTH OFFICE (FCO)

The link I gave you is for Zimbabweans themselves who have managed to put facts clear of all that is happening in their country. Its not a BBC thing. And not that only I have done a lot of projects relating to Zimbabwe. Right now we have got a project going on in Victoria Falls and Hwange national park. Just ask yourself more than 3 million people have left the country in a period of less than 5 years WHY? south Africa is deporting more than 1000 people a day, Botswana has decided to close its Embassy in Harare, all countries surrounding Zimbabwe are affected because of one dictator. WORK UP!

DUA,

Should I laugh or cry? Just come out and say it. You think Zimbabwe is a banana republic don't you? Reading your post its easy for me to tell thatthat you have been relying on western media for your analysis. Think about it. An example.As a Londoner From reading The mirror or The sun or Guardian in the time leading up to the congestion charges in London I was able to learn about opposition to it and the Mayor's reasons for doing it. What steps were being taken etc. Now if I had been abroad all this time and not checked uk press websites on a regular basis I could pick up a newspaper that told me that congestion charging has started today. I could then scratch my head wondering what brought this all on.

What do you think was going on in Zimbabwe prior to land reform? What do you think was being debated in Zimbabwe parliament prior to land reform? ‘when he has never discussed or voiced this as a policy issue before?' When you have never seen BBC reporting on a debate in parliament about proposals for land reform.When you have never seen BBC reporting a Mugabe speech about land UNTIL the situation was deemed to be serious by the west i.e they realised he was not just talking about land reform he was now doing it. i.e UNTIL white lives or livelihoods were at risk.

BTW if you think that current food shortages in Zimbabwe are because of land reform then you are having a laugh. Zimbabwe's problems are there but they are being heightened by western financial terrorism as well as sabotage by disgruntled white farmers who stockpile grains hoping to control prices.

You gave an example of 1 ZIMDOLLAR was equivalent to 1 USDOLLAR...well dont forget that at the same time 1 NAIRA (of naigeria ) was equivalent to the same 1USDOLLAR

BWANA DUA THEY REAL QUESTION YOU SHOULD HAVE ANSWERED IS:

What happens to African leaders when they implement policies aimed at raising the standard of living of indigenous Africans?

How does the West react?

Don't make me laugh! What do you want me to tell you - That ZIFA boss was Mugabe's nephew? That Mugabe killed his own brother? That Mugabe killed Tongogara? That Mugabe killed a lot of Ndebele? That Mugabe does not have a father? or his father was a Malawian. That Mugabe ni tasa? ( although the chinese and koreans tried to treat him) We know that country in and out for your information. I think when time comes you will agree with me.

Zimbabwe had about 5000 commercial white farmers, most of them stopped farming, they have got other means to survive. The majority black Zimbabwean depended on these farmers for food etc. thats why they don't have food right now. The farms taken by Mugabe and his political friends do not produce at the same level. Majority of Zimbabweans were not given the land the way you want to believe.

All what you hear from the western press has some truth but the situation on the ground is worse than what you think. Its time for this dictator to go. You do not have any idea. THATS ALL I CAN SAY. I don't think you can get those stories from BBC.

Hiyo ndio hali ya Afrika kwa ujumla, si Zimbabwe peke yake! Kazi kwetu kuendelea kukaa kimya au kutumia njia walizotumia wao wakati wakitafuta uhuru! Kwa makaratasi(kupiga kura) kamwe Afrika haitapata viongozi bora, na madikteta waliopo wataendelea kutawala.
Raia wa Zimbabwe wanakufa njaa wakati Mugabe na wenzake wakiendelea kula raha na viongozi wengine wa kiafrika wakiendelea kumuunga mkono.

Don't make me laugh! What do you want me to tell you - That ZIFA boss was Mugabe's nephew? That Mugabe killed his own brother? That Mugabe killed Tongogara? That Mugabe killed a lot of Ndebele? That Mugabe does not have a father? or his father was a Malawian. That Mugabe ni tasa? ( although the chinese and koreans tried to treat him) We know that country in and out for your information. I think when time comes you will agree with me.

where in my post did i mention about ZIFA boss or Mugabes father? as i said you should come up with counter arguments of my post. deal with my points and not some arguments from another forum

Zimbabwe had about 5000 commercial white farmers, most of them stopped farming, they have got other means to survive. The majority black Zimbabwean depended on these farmers for food etc. thats why they don't have food right now. The farms taken by Mugabe and his political friends do not produce at the same level. Majority of Zimbabweans were not given the land the way you want to believe.

