Uganda's 'most unusual looking person' launches unlikely career as pop star

Informer

JF-Expert Member
Jul 29, 2006
efde8e36b5b20cfc99b32fa77748c00c.jpg

Godfrey Baguma has used his fame after he was thrust into the limelight after winning the competition searching for Uganda’s most unusual man.

The 47-year-old has used his new status as a local celebrity to form a successful career in African pop music – collecting three million YouTube views in the process.

Despite his success, the singer’s mystery illness, which until recently had never been diagnosed, leaves him worried he may have passed it on to his eight children.

He said: “Right now I’m afraid because I have a little daughter who kind of resembles me. I look at her head and I believe that she might look like me.

"Sometimes I worry because my children are still very young. I worry about what would happen to them if I died.”

With Mr Baguma’s condition deteriorating, Doctor Tony Wilson – the head of medicine at Mbarara Hospital – decided to carry out tests in a bid to finally diagnose the mysterious condition.

Doctor Wilson said: “He has very widespread abnormality in his head and pressing on various parts of his brain.

“His posture is compressing his chest – this is why he’s not treating well.”

Six weeks after having an MRI scan with Doctor Wilson, the 47-year-old finally received a diagnosis.

Doctor Wilson discovered he suffers from Fibrodysplasia – a rare condition – which affects the growth and placement of his cells and tissue.

2bd34b1f4098c2d24538d14f721a3ce8.jpg

Mr Baguma continued: “I was so worried that the doctor wanted to operate on me. I feel glad that he just told me about my condition.

“I feel so good and I have learned that I am a human being.”

The singer was also told his children couldn’t be passed the disease and now he is focusing on his musical career.

He continued: “I was mending my shoes and a man who worked in entertainment asked me to take part in a show.

“Now I’ve got friends. People call me to go to their shows and give me money.

“It helps me take care of my children.”

The 47-year-old has two children with his first wife and has a further six children with his new wife, Namande Kate, who he married eight years ago.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom