Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Zimbabwe Is Dying

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by The Truth, Jan 18, 2009.

1. T

The Truth JF-Expert Member

Jan 18, 2009
    [​IMG]
    By BOB HERBERT
    Published: January 16, 2009

If you want to see hell on earth, go to Zimbabwe where the madman Robert Mugabe has brought the country to such a state of ruin that medical care for most of the inhabitants has all but ceased to exist.

Life expectancy in Zimbabwe is now the lowest in the world: 37 years for men and 34 for women. A cholera epidemic is raging. People have become ill with anthrax after eating the decaying flesh of animals that had died from the disease. Power was lost to the morgue in the capital city of Harare, leaving the corpses to rot.

Most of the world is ignoring the agony of Zimbabwe, a once prosperous and medically advanced nation in southern Africa that is suffering from political and economic turmoil — and the brutality of Mugabe’s long and tyrannical reign.

The decline in health services over the past year has been staggering. An international team of doctors that conducted an “emergency assessment” of the state of medical care last month seemed stunned by the catastrophe they witnessed. The team was sponsored by Physicians for Human Rights. In their report, released this week, the doctors said:

“The collapse of Zimbabwe’s health system in 2008 is unprecedented in scale and scope. Public-sector hospitals have been shuttered since November 2008. The basic infrastructure for the maintenance of public health, particularly water and sanitation services, have abruptly deteriorated in the worsening political and economic climate.”

Doctors and nurses are trying to do what they can under the most harrowing of circumstances: facilities with no water, no functioning toilets and barely any medicine or supplies. The report quoted the director of a mission hospital:

“A major problem is the loss of life and fetal wastage we are seeing with obstetric patients. They come so late, the fetuses are already dead. We see women with eclampsia who have been seizing for 12 hours. There is no intensive care unit here, and now there is no intensive care in Harare.

“If we had intensive care, we know it would be immediately full of critically ill patients. As it is, they just die.”

Mugabe’s corrupt, violent and profoundly destructive reign has left Zim-babwe in shambles. It’s a nation overwhelmed by poverty, the H.I.V./AIDS pandemic and hyperinflation. Once considered the “breadbasket” of Africa, Zimbabwe is now a country that cannot feed its own people. The unemployment rate is higher than 80 percent. Malnutrition is widespread, as is fear.

A nurse told the Physicians for Human Rights team: “We are not supposed to have hunger in Zimbabwe. So even though we do see it, we cannot report it.”

Mugabe signed a power-sharing agreement a few months ago with a political opponent, Morgan Tsvangirai, who out-polled Mugabe in an election last March but did not win a majority of the votes. But continuing turmoil, including violent attacks by Mugabe’s supporters and allegations that Mugabe forces have engaged in torture, have prevented the agreement from taking effect.

The widespread skepticism that greeted Mugabe’s alleged willingness to share power only increased when he ranted, just last month: “I will never, never, never surrender ... Zimbabwe is mine.”

Meanwhile, health care in Zimbabwe has fallen into the abyss. “This emergency is so grave that some entity needs to step in there and take over the health delivery system,” said Susannah Sirkin, the deputy director of Physicians for Human Rights.

In November, the primary public referral hospital in Harare, Parirenyatwa Hospital, shut down. Its medical school closed with it. The nightmare that forced the closings was spelled out in the report:

“The hospital had no running water since August of 2008. Toilets were overflowing, and patients and staff had nowhere to void — soon making the hospital uninhabitable. Parirenyatwa Hospital was closed four months into the cholera epidemic, arguably the worst of all possible times to have shut down public hospital access. Successful cholera care, treatment and control are impossible, however, in a facility without clean water and functioning toilets.”

The hospital’s surgical wards were closed in September. A doctor described the heartbreaking dilemma of having children in his care who he knew would die without surgery. “I have no pain medication,” he said, “some antibiotics, but no nurses ... If I don’t operate, the patient will die. But if I do the surgery, the child will die also.”

What’s documented in the Physicians for Human Rights report is evidence of a shocking medical and human rights disaster that warrants a much wider public spotlight, and an intensified effort to mount an international humanitarian intervention.

Some organizations are already on the case, including Doctors Without Borders and Unicef. But Zimbabwe is dying, and much more is needed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/17/op..._r=1&th&emc=th

2. T

Jan 19, 2009
    Photographer says Mugabe's wife attacked him

By MIN LEE, AP
    Sun Jan 18, 7:23 am ET

HONG KONG – A British photographer said Sunday that the wife of Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe punched him repeatedly in the face after he tried to take pictures of her near a luxury hotel in Hong Kong.

Robert Mugabe and wife, Grace, roar with laughter over
    the AP reporter getting his ass kicked.
    [​IMG]
    Richard Jones told The Associated Press that Grace Mugabe, 43, ordered a bodyguard to hold him down and then attacked him herself on Thursday near the Shangri-La hotel on Hong Kong's Kowloon peninsula.

"She directed several punches into my face," Jones said. "She was wearing diamond-encrusted rings, which caused a lot of lacerations."

