Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Ulimwengu akumbushia unyama wa ukoloni wa Waingereza Kenya. Ukilinganisha, hapa ilikuwa pepo!

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by Zak Malang, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Zak Malang

Zak Malang JF-Expert Member

Oct 14, 2012
    WanaJF:

Haya tena Jenerali huyo. Kwa mtazamo wangu kama wenzetu Kenya wamefanikiwa kupata katiba iliyo bora ni kwa sababu walipita kugumu sana -- ukoloni wa Waingereza wakisaidiwa na wasaliti wa kizalendo, na baadaye ukoloni wa mweusi katika kipindi cha karibi miaka 40 baada ya 'Uhuru.'

Angalia hapo kwenye red. Waingereza walifanya mambo haya hapa kwetu?

Now we know how Britain crushed freedom in Kenya and gave the country to traitors

By Jenerali Ulimwengu

Two big books published in 2005 helped to authoritatively establish the monstrosity of British colonialism in Kenya, especially in the wake of the Mau Mau uprising.

The first was titled Histories of the Hanged by David Anderson, a British academic and the second was Britain's Gulag, by Caroline Elkins, an American history professor.

Up until I read these books, I thought I was conversant with the atrocities committed by the Brits in their desperate attempt to eradicate the rebellion and dampen the fervour of the nationalists who were clamouring for the departure of the settler-colonialists - who in their turn showed every sign of wanting to rule the country for ever.

At college, I had read J.M Kariuki's Mau Mau Detainee, Jaramogi Oginga Odinga's Not Yet Uhuru, a biography of Ian Henderson (the police officer who hunted down and captured Dedan Kimathi), as well as innumerable articles on the brutalities that the colonial government visited on the people of Kenya during the so-called Operation Anvil and the euphemistically termed "Pipeline."

But going through these two books, I realised how little I knew of how they used Kenyans to betray, denounce, arrest, torture and humiliate fellow Kenyans. I knew very little about the political machinations of Whitehall and the duplicity of British officialdom.

Anderson and Elkins reveal a whole catalogue of atrocities committed by the colonialists in Kenya and their principals in London as both tried to stop the unstoppable, much as the praying mantis raises his puny arms against an oncoming train.

The settler administration declared an Emergency and proceeded to pass a cohort of laws allowing for mass arrests and incarceration, interrogation, torture, mass removals, land confiscations and extrajudicial killings - according to Elkins, "suspects were whipped, beaten, sodomised, burned, forced to eat faeces and drink urine."

All this was aided by local chiefs and pliant collaborators who were rewarded with land confiscated from suspected Mau Mau, stipends, promotions...

Meanwhile, the imperial HQ in Whitehall fended off any and all accusations aired in the British parliament by courageous souls such as Barbara Castle and Fenner Brockway.

In this saga, the title of liar-in-chief has to go to Alan Lennox-Boyd, colonial secretary at the time and undoubtedly the villain of the piece, although the entire British government did not cover itself in glory over the Kenyan issue.

Nor did it cover itself in glory anywhere it ventured. Perhaps by the very logic of imperial conquest and domination, the greatest colonial power in the world could not afford such luxuries as straight talk, chivalry and fair play; it had to lie, dissemble, feign, doublespeak and beguile.

That is how the Brits managed to leave behind treacherous jigsaw puzzles and booby traps everywhere they went, be it Palestine or Rhodesia, Malaya or Cyprus, India or Sudan.

There is always something to chew over, crooked lines to set straight, old ambiguities to be ambiguous about yet again.

Today, the Kenya Coast wants out, Malawi and Tanzania have a spat over a big drink called either Nyasa or Malawi, and - British genius - the Malvinas, far, far down there in Argentina, are British!

In Not Yet Uhuru, Jaduong Oginga Odinga expressed the hope that one day Britain's crimes in Kenya would be investigated and responsibilities apportioned.

This is what, in part, these two books have done. A couple of legal cases have been prosecuted in Britain, and the response from British courts suggests that perfidious old Albion may yet redeem itself.

As we know when freedom came to Kenya, it got confiscated by people who had little to do with the struggle to attain it - former traitors and collaborators. The true fighters were marginalised, shunned and mocked, their suffering forgotten.

It is gratifying to learn that, at long last, the companions of Kimathi may get some justice, however delayed.

Jenerali Ulimwengu, chairman of the board of the Raia Mwema newspaper, is a political commentator and civil society activist based in Dar es Salaam. E-mail: ulimwengu@jenerali.com

Source: The East African

2. Zak Malang

Zak Malang JF-Expert Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Siye hapa tulipata uhuru wetu katika sahani ya fedha! ndo maana viongozi wetu wanauchezea tu na kufaidi wao! lakini iko siku!