Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Who has more to eat? Well Not Tanzania!!

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by HellFire20, Apr 18, 2009.

1. H

HellFire20 Senior Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Uganda’s population explosion a time bomb - new report

Allan Ssekamatte

Uganda’s rapid population growth is putting significant pressure on the country’s food, water and energy resources, a report has revealed.

According to the State of East Africa 2008 report sanctioned by the Society of International Development (SID), the region’s rich natural resources are to take a severe strain as more ordinary people aspire for prosperity.

The study under the theme Nature Under Pressure, covers Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi – the five countries that form the East African Community bloc.
    It also warns about the devastating effects of climate change.

According to the report, Ugandans are the East Africans who got to bed with the fullest stomachs, but the availability of food could be behind the country’s astronomical population growth.

An average Ugandan consumes 2,380Kcalories per day, while Burundians consume the least at 1,600Kcalories. Kenyans (2,150), Rwandans (2,070) and Tanzanians (1,960) follow in that order.

The SID report projects that East Africa’s population, which currently stands at 125 million, will meanwhile reach 190 million in 2030.

However, the biggest increase will come from Uganda, because the national population growth rate of 3.2 percent per annum is the highest in the world.

The information officer at the Population Secretariat, Mr Hannington Burunde says Uganda’s population, which currently stands at 31m, will reach a staggering 130 million in 2050.

He blames the rate on a high fertility rate as each woman produces an average of seven children during her lifetime.
    “This population growth rate is unsustainable because it is not producing a quality population. It requires an economic growth rate of 10 per cent per annum to sustain such growth, which the country is not achieving,” Mr Burunde said.

He added, “We are sensitising people to learn the meaning of having a planned family and want policy makers to teach their people manageable family sizes.”

Mr Burunde said government is counting on the UPE programme to bring down the fertility rate as girls stay longer in school, but he repeated President Museveni’s oft-mentioned remarks that a big population is not a problem, if it is well educated and involved in the productive process.

His figures are corroborated by the Population Reference Bureau, a Washington DC, USA based research and advocacy group which says such growth rates will entrap the country in poverty and instability.

Indeed the SID report states that as a result of the population growth, the number of malnourished East Africans increased by 8.8 million between 1990 and 2003.

“Tanzania recorded a 73 per cent increase in hungry people and accounted for 42 per cent of hungry East Africans, up from 34 per cent a decade earlier. Kenya Uganda and Rwanda all reduced their share of hungry people in East Africa,” the report states.

Dwindling Nile Perch

Significantly, the report states that Ugandan children may not enjoy the famous Nile Perch due to the dwindling species and its demand in foreign markets which make it expensive.

It says the volume of Nile Perch harvested from Lake Victoria dwindled by 60 per cent between 1999 and 2008, from 1.2 million tons to 500,000 tonnes.

“Nile Perch is being replaced by the much smaller species of dagaa which increased in volume by 123 per cent from 476,000 tonnes to over one million tonnes during the same period.

Two main reasons account for this, according to the report. It forwards the factors of over-fishing and the use of illegal fishing gear as the main contributors to the trend.

Between 2004 and 2008, the number of fishermen also increased by 30 per cent from 155,066 to 199,242 further straining the resource.

“The number of monofilament nets (the most destructive fishing nets) increased by almost 10 times in two years; from 2,293 in 2006 to 20,194 in 2008,” the report adds.
    Official government figures reveal that fish stocks in the lake fell from 1.9 million tonnes in 1999 to 370,000 currently.

Uganda’s export earnings from fish meanwhile fell by $60 million or Shs120b last year, according to Minister of Fisheries Fred Mukisa, who said that 30 factories have already closed while those operating are doing so at 40 per cent capacity.

Tanzania’s EAC hesitation

Tanzania is the country with the largest amount of resources in the region. It has the biggest land mass, 45 percent of the region’s renewable water, and the most energy potential.

Tanzania has the potential to generate 53,750GWh per year, which is 30 per cent more commercial energy that the rest of East Africa combined (see graph on power generation).
    Tanzania’s population growth rate of 2 per cent, is also the lowest in the region.

