Valentineless

Yona F. Maro

R I P
Nov 2, 2006
For the past 7 years i have had no Valentine, and so have not been celebrating valentines. At first i thought it was a big deal i could cry my eyes out and feel sorry for myself. Now am used to it and it does'nt seem to be a big deal anymore!

For those who have valentines, enjoy yourselves over this valentine, and for those who have not like me, dont think anyless of yourself, you can still enjoy alone. Have good time with friends or watch a movie or two, you will feel good.

Lovely Valentine!

By the way mie hata hayo ma valentina yenyewe sijui yametokea wapi. Mi wala hainikuni. watu wanajitafutia sherehe tu.

By the way mie hata hayo ma valentina yenyewe sijui yametokea wapi. Mi wala hainikuni. watu wanajitafutia sherehe tu.

Mkuu Shapu

Rejoice with others when they rejoice, and be sad with those in sorrow

Happy Valentine to all of JFs and their loved ones

Baba E

I hate all the hullaballoo of 14th Feb, love should flow all year through... hiyo ya siku moja tu wala hainijalishi, this valentine I am spending the day with my family huko kijijini... mambo ya maua na vijichocolate sijui dinner.... blahahahhaha ya watu wa mjini. what a gd way to spend with those who TRULY and those who will ALWAYS love you.

I hate all the hullaballoo of 14th Feb, love should flow all year through... hiyo ya siku moja tu wala hainijalishi, this valentine I am spending the day with my family huko kijijini... mambo ya maua na vijichocolate sijui dinner.... blahahahhaha ya watu wa mjini. what a gd way to spend with those who TRULY and those who will ALWAYS love you.

This day shouldnt give u pressure ati to prove there is someone who loves you.Its not just romantic love,nyone you love and who loves u like ur family is your valentine.Your first valentine is urself,be gud to urself,buy urself woteva u wudve xpected ur valentine to buy u.Love and cherish urself.There is nothing to cry about.Only after we genuinely and deeply love and appreciate ourselves can we attract people who genuinely love us.

Happy Valentines dear.Tuko wengi sana.Nivile tuu hatusemi.

VALENTINE'S DAY - SHORT STORY

February, 14 the world celebrates Valentine Day, whose origins are believed to be in the Italian capital, Rome.

Most women, especially in urban areas, will be dressed in red to grace the day as the tradition demands. Staff Writer Deogratias Mushi looks at the origin of this feast and its relevance.

Walking around different cities and towns today, most women will be putting on red attires.

They might be putting on red shoes, red dresses and even red scuffs.

After work hours in the evening, most restaurants, bars and disco halls will be filled with lovers.

Many people (especially in Africa) don’t know exactly the origin of this day, and why it is celebrated.

It is even sad that some associate the day with sexual affair, which is in fact not the fundamental meaning of the day.

Different writings show that Valentine day originated in Rome, the headquarters of the Catholic Church, and it slowly started spreading to other parts of the world.

The same feast Day started becoming popular in Tanzania less than ten years ago.

The Catholic Church recognizes three different saints named Valentine, who were martyred on February 14, and all date from very early in the church’s history.

One was a priest in Rome, another was the bishop of Interamna (modern-day Terni in Italy), and the third died in Africa.

The bishop of Interamna or a combination of the bishops inspired the holiday and some catholic priests based in Rome.

Those who have investigated on this Day say that some miraculous acts are attributed to St. Valentine.

One of the most popular legends about Valentine’s Day concerns marriage.

The encyclopedia of the Catholic Church explains that the reigning Roman emperor, Claudius, was recruiting soldiers to go to war, but many men didn’t wish to leave their wives or girlfriends, so the emperor outlawed new marriages.

Valentine defied him by secretly marrying couples, which earned Valentine a prison sentence and, ultimately, death.

A book with a title ’’Early Roman Saints’’ recounts Valentine’s stay in prison, during which he cured the jailer’s daughter of blindness.

He fell in love with the woman and sent her a final letter signed ”from your Valentine.’’

The same book says that is the reason why lovers call each other their ’’valentine.’’

As is the case with many Christian holidays, Valentine’s Day probably incorporates some pagan elements.

In ancient Rome, February 15 was the start of a major fertility festival called Lupercalia. This festival was dedicated in part to Juno, the patron goddess of women and marriage and during the celebration, boys drew girls’ names from an urn.