DUA, you need to do some serious research before you start making sweeping comments that land reform has failed to describe an historic process that is in its infancy. Look, just like in Kenya, those White farmers had over a hundred years to perfect their farming techniques because believe me those WAZUNGUS who stole land were not farmers when they went Zimbabwe. How long have Zimbabweans been given? Not even five minutes. Also, are black Zimbabweans going to benefit from stealing cattle and slave labour as white 'zimbabweans' did? As a Tanzanian i am surprised that in 2007 you still have inferiority complex believing that WAZUNGU can do better than WAAFRICA

Also i have to to tell you that i would be the last person to suggest that Mugabe is some kind of saint and that the way he has operated is perfect (Mugabe is a politician not a saint). But the alternative of demonising Mugabe as soon as he does something to offend the west is unpalatable. The alternative of waiting for the BBC to tell us which black African leaders are good and which black leaders are bad is unpalatable. When will Africans like you wake up to the fact that it's a simple equation; African leader supporting western interests is good. African leader supporting African interests is bad. Duh!

As much as i had my own reservations about Mwalimu Nyerere's style of governing but Mwalimu made us proud to be Africans and now i understand why he was advocating self reliance

All what you hear from the western press has some truth but the situation on the ground is worse than what you think. Its time for this dictator to go. You do not have any idea. THATS ALL I CAN SAY. I don't think you can get those stories from BBC.

Look who is talking,are you taking about the same WESTERN often WHITE media that sold us the war in IRAQ? or the one that told us how good MOBUTU was until he died? give me a break

start debating and stop cutting and pasting from other forums

DrWHO
where in my post did i mention about ZIFA boss or Mugabes father? as i said you should come up with counter arguments of my post. deal with my points and not some arguments from another forum
I wrote the above to show you that I have up to date information about Zimbabwe but you do not understand. Only a narrow minded person won’t understand.
DUA, you need to do some serious research before you start making sweeping comments that land reform has failed to describe an historic process that is in its infancy. Look, just like in Kenya, those White farmers had over a hundred years to perfect their farming techniques because believe me those WAZUNGUS who stole land were not farmers when they went Zimbabwe. How long have Zimbabweans been given? Not even five minutes. Also, are black Zimbabweans going to benefit from stealing cattle and slave labour as white 'zimbabweans' did? As a Tanzanian i am surprised that in 2007 you still have inferiority complex believing that WAZUNGU can do better than WAAFRICA

Also i have to to tell you that i would be the last person to suggest that Mugabe is some kind of saint and that the way he has operated is perfect (Mugabe is a politician not a saint). But the alternative of demonising Mugabe as soon as he does something to offend the west is unpalatable. The alternative of waiting for the BBC to tell us which black African leaders are good and which black leaders are bad is unpalatable. When will Africans like you wake up to the fact that it's a simple equation; African leader supporting western interests is good. African leader supporting African interests is bad. Duh!

I don’t need to do any research about Zimbabwe as I told you before; I know what is happening there right now and not only that we have ongoing projects which make me closer to what is happening on the ground. I don’t support leaders who support western interests as you wish nor did I support a leader like Mugabe for his selfish end

Look who is talking, are you taking about the same WESTERN often WHITE media that sold us the war in IRAQ? or the one that told us how good MOBUTU was until he died? give me a break

Aren’t you the one who was advocating freedom of speech using Noam Chomsky's quotation etc.? What a hypocrite you are. Now you have changed because freedom of speech for Zimbabweans is nothing compared to your wishes and arguments. 3 million Zimbabweans fled the country because of a dictator what proof do you want?

start debating and stop cutting and pasting from other forums

What debate do you want? I’m beginning to wonder of your doctorate may be we should start debating about your integrity. What has the war in Iraq got to do with Zimbabwe? In actual fact I do praise people of Zimbabwe for their maturity to fight a monstrous dictator. I just gave you little information about Zimbabwe and I told you if surely you want to debate Zimbabwe you better go on their forum because that is where people can counter your nonsense issues. I know the truth about Zimbabwe and that is a fact.

