[Unity Bridge] These people are not serious

Alpha

JF-Expert Member
Aug 30, 2007
I was excited when i heard that a bridge was going to be built. Well, It's CCM so I guess i should have known better. I mean really, some of this stuff is just common sense.

Is Unity Bridge a white elephant?

'Coordination was lacking when the project was being implemented' Mr Mkulo

By Lucas Liganga

The magnificent Unity Bridge connecting Tanzania and Mozambique across Ruvuma River lacks vital supporting infrastructure and facilities, The Citizen has learnt.This means that it will be some time before the bridge plays a pivotal role in facilitating trade and the movement of people between the two countries.

Despite traversing the countries’ common border, there are no immigration and customs facilities or security checkpoints on either side of the bridge, which also lacks all-weather roads connecting it to other parts of Tanzania and Mozambique.

Finance and Economic Affairs minister Mustafa Mkulo yesterday blamed lack of coordination for the absence of important facilities at the Sh34 billion bridge.

“It’s unfortunate that there wasn’t adequate coordination when the project was being implemented,” Mr Mkulo told The Citizen by telephone.

He said he would direct the Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA) to establish a customs office at the bridge as soon as possible.

Infrastructure Development minister Shukuru Kawambwa said he could not comment immediately. “Call me tomorrow when I will be in a position to comment on the issue,” he said.

Home Affairs minister Lawrence Masha could not be reached, and an aide who identified himself as George Mkaima said the minister was in his Nyamagana constituency in Mwanza Region attending a fundraiser organised by the Anglican Church.

Home Affairs deputy minister Khamis Kagasheki’s response when reached for comment was: “Don’t call me on Sundays when I’m with my family. Please try to understand me.”

Some commentators said the 720-metre bridge would be a white elephant as long as customs, immigration and other important facilities were not there.

They added that high expectations of increased trade and movement of people between Tanzania and Mozambique were premature despite the bridge’s official opening last week by President Jakaya Kikwete and his Mozambican counterpart, Mr Armando Guebuza.

Investigations by The Citizen have also established that roads leading to the bridge on either side were in a pathetic condition, making it difficult to access the link.

The nearest all-weather road on the Tanzanian side is 56 kilometres away in Masasi District. Mtwara and Lindi towns are 320 kilometres and 240 kilometres away, respectively.

On the Mozambican side, the nearest coastal town, Mocimboa da Praia, is 275 kilometres away, while the nearest paved road is 165 kilometres from the bridge.

The Controller and Auditor General (CAG) noted in his audit report for the 2008/9 financial year that the lack of necessary facilities and services rendered the bridge “useless”.

The CAG said accessing the bridge was difficult due to the absence of an all-weather road that was supposed to connect it to the Masasi-Tunduma road, adding that the nearest district headquarters in Mozambique was 165 kilometres away.

“There were no plans to ensure sustainability of the bridge,” the CAG report said, adding that lack of a joint committee or commission to oversee the operations and maintenance of the bridge was another major oversight.

Commenting on the matter, Nominated MP Ismail Jussa said yesterday that poor planning could turn the imposing multi-billion-shilling bridge into a white elephant.

“The problem with us is that we don’t look at the bigger picture when planning our projects. There is no proper coordination, and the Unity Bridge project is a perfect example,” the CUF MP said.

Mr Jussa added it was likely that expert advice was ignored in planning the bridge and during the project’s implementation for the sake of political expediency.

“How could you build a bridge using billions of shillings of taxpayers’ money without building roads leading to it?” the legislator queried.

Mr Jussa said the Machinga Complex being built in Dar es Salaam for small-scale traders could also end up being another white elephants because it lacked, among other amenities, a parking lot.

“We tend to ignore our experts and let politicians do the planning. Such projects require serious planning,” he said.

Chadema secretary-general Willibrod Slaa echoed Mr Jussa’s views, saying huge sums of money were being sunk into projects that did not benefit the people.

“It’s basically a question of poor planning. Many projects end up being white elephants because they are inspired by self-aggrandisement rather than the needs of the people at that particular time,” the Karatu MP said.

He added that common sense dictated that roads and customs, immigration and security facilities were supposed to be built simultaneously with the bridge.

Inaugurating the bridge last week, presidents Kikwete and Guebuza directed relevant authorities in their countries to hasten the setting up of customs, immigration and security offices at the border post to make the bridge more useful.

“We need the authorities to start working immediately so that our citizens can begin enjoying the fruits of the bridge rather than staying for years without benefitting from it,” President Kikwete said.

He added that since the bridge had been opened for public use there was a need to formulate plans and strategies aimed at increasing trade and investments in not only Tanzania and Mozambique, but in other countrie

Kwanini mlikuwa mnataka daraja au mnataka usafiri mzuri? Mbona hamshangai kuwa wataaanza kujenga barabara za kwenda mbinguni hapo Dar hivi karibuni?

Mustapha Mkulo anachekesha anazungumza kama vile yuko nje ya system. Kwa hiyo wanataka kusema wasingejenda daraja kabla ya kujenga ofisi za uhamiaji? Au wasingejenda daraja kabla ya kujenga barabara?

