Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Xenophobia and its effects

Discussion in 'Kenyan News and Politics' started by kshaka, Aug 13, 2012.

1. kshaka

kshaka JF-Expert Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Anyone who's spent any time on this forum, including many fair minded Tanzanians, cannot fail to have noticed the anti-Kenyan xenophobia peddled by the likes of Geza Ulole, Askari Kanzu, Bantugbro and others.

It has to be pointed out that such hateful attitudes have got real world consequences. The demonisation of Kenyans that we see, not just on this forum but in Tanzanian national discourse (to the extent that they call us nyang'aus) is a precursor of worse to come. It is the same pattern that we saw in South Africa where they call Africans, including Tanzanians, makwerekwere.

Such verbal violence against human beings, such dehumanisation always allows the people doing it to treat the object of their hatred as something less than human and that is where we are headed with the hatred the Tanzanian intelligentsia are formenting against Kenyans. As the English say, "give a dog a bad name and hang him".

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Bystanders+watched+church+mothers+die+/-/1056/1477890/-/bqpu20z/-/index.html

2. Askari Kanzu

Askari Kanzu JF-Expert Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Acha kujidharau kiasi hicho. Jivunie lugha yako na sio kuandika kizungu kibovu. Hii kasumba ni lini itakutoka?

3. chash

chash JF-Expert Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Kuwa mpole kshaka. This is hate speech.

4. G

Gangi Longa Senior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Bystanders ‘watched church mothers die'

[​IMG]

Ms Susan Ngina alights from an ambulance at Tumbi Hospital in Kibaha, Tanzania, on August 10, 2012 before she was taken to the Muhimbili National Hospital with the other survivors of the road accident. Photo/JOSEPH ZABLON

By NATION REPORTER
    Posted Sunday, August 12 2012 at 23:30

Survivors of an accident in Tanzania which claimed 12 members of a church group on Sunday said the death toll might have been lower had there been quick response from the authorities and bystanders.

"A group of locals gathered around us and just stared without doing anything as the victims were crying out for help while others were dying," said Ms Agnes Muthoni Muhoro, a member of the Presbyterian Church of East Africa Women's Guild.

Gospel mission

She was among 84 mothers from six PCEA churches in Thika Parish, who were travelling for a week-long gospel mission to Dar es Salaam when calamity struck.

Ms Muhoro, a teacher at St Patrick's Primary School, said some of the bystanders even stole valuables from the dead before Tanzanian police arrived at the scene.

Another survivor, Ms Mary Ndung'u, said some youths were demanding to be paid to help rescue the victims.

Ms Margaret Mukora concurred, saying one of them was heard shouting "nyinyi wa mama wa Kenya si mtoe hela tuwasaidie? (Why don't you women from Kenya give us some money so that we may help you)."

However, the Women's Guild national coordinator Veronica Muchiri and Juja MP William Kabogo praised the Kenyan government's quick response to the tragedy by airlifting the injured to hospital.

Earlier, relatives of the victims were overcome by emotions during a joint service for family members held at the PCEA Happy Valley Church in Thika. Rev Festus K Gitonga, the PCEA secretary general, conducted the service.

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Bystanders+watched+church+mothers+die+/-/1056/1477890/-/bqpu20z/-/index.html

Share This Story

5. G

Gangi Longa Senior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Well this kind of misleading reporting is the sort of thing we r used to read on the part of Tanzanians by Nationmedia! Whether investigative journalism is applied to or Journalistic principles r adhered to or not, i find aimed at smearing hate among the two nations and the writer was full of emotions while jotting!

First of all, the driver of the second bus had to be dully responsible for causing a reckless accident that could be avoided if he could just secure the scene of accident the moment he arrived there as a first person! As a result of his carelessly but highly dangerous act, he chose to do a u-turn and (possibly) without even using the hazards to alert other road users; the mistake that led to the loss of 12 lives! As a driver there is no excuse for that since all drivers (esp. passenger drivers) r well informed to be aware of what to do upon occurrence of such accidents. The use of road hazard reflector (triangles) at appropriate distance (100m) in front and (100m)behind should the accident area could have also averted the disaster! Especially looking at the danger posed by the terrain of the place the accident happened (near Wami area) a truck can not manage to stop at a distance less than 100m even if travelling at <60km/hr at that particular steeply terrain! But it is pity that what this media knows of is how to witch hunt on Tanzanians the people living that live on harmony and have no problem with anybody!

Moreover according to laws in Tanzania, commercial passenger buses travel at day and trucks travel at night! Though i understand these two buses were not traveling on commercial basis, an explanation of why a timely rescue did not arrive can easily been seen on simple facts that the traffic of road users is lower at that time! Apart from the fact that the scene of the accident was a very remote area! Whereas robbing the injured is not accepted anywhere on earth it is a common habit in many parts of Africa (and this particular place has had a share of bandits before) that has to be stopped instead of victimizing a particular society. Having said so, Nationmedia has an obligation to prove to us that such thing does not happen in Kenya otherwise the least they can do they should sympathize/condole with the those who lost their kins/relatives instead of instigating hate where doesn't exist!

