Who will win FIFA World Player of the Year?

Belo

JF-Expert Member
Jun 11, 2007
Cristiano Ronaldo is the favourite of five candidates to walk away with the FIFA World Player of the Year award on Monday.

Manchester United winger Ronaldo, who has already picked up the FIFPro and Ballon d'Or awards this season, has been chosen along with Fernando Torres, Lionel Messi, Xavi Hernandez and current holder Kaka.

The closest challenger appears to be Barcelona's Messi, who despite an average season with his club last season has been on blistering form since winning gold at the Beijing Olympics, helping Barca storm to a 10-point lead at the top of the Primera Liga before the winter break.

Spain duo Xavi and Torres feature after playing key roles in their country's success at Euro 2008, while Kaka is among the candidates again despite a under par season last year with AC Milan.

The award will be made at FIFA's world player gala in Zurich, the first time the award has been held in January.

It is also the first time five finalists have been chosen as opposed to three.

Each national team manager and player is given a vote for their player of the year from a shortlist released by FIFA.

I'll be very suprised if it wont be Ronaldo.

Naam hakuna mwingine zaidi ya Ronaldo, lakini mwaka huu kiwango chake cha kusakata kandanda kimeshuka ukilinganisha na mwaka jana. Labda kuanzia leo ataanza kuonyesha vitu vyake.

Nafikiri pamoja na kaka kuwa mchezaji mzuri sidhani kama kipindi hiki alistahili
kuwepo kwenye list ukilinganisha na vijana ambao wametajwa.

Ronaldo so far is the best among the list, akifuatiwa na Torres na hao wengine
sasa ntashangaa sana kama asiposhinda hiyo award.

FIFA poll inaonesha
Messi ana 48.89%
Ronaldo ana 33.75%
Kaka ana 9.8%
Torres ana 5.29%
Xavi ana 2.59%
Kutokana na hii poll inaonesha Messi anaongoza. Let's wait who will be. To me, I think Messi deserves it, ukilinganisha na Ronaldo hasahsa kipindi hiki (2008/2009).

Nafikiri pamoja na kaka kuwa mchezaji mzuri sidhani kama kipindi hiki alistahili
kuwepo kwenye list ukilinganisha na vijana ambao wametajwa.

QUOTE]

Mkubwa miaka ya nyuma walikuwa wanaweka washiriki 3 but kuanzia mwaka huu wanashindanishwa 5 ndio maana KAKA yupop

Ronaldo collects Fifa world title

Cristiano Ronaldo has been named the Fifa World Player of the Year for 2008.

The Portugal and Manchester United midfielder becomes the first Premier League player to win the award.

Ronaldo, 23, beat AC Milan's Kaka, Liverpool's Fernando Torres and Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Xavi to the prestigious title.

"It's an overwhelming moment in my career and I'd like to dedicate this award to my family, friends and colleagues," said the winger.

Ronaldo's 42 goals for Manchester United last season helped the Old Trafford club to the Premier League and Champions League double.

The Portugal international, who also picked up the European Player of the Year crown in December and the FifPro World Footballer of the Year honour in October, paid special tribute to United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

"It's also true that the manager always has an important role to play. It was a great season for me and for my club, and the coach was important for me because I learned a lot for him.

"His experience over so many years is of paramount importance - it's a privilege to have such a great club manager.

"This is the climax of a fantastic era for me. I'm happy and proud about what has been done by my team and what we have won.

"I am lucky to be part of the history of a club like Manchester United."

The coaches and captains of 155 national teams took part in the voting for the award with Messi finishing second ahead of Torres, Kaka and Xavi.

Ronaldo's triumph sees him become only the second Portuguese player to pick up the Fifa title, following Luis Figo who won the award in 2001.

Meanwhile, Brazil forward Marta collected her third successive women's award.

"This is an amazing achievement for me," said the 22-year-old.

"This game has given me so many great moments of joy. This award is fantastic and I'd like to thank you all very much."

England and Arsenal Ladies striker Kelly Smith was one of the five nominees for the title.

BBC sports ( and I watched the presentation ceremony on eaurosports!!)

MANCHESTER United's Cristiano Ronaldo was tonight crowned FIFA World Player of the Year.

The Portugal winger beat Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Liverpool's Fernando Torres to become the first Premier League player to win the prestigious honour at a star-studded gala in Zurich.

It caps a stunning year for the 23-year-old in which he played the starring role as United won the Premier League, Champions League and Club World Cup.

His 31 league goals in the 2008-09 season, and 42 in total, won him the European Golden Shoe as the continent's top scorer.

He was also awarded the Ballon d'Or by France Football magazine, and named FIFPro's player of the year.

Premier League players have finished as runner-up before - David Beckham and Thierry Henry both did so twice while Frank Lampard also came second two years ago - but Ronaldo becomes the first to take the top prize.

Ronaldo dedicated the award to his family but also paid tribute to influence of United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

He said: “It's a dream come true for me to get this award and I would like to dedicate this to my family.

“But it's also true that the manager always has an important role to play. It was a great season for me and for my club, and the coach was important for me because I learned a lot for him.

“His experience over so many years is of paramount importance - it's a privilege to have such a great club manager.

“This is the climax of a fantastic era for me. I'm happy and proud about what has been done by my team and what we have won.

“I am lucky to to be part of the history of a club like Manchester United.”

Ronaldo, who received the award from Pele, added: “It is an overwhelming moment and a very special moment in my life and I would like to say to my mother and sister that the fireworks can be set off now.

“I'm extremely happy, it's one of the most important moments in my life and I hope I can come back.”

The awards are voted for by the head coaches and captains of all countries.

Tuzo za kijana last season

1.Barclays Golden Boot: 2007–08
2.Barclays Merit Award: 2007–08
3.European Golden Shoe: 2007–08
4.UEFA Club Forward of the Year: 2007–08
5.UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 2007–08
6.FIFPro World Player of the Year: 2007–08
7.Ballon d'Or: 2008
8.FIFA World Player of the Year: 2008

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom