Why I’d vote for Edward Lowassa 2015!

FOEL

Jan 19, 2012
WHATEVER detractors, denigrators and dissidents might say to the contrary, Edward Lowassa is a Man for all Seasons. He is also a man for decisions, no matter whether his decisions are right ? and, therefore, beneficial ? or wrong and, most likely, nugatory!

That was why I had no qualms headlining this Devil's Advocacy as I did: that I would vote for the man if he stood for elective Office in beleaguered Tanzania today, tomorrow or in 2014/15, God the Almighty willing!

I like to believe that I'm a man of my own, and I've never shied away from telling it like it is ? and painting it in Hi-Fi, ‘warts and all' ? US President Roosevelt pardon!

This Advocacy has been prompted by 'front-page' reports in several mass media organs in Tanzania from June 25, 2011 onwards. Initially, it was reported that Lowassa – MP for the Monduli Constituency in Maasailand – had finally lifted his voice in the august House since he resigned the Premiership on Feb. 8, 2008!

In the event, he also pointed a finger at the incumbent State leadership, bluntly accusing it of failing to make coherent, comprehensive and final decisions on matters of national import. How true!

As far as I know, the latest such decision was when the top leadership acquiesced to the US-based Symbion Power firm switching on the gas-fired power plant it purchased from disgraced Dowans Holdings and supplying sorely-needed electricity to the national grid.

What a magnanimous decision which, on the face of it, runs counter to rent-seeking decision-makers who've been bleeding Tanzanians dry via dubious ‘emergency Power Purchase Agreements (ePPAs) since the 1990s!

If and when the Govt. and some of its wishy-washy organs make final decisions one way or another regarding economic sabotage ranging from public procurement activities (presidential jetliner, BAe radar system and ePPAs to (central) Bank of Tanzania EPAs (External Payment Arrears accounts), then Lowassa's accusations could, would, have been superfluous and uncalled for.

In the event, the accusations are neither – although his detractors descended upon him as Brutus and his bunch fell on Caesar on the 'Night of the Long Knives!'

Reportedly, Lowassa resigned the Premiership to take (vicarious?) responsibility for a dubious ePPA entered into by the State utility monopoly Tanzania Electricity Supply Company, Tanesco, and a dubious American (?) company, Richmond Development.

‘Tanesco,' did I say? More likely, it's ‘Tanzania Electricity Rationing Company, 'TaneRco.' It currently spends more time, energy (!) and other resources implementing electricity rationing schedules, not supply programmes – stoutly defended in that by the 'Two Williams,' Ngeleja and Mhando!

But, that's a tale for another day…

Surprisingly, the real 'culprits' behind most of the rampant u-Fisadi in Tanzania – including the EPA looters – are yet to be brought to account. Perhaps the wishy-washiest decision was when the Kikwete Govt. apparently let off the hook (and out of the net) 'thieves' who surreptitiously 'returned' the loot. Why? I ask you!

The answer is, of course, the singular lack of accountability among our top leadership. In fact, even the country's Number One graft 'czar,' PCCB, declared the Richmond deal above-board, not underhand, under the table!

If the deal was that clean, why did Lowassa ? and two other senior Govt. ministers, Ibrahim Msabaha and Nazir Karamagi ? resign virtually on their own volition? No one condemned Lowassa in so many words… not even the Harrison Mwakyembe Parliamentary Committee which probed the Richmond ePPA scandal.

If the man was indeed involved, why did the Committee not summon and interrogate him, thus according him his natural and judicial right to be heard? Why?

President Kikwete did accept the resignations with equanimity at the time. I did pen my views in ‘The EastAfrican' twice (March and April 2008), in which I called upon the relevant authorities (President Kikwete included) to make a tough decision, appointing Lowassa ‘Special Investigator & Prosecutor' against ma-Fisadi and economic saboteurs in particular, and organized crime in general.

Basically, a Special Prosecutor is appointed from outside Govt. to investigate senior officials for misconduct while in Public Office.

Needless to say, no one made such a tough decision. Instead, the incidence of such criminality has relentlessly been growing by leaps and bounds during the the 9th and 10th Republics… All this for lack of tough decisions!

Lowassa's past record may not be all roses and wine. Apparently, the man tried to sell Tanzanians a pig in a poke, brandishing the ‘snake oil' that artificial rain is, reportedly 'made' by Malaysian sangomas.

My fear of anything ‘Malaysian' is founded in the notorious known Independent Power Tanzania Ltd ePPA which has been haunting us for more than a decade.

But, Lowassa also did make some heavenly decisions in Govt. As a mere minister, he initiated a Tsh85.1bn (US$85.1m at the time) project to draw the so-called 'Nile Waters' from Lake Victoria in Feb. 2004. Although this was in direct contravention of two extant colonial-era treaties Britain signed with Egypt and Sudan controlling use of the Nile waters, Tanzania eventually got away with that bold decision! [The EastAfrican, . 9, 2004].