Mkapa na serikali yake waliamua kufanya daraja iwe priority na project imekamilika. Masha , Mkulo na JK tafuteni priority inayofutia kulifanya daraja liwe na maana sio kukosoa tu.

Hiyo kazi kuna taasisi noja ya serikali ndio ilisimamia kwanza mradi mzima katika kuaanda, hayo yote yalikuwemo, lakini utekelezaji wizara ya miundombinu wakadai ndio kazi yao. on sasa wamechemshaaaaaaa

It was never a priority. Ujenzi wa daraja ulikuwa ni wa zima moto na ujanja wa ulaji tu. Siasa!

uliza fedha ngapi zimetumika kwa kitu ambacho hakitumiki sasa!

I was excited when i heard that a bridge was going to be built. Well, It's CCM so I guess i should have known better. I mean really, some of this stuff is just common sense.

Nawashangaa sana WaTz wenye ufinyu wa kufikiri, ikiwa hata kuji extrapolate kwa miaka 5-10 ijayo.
Wasomi walisema "Rome was not build in a single day".
Hivi hii juhudi ya ujenzi mnaiona au macho yenu yamejaa tope.
By all standards this is a MAJOR MAJOR achievement kwa serikali zetu hizi mbili.
Wengi wenu mnaandika from an observation tower na kushindwa hata kufikiri kimaendeleo kwa muda ujao.
Kama hakuna Police /Immigration so what? watu watavuka tu, tena kwa usalama zaidi.
Kwa taarifa zenu barabara ya Masasi hadi Mangaka inaendelea kujengwa kwa kiwango cha lami. Kilometa 33 zimekwishakamilishwa hadi sasa.
Katika muda wa miaka 3-5 ijayo lami itafika darajani.
Nikiwa Mdau katika masuala ya ujenzi hili ni tukio la kujivunia, wenye kulalamika waendelee wakati wengine wanapasha moto malori yao kuchangamkia biashara kati ya Maputo na Dar.

Nimewahi kufika kwenye hilo daraja mwaka juzi. Ni kiasi cha kutengeneza tu njia ya kutoka Masasi kwenda hapo. Na kuweka kituo cha muda cha uhamiaji!

Hilo daraja ujenzi wake ni major milestone. hayo mapungufu ya immigration na TRA offices ni minor issues tuu kwani hata gharama yake haifikii roboo ya maamuzii ya ujenzi wa daraja hilo.

ni muhimu kwa serikali zote mbili kuweka miundo mbinu hiyoo (offices and staffs) kabla mwisho wa mwaka huu. Kinachotusumbua katika kupanga ni jinsi ya kupanga na kutekelezaa..Kwa mfano upangaji wa ujenzi wa daraja hiloo na utekelezaji wake ni jambo la mfano wa kuigwaa.

Huyo mwandishi wa Citizen ni kilaza, ujenzi au project yoyote huwa kinaangaliwa kitu ambacho ni critical. Kwenye hili swala critical path ni kuvuka mto hayo mambo mengine yanawezekana hata kwa muda wa miezi sita kila kitu kuwepo hapo (immigration, revenue na police) issue ya barabara nzuri ni kujipanga tu.

Yatupasa kujivunia kitu tulichojenga bila ya deni la donors. Tubuni miradi mingine ili na vizazi vijavyo angalau waweze kutushukuru.

wanaovuka pale kwa sasa hawahitaji paper work. kwani walipokuwa wanavuka kwa mitumbwi walikuwa wanatumia passport??

Nadhani kosa la huu mradi ni kuanza kwake kuanzia serikali ya awamu ya 3. Katika miaka hii 5 ya mwanzo ya JK, kubezwa kwa miradi iliyoanza awamu ya 3 imekuwa kawaida. Hata kama huyo mzee alikuwa na makosa yake, haki yake mpeni!!!

i hope this is not written by a kenyan. hata kama hakuna barabara nzuri, bora kitu kimoja kimeanza, kingine kitafuata. unaonaje kama tungekosa vyote?

cha maana alichoongea hapo, ni juu ya customs, immigration and security facilities...kwakweli kama hawajafanya hivyo, wanatakiwa kulishughulikia mapema iwezekanavyo...tz na moz ni nchi mbili tofauti, hatujawa nchi moja hadi watu waingie bila kupitia immigration, sehemu za kodi etc. sijui, labda wameamua kusacrifce kama incentive ya ushirikiano, ni ajabu.

So chaotic!!!

Nchi hii tumelogwa, na bado CCM itachaguliwa tena. Sijui inabidi nini kitokee ndiyo tuamuke!! Disgusting!

Huyo mwandishi wa Citizen ni kilaza, ujenzi au project yoyote huwa kinaangaliwa kitu ambacho ni critical. Kwenye hili swala critical path ni kuvuka mto hayo mambo mengine yanawezekana hata kwa muda wa miezi sita kila kitu kuwepo hapo (immigration, revenue na police) issue ya barabara nzuri ni kujipanga tu.

