Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

UK faces hung parliament despite Conservative gains

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by Mbonea, May 7, 2010.

1. Mbonea

Mbonea JF-Expert Member

May 7, 2010
    Britain was waking up Friday to the propsect of a hung parliament after one of the most fiercely-fought general elections in decades left no party with a clear enough majority to form an effective government.
    As results from across the country rolled in, the Conservative Party of David Cameron looked to have gained more parliamentary seats than incumbent Gordon Brown's Labour Party.
    The Liberal Democrats failed to live up to an exuberant campaign spurred by the stellar performance of their leader Nick Clegg in the country's first ever televised prime ministerial debates, but their party could still hold the key to power.
    Brown -- who as incumbent will be given the first opportunity to form a coalition government -- gave no indication early Friday that he would step down.
    The "outcome is not yet known but my duty ... is to play my part in Britain having a strong, stable and principled government," he said as he won re-election to his seat in Scotland. "I will not let you down."
    "I am very determined and have been through quite a lot in my political career and in my personal life, and I am used to difficulties."
    He arrived at his Downing Street residence in London at 7 a.m. (2 a.m. ET) and walked quickly inside, saying nothing in response to reporters' questions about whether he would resign.

2. N

Nanu JF-Expert Member

May 7, 2010
    CON are leading currently. They need 326 seats to from the Govt themselves which is unlikely that they will be able to get 34 seats out of current 31 not announced seats. Hence they may merge with LD to form the government or LAB merge with LD to from the Govt for both cases it is possible.