Wakenya banaeeee!!!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Kenyan woman weds her US bride in same-sex union

les.jpg

CORRESPONDENT | NATION Terry Wakonyo Ng’endo, 24, and Courtney Nicole, 25 (left).

By ANTONY KARANJA in Dallas, Texas

Posted Wednesday, April 20 2011 at 20:06

A Kenyan woman has married her American bride in Des Moines, Iowa.

Terry Wakonyo Ng’endo, 24, and Courtney Nicole, 25, wedded in a same-sex civil union at the Polk County Courthouse last Friday.

The newly-weds held a reception on Saturday in Shawnee, Kansas, where they were joined by family and friends who included about 60 Kenyans.

The “groom” is originally from Nairobi.

The couple, both residents of Kansas, travelled to Iowa as Kansas does not recognize same-sex marriages.

Homosexual marriages in Iowa became legal on April 3, 2009. More than 80 per cent of such marriages are between couples from neighbouring states.

Ng’endo has lived an openly gay life in Kansas. Her friends describe her as a good friend to most Kenyans and someone who is proud of who she is.

“Ng’endo has lived among us and has been a very good friend. I think I speak on behalf of many Kenyans who know her in Kansas,” a woman, who did not want to be identified, said. “They are very nice people and if this is what they have chosen, we should respect them.”

Ng’endo’s bride says she has since changed her name to Courtney Ng’endo. She has two sons aged five and four. She spoke of the moment she met Ng’endo.

“I had a husband before and hence my two sons, but I was not comfortable in the relationship as I knew I was interested in girls,” Courtney said. “I was never able to come out in the open but the moment I met Ng’endo, I knew that this was my time to come out.”

According to Courtney, the couple has been dating for the last two years and was engaged in February.

Opened up

Courtney also added that “some gay Kenyans have opened up to Ng’endo and confided in her the fact that they are afraid of being openly gay for fear of hostility from fellow Kenyans”.

At the wedding reception, song and dance filled the room. A popular Kikuyu song Muthuri ta uyu…mwamwonire kuu? — Have you ever seen a good man such as this one? — underscored the theme of the wedding.

But for one Kenyan, the wedding was a sign that end of the world is nigh. “This is how you know the world is coming to an end. However tolerant I want to be, this is too much,” said Wanjira from Kansas City, Missouri.

The story came to light after Kenyans who claimed to be gay sent separate messages to a Kenyan website in US- Jambonewspot.com complaining that the story was being “ignored by conservative Kenyan websites in the US”.

“I heard of this female couple that got married last weekend in Kansas (it was actually in Iowa) but you guys never seem to cover anything related to gays. From what I have heard, there was very little hostility towards the Kenyan lady. Maybe Kenyans are finally coming of age considering this is in Kansas which is a Midwestern state,” read one e-mail from a reader calling himself/herself “Proud to be gay from CA” from Palo Alto, California.

In 2009, all the Kenyans websites in the US carried the story of a Kenyan man who wedded another man in London.

A survey conducted in 2010, showed that 44 per cent of the state residents supported same sex marriages, making it the only state that allowed same-sex marriages to record less that 50 per cent support.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research poll, 51 per cent of Americans now believe that same-sex marriages should receive legal recognition.

A similar poll by ABC/Washington Post showed a similar outcome.

Daily Nation:*- News*|Kenyan woman weds her US bride in same-sex union

some people need to get out of their backward African mentality. the two girls are in love with each other so people should let them do what lesbians do.

I say Noma... what do lesbians do? Wow indeed this is a first world. How convenient for the jungu chick she already has kids of her own.

some people need to get out of their backward African mentality. the two girls are in love with each other so people should let them do what lesbians do.

What is the meaning of 'backward African Mentality'? There is nothing wrong about somebody's mentality being 'backward' regardless of what they think or how they inteprate different cultures, traditions or opinions.

I sense a complex when people refer to African ways as backward as its a tendency to feel like the West has a more better culture than our own. Maybe you would have been better off saying "conservative ways"...it would have sufficed. Even in the so called Western World, there are folks who frown down on these unions...but I don't see them being refered to as "Backward African Mentality".

Over to you.

wakenya umagharibi unawagharimu. Vipi ile mijishoga iliyooana mwaka jana, ndoa yao bado inadumu?

mwezenu kashapata uraia wa USA mambo yake super baadaye atawarudia wabeba box

...According to a CNN/Opinion Research poll, 51 per cent of Americans now believe that same-sex marriages should receive legal recognition.

A similar poll by ABC/Washington Post showed a similar outcome.
Wakubali na hata Incest na Bestiality pia, washiishie kuwapendelea mashoga tu.

dunia karibu itafika mwisho! imagine kama wanaume waoane wao kwa wao na wanawake wao kwa wao, je kizaz kitapatikana hapa? lengo la Mungu kutuumba tuoane jinsia tofauti ili tuujaze ulimwengu litatimia? laana ya Mwenyeez Mungu iwashukie wote wanaoendekeza ushoga. eeh Mungu tunusuru na janga hili kwa vizazi vyetu. aamin

dunia karibu itafika mwisho! imagine kama wanaume waoane wao kwa wao na wanawake wao kwa wao, je kizaz kitapatikana hapa? lengo la Mungu kutuumba tuoane jinsia tofauti ili tuujaze ulimwengu litatimia? laana ya Mwenyeez Mungu iwashukie wote wanaoendekeza ushoga. eeh Mungu tunusuru na janga hili kwa vizazi vyetu. aamin

ulimwengu ushajaa wewe ndio maana wa jinsia moja wanaoana wao kwa wao,we unadhani mungu hana akili

What is the meaning of 'backward African Mentality'? There is nothing wrong about somebody's mentality being 'backward' regardless of what they think or how they inteprate different cultures, traditions or opinions.

I sense a complex when people refer to African ways as backward as its a tendency to feel like the West has a more better culture than our own. Maybe you would have been better off saying "conservative ways"...it would have sufficed. Even in the so called Western World, there are folks who frown down on these unions...but I don't see them being refered to as "Backward African Mentality".

Over to you.

goodluck with the conservative thing, I WILL CALL IT BACKWARDNESS. there are lesbians and gays all over our continent yet we(fellow Africans) deny them a chance to find happiness in marriage and a chance for them to live their lives because we are "conservative". that is not conservativeness that is backwardness.

"Backward African Mentality"? The type of thinking that goes into a gay who is wriggling his behind to get attention, thinking that its the right thing to do.
Pole sana nomasana, we nooooma!
If you also want to get married , move on-to europe and America, and dont look back.

Lazima wovu wawepo ili wema wajulikane! Usilaumu sana maana Shetani asingekuwepo tusingeujua wema wa Mungu. Mema hujulikana kutokana na mabaya. Hata darasani aliyefaulu hujulikana kutokana na aliyefeli, tusilaumu sana ni shetani anajitahidi kuitangaza Empire yake. Haya yakikoma yataibuka mabaya zaidi maana shetani bado yuko hai na anazidi kujitangaza ili apate wakumuunga mkono ktk adhabu yake.

Back
Top Bottom