6. Edzeame

Edzeame Senior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Tz is a very perfect society maybe they are not used to such tragedies.

7. Dhuks

Dhuks JF-Expert Member

Aug 13, 2012
    I just hope this report is not true because it does not augur well to the first respondents from a human perspective

8. chash

chash JF-Expert Member

Aug 14, 2012
    On the above photo we see a 'Kenyan ambulance' that must have traveled very fast to arrive all the way from Kenya and take the lady to Tumbi hospital and then to Muhimbili. Secondly we thank the 'Kenyan police women' and 'kenyan policeman' we see on the photo above helping the lady. Am sure Tanzania ambulance and Tanzania police were nowhere at the site. We are very sorry that "A group of locals gathered around and just stared without doing anything as the victims were crying out for help while others were dying," The stupid bystanders should have supplied the injured with bandages, performed artificial resuscitation on them and gave blood to those who needed, not just to help remove them from the bus. The bystanders should be taken to Kenya and learn what a bystander should do in the event of an accident. They should especially be taken to Limuru - Naivasha road especially around Fly over, Njabini where not only people get robbed in the event of an accident but also the vehicle is left as scrap after, not only the passengers but also all the tyres, car seats and engine have been stolen. We are sorry that the accident was caused by the Tanzanian drivers who made a 'U' turn on an highway. Am sure Kenya drivers would not have caused such an accident. Let us mourn with those who lost there loved ones instead of blame game.

9. Kigogo

Kigogo JF-Expert Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Sasa walitaka wafanyeje...

10. G

Geza Ulole JF-Expert Member

Aug 14, 2012
    cha ajabu anayeandika haya mambo hutumia jina la Nation Reporter! Kama hana sinister motives why hiding his name? To me it seems he was trying to glorify Kibaki so much to an extent insulting the helping hand that brought those same Kenyans to the safety from the accident site in the end! This tells of how the Kenyan society at large is polarized by such hate sentiments! One thing i should ask Kibaki what has he done to give back the IDPs their lost land? Where was he to intervene when over 4 mio. Kenyans were facing hunger up North? where was this same media to criticize Kibaki at that time to even dare to throw hate sentiments to the response by Tanzanians on their mothers? Ohho those mothers came from Thika and are fellow tribeswomen to Kibaki! This is how Kenyan society has become! No wonders!

11. Dhuks

Dhuks JF-Expert Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I guess you cannot pen a post without showing us how retarded your thought process is. I expected there would be unanimity in condemning the Tanzanian bystanders if indeed the said words were uttered. I may have no respect to Geza for the gibberish he normally posts here but i would be a bigger fool if i were to witness him helpless somewhere in need of help that i can provide and live him to his devices when incapacitated.
    We can always disagree without hating and i applaud the Tanzanians who helped the accident victims get medical assistance while at the same time condemning those who stood by and watched. There are demons amongst us both in Kenya and Tanzania and those are the ones we should be casting stones at not the general Tanzania population.

12. G

Aug 14, 2012
    so u can't see a point why a quick and costly response to Thika women who were already in hospitals while others r dying of hunger and no food has been sent there whereas others since 2007 have no place to sleep! Isn't this what Jirongo said of certain people r highly considered when special treatment is needed?

Back to the point; as for me i understand the hesitation by the bystanders since if u read the Capital fm reporting they say the first bus made a u turn to go and help the second bus that rolled into a valley he put on hazards; a truck come stopped (meaning hazards by the bus were blocked and nothing of road hazard reflectors (triangles) is mentioned as gangilonga has just suggested here) and it was so dark they couldn't see anything and while contemplating what to do, a loud bang was head another truck came and hit all this vehicles that were on road causing the second bus to roll into the valley! In simple senses all this happened since the road was not proper secured and i tell u if i were a bystander i would not dared to enter the valley with such happenings! I repeat God forbid me HELL NO!! since in a usual human being mind an anticipation of yet another bang will be on the cards at that particular moment considering how dark and dangerous it was resulting into one asking oneself whether to go down the valley or wait for responsible authorities to provide help! I believe a picture of the area would have helped to give a clear analysis of the dangers of jumping to help while heavy trucks r still navigating that same road on that darkness! Oh Kenyans pls spare us this hate! at list Capital fm has been neutral to point an accusing finger to Tanzanians the way Nationmedia always does!

