Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Uganda's Senior Anglican bishops back Mbabazi

Discussion in 'Ugandan News and Politics' started by ByaseL, Aug 6, 2009.

1. B

ByaseL JF-Expert Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Though he is under investigation for allegedly condoning sectarian talk which appears to prop up his political ambitions, the Minister for Security, Amana Mbabazi, seemed to stake his neck when he heaped praise on the Anglican bishop who made the sectarian remarks that kicked up a storm in Kigezi.

The minister commended Bishop John Wilson Ntegyereize of Kinkiizi Diocese –the man at the centre of controversy for his “good leadership” and also donated a Friesian cow and a Bible.

The minister also donated the same items to the Archbishop of the Church of Uganda, Henry Luke Orombi on July 26, 2009 during the installation of his wife, Jacqueline Mbabazi as a Canon in Kinkizi Diocese.
    It was alleged that while preaching to a congregation at Kihihi Church of Uganda in the presence of Mbabazi on June 7, the bishop asked Protestants to contest for all political positions in the district and implored the worshipers to vote only those candidates who subscribe to the Anglican faith.

The remarks didn’t go down well with a select group of politicians from Kigezi who accuse Mbabazi of mobilising Protestants to counter Vice President Prof. Gilbert Bukenya who is also accused of holding secret night meetings with leaders of the catholic church in a bid to gain political advantage.

By praising Ntegyereize, Mbabazi most likely handed more ammunition to his critics who have since faulted him for not condemning the remarks.
    Some local leaders in Kanungu have told The Observer that the clergy indeed made the remarks.

Mbabazi’s name has been dragged in the debate because he was among the worshippers when the bishop allegedly made the remarks, but remained silent. His critics say he did not speak against the remarks because he is one of the intended beneficiaries because he is reportedly mobilising Anglicans for political support.

Bishop Ntegyereize has told The Observer that he does not regret his remarks. “If I said anything, I said it after I had thought about it and I have no regrets.”

The Observer recently reported that President Museveni had instructed the minister for Presidency Beatrice Wabudeya to find a recording of what transpired at Kihihi Church to establish whether the Bishop’s remarks where indeed sectarian and if Mbabazi should have condemned them, (See: Museveni probing Bukenya, Mbabazi, The Observer July 16-19, 2009.)
    The President made the directive while meeting MPs from Rukungiri, Kabale, Kisoro and Kanungu districts.