Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Use one keyboard and mouse on multiple cross platform computers

Discussion in 'Tech, Gadgets & Science Forum' started by emanuel.feruzi, Dec 4, 2009.

1. emanuel.feruzi

emanuel.feruzi Senior Member

Dec 4, 2009
    [​IMG]
    synergy: [noun] a mutually advantageous conjunction of distinct elements

Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own display, without special hardware. Redirecting the mouse and keyboard is as simple as moving the mouse off the edge of your screen. Synergy also merges the clipboards of all the systems into one, allowing cut-and-paste between systems.

In this post I show you how to set up a basic Synergy server and clients in less than 10min

As usually comments and questions are welcome.

2. Freelancer

Freelancer JF-Expert Member

Dec 4, 2009
    I have one question about that technology? Does it mean when I switch my interface from one pc to another pc I can still access my storage devices such as a flash disk in the same pc am sitting or iam required to move those devices to the pc that I have switched to remotelly. May be I haven't understood.

3. LazyDog

LazyDog JF-Expert Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Maybe ingefaa badala ya "May be"?

4. Jile79

Jile79 JF-Expert Member

Dec 4, 2009
    my laptop is sick.........are u a phone physician.........help me pls

5. Freelancer

Dec 4, 2009
    mzee i was typing kutuka kwenye simu. meseji si imefika. tukianza kuangalia mambo ya grammar tunakosea sababu sio mahali pake. Sikuwa naandika any article so i dont care much about the grammar sijui umenisoma.

6. emanuel.feruzi

Dec 5, 2009
    @FreeLancer

Say you have two physical computer at home and you want to share the same keyboad and mouse across the two computers, this is what Synergy allows you to do.

In a typical situation if you have two computers (and assuming you want to do GUI tasks) you will have to have two of the basic peripherals, that is a mouse, keyboard and monitor. But now we want to get rid of one mouse and keyboard so that all we are left with is two computers, two monitors and one mouse and one keyboard used on both computers and this is Synergy attemps to do.

If you have a flash disk plugged on computer A it will be accessed when you are on computer A and all that devices that are on computer B can be accessed when you are on computer B. The only resource shared is the mouse and the keyboard.

Look at this clip and see if it clear it out [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjLX_0zOZb8&feature=related"]Synergy Usage [/ame]

7. emanuel.feruzi

Dec 5, 2009
    @FreeLancer

Say you have two physical computer at home and you want to share the same keyboad and mouse across the two computers, this is what Synergy allows you to do.

In a typical situation if you have two computers (and assuming you want to do GUI tasks) you will have to have two of the basic peripherals, that is a mouse, keyboard and monitor. But now we want to get rid of one mouse and keyboard so that all we are left with is two computers, two monitors and one mouse and one keyboard used on both computers and this is Synergy attemps to do.

If you have a flash disk plugged on computer A it will be accessed when you are on computer A and all that devices that are on computer B can be accessed when you are on computer B. The only resource shared is the mouse and the keyboard.

Look at this clip and see if it clear it out [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjLX_0zOZb8&feature=related"]Synergy Usage [/ame]

8. Freelancer

Dec 5, 2009
    ok nimekusoma. my main concern was Human computer interaction issues associated with that technology. Labda watakuja kuimprove ambapo itakuwa possible kufanya kila kitu ukiwa umekaa kwenye pc moja. hiyo process ya mtu kuinuka kwenda kwenye pc nyingine labda kuweka cd au flash disk ili aweze kuiacces inaweza ikafanya technology isiwe accepted kama movement zitakuwa nyingi. ni hayo tu.

9. emanuel.feruzi

Dec 5, 2009
    I am not sure if there is single solutions to that, googling is a good place to start. But if we have a single machine acting as a network computer and its devices can be mounted from other computer then your idea can be archived. I have shared a CD-ROM between other machines using ssh-mounts and the same can apply to all others.

Is is possible for you to give more details and may be with a diagram of exactly layout and how you want the devices and computer to be shared.

We can work together and see how we can make that a possibility.