What's 'intellectual masturbation'?

Magobe T

JF-Expert Member
Mar 19, 2008
My lecturer of philosophy used to tell plagiarists that what they were doing was intellectual masturbation.

From that, I have coined this definition: any conscious abuse of intellect or rationality through repetitive silly or nonsensical arguments can be called 'intellectual masturbation'. What is your opinion?

My lecturer of philosophy used to tell plagiarists that what they were doing was intellectual masturbation.

From that, I have coined this definition: any conscious abuse of intellect or rationality through repetitive silly or nonsensical arguments can be called 'intellectual masturbation'. What is your opinion?

What is the point of you having to "coin" a so-called definition of a phrase that apparently already has a clear-cut and universally accepted meaning? I mean, if what you just did doesn't qualify as "intellectual masturbation" itself, then I don't know what it is!

"any conscious abuse of intellect" to wit, inter-alia, willingly, knowingly and consciously.

What is the point of you having to "coin" a so-called definition of a phrase that apparently already has a clear-cut and universally accepted meaning? I mean, if what you just did doesn't qualify as "intellectual masturbation" itself, then I don't know what it is!

Thanks for your comments. I have been thinking of using it to comment on some politicians' silly statements but I've been each time refraining from doing so on grounds that people could think I'm insulting them.

If JF accepts it, then we can start calling a spade, a spade!

We live by reference, we do by reference so to speak all are plagiarists. You can not shit through your mouth and eat through your ass. We have a universally accepted way of living. What we study to make as intellectuals is a copied ideology so plagiarism must well be analysed before meant in fully. We talk cause everyone is saying and actual plagiarists do not have meaning but way of reminding our intellectuals.

Back
Top Bottom