Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

We the people are to blame, selfishness hinder development

Discussion in 'Habari na Hoja mchanganyiko' started by TingTing, Sep 12, 2010.

1. TingTing

TingTing Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Time has come for us all to be at the forefront in achieving national development. This earth we are living is just a temporary home and once we are gone that’s it and no favors will be extended in any way to the families and our children we live behind. We have to create good environment for our future children, we have to think of our children, our future leaders every time we are making major decisions. Greediness will not take us there rather hard work, determination, will and passion. I feel hurt every time I see a child lacking basic needs, a mother wondering what to do and how far to walk to seek medical help. I am glad and I feel happy every time I give people some basic stuff or donate certain things to organizations or children’s homes. We can elevate as many quick clinics or dispensaries as we can in every district or ward if we all can come together without any discrimination and massively and whole-heartedly support the cause.

Personally, I like seeing every other child attend school up to year 12 but I also understand that this may not be possible in the current Tanzanian structure and system. I would not mind seeing us erect simple sports complexes or centers in each District where those not able to attend school can be able to participate in sports while attending technical colleges or vocational schools. I would love to see people’s strengths are utilized to the maximum by placing them in areas where they are strong enough to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of work output. These complexes can be built without Government intervention. This creates opportunities for those who want to take sports as a professional career in their later years. We have to create the environment; we have to provide options as well due to shortage of facilities as we try to develop Tanzania.

I have seen so many seminars going on in the country but we are yet to hear which one bore positive fruits and have benefited the targeted audience. We need to change or strategies and delivery and lay focus on the real action. I understand many will disagree with me that you can not offer someone funds to start a business without having him/her attend a seminar or training. Yes, I agree and while this may be true, I feel there should be an on-going training as work goes on since we have several classes of people here; those who are good theoretically, those who are good on the field, those who are good on papers (academically) and those who are good practically. While others consider metrics as a way to check individual’s strengths, I disagree in totality due to the fact that those assessment metrics have not put into consideration some other personal factors to measure ability. The Private sector should cultivate a culture of offering opportunity to young people be giving them as many chances as they can to work with them and mentored them into becoming effective leaders. Students should be given more opportunities such that they learn in class and by doing actual work; this shouldn’t be field work or internship alone rather a culture which allows any student on holiday at any time. We will be amazed by how good these people are once we accord them these opportunities. As person who is eager for the success, I will combine both classes to get a very great team that is very productive. It is a challenge to the private sector businesses to light the candle of leadership as we turn our country into an effective and efficient society.

It has not been a surprise to me to see or hear selfishness practiced by businesses on the private sector in our country. If a fellow Tanzanian wants to invest on something I think we should be happy and support that person to the very end. Let us not discourage the person rather direct him/her to places where s/he can get professional help and advice for the business to succeed. Since we want to enjoy the market ourselves then we end up suppressing the new business yet the existing one can not satisfy the entire market. An example is Chinese or people of Scandinavia countries or even USA, this people can recommend you where to go for what you want and this has made Chinese the other superpower it is today. Their success lies entirely on their honest, discipline, cooperation among each other and positive attitudes. Our country can prosper and be strong in the region if we cooperate among us and support each other since my success is your success and the country’s economy get boosted. Tanzania now needs to cultivate another culture of partnerships and franchising as the way to go. Sell your brand name to as many people as you can and assess their performance; should you not be happy with them then break with them. The idea here is to minimize costs by outsourcing and this will create more jobs hence increase purchasing power. The government should also amend rules or allow not only public institutions only but even major private companies to raise funds through IPOs (Initial Public Offers) to be able to expand and reach a wider customer base. The case of current Tanzania is due to the fact that people are selfish, our leaders are selfish so are companies hence unable to prosper well as a country.

In the mid 1980’s I attended Upanga Primary School (UPS) and one thing for sure that will always be part of me is the leadership of “Mama Mahundi”, the then headmistress of Upanga Primary School. She was very simple yet focused, strict, fair in Judgment and disciplined mother, wife and “mwalimu” who was very passionate about her work. She was always on time and to be honest, I don’t recall if there was any day she missed coming to school for personal reasons unless I didn’t noticed. At times I thought maybe it was because her husband, then IGP was the factor behind her wife simplicity and dedication towards his work but then I realized Mama Mahundi was among those early mothers who knew the real value of education and were dedicated for the course of all children who passed at UPS. I learnt a lot from her leadership ad today is when I see what she was standing for in those days. I thank Mama Mahundi and her team for preparing me to be where I am today; I am very proud and lucky one to be under her helm. I thank Mwalimu Mama Bwombengi for her never ending support and extra tutorials she gave me on certain subjects. God Bless you Mwalimu Mahundi, God Bless the entire team. It was during these primary school years that I was taught to take financial responsibilities as well as other responsibilities. I thank my Mother for daring to trust us at a very tender age by giving us school fees to go pay to school in the form of “UPE” and “DONATION”. She also gave us school pocket money for the entire week. It was at that stage that I learnt a lot and how to balance the little I have. She had faith in me and I gave back by being honest. God Bless you Mum for such a daring move.

