Wasomi: the great deception

Capital

JF-Expert Member
Oct 12, 2010
Wasomi: the great deception

Ladies and gentlemen, I have been thinking so much as to why this nation has been poor and will remain so for many decades if not centuries ahead. In the course of analysis, I have come along an idea, a role played by the elites, so-called wasomi of this nation. I accept that their contribution to national prosperity cannot be belittled. The wasomi, unlike non-wasomi, are the business executives, corporate chairmen/women, politicians, army generals, scientists, the intelligentsia, attorneys, engineers, planners and many more. These others are peasants, men and women, who struggle to bring food on the table, petty traders and casual laborers who run a hand-to-mouth lifestyle, having no power to decide, influence or lobby for, anything that directly or indirectly, affect their lives and their very existence. Besides, these two groups have been very instrumental in moving the country’s development. However, the wasomi group has had much enough to be desired regarding the economic impasse this country is going through. The recklessness and hypocrisy the wasomi have exhibited in this country cannot be swept under the carpet and forgotten. It is too big to go unquestioned. This article casts some light on few avenues where this group has let our country down.

Was it not the mother of hypocrisy when the 'Wasomi' conceded to the World Bank’s advice that government of Tanzania should not have had owned businesses? They planned for a quick disposal on a whole-sale basis of public businesses, banks, corporations and other assets, at throw away prices, thinking that was a panacea of all woes. They forgot that the consultants’ governments owned businesses, multinationals and even estates. For example the British government then owned the British Airways (BA), British Telecom (BT) and the British Petroleum (BP) all of which were later floated for public acquisition carefully and scientifically, keeping British interests at heart. It is as if our wasomi were sedated! They put Tanzania in the beggars list; I wonder how begging can become a national business. What hypocrisy is this?

Is it not a dreadful deceit, for the Wasomi of this nation who have been educated at the expense of majority, ‘the others’ to fail to generate enough electricity for the country, to have plans to produce enough food for the nation, to provide equitable education for fellow Tanzanians in return, despite the vast rivers, solar and gas, the magnificent arable land and abundance of soft-hearted citizens? What a shame, Tanzanians is still languishing in abject poverty, even 50 years down the road of independence? Of particular interest here is the state of education the Tanzanian children are receiving through the infamous shule za kata. The truth is most of children who attend to these schools come from poverty stricken families who in fact cannot afford Saint- someone school fees and numerous other contributions. To the contrary, wasomis’ children attend high caliber schools, with fancy amenities like swimming pools. The difference is clear as to who is most likely to make it to the University education. Therefore, the wasomi are instituting discriminatory education system where their children will continue to have an upper hand or leverage over others, who continue to end up being frustrated by shule za kata.

Are the wasomi not disgraceful before the nation and God Almighty for their involvement in conspiracy, sabotage and annihilation of national fortunes and treasures due to greed, dishonesty and lack of patriotism? Were Tanzanian peasants, petty traders and casual labourers involved in striking dubious deals for Buzwagi, Geita and Nyamongo gold mines to mention but a few? What about the Richmond/ Dowans saga? Were they not the wasomi who sat somewhere in London or Huston, TX., with aliens, where a peasant or a petty trader or a casual laborer has never dreamt of being, to negotiate the deal? Don’t we know that it is these others (whom make the majority Tanzanias) who have become victims of this scandalous greed by the wasomi? People are starving, very sick and hopeless, at most frustrated, just because the wasomi have decided not to act because a msomi is not allowed to ask another about anything, period. They call it collective responsibility.