This could explain the country’s refusal earlier this week to ratify a protocol that would allow citizens of member states to access land in any part of the Community, reside permanently in any country of their choice and move freely using National Identification Cards.

Forests and climate change

The report warns that unless Ugandans stop cutting trees, there will be a significant negative impact from climate change. It says 26.2 million hectares of trees were cut down between 1990 and 2005 in East Africa, with Rwanda the only country to have increased its forest cover during this period.

Tanzania accounts for 90 per cent of the deforestation in East Africa and its share of the region’s forested land dropped sharply from 58 per cent to 47 per cent in the 15 years to 2005. Over the same period, Uganda’s forest cover fell from 4.9 million hectares to 3.6 million, an annual depletion rate of 2 per cent.

Due to climate change, temperatures are rising at 0.5 per cent per decade, leading to a higher incidence of tropical diseases like malaria, decline in production of long cycle crops, suffocation of fish species and phenomena like El Nino.

“Climate change impacts have the potential to undermine and even to undo progress made in improving the well-being of East Africans,” the report states.

“Areas like the southwest in Kabale, which had been cold, are losing 0.3 degree Celsius off their minimum temperature every 10 years,” Mr Paul Isabirye, a principal government meteorologist said recently.

“These places did not have mosquitoes but now malaria is becoming rampant.” The coordinator of the Climate Unit at the Ministry of Water and Environment, Mr Phillip Gwage, said the Teso floods of 2007 typify the negative effects of climate change. The floods resulted in an upsurge in waterborne diseases and breakdown of livelihoods as roads were cut off

I know i am not supposed to gloat over this...But i just cant help it,contrary to what every big mouthed gooks have been saying is that despite some people having all the resources their people eat less...and keep pointing fingers to others about how hungry they are kumbe kwao wamezidi na bado wanaendelea kuongezeka unfortunately media zenu cant bring the issue up so the government decides to sweep it under the carpet..hahhahah..
  2. M

MzalendoHalisi JF-Expert Member

Apr 18, 2009
    EA region is still very poor in many indicators!
  3. Steve Dii

Steve Dii JF-Expert Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Ahsante sana Hellfire!

Kama sababu ni chakula, wameitenganisha vipi kutoka kwenye ongezeko (au stability ya mortality) la watu kutokana na kupungua kwa vifo vinavyosababishwa na ugonjwa wa Ukimwi na kupungua kwa uambukizaji hivyo watu kuwa na confidence zaidi katika kujamiiana na hivyo kuzaliana?
  4. A

Alpha JF-Expert Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Thats Tanzania for you, loads of potential but continuely let down by poor leadership.

It's a sad story that does not seem to be coming to an end anytime soon. These same people who have been in power for more than 40 years and have done nothing are still there trying to blame everybody but themselves for the sad state of affairs.
  5. Lole Gwakisa

Lole Gwakisa JF-Expert Member

Apr 21, 2009
    moto wa Jehanamu, you must learn to understand the logic behund these well authored pamphlets from smart kids from often the developed world, who sit in their nice cool airconditioned offices in Nairobi or Dar es salaam and Kampala for that matter.
    These reports are often doctored to meet the tastes of the funding agent so that more "aid" is brought into the countries.
    Hell fire, I thought you were intelligent enought not to fall into trap of the sterio type of news that are often making the wrong headlines in the western press.
    I would not be surprised if you have not travelled anywhere beyond 40km out of Nairobi.
    It is sad, you will belive anything thats in print from those whom you consider superior to yourself.
    In short I dont buy your crap!
  6. B

Bad Seed Member

Apr 22, 2009
    You cant buy researched facts, you calling it crap just because your perfect nation has been negatively mentioned? I fear for your feauture as a nation.
  7. Mwana wa Mungu

Mwana wa Mungu JF-Expert Member

Apr 22, 2009
    you have famine and at the same time you are arguing with people who have prety to eat. r u sorber?
  8. H

HellFire20 Senior Member

Apr 22, 2009
    How do you know that it has been doctored unless you want to tell me you have been party to the process which would put you under the lens for aiding and abetting or conspiracy to fraud a crime that is.