Jones, 42, from Machen in South Wales, was on a freelance assignment for London's The Sunday Times.

He said he suffered at least 10 cuts to his face but did not require hospitalization.

"She was screaming, completely crazy," The Sunday Times quoted a witness, Austrian tourist Werner Zapletal, as saying in a report Sunday.

Police spokeswoman Odelia Tam said police are investigating the alleged attack but have not made any arrests. She said she did not know the identity of the alleged attacker.

Calls seeking comment Sunday from the Zimbabwean embassy in Beijing went unanswered.

The Sunday Times condemned the attack.

"We take very seriously the freedom of journalists to operate abiding by the law in Hong Kong and we look to the Hong Kong authorities to uphold those rights at all times," said Michael Sheridan, the paper's Far East correspondent.

Zimbabwe's first lady was vacationing in Hong Kong and visiting her daughter Bona, who is studying in the Chinese-ruled former British colony, The Sunday Times said.

Grace Mugabe has left Hong Kong since the alleged attack, the report said.

Sheridan said he and Jones had been staking out the Shangri-La on Thursday, where Mugabe was believed to be staying.

Sheridan told the AP he approached Mugabe in the lobby of the Shangri-La shortly before the alleged attack, but a female companion denied her identity.

About 10 minutes later, he found Jones nearby "with his face streaming blood."

Sheridan said The Sunday Times wanted to "draw a contrast between her lifestyle and the plight of the people in Zimbabwe."

Zimbabwe is suffering from a cholera crisis that has killed 2,200 people and an economic meltdown that has seen inflation officially put at 231 million percent.

Despite the country's political and economic difficulties, Grace Mugabe went ahead with a vacation in Asia, spending time in the Malaysian island resort Langkawi and Singapore before arriving in Hong Kong, The Sunday Times said. Robert Mugabe joined his wife in Singapore for a few days, the newspaper said.

Meanwhile, the country's main opposition leader, Morgan Tsvangirai, returned home Saturday for talks Monday with Robert Mugabe about a power-sharing agreement that was reached in September but never implemented.

Source: Yahoo News

3. T

Tango Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Jana nilikutana na Mzimbabwe mmoja na nitakuwa namwona mara nyingi nyingi siku zijazo. Yaelekea ni muongeaji na nitawapa michapo kidogo kidogo kuhusiana na hali halisi ya huko.

Nilimwuliza swali moja...kwa sababu yeye ni mfanyakazi wa serikali. "Vipi mishahara yenu inabadilika badilika kila siku kama inflation?" Akanijbu aa wapi ndugu yangu. Mshahara ni ule ule na unapitia benki. Benki kuu inasema usidraw zaidi ya Bil 10 kwa mwezi ama zaidi ya 10% ya mshahara wako. Akaniambia 10bil ni kama senti kadhaa za marekani. Nikammwuliza sasa mnafanyaje kazi? Akasema yaani watu wanaenda kazini kulinda vyeo ama ajira zaolakini mori wa kazi upo chini chini kabisa. Akasema wanomba tu Mungu mvua inyeshe mwaka huu wakulima wadogowadogo wapende chakula lakini akasema pia kuwa mvua itachochea kipindipindu. Yaani jamaa alivyonielezea jana hali inatisha kweli kweli lakini nilisema nisimwulize sana kwani nitakuwa namwona almost daily.

Kama kuna mtu ana swali specific aniulize ili niweze kumdodosa jamaa atupe nyeti. Ama vipi wazee?

4. Augustine Moshi

Augustine Moshi JF-Expert Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Zimbabwe is not just dying, it's dead! I mourn for that country! Harare used to be every pleasant place to live. I myself had the pleasure of basking in its environs for two years while teaching at the University of Zimbabwe. One US$ was equivalent to 2.5 Zimbabwean Dollar then!

Mugabe's ruthlessness was noticeable even then. He used to be terribly heavy-handed with labor leaders (under Morgan Tsivangirai) and university students. In a way, he treated students in manner similar to that of Mukandala and his boss, JK

It is difficult to imagine a life expectancy of just 37 years for men and 34 years for women. According to that standard, most of us here at JF are technically dead! It's also amazing that in Zimbabwe, men are living longer than women. In normal countries, life expectancy for men is a couple of years lower than that of the fairer sex.

We have the potential to end up like Zimbabwe. If we allow the current lot of leaders to "rule us forever", as they so desperately wish, then that is exactly what will happen to us.

5. Cynic

Cynic JF-Expert Member

Jan 19, 2009
    The solution now is for the entire country to engage in civil disobedience as a means of achieving change. It worked well against much more ruthless Communist rulers in Romania, Poland etc.

6. T

Jan 19, 2009
    I am not very hopeful for any form of uprising against the Mugabe government from the masses. If any form of civil disobedience was going to happen, it would have happened by now. The most important difference between Romanians, Polish and Zimbabweans is their average IQ. They have average IQ scores of 94, 99, and 66 respectively. I am a big believer that one's IQ score measures intelligence or at least IQ score is correlated to one's intelligence. 66 average IQ score is extremely low that is why I am not hopeful of the Zimbabwe masses.