Thinking about these and so many issues related to lack of seriousness among the wasomi rises very serious questions about whose interest do these wasomi serve. Perhaps they may be pretending to serve the national interests, which they have failed already. That’s ok. But can we take some time to ask ourselves, what has happened really? For some who were present few years after independence through seventies when Tanzania had very few wasomi can tell the difference between now and then. Can’t you?
Should we say, what the wasomi got from classes was not ‘education’? But rather a brainwash, to make them fools? Have the classes changed for the best? Don't we see that more fools could be coming given the schooling systems that we are having contains too many colonial vestiges? One of the elements in colonial education is the stereotype that, a msomi is far superior than the ‘others’ (who are not wasomi though) and a msomi should talk, dress, eat and live like colonialists. As of now, for example, self proclaimed wasomi cannot speak a straight Swahili sentence without having an English word or two in between! As they strive and desire to live like colonialists - to eat better, dress better and drive better, (but with less work anyway) these wasomi have turned out to be looters, embezzlers, squanderers and thieves. Their greed has completely masked their common sense and patriotism and as a result, we are seeing the not-seen-before, the Richmonds, Dowans, Kagodas, Songas, and so much more. What a shame?
Some people might have asked themselves as to whether this situation is reversible or not. Think about the situation where everyone is above the law, ujanja kuwahi kind of lifestyle. Now that the wasomi are the law makers, the police and the jury, who the mouse can tie a bell on the cat’s neck? Good enough, it is the wasomi who can turn this situation around. Wasomi have got to agree unanimously now, that Tanzania has a yet another chance, to be a better place, for us all, for now and so many decades ahead, only when their common sense and conscience are not corrupted by greed, arrogance and ego. To have this one in a short term, wasomi of the day have to change their perception and paradigms through which they see the reality. Thereafter, we will need to start changes, painful changes of course, where we can have not only education system changed, but the entire national governance system. We should finally have an education which teaches patriotism, National culture and core values, and good science for our development, unlike the mediocre education that we are witnessing today. The wasomi can once again become a national blessing, it is not too late, play your part.
CAPITAL

Capital,

You are a Msomi. The wording should have been 'we have let this country down'.

All the same, it is a powerful article for one with the patience, energy and the brain to read and grasp your message.

Now here we go again, the Wasomi will let you down, we will let our country down. We will not read your article. We will pretend like we do not have the time to read such a long and tiring article. Your message will hardly receive above 30 posts or replies. Just keep a tag of how many will reply. If you get enough votes to win an election (i.e. 1/3 of the number of viewers to reply) then you will be achieving your goal i.e to initiate change!

Let us wait and see Capital. Whatever the outcome we should not despair.

Article kama hizi ndio zinaonyesha picha yetu halisi.Tunajua kwa nini tuko katika hali hii.Tunatakiwa tuchukue solution za kimapinduzi na sio kutoa matamko kwenye vyombo vya habari na kulalamika kwenye keyboard.Wasomi na wasio wasomi tuandamane mpaka kieleweke

I just stepped in to check, and here we are, only three have had the energy to say something, and as am typing only one member (i.e me) who is browsing the thread together with 5 guests.

Will see again tomorrow Capital.

But, you seem to have abandoned your thread. I expected you would engage in a discussion after posting.

I just stepped in to check, and here we are, only three have had the energy to say something, and as am typing only one member (i.e me) who is browsing the thread together with 5 guests.

Will see again tomorrow Capital.

But, you seem to have abandoned your thread. I expected you would engage in a discussion after posting.

Jamii yetu ya Tanzania wawe ni wasomi au wasiosoma maandishi si means yetu ya communication. Ukitaka wakusome wewe weka in form of drammer au mziki au picha basi utapata ushirikiano wa 100%. Ungeweka kwenye michuzi blog kama taarifa muhimu kwa umma basi asilimia ya wasomaji ingeongezeka zaidi; tuna penda sana edu-entertaining issues zaidi so usitulaumu laumu makuzi yetu.

I was in late years working for one int. NGO and the CD (country director) alituuliza kibao cha mtaa wetu kiko wapi nakimeandikwaje nobdy could say exactly what he wanted....Basi akatuasa tusitumie vibao ku raise awereness kusoma si culture yetu...Ndiyo maana Haki elimu wamefanikiwa sana maana hawaandiki vijarida.....

By the way hivi kwanini viongozi wa nchi za nje wanapokuja wanapokewa uwanjani na wacheza ngoma; hivi wakwetu wakienda nje ya nchi hasa europe huwa wanapokewa na vikundi vya ngoma? Nauliza tu labda jamani usikute ndo maana we are never serious maana kwetu kila wakati ni sherehe tu hakuna muda mtu atakaa serious kimya siku nzima anajaribu kupanga maisha atayaendeshaje..

Capital,

You are a Msomi. The wording should have been 'we have let this country down'.

All the same, it is a powerful article for one with the patience, energy and the brain to read and grasp your message.

Now here we go again, the Wasomi will let you down, we will let our country down. We will not read your article. We will pretend like we do not have the time to read such a long and tiring article. Your message will hardly receive above 30 posts or replies. Just keep a tag of how many will reply. If you get enough votes to win an election (i.e. 1/3 of the number of viewers to reply) then you will be achieving your goal i.e to initiate change!

