Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Uganda's Ex-VP Bukenya faces corruption charges

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ByaseL, May 30, 2011.

1. B

ByaseL JF-Expert Member

May 30, 2011
    Former Vice President Prof. Gilbert Balibaseka Bukenya is set to be charged before the anti-corruption court in relation to the procurement of the executive cars for the 2007 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Kampala.

Prof. Bukenya is facing two charges of abuse of office and acting fraudulently, according to a charge sheet presented to the court this morning by the Inspector General of Government.

Consequently, the anti-corruption court Grade One magistrate Ms Sarah Langa has on Monday morning issued criminal summons for Prof. Bukenya to appear in Court on June 16, at 9 a.m.
    The former Vice President is jointly charged with Motorcare (U) Ltd, the company that supplied of the 204 executive vehicles.

The IGG says the Shs9.4 billion Chogm car deal was awared to Motorcare (U) Ltd under the ‘personal’ influence of Prof. Bukenya without proper tendering. There were vibes early this morning that Prof. Bukenya, who chaired the cabinet sub-Committee on Chogm was set to be arrested this afternoon, but with the court summons, the former vice president will now have his day on Thursday, June 16 - on charges that are not bailable in the lower courts.

But Prof. Bukenya had earlier this this afternoon told our reporter that the latest IGG’s action has taken him by surprise because no summons have been sent to him.
    “I am surprised,” he said.

“I got to know about it from your newspaper’s website. I am at my village home in Kakiri. It’s a battle,” Prof. Bukenya this afternoon.

The charges come 3 days after the president’s release of new cabinet dropping Prof Bukenya as V.P, a position he had held for 8 years.