Ditto Lowassa's abrogation on May 24, 2005 of the BiWater International 10-year, US$140m contract because BiWater failed to fulfill its contractual obligations. Dar was eventually awarded more than ?3m from BiWater ? compliments of Lowassa's prowess! [<guardian.co.uk>Jan.11, 2008].

These are only two examples of what Lowassa did as a mere minister. Imagine what he could, would, do as a Special Prosecutor, given the right circumstances.

The holder of a BA degree in Theatre Arts (UDsm) and a Masters in Development Studies (Bath) ? coupled with his vast experience in Govt. ? Lowassa's better qualified than most to pursue errant public officials... Or act presidential!

Tanzanians have nothing to lose by recruiting Lowassa ? and much by leaving him footloose and fancy-free!

If ? God forbid and forgive me ? Lowassa was/is the Devil incarnate, then he's the right Devil to work with&#8230; Better the Devil you know, sages have said down History and Herstory&#8230;!

In other words, if worse comes to the worst, then give me a bold, forthright decision-maker any time of the day ? and all night long! Cheers!

Written by KARL LYIMO

My Take:

Kazi ni kwako come 2015!

He may only become the CCM's presidential candidate, not the president at all!

I think lowasa is a good leader regardless dirty issues facing many leaders in our country. Me too i support this man because as we are tanzanian we need the person like him so as he can drive our country foward and not backward as we are moving today!

Hapa huwa nachanganyikiwa kabisa, haya wakuu tusubiri 2015 kwa sasa tunachangamoto nyingi, watu bado tuko jangwani mabondeni tunakamua maji magodoro.

Hapa huwa nachanganyikiwa kabisa, haya wakuu tusubiri 2015 kwa sasa tunachangamoto nyingi, watu bado tuko jangwani mabondeni tunakamua maji magodoro.

Sidhani kama hapa JF ni juikwaa la Kampeni, acha ujuha Ndg kama hujui kusoma alama za nyakati omba msaada kwa waliokutangulia kwa umri na Elimu. Kwa Mungu hakuna kulazimisha wewe na wengine mnajaribu hivyo! Mungu pekee atatoa Kiongozi kwa Taifa lake TZ na watu wake na huenda ukawa wewe ama mzazi wako na huyo mnayemtajataja akawa hayupo HAPA wala KOKOTE. Kwa sasa cha kusema...

January kuna utambuzi wa Ghost workers,je umehakikisha jina lko limo kwenye payroll ya Lowassa as kazi ufanyayo inahitaji overtime.(lowassa anafaaa bt punguzeni kampen mtawatisha wa Tz as hata best yake mlitumia style hii hii).

Vote for kikwete 2015 katiba itakapobadilishwa urais ni vipindi vitatu na CCM hatuna sera ya kushindana na aliyeko madarakani kama mwaka 2010 so subirini hadi 2020!

Aende akawe rais wa Bhoko Haram tena ukouko NIGERIA.. nakama kumpa kula umpe wewe coz ushanunuliwa mtotot wa kiume unamapenzi mpaka kwa....... Absolutely we need a leader like LOWASSA but not LOWASSA....this guy can never be cleaned up ata aende Nigeria mara 700 is still dirty guy what if he becomes a prezdaa maamuzi yake ambayo unamsifia kua ni magumu ata yakiwa productless we umo unalaana? au na nyie mnaomsifia Lowassa, NYERERE aliwalaani km yeye kwa tabia zake....

Huyu bwana ana mitandao ambayo kiuhariasia ni mibaya sana na km akiwa prezdaa huyu nchi itapasuka kwa magonvi yasiokwisha kwenye mitando yao...HAFAI....kamwambie for the time beang he best fit to be a fundraiser kwenye makanisa ila ata huko karibia atachuja...

Eti waziri mkuu mstaafu km sio ifisadi mwingine huu ni nini coz anahudumiwa kwa kodi za watanzania so he fights his best to a prezdaa ili na uko akapewe mafao bure till he dies ya uwaziri mkuu aliejiuzuru + na ya urais=Concentreted UFISADI

Joshua kawahakikishia?

Mwanamke kutumiwa na mwanamme ni mbaya sana.
Ila mwanamme kutumiwa na mwanamme mwenzake ni laana yake na kizazi chake. Kwa hiyo kabla hujatumiwa ng'a hiyo kitu unaidhalilisha.

All will be made to account for their mischievous way of life.
Of all who have indicated their interest for the top job, Lowassa is the most wicked of them all and he will never become my "president"!

Mod naomba uwimovezishi hii thread kwenye udaku jokes its true me lowasa ni rais mafisadi wamempendekeza

Back
Top Bottom