Let us wait and see Capital. Whatever the outcome we should not despair.

Albert, surely I will comment but I have something urget to action now and once am done will definetely read line by line.

thanks for your encouragement. I am awake don't worry. We can see how daunting it is to make the changes we need. Nice dreams guys

Albert, surely I will comment but I have something urget to action now and once am done will definetely read line by line.

That will be great, at least you have perfomed one of the nobliest duties, you have read and taken an interest.

Seriously, this country the problem is not 'education'. Those who are educated do less to help this country grow. We do much to see it stagnate or get more poor!

We are not helpful. We remain very selfish and only think about ourselves. The rare moments we pretend to be thinking about the masses are when we think about us for the masses!!!

thanks for your encouragement. I am awake don't worry. We can see how daunting it is to make the changes we need. Nice dreams guys

But the changes will come, even if we dont 'make' them they will do. It is natural! Only that it may take longer than anticipated.

We just had an election late last year and the mere fact that we turned our backs on change and instead opted for status quo, explains a lot about our lack of seriousness when stakes get high. With all the goings on since 2005 when we misdirected ourselves into voting into Office a joker, who would have imagined that we would make the same mistake five years later. The sad part is that we did and now hardly six months later we are lamenting and trying to find out what went wrong and who to blame for the blunder we ourselves made.

Like cowards that we are, instead of taking action to correct our blunder we are all crying wolf and like zombies groping for some superman to come to our rescue and wake us up. Fellow poor Tanzanians, we dont even know that only we have the power to determine and shape our destiny and that all it takes is a decision to do something. The bottom line is we are cowards and as with cowards the world over, we like hiding in the dark for fear of taking the evil bull by the horns and so letting it trample on our rights at will.

The question therefore is what do we expect when it is obvious that the hyenas are getting more emboldened each day by our impotence to act. The the recent visit by one claiming to be the Dowans mastermind is a living example of their nerve, and as expected, there wasnt even an iota of protest against him, the cheeky bastard ! It is as if as a country we have lost out sovereignty to a bunch of thugs and international crooks who can come and go, plunder our wealth and screw us to high heaven from whatever position they decide.

This is now past political affiliation and it has gone past racial, religious or tribal tolerance, no, it is now about our basic rights as Tanzanians and our survival as a nation - it is time to say no, not with mere words but action. If we dont wake up with all the turmoil that is sprouting all around us and act, then we are not fit to live for existence should be with a purpose to making life better. I am sorry wananchi, we dont have a shortcut and there is no panacea for the evil that comsumes us but to root it out first and foremost.

I call for all Tanzanians, especially so called Wasomi to come out of the slumber and together we rescue our beloved country from these hoodlums. It is either we act and survive as proud and brave Tanzanians or we sit back on our fat as..es and perish as shameless cowards. As I have always said history is on our side and if the past is anything to go by, there is no bullet or tank that can stand in the way of peoples power. We should be encouraged by events unfolding in the media that time for despotic governments the world over is up. We have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

By the way hivi kwanini viongozi wa nchi za nje wanapokuja wanapokewa uwanjani na wacheza ngoma; hivi wakwetu wakienda nje ya nchi hasa europe huwa wanapokewa na vikundi vya ngoma? Nauliza tu labda jamani usikute ndo maana we are never serious maana kwetu kila wakati ni sherehe tu hakuna muda mtu atakaa serious kimya siku nzima anajaribu kupanga maisha atayaendeshaje..

Swali zuri.
KWA KWELI TUNAHITAJI KUBADILIKA KIFIKRA.
Wote wasomi kwa wasiosoma tunahitajika kuisukuma nchi, KIPAUMBELE KIKIWA KUKUZA MAADILI. mara nyingi tuwepesi kulaumu wengine lakini hatupo tayari kujikosoa. NA ZAIDI YA HAPO NI WAOGA (INCLUDING MYSELF) KUKOSOA HADHARANI KWANI TUWABINAFSI KWETU WENYEWE. Huu ndio UGONJWA UNAODIDIMIZA TANZANIA. WAJASIRI BADO HAWAJATOKEA

Kama una maana ya CCM kuitwa "wasomi" sawa. Lakini mimi naona wasomi na wasiosoma ambao ndio viongozi ndani ya CCM kua hao ndio wameiteka nchi kwa nguvu na fikra na wanajifanyia wapendachao kwa faida yao wenyewe na ndio maana tupo tulipo. Uongozi wa CCM walishindwa kuendesha mashirika ya umma si kwa usomi wao bali ubinafsi pia na siasa zao mbaya zinazoendekeza uzembe na kutowajibika. Walivyozembea hata wazo tu la kuyauza hayo mashirika ya umma ilibidi waambiwe na IMF/WB.

