US OPEN at Meadows Stadium

senator

JF-Expert Member
Aug 9, 2007
Kwa wadau wa Tennis..Mambo ndio yanaelekea Ukingoni Huko kwenye US Open bado matop seed wanasumbua kupunguzana ili kijogoo apatikane on sunday 7-9-2008.
Mpaka sasa Nadal amesonga mbele Semi finals na wanakutana na Kipenzi cha waingereza(Andy Murray ) ambacho kimefika semi final ya Big Slam kwa mara ya kwanza kiasi cha kuweza kumpandisha rank kutoka sixth seed na kufikia 4seeded in the world ranking at the end of this competition.
Leo kibaba FEderer baada ya kushinda kwa mbinde jana anakutana na M-Luxembourg Gilles mueller mechi inayotarajiwa kuwa ngumu and on the other side kutakuwa na kazi ya ziada kwa Djokovic kumpunguza the Big american Serving..Andy Roddick katika another quarter final...washindi wa game watakutana kwenye Semi..i do hope itakuwa ni kama final ya Aussie Open..FED vs Djokovic..lets wait

Nadal downs Fish in raucous late late show

Rafael Nadal turned dream wrecker at Flushing Meadows when he downed American favourite Mardy Fish 3-6 6-1 6-4 6-2 in a rowdy late late show that closed Wednesday's programme at the US Open.
In a match that started on Wednesday and did not finish until 2.10 am local time on Thursday, world number one Nadal drowned out the deafening roars in Arthur Ashe Stadium to reach the last four at the grand slam event for the first time.

"The night atmosphere here is always amazing here but I prefer to finish a little earlier," a beaming Nadal said courtside after securing a last-four showdown with Britain's Andy Murray.

"Thanks everyone for being here until 2 o'clock."

He later added: "For sure it was not the best conditions to play a tennis match. But sometimes the schedules are tough, like here, and Australia, too. So sometimes it's difficult. But... you just accept and go on court and try your best."

After overcoming a first-set hiccup, a merciless Nadal was steaming towards victory when he was suddenly stopped in his tracks.

Leading 3-2 in the fourth set, Nadal was distracted by a male fan who shouted out from the stands while the Spaniard was in full flight of his service motion.

Sportingly, Fish immediately stopped the point and then play was held up for several minutes as a security official went to deal with the offending fan.

Once the umpire had reminded the crowd of the etiquette of staying quiet during points, normal service resumed and a rampaging Nadal won the next three games, sealing victory when Fish sailed a the ball long.

At 2.10, the finish was just 16 minutes short of the US Open record for the latest finish in New York

Its FEDERER(2) Vs DJOKOVIC(3) in the Semi Finals and NADAL(1) Vs ANDY MURRAY(6)

For Roger Federer to win his fifth US Open title in a row, the Swiss second seed must prove he still has what it takes to beat Novak Djokovic, this time in a semifinal rematch of last year's final.
Twelve-time Grand Slam winner Federer and Serbian third seed Djokovic, the reigning Australian Open champion, advanced to a Saturday semifinal replay of their 2007 title showdown with impressive quarterfinal triumphs on Thursday.

Federer advanced to his 18th consecutive Grand Slam semifinal and stretched his US Open win streak to 32 matches by defeating 130th-ranked qualifier Gilles Muller 7-6 (7/5), 6-4, 7-6 (7/5) to end the Luxembourg left-hander's dream run.

"I'm happy to keep the semifinal streak alive. That's a huge streak for a long time," Federer said. "I'm really happy with my mindset going into the semifinals. I'm happy to take it to the final four one more time."

Federer, who last missed a Slam semifinal at the 2004 French Open, has a 6-2 career record against Djokovic, including a 7-6 (7/4), 7-6 (7/2), 6-4 victory in last year's final.

"He's an absolute favourite in that match," Djokovic said. "I lost to him last year. For him it's a big challenge to go back to number one.

"For sure it's going to be a great match."

Djokovic eliminated US eighth seed Andy Roddick 6-2, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7/5) in Thursday's other Arthur Ashe Stadium quarterfinal, the Serbian spurred on by Roddick's jokes to the crowd two nights earlier about Djokovic claiming several injuries.

"Andy said I have 16 injuries. Obviously I don't," Djokovic said, drawing boos from a crowd dominated by Roddick supporters.

"Like it or not, it's like that," Djokovic said. "They are already against me because they think I'm faking everything."

"That was not nice to say in front of this crowd that I have 16 injuries and I'm faking it. The momentum is not nice."

It will be the first healthy meeting of Federer and Djokovic since last year at Flushing Meadows.

Djokovic beat Federer in straight sets in the Australian Open semifinals on the way to his first Slam title, but Federer said he was ill, and Djokovic retired against Federer in an April semifinal on Monte Carlo clay.

Saturday's other semifinal will send British sixth seed Andy Murray against Spanish world number one Rafael Nadal, who seeks his third Slam crown in a row after beating Federer in the French Open and Wimbledon finals.

"Hopefully I can take it one more step than I did at the French Open and Wimbledon," Federer said.

The Swiss ruled the rankings for 237 weeks until last month, when Nadal ended his reign before capturing singles gold at the Beijing Olympics.