Secondly if its too unpalatable for you why question its authenticity.I know its hard to swallow but you have got to consume it as it comes.

On the issue of my intelligence and Nairobi and how far away i have traveled ,lets just say i will be stooping too low to even respond to give a response.
  9. Lole Gwakisa

Apr 22, 2009
    Dont just stand there and stoop to low , go ahead and answer the querry , mister.
  10. Lole Gwakisa

Apr 22, 2009
    Baddy seed, it takes an intelligent mind to figure aout that sometimes facts and figure can be concocted to support a lie.This has been done though the ages.
    If I am hungry there is no doubt about it then that will be a fact when proven,to enlighten your mind there is no hunger or lack of food in Tanzania to the extent mentioned in your "research" by the muzungu you so adore.
    In actual fact it is the other way round, hunger has made a home in our northen brothers territory.
  11. Bluray

Bluray JF-Expert Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Can this focus on the quality rather than the quantity of the calories?

It is quite conceivable that a person can intake more calories (empty calories, non nutritious calories) and not benefit as much as another person who will take less calories but of the right kind.
  12. Lole Gwakisa

Apr 22, 2009
    Quite right Bluray,but think of all those guys in the north who have nothing to eat ,thus no calories to talk about.
    The fact is , these "researched" papers you are talikg about have no meaning when even Pres Kibaki has openly declared that there is a serious lack of basic food in Kenya to the extent of starvation in some areas.
    When you eat milk . butter and oats in Nairobi, think of your somali half brothers up north of kenya.
    And that is basically where we differ with you guys.
    Your full bellies in Nairobi is not the common scenario up to the corners of your land.
    That you eat more calories as you sit warming your chairs pounding away at you key boards does not give you the audacity of bragging in public as to the extent of your culinary satisfaction.
  13. Nyaralego

Nyaralego JF-Expert Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Can this debates that are alway pitting Kenya Vs. Uganda Vs. Tanzania stop already!!!
    After all that name calling and mud slinging...People in Turkana are still marginalized, Bado kuna njaa and the heavy rains are still going to ruin crops our, governments are still corrupt...
    It is the common man who suffers while we are mouthing off in these forums. If each stroke on the keyboard would generate even a shilling, people in this forum and other forums would be very rich.

How does poking fun, laughing at, Or gloating over someone elses misfortunes make your own better? Head in the sand like an ostrich yeah.

Instead of having useful conversations ni matusi tu. from all corners.
    "You kenyan are this bad thing...Ohh the Tanzianians are that other bad thing, Ugandans are every other bad thing...Stuff like wajinga, wapumbavu, illiterate, nyangau OMG the list is endless"
    How have they helped any one?
    Come on guys this forum used to be appealling. Now its like a verbal fight club...hurling abuse at each other in the cover of cyber space.

We can shout in here but the problems are not solved.
    All these research papers with all this statistics about any country are abundant on the web...any one can access them and draw their own conclusion.

Solutions! solutions! solutions!
    That's what we need, find ways of helping ourselves since the governments cannot be bothered and are busy being corrupt.
    It always starts with one individuals single act.

If one's situation improves or becomes better it rubs off on those around them, thus creating a domino effect.

I will repeat this again as i have written in other threads that concern Africa and East Africa, especially the creation of EAC.
    EAC will not happen...So for anyone holding their breadth, please now is the time to exhale!!

With this kind of mistrust? Insecurity, porous borders, corruption, increased thuggery and every conceivable evil under the sun?

Each country must clean house first before trying this EAC.

That is my take...I'm sure i will rub some inciters and hardcore pessimists here the wrong way, but such is life you cannot please anyone.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  14. Ab-Titchaz

Ab-Titchaz Content Manager Staff Member

Apr 23, 2009

I can't help but admire your soberness.I wanted to say something about this
    thread from day one lakini nikaona aliyeanzisha anamadhumuni yake binafsi.
    So I stayed put.All in all you have said what I wanted to say,sasa subiri
    wakusulubu msalabani.