Underwear thief to clean up courts

Invisible

Robot
Feb 11, 2006
A thief who confessed to stealing underpants from a supermarket in Mombasa has been sentenced to two weeks of community service.

Brian Odongo pleaded guilty to the charge, which stated that on September 10, at Nakumatt Likoni, he stole a pair of long trousers, one pair of shoes, one T-shirt and two pairs of underpants.

The prosecution told the court that the items were worth Sh 6,170.

The magistrate said the thief would clean the courtrooms and other areas every day for two weeks on a daily basis.

Source:

easLogoOther.gif

Hivyo viwalo walimuachia navyo au wanyewe walivichukua? Hiyo adhabu ni sawa ila walitakiwa kuwa fair kidogo wangemuachia tu yaelekea jamaa hakuwa na viwalo vya kufanyia mtoko!!!!

Invisible,
There is a lesson to learn from the above case. The court has impressed me by equalizing the offense and punishment. Stealing is just stealing is an offense that needs punishment. But what kind of punishment such offender deserves? I give big 5 to the magistrate by not sending the offender to suffer in prison for such trivial offense instead the offender would be serving the sentence into community, doing community work for the benefit of the community. Again the offender would have an opportunity of taking care of his family if was a family man. The children would continue going to school, a mother would continue receiving matrimonial services as usual.

Suppose it was here in Tanzania, I hope such offender would have been suffered heavy punishment in prison of which would led his family to disintegrate. If I remember well, in Tanzania too we have such punishment, but how often our magistrates have been using this sort of sentence? Anyone who knows more about community sentences in Tanzania, please come out and explain to us.

Back
Top Bottom