"You could see why he was number one," Muller said. "Every time the score was tight he came up with the better shot."

Federer, 27, has not lost at the US Open since David Nalbandian beat him in the fourth round in 2003. But his aura of invincibility has been punctured this year after seasons of utter domination.

"It's not too much about Roger's invincibility. He's human," Muller said. "Everyone knew he had a tough year. He struggled a little bit.

"It's more the belief I had in myself, the confidence that I could beat him.

"I could have won the two tie-breakers for sure. I just wasn't so lucky."

Federer won the only break of the match in the ninth game of the second set on a forehand winner. Muller denied Federer on three break points in the third set on the way to a tie-break, then grabbed a 4-1 edge before Federer rallied.

"I'm happy I was able to come back and pull it out because it looked like it was going to go four," Federer said. "When you are down you try to fight and that's what I tried to do out there."

Muller, who twice rallied to win here after losing the first two sets, upset Russian fifth seed Nikolay Davydenko in the fourth round to become the second qualifier in the US Open final eight after France's Nicolas Escude in 1999.

"A lot of people think I should be happy but I'm disappointed because I feel like I had my chances and I didn't take advantage of them," Muller said.

Djokovic made the most of his chances to down Roddick, who was two points from forcing a fifth set until he double faulted twice to give the Serbian his only break point of the set, which Djokovic converted on a backhand lob winner.

Each man held once more to set up the tie-breaker, which went to 5-5 before Roddick netted a backhand volley to give Djokovic match point.

The Serbian smacked a service winner and Roddick was done after two hours and 34 minutes.

Djokovic broke Roddick in four of his first eight service games, providing the margin for claiming the first two sets, but Roddick held serve his next nine chances to set up the fourth-set drama.

Roddick's fifth loss in seven US Open quarterfinals ensured American men would equal their longest Slam title drought at 21 events, matching a five-year hex that the late Arthur Ashe ended by winning the 1968 Wimbledon title.

Serena Williams saw off a valiant display from Serbia's Jelena Jankovic to win her third US Open title and regain the world number one ranking.

The American, 26, came through 6-4 7-5 in a fantastic match to secure her ninth Grand Slam title.

Jankovic, 23, was playing in her first Grand Slam final but made the better start before Williams fought back with three breaks to win the opening set.

And Williams sealed victory after saving four set points in the second.

"I'm so excited," she said. "This was magical. It was everything coming together like magic.

"I wasn't even going for number one and it's just like an added bonus. It is that special because I've been working so hard."

Williams has now won one French Open, two Wimbledon, three Australian Open and three US Open titles, adding to her victories of 1999 and 2002 in New York.

Serena wins 3rd U.S. Open title

p1.serena.ap.jpg

Serena Williams did not drop a set on her way to her ninth career Grand Slam title.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Serena Williams flung her racket straight up and jumped for joy, hopping and skipping
and screaming and generally looking like someone who had just won her first U.S. Open title or earned
her debut at No. 1.

Displaying the talent and tenacity that allowed her to dominate tennis earlier in the decade, Williams outlasted
Jelena Jankovic 6-4, 7-5 Sunday night in a thrill-a-minute match chock full of marvelous strokes and momentum
swings to win her third U.S. Open championship and ninth Grand Slam title.

"Every one is so exciting, believe me," Williams said. "This is cool because I'm at No. 9. I'm pushing the doors
closer to double digits, which of course I want to get to."

And there was this "added bonus," as Williams termed it: She returns to the top of the rankings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...008/09/07/womens.final.ap/index.html#?eref=T1

b_0907_076_Serena.jpg

Serena Williams (USA)[4] with her trophy after winning her finals match to Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[2] on day 14 of the 2008 US Open.

b_0907_078_Serena.jpg

Serena Williams (USA)[4] and Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[2] pose with their trophies after Williams won the women's singles final on Day 14 of the 2008 US Open.

b_0907_071_Serena.jpg

Serena Williams (USA)[4] defeated Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[2] 6-4 7-5 during the Women's Singles Finals match on day 14 of the 2008 US Open.

b_0907_066_Serena.jpg

Serena Williams (USA)[4] reacts as she plays against Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[2] during the Women's Singles Finals match on day 14 of the 2008 US Open.

b_0905_041_swilliams.jpg

b_0905_040_swilliams.jpg

The World's No.1 Ranking Female Tennis Player

b_0905_042_swilliams.jpg

b_0907_076_Serena.jpg

Serena Williams (USA)[4] with her trophy after winning her finals match to Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[2] on day 14 of the 2008 US Open.

b_0907_078_Serena.jpg

Serena Williams (USA)[4] and Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[2] pose with their trophies after Williams won the women's singles final on Day 14 of the 2008 US Open.

b_0907_071_Serena.jpg

Serena Williams (USA)[4] defeated Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[2] 6-4 7-5 during the Women's Singles Finals match on day 14 of the 2008 US Open.

b_0907_066_Serena.jpg

Serena Williams (USA)[4] reacts as she plays against Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[2] during the Women's Singles Finals match on day 14 of the 2008 US Open.

b_0905_041_swilliams.jpg

b_0905_040_swilliams.jpg

The World's No.1 Ranking Female Tennis Player

b_0905_042_swilliams.jpg

ni namba one sasa kwa wanawake (seeded number one) congratz