Uganda officials earn 5 times more than Olympians

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
The government did not provide money for Ugandan athletes to fund their preparations ahead of the 2012 Olympics that start tomorrow in London, a senior official has said.
Investigations by this newspaper also reveal that Uganda is sending more officials than athletes to the games and will pay some officials five times more allowances than the medal hopefuls.

William Blick, the president of the UOC, told this newspaper yesterday that preparations that ought to have started more than six months ago had been hamstrung by the lack of money and infighting in the organisation, which kept potential sponsors away.

Although the government offered Shs400 million to the Ugandan team, Mr Blick said part of the money was delivered in kind and some had not been delivered by yesterday, hindering training and preparations.

“I am not happy with government money,” he said. “I appreciate it but it comes late. We did not get money for preparations. It is not what I would have wanted but it’s beyond my control.”
Official records from the Uganda Olympic Committee (UOC) show that Uganda will send 16 athletes and 18 officials to the games.
The body in charge of the Paralympics, which start after the main games, is sending two athletes and four officials.

These figures do not include several other officials whose participation in the games will be funded by the government.
For instance Vice President Edward Ssekandi, who is part of the 18 UOC officials, and is head of the Ugandan delegation, is expected to travel to London with an entourage of at least three other officials, paid for by the government.

Back
Top Bottom