Wikileaks revelations put govt in corner

Rungu

JF-Expert Member
Feb 23, 2007
Wikileaks revelations put govt in corner
By Judica Tarimo
5th January 2011

ATCL reports not submitted for public scrutiny - Zitto

As government prepares response on the Wikileaks revelations of corruption allegations in the Air Tanzania Company Limited jetliner purchase deal, it has been learnt that the public firm never submitted reports to the parliamentary watchdog committee during the time.

Zitto Kabwe, former chairman of a parliamentary committee overseeing public organizations accounts, expressing ignorance of the purchase details, said although Air Tanzania was a public firm, its audited reports had not been submitted to the responsible parliamentary committee for the last five years.

According to the Kigoma North MP, the parliamentary committee could not access its audited reports because of certain factors -one being that the national flag carrier was restructured in 2006 and later on, a special task force appointed to shape its operations.
"Because of these factors, the parliamentary committee on public institutions did not manage to get audited reports of ATCL operations," said Kabwe.

"On that basis, I cannot make any comment regarding suspected corrupt dealings in the processes of purchasing of the said aircraft by Air Tanzania as revealed by Wikileaks. I cannot do that from a parliamentary perspective; I cannot do that from personal perceptive, because of I was not aware of these dealings," noted Kabwe.

"I am still following up these unfolding issues and will comment later on," he added.
"If an MP like me is not aware of this latest ATCL scam, ordinary people cannot understand anything," he said.

Transport minister Omari Nundu, complaining of a flurry of calls from journalists, promised to provide official government stance regarding corruption allegations that surrounded the multi-billion deal for the purchaseof ten airplanes for Air Tanzania (ATCL) four years ago.

"That's too much for me. Since morning, I have been receiving calls from journalists on this issue," I have many pressing issues; I have not gone through Wikileaks revelations on the issue. But I will give the official government position today (yesterday) or tomorrow (today) after reading the reports," said Nundu.

The Wikileaks revealed diplomatic dispatches from the US Embassy complaining of favouritism and suspicion of corruption in the manner Air Tanzania Company Limited (ATCL) went about shopping for jetliners for its ageing fleet, four years ago.

According to the cables carried in the New York Times of Sunday, January 2 this year, the US Embassy in Dar es Salaam fighting for Boeing then said: "As Air Tanzania shops for new airplanes for its ageing fleet, we remain troubled by separate press reports, quoting Air Tanzania leadership and most recently the Minister of Infrastructure that a decision has been made in favour of Airbus."

Doreen Kapwani, Public Relations Officer of the Prevention and Combating of Corruption Bureau (PCCB) said: "I cannot comment on it because I am on leave."

Former ATCL managing director, David Mattaka, who as the CEO of ATCL then was one of the key figures involved in the purchase deals, was on Monday quoted by local media as dismissing Wikileaks reports. "….I don't think I have made such suggestions to anyone and in any case, it doesn't make sense to me," said Mattaka.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN

Kuna funzo hapa

1. Hata bunge letu halina taarifa za baadhi ya mambo yanayofanywa na serikali

2. Msingi mkuu wa wikileaks NI KUDHIHILISHA KINACHOFICHWA NA WATAWALA kwa mgongo wa wananchi. Hilo wamefanikiwa ndiyo maana wenzetu wengi hutoa majibu ya kutokuwa na la kusema

3. Kwetu sisi Tanzania sasa ni dhahiri kuwa utawala wetu ni wa genge fulani lenye maslahi yao binafsi na si ya nchi. Hapa ni wazi kuwa mfumo mzima wakupata watawala (si viongozi) ulishabinafsishwa siku nyingi. Ushahidi ni kuwa kashfa nyingi zimejikita na kuzungukia zungukia kwa Rais hasa huyu wa sasa wa NEC.

4. Kitu kinachokera ni kule wananchi kukatishwa tamaa na jitihada za kujinasua na upuuzi huu. Hapa nina maana ya jitihada za maendeleo zinazohitaji mwongozo wa serikali ni kama zimewekwa pembeni kabisa.

5. Serikali haipo kwenye kona kwa sababu haipo kwa vile haioni jukumu lake ni nini wala haijali. Labda useme wahusika wanajisikia kizunguzungu kwa mambo yao kufichuka.

Nini way forward NI MVUTANO HADI KAMBA IKATIKE

Back
Top Bottom