Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Why Ugandan MP Kajeke quit Parliament

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ByaseL, Jul 15, 2009.

1. B

ByaseL JF-Expert Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Monitor
    Kampala

Mbale Municipality MP Wilfred Kajeke resigned his parliamentary seat yesterday, dealing a body blow to opposition Forum for Democratic Party and sparking off celebrations among the ruling NRM.

Mr Kajeke wrote to the Speaker of Parliament, Mr Edward Ssekandi, on Monday, indicating his intention to resign his seat on December 20, this year.

Speaking before the House yesterday, Mr Kajeke said: “I have done everything possible to fight corruption in my constituency; what else can I do? In my opinion, there are only two options: either to join the system and fully participate in the looting or say enough is enough. I have chosen the latter and I am leaving. Sometimes in life you have to take certain hard decisions and take full personal responsibility.

“I have this mandate to stop this reckless and irresponsible mortgaging of our country and I cannot do it, then there is no reason whatsoever for me to continue being in this House.”
    Mr Ssekandi had earlier acknowledged the MP’s resignation with effect from December 20.

“You have been a very hard working MP and we shall greatly miss you,” the Speaker wrote in acknowledgement of Mr Kajeke’s resignation. “However, since you have confirmed to me that you personally made the decision after giving consideration to all relevant issues and there is no pressure on you to resign, I have no alternative but to accept your resignation from Parliament as indicated in your letter.”

However, Deputy Speaker Rebecca Kadaga, who presided over yesterday’s session, said Mr Kajeke had ceased to be a MP with immediate effect. “We cannot be taken for a ride,” Ms Kadaga told MP Kajeke before the House yesterday. “The Speaker allowed you to resign and he called on Monday that I should allow you to make a statement; I don’t understand what you’re saying; you cannot extend your resignation and you are no longer an MP and you should leave Parliament.”

Mr Kajeke, however, said: “The Deputy Speaker was not privy to the letter from the Speaker because he allowed me to officially leave Parliament on December 20. As far as I am concerned, I was only giving a notice to resign and I will continue coming to Parliament until further notice.” Deputy Attorney General Freddie Ruhindi told this newspaper he needed time to consult before giving a legal opinion on Mr Kajeke’s status.

2. PakaJimmy

PakaJimmy JF-Expert Member

Jul 15, 2009
    The dictatorship and corruption nature of these African leaders is the main cause!
    Kama waziri anaonekana haendani na matakwa ya kifisadi ya system lazima afanyiwe zengwe atoke.