Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

What is the Job Description of a Minister?

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by Kiwi, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Kiwi

Kiwi JF-Expert Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Is there a job description of a government minister in Tanzania? Is a minister a political figure, a technocrat, an administrator or just a figure head (symbolic position)? Is it necessary for a minister to be an expert in the field or not? If he/she is an expert in the specific field, what is the need to have deputies such as deputy ministers, directors, commissioners etc? If he/she is not an expert in the specific field, how well versed must he/she be in the area so that he/she can be able to use the experts in the field? I am asking this because in the past we had Prof Sarungi, a surgeon, transfered from Ministry of Health to Ministry of Defence. If a Minister does not need to be an expert in his/her field, that may be okay. But how much does a professional surgeon rely on his deputies in his everyday work as a Minister of Defence. On the other hand, if the Minister must be an expert in his/her field, how on earth can a professional surgeon head the Ministry of Defence. I have not really had time to go through the current cabinet so this maybe does not reflect the new cabinet, but it is something that I have been thinking about and maybe some jf members can help shed some light.
  2. jennyfd

jennyfd Member

Nov 11, 2011
    A strange question!
  3. M

Mbopo JF-Expert Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Where in the world have you found a job description for a minister? Don't waste our time with your juvinile propositions.
  4. Kakati

Kakati Senior Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Part of of the solution to your question (or may be additional confusion to you) is to not restrict the question to a minister but also to ask the same questions for the case of the President.