I ask you a simple question why didn’t Tanzania sent troops to fight in Congo you never answered, and again I gave you an example of Mugabe using USD 1.2 million for his birth day, you never responded and you talk about a debate, what debate?
Have your facts right before approaching your key board. You want to compare Kenya land issue and Zimbabwe you are wrong and I wonder who commissioned you to do such a research, you can tell us the organisation who commissioned to do that research then we can contact them to know what type of Pumba you wrote.

Dua wrote:Don't make me laugh! What do you want me to tell you - That ZIFA boss was Mugabe's nephew? That Mugabe killed his own brother? That Mugabe killed Tongogara? That Mugabe killed a lot of Ndebele? That Mugabe does not have a father? or his father was a Malawian. That Mugabe ni tasa? ( although the chinese and koreans tried to treat him) We know that country in and out for your information. I think when time comes you will agree with me.

Dua,
This article which quotes Edgar Tekere who was ZANU secretary gen at the time of Zimbabwes independence disputes what you just posted. Tekere is a staunch critic of Mugabe, but he could not implicate Mugabe in Tongogara's death. Please read this.....

" from http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/tekere2.15810.html

This is what happened to Tongogara," explained Tekere. "He was disobeying orders from Machel when he was involved in an accident. Mugabe is very clean on Tongogara. This is the only time I speak good about Mugabe," Tekere said in Harare.

Kuhusu Mugabe kuwa TASA, mbona inaeleweka kwamba he lost the son he had with Sally in Ghana? Majuzi tu amekwenda kuhani kwenye kaburi la marehemu mwanawe. Zaidi Mugabe na Mama Grace wana watoto wawili.

What lies behind the Zimbabwe demolitions?

By Joseph Winter
BBC News website

The homes of some 700,000 Zimbabwean city dwellers have been demolished in the past few weeks, according to the United Nations.
Police have been moving from area to area, in some cases forcing people to knock down their own homes. In others, they have turned up with bulldozers to demolish structures which they say have been built illegally. "We were busking, enjoying the winter sun when we heard trucks and bulldozers roll in. There was pandemonium as we rushed to salvage the little we could," one resident of the capital, Harare told the BBC News website.

"In no time the cottage I had called home for three years was gone. Then it dawned on me that I was now homeless, you try and pinch yourself and wake up but this was no dream. My life had been shattered before my very own eyes."

Worshippers at a Harare mosque have even been made to destroy it, says opposition MP Trudy Stevenson. Thousands of desperate Zimbabweans are living on the streets, others have gone back to their rural homes, while some have managed to squeeze into parts of the cities not yet touched by what some are calling the "tsunami".
President Robert Mugabe said "Operation Murambatsvina [Drive out rubbish]" was needed to "restore sanity" to Zimbabwe's cities, which he said had become overrun with criminals.
His critics say it is no coincidence that opposition to his rule is strongest in urban areas - and that in March the opposition Movement of Democratic Change (MDC) won almost all urban seats for a second election in a row.
'Pre-emptive strike'

"This is harassment of urban voters," MDC secretary general Welshman Ncube told the BBC. He says the government wants people to go to rural areas, where they can be controlled more easily.

"It could also be a pre-emptive strike against poor urban people who will be worst affected by the inevitable hunger which is going to stalk the population in the next few months."
_40634190_kids203ap.jpg

Some children left school after their homes were demolished

The UN World Food Programme estimates that more than three million people will need food aid in the coming year. Some of the areas where whole rows of houses have been destroyed, such as Mabvuku and Tafara, have seen anti-government riots in the past few years.
So far, the security forces have managed to put a lid on such protests and prevent them spiralling into mass demonstrations capable of toppling the government. But maybe Mr Mugabe does not want to take any chances.
Zimbabwean politics is, however, rarely that simple.

'Necessary evil'

Many of the illegal structures which have been demolished were built on farms seized from their white owners in the past five years of a controversial land reform programme. This is Mr Mugabe's core policy and most of those who have moved onto the farms are supporters of his Zanu-PF party.
Zanu-PF chief whip Jerome Macdonald Gumbo points to this as proof that the operation is not political.
"Harare used to be a very smart town. Now it has become dirty and dangerous," he said. "The exercise is painful but it has to be done. It is a necessary evil."

