Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

With God on our side

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Andrew Nyerere, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Andrew Nyerere

Andrew Nyerere Verified User

Jan 28, 2009
    With God On Our Side?

President Obama acknowledged nonreligious Americans in his Inaugural Address. Will his administration re-separate church and state?

Paul Waldman | January 27, 2009 | web only

We know that Barack Obama is all about inclusion. Still, it was a little surprising to hear him give a nod in his Inaugural Address to a group that has been one of America's most disdained, particularly when it comes to politics. "We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers," he said, no doubt bringing a smile to millions of faces around the country, and a scowl to millions more.

It may be that this is the last we'll hear from President Obama on the topic, or it may be that he'll actually take steps to dial back the efforts some have made over the last few years to make the federal government as Christian as possible. Either way, the inclusion of nonbelievers didn't represent all that much of a political risk. But it was noteworthy nonetheless, particularly coming at the conclusion of what was in some ways the most sectarian administration in our history. George W. Bush not only talked frequently about his Christianity (much more often than our first born-again president, Jimmy Carter), he also funneled millions of tax dollars to groups that used social services as a tool for evangelizing. Recall that David Frum, a former Bush speechwriter, wrote in his book The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush that the first words he heard on his first day in the Bush White House were "Missed you at bible study" (though the reproach was actually directed at fellow speechwriter Michael Gerson, not Frum).

2. MaxShimba

MaxShimba JF-Expert Member

Jan 29, 2009

Obama is a Christian, that is the bottom line. Muslims still don't have a chance in the US of A elite Gov, due to their radical, debauched, and immoral acts and behavior around the world.

It is hard if not impossible to trust these people. They aspired that life, fair and good enough, they got it, 100 %. Now they are lamenting like kids.

3. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Hi Max simba, its kind of unfair to stereotype people on religious basis. Based on my knowledge, only a few Muslims are radical, immoral...... the rest are law abiding patriots.

4. Kang

Kang JF-Expert Member

Jan 29, 2009
    "I'm a Christian, and I believe in parents being able to provide children with religious instruction without interference from the state. But I also believe our schools are there to teach worldly knowledge and science. I believe in evolution, and I believe there's a difference between science and faith. That doesn't make faith any less important than science. It just means they're two different things. And I think it's a mistake to try to cloud the teaching of science with theories that frankly don't hold up to scientific inquiry." - Obama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Abdulhalim

Abdulhalim JF-Expert Member

Jan 29, 2009

Argumentum ad venerecundiam..

6. Kang

Kang JF-Expert Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I think you mean verecundiam. Im not arguing anything, the thread is about Obamas views on religion and I'm just pointing them out.

7. Abdulhalim

Jan 29, 2009
    Yep..
    I didn't say you arguing, the bottom line is BHO is NOT a competent AUTHORITY in neither Christianity nor how the universe come into existence..

Aii?

8. Kang

Kang JF-Expert Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I think he is pretty competent, not the highest authority but competent nevertheless.
    You don't have to be an evolutionary scientist to have a firm understanding of evolution and you don't have to be the pope to understand Christianity.

9. Abdulhalim

Jan 29, 2009
    Really?

Thats Y I said this:

He is NOT competent and thats is the way IT IS. Being the presidaa, doesn't make him competent or semi-competent on issues which he isn't..!

10. Kang

Kang JF-Expert Member

Jan 29, 2009
    It is not an appeal to authority! I never said he is competent BECAUSE he is the president of the USA.
    What makes you say he is not competent to comment on the subject? He is a highly educated and intelligent man who comes from a diverse cultural and religious background, HE IS MORE THAN COMPETENT.

And while the fact that he is the US president does not make him any more right, it makes his opinion important because he will shape the way the issue is addressed in the US.

11. Abdulhalim

Jan 29, 2009
    What I said is that the guy is NOT a competent authority on the issues which you quoted above. Therefore he can just go to hell with his opinions. And any move to praise his position as a baseline on these issues, is simply fallacious. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  12. MaxShimba

Jan 29, 2009

One bad apple? Is that what you mean? Do you remember 911? How many Muslim/Islam Countries celebrated?

Is that one bad apple?

13. MaxShimba

Jan 29, 2009

What about it?

14. Kang

Kang JF-Expert Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I understand what you said, but its completely baseless!! I have already demonstrated why I think he is competent and I ask you again WHY IS HE NOT COMPETENT?

15. K

Koba JF-Expert Member

Jan 29, 2009
    ...christian talaban utawajua tuu!

16. Abdulhalim

Jan 30, 2009

I doubt if you understood my point, if you did , you wouldn't put forward the same inaccurate suggestions. I repeat my point: BHO is not a COMPETENT AUTHORITY in issues of evolution and Christianity.

He might be competent but not AN AUTHORITY..Thats why I said:

Is this still difficult for you to understand?

17. Abdulhalim

Jan 30, 2009
    Kwa watu wapole 'akilini' kama wewe BHO ni authority and a benchmark ktk kila KITU & DISCIPLINE..

Bua ha ha ha..

18. MaxShimba

Jan 30, 2009

Mtindiowaubongo, kumbuka hawa jamaa huwa wanafuata mkumbo, darwin mungu wao kafa, yaani ni marehemu, hawana wa kufuata, ndio maana kang anazungumza below par with very low thinking and reasoning. Anatapatapa kama kuku anayetafuta pahali pa kutaga. It is sad and shame.

The boy, failed to understand why BHO said that, amekurupuka na kuandika utumbo. Huo ndio u-darwin, .....!

19. Kang

Kang JF-Expert Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Haha I think your loosing it now, so you admit its not an appeal to authority now?
    So a completely competent person can not comment on anything unless he is an authority on the subject? Are you an authority on Obamas competence? Should we tell you to go to hell with you opinions too? Lol!

20. Kang

Kang JF-Expert Member

Jan 30, 2009
    About what? Its a quote from Obama. Let me highlight the important parts for you.

"I'm a Christian, and I believe in parents being able to provide children with religious instruction without interference from the state. But I also believe our schools are there to teach worldly knowledge and science. I believe in evolution, and I believe there's a difference between science and faith. That doesn't make faith any less important than science. It just means they're two different things. And I think it's a mistake to try to cloud the teaching of science with theories that frankly don't hold up to scientific inquiry."

What he means by that last part is that schools should not teach Intelligent Design aka Creationism and stick to Evolution.

P.S: Its Friday guys! Have a nice one!