Opposition says Yemens president Saleh agrees to step down Yemens embattled President Ali Abdullah Saleh agreed to sign a plan to transfer power to his deputy in return for immunity from prosecution, a senior opposition figure said on Monday.The negotiations that have been under way for the past three days have led to an agreement by which the Gulf initiative and mechanisms for implementing it will be signed on Tuesday, Mohammed Bassandawa, who heads the National Council of revolutionary forces, told AFP news agency. The plan submitted by the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) calls on Saleh to hand power to his deputy, Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi, ending his 33-year rule. Saleh has so far refused to sign the agreement, despite violence which has seen hundreds of people killed and thousands wounded since an uprising against his regime erupted in January. There was no immediate confirmation from the Yemeni authorities. But several opposition sources insisted the plan would be signed on Tuesday in the capital Sanaa. The GCC plan proposes the formation in Sanaa of a government of national unity, Saleh transferring power to Hadi and an end to the deadly protests. Saleh would submit his resignation to parliament within 30 days, to be followed two months later by a presidential election. Saleh has has three times backed away from signing the accord. The unrest has left Yemen, the poorest country in the Middle East, on the brink of collapse. The governments crackdown left hundreds dead and thousands wounded since January.