Mr Ncube says that the government is actually quite glad to be moving against the war veterans, who spearheaded the invasion of white-owned farms in 2000, attacking opposition supporters as they went and paving the way for Zanu-PF's victory in the 2000 parliamentary elections.
"If they could destroy the war veterans, who have been holding this government to ransom, that would be an added bonus," he says.

Economic control

Last year, Jabulani Sibanda, the leader of the veterans of Zimbabwe's 1970s war of independence, was disciplined by Mr Mugabe, after being identified with a Zanu-PF faction which had fallen from the president's favour.
Human rights lawyer Brian Kagoro agrees that the eviction of Zanu-PF supporters from the farms shows that Operation Murambatsvina cannot simply be described as punishment for pro-opposition urban voters.
_40634192_mosque203.jpg

These are the remains of a mosque built in Harare's Hatcliffe township

But he says that whoever the victims are, their rights have been violated. "They should have been given adequate notice. Children have been pulled out of school and people with Aids have had to stop their treatment."
Some have been living in their shacks for more than 10 years and been told to demolish it in a single day, he says.
He also says that the government is destroying informal "flea markets" in order to tighten its control of the economy.

'Hypocrisy'

Most of all, the government wants to bring all the foreign currency generated in Zimbabwe into formal structures and stamp out the black market.
Some traders have been found with huge caches of foreign currency.
Mr Gumbo denies that the action has been unfair.
"These people knew that the structures were illegal - we always told them not to build them. They did not think the government would take any action," he said.
He also accuses the opposition of hypocrisy, after previously criticising the government for tolerating a situation of lawlessness.
_40634256_mugabe203ap.jpg

Supporters of President Mugabe (in photo) have not been spared

A coalition of opposition groups, including the MDC, last week organised a general strike to protest at the demolitions but it was a failure.
Mr Ncube says that Zimbabweans are angry but they are not prepared to stand up and take the risks needed to change the government.
"Every second person wants someone else to take action on their behalf."
So he is reluctant to predict that the demolitions will alienate a new section of Zimbabweans from Zanu-PF and drive them into the arms of his party.
"This government has been shooting itself in the foot for a long time, alienating more and more constituencies. The question is whether the people are willing to take political action," he says.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/africa/4101228.stm

Published: 2005/07/26 09:43:22 GMT

Imagine a government whom you support one day bulldoze the entire neighbourhood and leave people without shelter - These are not white people! DrWHO continues to support the son of devil.
_42670055_mugabe203bafp.jpg

President Mugabe blames Zimbabwe's problems on the west
Did the West tell him to bulldoze the houses? He should be happy as Mbeki is paying for his electricity bill and fuel.

jokaKuu

Now you do not know what happened, in actual fact Samora gave Tongogara a plane to travel. TRY ANOTHER NUMBER!

DrWHO,
I agree with the historical perspective of Zimbabwe's crisis that you have given us. I am with you that Mugabe had the right to distribute the land after Clare Short and the British gov' decided to abandon the Lancaster agreement.

I believe you would agree with me that NOW, Zimbabweans are suffering just because they chose Mugabe to be their President. The "smart sanctions" are affecting the common citizens than Mugabe and those in leadership.

In order to get out of this impasse basi MUGABE inabidi AN'GATUKE. Mbona Tanzania tulikuwa tumebinywa na hawa wakubwa mpaka ikabidi Mwalimu aondoke? Umesahau kauli za Mwalimu kwamba hatogeuka jiwe kwa kukubaliana na wakubwa wa IMF na WB?

YES, we do know that IMF,WB, and the western countries, have not provided the real solutions to Africa's economic and social problems, but I believe an IMF/WB/UN rescue Fund will provide a relief to Zimbabweans and enable them chart their own economic path in the future.

Mugabe was right on the land issue. He was also right to defend the territorial integrity and sovereignity of DRC. What would have happened if Angola and Zimbabwe allowed DRC to disintegrate like Somalia? But now Mugabe has totaly misculated by staying in power this long.

Back
Top Bottom