Sometimes, these pairings led to a wedding. When Christianity became the religion of the Roman Empire, the old pagan festivals were ended.

Many people continued to celebrate them, so the Church attempted to change the pagan elements. For Lupercalia, instead of drawing a future mate’s name, children drew the names of saints and were supposed to emulate them for the year.

The day of St. Valentine’s was conveniently close to the old festival day, thus the pagan celebration evolved into a Christian saint’s day. Around the year 498, Pope Gelasius (492-496)made it official by declaring February 14 St. Valentine’s Day.

Valentine’s Day traditions and stories grew popular over time, particularly in the Middle Ages. The chivalric idea of courtly love fit well with this holiday, and noblemen and women sent love notes and small gifts.

By the 17th century, many people in Europe celebrated the holiday. In the Victorian era, mass-produced Valentine’s day cards became available, and they’ve been a big hit with romantics ever since.
A question may be posed.

Isn’t it time we examine why we encourage our children to celebrate St. Valentine’s Day - when it is never mentioned in the Holy Books?

Today, young people unload tons of heart-shaped red boxes for February 14, while millions of the younger set are annually exchanging valentines. The day is however very profitable to some people, as they will make a lot of money today.

Among them are florists, especially those located in Dar es Salaam consider February 14 - St. Valentine’s Day - as one of their best business days.

Garment shops and some local tailors have also made some good money as people went during the weekend to buy their today’s outfits. Tonight, young lovers will go out for a dance or two - at St. Valentine’s balls.

But why all that? Where did these customs originate? Where do we find any such practices in the Holy Books? How did we come to inherit these customs?

The reflection of this day should make the world give it a deeper relevant meaning.

haya sisi wengine tunaodandia magari kwa "mbele" ndo tujiangalie uhalali wetu wa kusherehekea sikukuu isiyotuhusu........ kifupi ni bla bla tu na kwa sisi wabongo tunaishukuru hii sikukuu kwani imekuwa ni kilele cha ngono dunia badala ya maana halisi...... kweli ukimwi hautaisha maana tunauwekea hadi siku ya kilele cha kuambukizana.

Is it true that valentine's day "is nothing more than a commercial holiday created by rabid retailers who needed a major shopping day between Christmas and Easter in order to give people a reason to spend money"?

I for one, am not going to celebrate it.

For the past 7 years i have had no Valentine, and so have not been celebrating valentines. At first i thought it was a big deal i could cry my eyes out and feel sorry for myself. Now am used to it and it does'nt seem to be a big deal anymore!

For those who have valentines, enjoy yourselves over this valentine, and for those who have not like me, dont think anyless of yourself, you can still enjoy alone. Have good time with friends or watch a movie or two, you will feel good.

Lovely Valentine!

It's a day like any other. It has lost meaning , because of too much commercialization. Yaani if you are man, if you do not buy the roses and chocolate my! my! my! you are in trouble...you will never hear the end of it.

So love yourself first. Take care of yourself, Go buy yourself an expensive gift and dinner and be happy.
As for me I prefer to be appreciated every single day and not to wait till 14th of February every year to know my worth.
!!

Last edited:
Wakuu wana JF,leo ni 'siku ya wapendanao',katika siku hii nawaombea furaha yenu iongezeke kama bei ya Petroli,mashaka yenu yapungue kama kura za CCM 2010,Umaarufu wa JF uongezeke kama Orijino Komedi,Hekima zenu zizagae/zisambae kama bidhaa za kichina,uwepo wenu kila mahali uwe wa thamani kama kiungo cha Albino kinachotakiwa kulindwa(joke)....kwikwikwikwi....lol

Wana JF,

Kwa mawazo yangu mepesi, hii siku aina maana sana kwa kuwa kama mtu mnapendana na mliishapendana kuna haja gani ya kuwa na siku maalumu kwa ajili yenu. Si mnapendana tu? Kama kupendana kungekuwa kwa msimu, then hii siku ingekuwa ya maana sana.

Mimi nafikiri badala ya kuwa na siku ya wapendanao tuwe na "reconciliation day" siku ambayo itatumika kuwapatanisha waliogombana na kufarakana kwa sababu moja au ile nyingine. Hata waliofungua kesi mahakamani kuwashtaki wenzao basi wazifute hizo kesi na jamii iendelee kuishi kwa amani na kwa kupendana.

Lakini kuwa na siku ya kuwatukuza wanaopendana tayari, inapoteza maana na mwelekeo.

Tiba