TZ crash survivors tell the ordeal

Posted by CATHERINE KARONGO on August 12, 2012

[​IMG]The injured and deceased women were airlifted by the Kenya Airforce on orders of President Mwai Kibaki

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 12 &#8211; It was a mixed feeling of tears and joy as relatives, friends and worshippers gathered at the PCEA church in Landless area of Thika where over 80 women were involved in an accident in Tanzania on Friday.
    Esther Maina is one of the survivors of the accident that involved two buses that were ferrying the women on a church mission to Tanzania.
    "The drivers had agreed to follow each other closely but at some point we realised that we could not see the lights of the other vehicle that was to follow us. Our driver informed us that he was going to stop to see whether the other vehicle would approach," Esther narrates.
    It did not and instead one of the women called another in the other bus who informed them that they had been involved in an accident and their bus had rolled.
    "We asked them where they were but they could not explain because none knew the route and there were no road signs and we didn't even know how far we were. So we had to make a u-turn and go back and try to locate where they were," she added.
    She remembers that it was very dark and they were using torches to try and locate their colleagues from both sides of the road.
    "We could not locate them and we called again and told them if there was anyone who was not badly hurt to come out of the vehicle and come to the road so that we could see exactly where they were," she says.
    "We made another U-turn and that is when we met another truck which had already stopped and we came out, our driver put on the hazard and stopped on the left side of the road so that we could alight and go and help our friends."
    She says the first bus involved in the accident had rolled at a valley on the slippery road. It had been drizzling.
    "It had rolled several times but it had landed on the side. I am a nurse and so I tried to use my phone to locate the victims who were injured. The driver had been trapped inside the bus," she says.
    And when they were removing the injured from the vehicle, they heard a loud bang. A trailer had rammed on the second bus making it also roll several times.
    "We forgot about the initial accident and we rushed over to that place and we realised most of the people who were lying on the floor had already passed away or they were in their last moments. We tried everything that we could," she remembers.
    She says it took long for them to receive help despite the villagers gathering around.
    "The villagers came in big numbers but they didn't come to assist. They were watching us all along. We continued screaming and asking them to help us remove the people who were trapped in the bus and they were just standing there, I don't know, I don't know, they were saying that they had not seen another accident like that one."
    She says there was a lot of delay in helping the injured which caused some to die whereas they could have survived if they got immediate help.
    "They say the distance is far from Dar-es-Salaam so they took a long time, over two hours before the first vehicle came to assist us carry the injured to hospital.
    She says the first bus could have rolled due to the condition of the road but it did not have any mechanical problem.
    A memorial service for the 13 who perished in the accident is to be held on Wednesday.
    Church leader Festus Gitonga praised the quick response by the Kenyan government to evacuate the women from Tanzania.
    "The speed of the government is fast when they are willing. We were happy when the President issued the orders because things moved very fast," he said.
    Area MP William Kabogo who joined in the Sunday service said the government would cater for the funeral expenses.
    "We are grateful to the government because Friday was a very long day and we saw the hand of government in helping and we would want to thank them so much. We kept informing his Excellency the President because he was interested in knowing what exactly was happening," he said.
    Fifty eight survivors of the accident were flown back to the country and rushed to Kenyatta National hospital late Friday after the President directed the Air force to facilitate their safe return.
    Seven of the survivors were in a critical condition.
    The bodies of the deceased were also flown in and taken to the Kenyatta University mortuary.
    http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2012/08/tz-crash-survivors-tell-the-ordeal/

13. Askari Kanzu

Aug 14, 2012
    Well, in the same breath don't forget to condemn the Nation reporter who penned a misleading story!

14. Dhuks

Dhuks JF-Expert Member

Aug 14, 2012
    He/she relied on one of the survivors account, or what is the misleading bit?

15. G

Aug 14, 2012
    who happened to be Kikuyu from Thika sio? why the hell did the writer hide his/her name? what was she/he fearing if at all the news had no negative connotation? Pls leave us alone u r not forced to visit Tanzania and don't force to be treated special, the more u write this negative stuffs the more Tanzanians read and expand their disapproval of u guys

16. chash

chash JF-Expert Member

Aug 14, 2012
    You have hit the head on the nail!!!!!!!

17. Dhuks

Dhuks JF-Expert Member

Aug 14, 2012
    You believe every journalist should pen his/her name next to every article written? Well it doesn't work that way at Nation media and if that is what made you go on a roll, please yourself. I can see you have a following who are blinded by Kikuyu-ism and hunger so i leave you to continue with your diatribe at every available opportunity.

Yes he helped Thika mothers because they were Kikuyus; he actually sent an advance team to verify their ethnicity same as he did to Sinai victims here
    http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000043203&pageNo=1

18. Kabaridi

Kabaridi JF-Expert Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I cannot believe this is the tribalism being peddled

19. G

Aug 14, 2012
    cause at Nationmedia, they spearhead hate lies and r afraid of consequences; just to assure u these same rhetoric will play back during ur 2013 elections though will be on tribes instead of countries! and u will understand what hate is!

20. Askari Kanzu

Aug 14, 2012
    Then you must be blind (if you do not see it, that is). No need to exonerate the reporter. He/she is just as biased!