7. Nkamangi

Nkamangi JF-Expert Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Tango, pse ask him if the ATMs in zim still work...and if they do, could he please paint a verbal picture for me describing its use in the current situation?
    The truth what is the source of your IQ stats or are you just a Darwinian scholar?

8. Augustine Moshi

Jan 20, 2009
    This comment by The Truth is very condescending. Who worked out the "average" IQ of a Zimbabwean?

As they say, there are lies, damn lies and Statistics. It would seem to me that The Truth is of a rather low IQ. How else could he have failed to realize that no one knows the average IQ of a Zimbabwean?

I had the pleasure of observing, during the early nineties, that Zimbabwean students followed the Cambridge Syllabus, and that their scores were, on the average, higher than those
    of British students.

The Truth is, I submit, telling lies

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  9. T

Jan 20, 2009
    The IQ figures can be found in the following books

1. Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen (2006). IQ and Global Inequality. Washington Summit Publishers: Augusta, GA

2. Lynn, R. and Vanhanen, T. (2002). IQ and the wealth of nations. Westport, CT: Praeger.

One possible explanation for your observation is Zimbabwean students studied more, put more hours and effort into cramming for the exam. It is rote learning. IQ tests are designed to avoid that.

The truth is telling the truth

10. Augustine Moshi

Jan 20, 2009
    Are you saying that things are true simply on account that they can be found in books? You must be treating every book as Scripture!

There are places like China where freedom is severely curtailed and yet we see no popular unrest. Would you blame it on the IQ of the Chinese too!

11. T

Jan 20, 2009
    No, but until you can disprove or debunk those books I'll have to believe them.

You can't really compare what's going on in China to the situation in Zimbabwe. It is apples and oranges. China isn't dying plus I do recall the Chinese university students protesting in Tiananmen square against the government.

12. Augustine Moshi

Jan 20, 2009

I know a book that says that there is no God, and I can't debunk that. Are you going to believe that God doesn't exist simply because I cannot prove that to be a lie?

Do you also recall what happened to them? Do you also recall that the only thing they achieved was to be mowed down by the army?

We can compare repression in China with repression in Zimbabwe. It is all repression. The only difference is the degree of the consequences.

13. Mahesabu

Mahesabu JF-Expert Member

Jan 20, 2009
    tayari upo biase na against THE REAL MAN, so news yoyote favouring him uta-act kama western media

14. T

Jan 20, 2009
    Well if you can't defend your faith in God then maybe you should the believe the book. But you can't expect others to do the same. Perhaps there are people who can debunk that book. Try a religious forum and see the results.

Hey, freedom is not cheap but the point is the Chinese rose up. You said you see no popular unrest in China.

Shouldn't those consequences make the difference then?

15. Nyambala

Nyambala JF-Expert Member

Jan 20, 2009
    So Mr. The truth, in ur perspective r u tring to tell us that Somalis have higher IQ's compared to Zimbabweans or else Kenyans?

16. Killuminati

Killuminati JF-Expert Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Hats off to people of Zimbabwe,2po nanyi always na ktk sala zetu,halafu the so-called chairman wa African Unity anachekacheka tu na Mugabe all the time, Hypocrite as* president.God do your thing, let your boy Robert die, he needs to go, 4 real!!

17. T

Jan 21, 2009
    Sub-saharan countries don't differ significantly in average IQs. I can tell you the average in the region is low. Which explains the region's plight. Why do you ask?

18. Susuviri

Susuviri JF-Expert Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Truth, you brought up a very good topic, I would suggest that you keep off the IQ issue and this sad issue about Zimbabwe can continue to be discussed. It is very relevant and it serves as areminder for those in JF who were busy defending Mugabe eti kaonewa! Pulllllll-ease!
    I am personally horrified by the article about Mrs Mugabe assaulting a reporter, it shows how demented both of them are! I know that change will come very soon to Zimbabwe, and when it happens it will be bloody and terrible. Just to draw a parallel, this is more like Romania than Poland. And see how in the blink of an eye a docile, downtrodden people rose up and wiped out the tyrant Ceausescu and his wife.

19. Black Jesus

Black Jesus JF-Expert Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Nitapenda kumnukuu Rais wa awamu ya Tatu Mr Mkapa alikuwa anatwambia kuwa zimbabwe ni ndugu wa damu na Tanzania sasa leo nduo hao wapo katika mazingira kama hayo waliyo nayo ni wakati kwa serekali ya TANZANIA kuwa bega kwa bega na ndugu wa zimbabwe katika wakati huu wanawahitajia ndugu zao

20. Mbu

Mbu JF-Expert Member

Jan 21, 2009
    View attachment 3356

...ama kweli, "Besides every successful man, there is a good woman of noble character", haka kababu kalikuwa kanaheshimika sana kabla mkewe hajafa.

kuporomoka kwake kulianzia alipom- 'monika Lewinsky' huyo Grace, kabla ya kumchukua jumla toka kwa mumewe, Cpt Stan Goreranza.

R.I.P Sally Hayfron-Mugabe.

View attachment 3357