The massive flow of IPO’s will ensure major companies perform and provide maximum value from shareholders investment. IPO’s should be issued to each and every Tanzanian who is able and/or interested in acquiring stake in that particular firm. This will increase purchasing power of the citizen if IPO were issued. Our neighbors Kenya have issued this severally and I recalled when KENGEN was offering the same back them and many students rush to buy shares since the minimum was set at between KES 5,000 and 10,000. To some extent we will have by a very small margin ensure financial sustainability of our people as long as the company provides great and unique services to its customers. One thing that I fail to understand is the fact that why can’t our banks expand regionally and I am very much afraid if they really know the challenges ahead of them. The current system may be protecting local banks by all costs but that can’t be guaranteed considering regimes changes. I may be proud to travel to Kenya, Uganda or Rwanda and bank or withdraw cash from our home banks in regions but that has never been possible. We see banks like KCB and Equity Bank going regional and I predict neighbor’s banks will prosper well in Tanzania and ours will either be bailed out or sold since one can’t compete if limited only to local market.

Last time while I was on my way from school to home, which is close to 4-hours drive, I decided to listen to the Anti-Virus song by Mr. II. At first I thought it was a joke but then one person shared his experience with his band and then I recalled how one artiste from Lake Zone called Jitaman was brought down by radio stations because he couldn’t swing to their current. The message in that song sounds very true and I realized that for one to flourish in Tanzania then things have to be done in Kenya since the suppliers at home are already polluted, selfish and money-oriented. My response to the other person was, “why can’t you guys come together and have your own broadcasting station?” His response as well was, “it sounds easy but the TCRA rules and regulations are very discouraging and do not promote local investment in the field”. The guy may be true but again it is worth trying since starting a broadcasting station may not be as harder and expensive as one would think but since it is already in the attitude then I figured it out that it is c’est difficile. My final feedback was that it worth trying and that you can do this without soliciting cash from upcoming artistes and you can register your rights with COSOTA and other responsible instruments for all interested artistes such that their music can not be played by any other station other than yours. Supporting the enforcement closely will be the establishment of own agency to deal with rights of your artistes. Assume all other factors held constant.

It is us the citizen of Tanzania who are to blame for the failures to voluntarily educate the mass leaving us laying all blames on the government. If you decide to do something, do it with passion and dedication that was the principle behind the success of Mama Mahundi. This is a call to all and each one of us that has a part to play if we are to attain what others have achieved. Let us all be open and available to support and assist each other in all situations. Let us all encourage, educate and train our own people on businesses that can better their lives. I felt very happy when one of my colleagues at work, who’s a student nurse, told me she wanted to go to Tanzania to volunteer and her reason was that she wanted to serve the less fortunate community as she see nothing setting aside 4-hours a day to serve them. Let us all set some two to four hours a week voluntarily so we can dedicate our time to the less fortunate in Tanzania. We can not continue to be beggars in our own countries. This can country can prosper if we all play our part, if we all help others with passion. I am happy to be living in a very peaceful country but I would be sad if we don’t safeguard ourselves and go the Kenyan way.

By: tommie
    tom182002@yahoo.com

2. pmwasyoke

pmwasyoke JF-Expert Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Ndefu - nimekwamia katikati.

3. B

Baija Bolobi JF-Expert Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Yeah, selfishness is the stumbling block. Can you try to highlight the talking points for the easier discussion in the forum?

4. Kiranga

Kiranga JF-Expert Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Wewe unaongelea IPO wakati majority ya watu wanaishi kwa budget ya a dollar a day.

No savings no investment.

Acheni ndoto zenu za ku-copy paste kutoka "The Economist" na Smithsonian utopia.