CCM wametujengea na shule za kata ili kututeka zaidi kimawazo wakijafanya wanatujali. Lakini nani asiyejua kua hao wasomi vijana wachache waliobahatika kusoma chini ya CCM wala hua hawana sauti ndani ya CCM yao. Kama ndani ya CCM huna sauti usitegee kuleta mapinduzi TZ iliyo chini ya CCM. Chini utawala wa CCM, kwa mfano mkuu wa wilaya ama mkoa, ambao naamini ni wasomi, hata hawana msaada wowote kwa raia zaidi ya kusimamia miradi ama maelekezo yatokayo serikali kuu. Hawako karibu na raia, ila wapo karibu na serikali kuu - mkuu wa mkoa ama wilaya anafaa ama hafai raia hawana chaguo na haiwahusu. Kinadharia wapo pale kufanya yatakayomwendeleza raia wa kawaida, sasa kama maendeleo hayapo baada ya miaka 50 ya uhuru, majibu yapo wazi ni kwa nini.

Mpendwa Capital, 2015 usiipigie kura tena CCM. Hata Egypt, Libya kuna wasomi. Sasa kama nchi imetekwa na mabinafsi wachache, usomi ni vigumu kufanya kazi.

You are barking up the wrong tree. The problem is not wasomi; it is CCM. Look at our neighbours in Kenya and Uganda. Their wasomi are just like us, but those countries are doing just fine. You see, they are not governed by a den of vipers like we are.

Isn’t Dr. Slaa a msomi per excellence? Hasn’t he bandied together with Mnyika, Mbowe, Lisu, Kabwe and other wasomis to do something about what ills us? Was he not given the votes of almost all wasomi? Our wasomi meant to rid the nation of the root cause of its real problem, which is CCM. Who thwarted their move? Was it wasomi?

Ndugu yangu Capital,

Awali ni muhimu kujua maana ya "msomi" ili iwe msingi wa kuwachambua na kujua kama tupo kwenye sahani moja.
Huwa inanipa tabu kupima msomi ni mtu gani, ana sifa zipi,
Je ni yule mwenye vyeti vingi?
Je ni yule mwenye kuandika na kuongea kiingereza kigumu?
Je ni yule mwenye kelele nyingi katika jamii kuzidi wenzake?
Je ni yule aliyeishi ughaibuni muda mrefu?
Nk nk

Kwangu mimi "msomi" ni yule mwenye uwezo wa kuyatambua matatizo yake, ya jamii yake, ya jamii zinazomzunguka,
Na kuyatafutia ufumbuzi wa muda na wa kudumu,
Na kuhakikisha matatizo hayo yanatatuliwa kwa muda muafaka.
Hizo ndio miongoni mwa sifa za "msomi" wangu

Sasa sijui kama tupo kwenye sahani moja

Nashukuru kwa uchambuzi wako mwanana. Mwenyekiti wa CCM, makam wake isipokuwa katibu mkuu, wana shahada angalau moja ya chuo kikuu. lakini bwana, hawa ni watu wa ajabu sana nchi hii imewahi kuwa nao. Wanazidiwa na mzee wangu aliyeko village. Nilishamuhoji katibu wa CCM wa wilaya moja kuelekea uchaguzi mkuu, kuhusu masuala kadha wa kadha kuhusu mustakabali wa nchi. Nilishangaa jamaa hakujibu. Somo nililopata ni kuwa wakiwa kwenye vikao halali vya chama, hujadili jinsi ya kuwadhibiti watu ndani na nje ya chama wwenye mawazo ya 'uasi'. kwa mfano, kipindi chote cha uchaguzi CCM ilitumia muda mwingi sana kupanga namna ya kumzima Ndg Selelii na mh Sitta na wengine walioonesha kukerwa na hali ya nchi. Kama nilivyosema, uroho na ujinga mara zote hufifisha dhamira njema na uzalendo. naomba tuendelee kujadili.
Nawasilisha.
Capital

Ndugu yangu Capital,

Awali ni muhimu kujua maana ya "msomi" ili iwe msingi wa kuwachambua na kujua kama tupo kwenye sahani moja.
Nk nk

Kwangu mimi "msomi" ni yule mwenye uwezo wa kuyatambua matatizo yake, ya jamii yake, ya jamii zinazomzunguka,

Tupo pamoja mkuu. ndio maana nasema inwesekana elimu tunayopewa si elimu kitu, na kusudi tuwe na wasomi wa aina tunayotaka, lazima kufumua kila kitu. huko vyuoni inaonesha tunafundishana ujinga badala ya akili.