Yatupasa kujivunia kitu tulichojenga bila ya deni la donors. Tubuni miradi mingine ili na vizazi vijavyo angalau waweze kutushukuru.

Completely disagree. I think Tanzanians have become so used to incompetence, mis-management, poor planning, etc that they will take any nonsense thrown at them.

When did they start building this bridge 2005? You are trying to tell me there is a reasonable excuse for their not to be immigration and customs facilities in 2010. What have they been doing for the last 5 years, did they think the bridge would never be finished?

You are cutting these people too much slack. Someone should be fired for this but of course in CCM's Tanzania there is absolutely nothing wrong with this picture.

Completely disagree. I think Tanzanians have become so used to incompetence, mis-management, poor planning, etc that they will take any nonsense thrown at them.

When did they start building this bridge 2005? You are trying to tell me there is a reasonable excuse for their not to be immigration and customs facilities in 2010. What have they been doing for the last 5 years, did they think the bridge would never be finished?

You are cutting these people too much slack. Someone should be fired for this but of course in CCM's Tanzania there is absolutely nothing wrong with this picture.

As it seems this "brother" lives in an observation tower-complitey cut off from the ground.
You will also be enlightened to know that the Dodoma- Mwanza road, mooted in the early 2000's contruction commenced in 2003.Today, 7 years later it is yet to be completed.
And yet life goes on despite obvious challenges.
Your analogy of failure to construct a police post/Immgratio post being tantamount to failure of the entire project is to say the least absurd, and I am honestly amazed by your lack of objectivity.

I was excited when i heard that a bridge was going to be built. Well, It's CCM so I guess i should have known better. I mean really, some of this stuff is just common sense.................................................
..........................The Controller and Auditor General (CAG) noted in his audit report for the 2008/9 financial year that the lack of necessary facilities and services rendered the bridge "useless".

The CAG said accessing the bridge was difficult due to the absence of an all-weather road that was supposed to connect it to the Masasi-Tunduma road, adding that the nearest district headquarters in Mozambique was 165 kilometres away.

"There were no plans to ensure sustainability of the bridge," the CAG report said, adding that lack of a joint committee or commission to oversee the operations and maintenance of the bridge was another major oversight.

Duuhhh...........huyu CAG vipi tena...............huu mradi haukushuka kutoka mwezini.............pengine utuonyeshe kuwa uli-u-pick kuwa not viable kwenye ripoti zako huko nyuma...............otherwise kauli zako zinashangaza sana..............

Nawashangaa sana WaTz wenye ufinyu wa kufikiri, ikiwa hata kuji extrapolate kwa miaka 5-10 ijayo.
Wasomi walisema "Rome was not build in a single day".
Hivi hii juhudi ya ujenzi mnaiona au macho yenu yamejaa tope.
By all standards this is a MAJOR MAJOR achievement kwa serikali zetu hizi mbili.
Wengi wenu mnaandika from an observation tower na kushindwa hata kufikiri kimaendeleo kwa muda ujao.
Kama hakuna Police /Immigration so what? watu watavuka tu, tena kwa usalama zaidi.
Kwa taarifa zenu barabara ya Masasi hadi Mangaka inaendelea kujengwa kwa kiwango cha lami. Kilometa 33 zimekwishakamilishwa hadi sasa.
Katika muda wa miaka 3-5 ijayo lami itafika darajani.

Mkuu asante sana..............hizo barabara kuelekea darajani ni kweli miradi inaendelea......asiyejua ni bora aulize kuliko ku-draw conclusions zisizo na msingi.................

Ahh humu JF imeshakuwa upuuzi mtupu. Watu wanacriticize chochote, mabaya sawa na mazuri pia twende! Yani al-mradi tuu wameongea na kuiponda CCM. Sote tunajua matatizo ya CCM or more likely ya Tanzania, ata hao wapinzani ambao as soon as someone speaks of auditing their expenses..anadedishwa, mara sijui nini viongozi hao hao miaka nenda rudi.. Mtu mwenyekiti huyo huyo wachama kwanzia 92 hadi leo..lol Sasa mkimpa Ikulu itakuaje? Inachekesha sana.. Wabongo ni njaa tuu, CCM njaa, upinzani njaa kali.. Tukiwa tunacriticize tuangaliage basi kipi kizuri kipi kibovu.. mnyonge mnyongeni, lakini haki yake mpeni..

Watu wanaongea kama daraja linabomoka baada ya miaka mitano!
Hivi ni watu wangapi wanajenga nyumba lakini wanaweka umeme na maji baadae? Utasema hiyo nyumba haina maana kwa sababu mjenzi hakujipanga na kuweka umeme/maji punde jengo linapomalizika??
Kujenga daraja ndo jambo la msingi hapa, mengine yanafuata, tena ujenzi wake unarahisishwa na uwepo wa daraja.
Ingekua jambo la kushangaza kama zingeanza kujengwa barabara na ofisi kabla ya daraja!

Back
Top Bottom