5. TingTing

TingTing Member

Sep 12, 2010
    While everyone's comments are valued but we have to look at the other side of the coin. First you need to analyze how many people are employed in private sector and how many people are capable and willing to buy IPOs. No one is copying anyone. Somethings can be done if we have positive attitudes. Yours here is a CAN'T do it mind already and it has already been fixed that way. No one said that IPOs should be bought by each and every citizen of Tanzania rather any citizen who has the financial capacity to do so. We also have a class of people who take loans to fund such activities, it is not about the number rather about how many of us can we do that. One time during my undergraduate studies we used to tell instructors that certain assignments are hard and can't be completed on time and you know what the Marketing Instructor replied? It is all in the mind, set a negative attitude toward something and your down. Always be positive about everything. I don't blame you, I blame the already set negative attitude.

6. TingTing

TingTing Member

Sep 13, 2010

Swali rahisi tu; watu wangapi Tanzania wanapenda kujirusha tena hata kwa kugharamika? Je, watu hawa hela wanatoa wapi na huwa wanajirusha mara ngapi kwa wiki, mwezi au mwaka? Jiulize ni watu wangapi huwa wanatoa hongo mbali na kujirusha hili mambo yao yaende vizuri? Fanya hiyo hesabu kisha jiulize tumeshindwa kuweka hiyo hela mahala ambapo itakusaidia hapo baadaye. Mimi naamini kabisa uwezo tunao na Tanzania sio masikini kama jinsi watu wanavyotangaza kuwa ni masikini bali ni masikini kutokana na structure jinsi ilivyo na ufahamu mdogo wa mambo mbalimbali.

Kuna kitu pia inaitwa equity fund ambapo mtu unaweza wekeza hapo kwa kipindi fulani na ukawa unafanyia kuongezea tu ili rejeo lizidi kupanda. Pia jiulize wakati vyama vya siasa vinakwambiak uwa elimu itakuwa bure hadi kidato cha nne, Je, katika kuchanganua kwako umegundua hela hiyo itatokea wapi au ni kitu ambacho hakiwezekani? Ni taratibu tu za Tanzania na jinsi mambo yanavyofanywa na viongozi wetu ambao wengi wanakuwaga wamechaguliwa kutokana na ufahamu mdogo wa wananchi wengi. Mbali na taratibu mbovu za serikali ya sasa pia ni kutokuwa na ujasiri na uelewa.

7. Kiranga

Kiranga JF-Expert Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Watu wanaojirusha ni wachache wa mijini tu, wengi hata wakiota kujirusha hawana uwezo. Watu wanakula mizizi pori na kuhemea maembe mabichi wewe unawaambia wachukue hela za kujirusha wawekeze katika IPO. Let them eat cake style.

Kwa hiyo wewe unaona swala la elimu bora kwa wote mpaka kidato cha nne ni jambo la maana siyo?

8. TingTing

TingTing Member

Sep 13, 2010

Elimu hapa si vidato bali ni maarifa. uelewa na ufahamu. Na pia basic foundation siyo elimu ya msingi tu bali ni elimu yenye jumla ya miaka 12 ya masomo kuanzia ngazi ya chini hadi kidato cha nne, ni vizuri mtu akawa nayo hiyo kwanza kwani inaweza mfanya kufanya chochote kile bila kumkwamisha. Hiyo ni moja ya option nilizotoa ambapo nyingine ilikuwa ni kuweka sport centers pamoja na technical au vocational schools kwa ajili ya wale ambao labda hawakupata nafasi ya kwenda shule au wana sababu zao za kutoingia shule. Elimu ni shule tu bwana Kiranga, kuna watu hawana elimu lakini wanafanya vitu vizuri tu Tanzania na wana nafasi kubwa kubwa tu katika makampuni hapo nchini. Ujasiri wao na moyo wa kujifunza zaidi kupitia workshops na seminar ndio zinawasaidia katika utendaji kazi zao. Pia sijasema watu lazima wanunue IPO bali kwa yule mwenye kupenda au kutaka afanye hivyo ila hadi serikali kupitia vyombo vyake virekebishe baadhi ya sheria ya kuwekeza kwa njia zote kuwanufaisha wananchi wake. ndio maana hata shule ingawaji ni lazima watoto kwenda lakini si wazazi wote wenye uwezo hivyo wengine kubaki mtaani. Jiulize hao wa mijini wako wangapi kuanzia miji yote Tanzania ambayo iko active! Idadi hiyo ni nyingi sana maana hata ukipata watu elfu 20 au 50 wakifanya hivyo basi wengine watafuata tu wakija kuona wenzao wako sawa. Kwa hiyo ni vyema ukawa unaangalia pande zote ili uweze kutoa ushauri ulio-balance Kiranga.