Asante

Capital

Ndugu yangu Capital,

Nk nk

Well said Milkyway..... It's like u were reading my mind......

In Tanzania we've a class of wasomi. The type of Benson Bana and Mukandala.... of course who are many... they would do anything to live under the crumbs of the politicians and so abuse their professionalism. They are thronged in all public offices, ranging from Universities, Ministries, Autonomous Agencies etc. They ain't wasomi... as they don't have that notion that dictates that wasomi should be at the forefront with revolutionary thinking.... What happens in Tanzania especially with this group, everybody ni shahidi.... Evidently, this group has powers in those institutions and normally, they use their power manoeuvre, swindle, deceive... (u call it), the public on their group's interests...... they're everywhere.........

But we again really, the likes of Shivji, General Ulimwengu, the lates, Haroub Othman, Chachage etc..... the contribution of these true sons of Tanzania are inestimable and beyond measurable.... the works of these true sons in RESEARCH is stupendous and outstanding. But tell you what...... group A has been dictating in policy formulation, implementation and have a total clout in all development aspects of this country.... they end up shelving the works, advices of group B of the likes of Shivji....

We have another group of wasomi, who are extinct. They are indecisive, swaying, etc.... Whatever, is done for them it's ok........ actually, they are helpless..... they don't have any impact to the development of this country..... the likes of Pinda, Dr. Mwinyi, Kawambwa Shukuru etc... wapo wapo.......

We wan't the likes of Shivji to engineer and take lead of the country.... but the question is how do we get rid of the two groups? The two groups are powerful, influential (remember 70% of Tanzanians are poor) etc...... But with this trend..... their days to an end are countable....

More anyone can add......

usomi haujengi uzalendo, nchi hii imekosa mwamko wa kizalendo, hata wale wachache wenye moyo wa uzalendo wanakatishwa sana tamaa na walioshika hatamu, tunahitaji wasomi wenye uzalendo kama milioni moja hivi ili kuleta chachu ya mabadiliko.

Ndugu yangu Capital,

Nk nk

Well said Milkyway..... It's like u were reading my mind......

In Tanzania we've classes of wasomi.

The type of Benson Bana and Mukandala.... of course who are many... they would do anything to live under the crumbs of the politicians and so abuse their professionalism. They are thronged in all public offices, ranging from Universities, Ministries, Autonomous Agencies etc. In fact, they ain't wasomi so to speak... as they don't have that notion that dictates that wasomi should be at the forefront with revolutionary thinking.... What happens in Tanzania especially with this group, everybody ni shahidi.... Evidently, this group has powers in those institutions and normally, they use their power manoeuvre, swindle, deceive... (u call it), the public on their group's interests...... they're everywhere.........

But we again really, the likes of Shivji, General Ulimwengu, the lates, Haroub Othman, Chachage etc..... the contribution of these true sons of Tanzania are inestimable and beyond measurable.... the works of these true sons in RESEARCH is stupendous and outstanding. But tell you what...... group A has been dictating in policy formulation, implementation and have a total clout in all development aspects of this country.... they end up shelving the works, advices of group B of the likes of Shivji.... After all decisions in Tanzania are always arrived lacking research back up...

We have another group of wasomi, who are extinct. They are indecisive, swaying, etc.... Whatever, is done for them it's ok........ actually, they are helpless..... they don't have any impact to the development of this country..... the likes of Pinda, Dr. Mwinyi, Kawambwa Shukuru etc... wapo wapo.......

We wan't the likes of Shivji to engineer and take lead of the country.... but the question is how do we get rid of the two groups? The two groups are powerful, influential (remember 70% of Tanzanians are poor) etc...... But with this trend..... their days to an end are countable....

More anyone can add......

Back
Top Bottom