Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

World's Poverty Map. What do you make of it?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by nomasana, Jan 22, 2010.

1. n

nomasana JF-Expert Member

Jan 22, 2010
    People living on less than $1.25 a day

[​IMG]

People living on less than $2 a day
    [​IMG]

World Poverty Maps (2009) based on latest available UN figures

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty[/ame]

2. Kipala

Kipala JF-Expert Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Kumbe kufuatana na ramani hii TZ ni maskini kuliko Kongo na maskini mara tatu kuliko Kenya? Siamini ni kweli lakini ni uthebitisho ya kwamba takwimu za nchi ni duni sana. Au labda ni kwa kusudi maana TZ chini ya Nyerere ilifaulu sana kuchota pesa za nchi za kibepari wakati wa kulaumu ubepari....

3. n

Jan 22, 2010
    good observations.

click on that link i posted above look at the figures and try to figure out what are the reasons behind south africa, nigeria, namibia, botswana(very disappointed by this country, i was expeting more) dismall numbers?

4. n

Jan 22, 2010
    here is what this one nigerian forumer from another african forum said. i think he has a very valid point

am sorry but am not impressed with these numbers

i am left to wonder aloud how can a country with 65million mobile phone users like nigeria have 80% of its citizens living on less than $2 a day?

for your info $2 a day means $730 a yr. .
    equivalent to N 109,500 a yr or N9125 a month
    whearas a conservative estimate of phone use would be around N7500 a month on recharge cards by the average mobile phone user in nigeria
    that means this UN estimate is telling us most nigerians use 80% of their income on mobile phone recharge cards,never mind food,rent,fuel,and entertainment
    now the lowest paid nigerian worker in the formal sector gets about N12,000 a month. . and thats for unskilled workers like cleaners and so on
    for govt employees it ranges from N30,000 upwards a month
    some teachers get as much as N45,000 a month
    for the private sector its much higher. . .and the informal sector is usually much better also

now why i say this is that i would personally put Nigerian poverty at 50% and more skewed to the rural areas. .
    but while these ppl may be poor,they are not desperate as they generally have farms for food,have shelter over their heads and are mostly content
    and some even have mobile phones. .so go figure

5. Injinia

Injinia JF-Expert Member

Jan 23, 2010
    That means I am part of the 20% Tanzanians that live on >2$ a day!! Yippee!! I am officially off the hook.

This is so stupid, biased and baseless. I agree with the Nigerian above.
    There is something behind these reports, mara Tanzania 2nd poorest country in the world, mara sijui nini. It is time African governments and intellectuals (especially economists and statisticians) take a stand...somebody is benefiting from labeling certain countries as poor etc...so that aid continues to flow to the said countries further crippling our economies and most importantly, our minds!!

Mi nakuwa wa kwanza kuikataa hii ripoti.

6. G

Geza Ulole JF-Expert Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I was thinking you are smart my friend but having used wikipedia i have no reason to challenge your findings! Why not trying WB, IMF statistics? are you alergic to sources that every government in this World use? :D

Furthermore read here [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:General_disclaimer[/ame]

And it looks like Nomasana did put this page as was last modified on 19 January 2010 at 16:36 correlating to the discussions in this forum! The authenticity of wikipedia can not be accepted anywhere since even fools like this one can put up his crap! Moreover even the links cited are not available! Lets be constructive and stop this personal vendetta!

7. M

Mzee2000 JF-Expert Member

Jan 23, 2010
    These people are so ignorant, tatizo sisi waafrika we believe everything the mzungu says thinking they are more knowledgable than us, lakini ukija ulaya you will be suprised by their ignorance. Watu wengi wanafikiri afrika ni nchi moja . Anybody can edit wikipedia so dont trust it!

8. D

Darwin JF-Expert Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Wahakikishieni hao wazungu kwakutokutegemea misaada yao.

Kama bado mnategemea misaada yao wataamua watakacho kusema kila siku kuhusu Afrika.

9. R

Rubabi Senior Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Agree.Sasa tuna raisi anayeona fahari kupiga picha akitabasamu huku akipokea hundi ya 'wahisani'.

Akiulizwa mafanikio yake anasema oh last time nilipoenda marekani niliweza kuwashawishi kunipa misaada.. yaani you are proud for being a beggar!!

Thats why we will never be taken seriously!

10. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Mkulu bado anatembeza kopo?