Zambia mourns former First Lady Betty Kaunda

bagamoyo

JF-Expert Member
Jan 14, 2010
Friday, September 2012

Zambia is mourning the death of Betty Kaunda, wife of the country's founding president, Kenneth Kaunda, who died early Wednesday in Zimbabwe while visiting her daughter.

The former First Lady is viewed as the mother of the nation and the strength of her husband, who played a leading role during Africa's liberation struggle. Kaunda was 84.

Zambia's Minister for Foreign Affairs and Tourism, Given Lubinda, President Michael Sata and several Zambians were shocked and saddened by the death of the woman known by most Zambians as "Mama Kaunda."

"The Zambian people and the government received the information about Mama Kaunda's passing, with a great sense of shock because the last time she appeared in public in the company of her husband, she looked well and happy.

The former First Lady was considered by all Zambians as a mother of the nation, and the country at the moment is engulfed in a sense of grief," he said.

Lubinda said Kaunda's popularity even in death, and nearly 21 years since her husband left power, is symptomatic of the kind of humble life she led.

"People in Zambia remember very well the painful experience that Ms Kaunda underwent in 1990 after Frederick Chiluba became the second Republican president. President Kaunda was humiliated, together with his family, and yet Madam Betty Kaunda handled everything with such a sense of responsibility and so much grace," he said.

He said the late former first lady is also mourned by many Zambians because in life they consider her as a fountain of hope and inspiration

Her husband contributed greatly towards the liberation of Zambia and the southern African region.

Lubinda, who said Mama Kaunda was the strength of her husband during the liberation struggle, said the Zambian government will give the passed lady a befitting funeral.

According to The Zambia Post newspaper, Mama Kaunda is survived by her 88-year-husband, eight children, 30 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren.

Source: Zambia mourns former First Lady Betty Kaunda*- World*|monitor.co.ug

An exemplary of a woman who stands by his husband no matter what. She was one of the great in that in her own way. Rest in Peace Betty and congratulations on a great life experience you have lived.

An exemplary of a woman who stands by his husband no matter what. She was one of the great in that in her own way. Rest in Peace Betty and congratulations on a great life experience you have lived.

Mkuu watch your gramma! you need to revisit the words in red. Using your own words, your sentence should have read "An exemplary woman who always stood by her husband. She was one of the greatest women, we congratulate her for the great life experience she endured. Rest In Peace Betty"

ha ha! Makubwa..kumbe bi.Betty alikua mwanaume?? we AshaDii una hangover nini?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mkuu watch your gramma! you need to revisit the words in red. Using your own words, your sentence should have read "An exemplary woman who always stood by her husband. She was one of the greatest women, we congratulate her for the great life experience she endured. Rest In Peace Betty"

I appreciate your correction on the grammar.

If I use the sentence you have suggested and I quote part of it "An exemplary woman who always stood by her husband…." It is right but it would mean I had intended to express spotlighting sorely on her; that in this case was not my intent (asmuchas your suggestion too is correct).

What I was aiming at is, she is an example of all women who stand by their husbands no matter what. Re-visit the sentence and you will find it correct except of the pronoun.

On the second part of the sentence you have picked the word ‘endure'. It may sound better, and I like it more, though it does not mean the word I used earlier was wrong…

BTW Mwakidondo hebu mtakie R.I.P marehemu... Yaani umeishia tu kunikosoa kweli?

Pole sana mzee Kaunda, familia na Taifa lote la Zambia kwa msiba uliowapata. Mungu ailaze roho ya marehemu mama Betty Kaunda mahali pema peponi. Amen.

Jamani huyu ndiye Rais wetu...Ni wazi pasipo pingamizi kuwa wale wote wanao takiwa kuwajibika hawawezi kufanya hivyo sababu walitimiza maagizo waliyo pewa ambapo pasi shaka sasa kila mtu anajua yalitoka kwa nani. Tuna mtaka bwana mkubwa kuanzia sasa asitume salamu za rambi rambi kwa wafiwa wowote wale itakapo jitokeza mbeleni kwa watu wasio magamba na wala kuhudhiria misiba mpaka pale atakapo fanya hivyo kwa Mwangosi ambapo atakuwa amemtendea haki.

Naomba sana MODS thread hii msiiondoe make kufanya hivyo ni kuendeleza wimbi la kificha ukweli jambo ambalo itakuwa kinyume na mission ya forum hii.

Kwanza sina hakika kama anafahamu kuwa MWANGOSI ni marehemu kwa kuuwawa na Polisi!!!!!

heading na content ya habari umeviachanisha sana mkuu; funguka moja kwa moja, anyway mi nimekuelewa unachotaka kumaanisha.

heading na content ya habari umeviachanisha sana mkuu; funguka moja kwa moja, anyway mi nimekuelewa unachotaka kumaanisha.
Unashangaa nini?? yeye na hao ni kama samaki na maji wanapatana kinoma.Ni lazima akashiriki maziko yake.LAKINI KWA MWANGOSI HAKUTAKA KUSIKIA CHOCHOTE KWANI WALIOTEKEKELEZA MAUAJI YALE NI VIJANA WANAO LINDA UWEPO WAKE.NO KUSIKITIKA NO RAMBIRAMBI.Na CDM wakate kupokea rambirambi zake mpaka atakapo laani mauaji ya mwangosi na kumpiga chini yule jambazi kamhanda.

Back
Top Bottom