Uganda Minister resigns over UBC transmitter

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
By Vision Reporters

Embattled minister for Presidency Kabakumba Masiko has officially tendered in her resignation letter to the President.
She announced her resignation at news conference at Parliament on Wednesday afternoon.

Speaking to the press, Kabakumba said she has decided to step down to show a sign of political responsibility.

Kabakumba, who read a statement to reporters did not entertain any questions from them. She immediately left the Members Longue after the address. She however, remains an MP.

“I have enjoyed every moment of my service to my nation always mindful that I should not let down the trust bestowed on me by the President and people of Uganda. However to err is human. Even when we still begrudge the manner in which justice may have been exercised to its logical limit, it’s my humble patriotic duty and in the interest of democracy, my party NRM and indeed my biological family, I will for now give way to allow smooth and unfettered consideration of the controversy in which I find myself in. I therefore resign my current responsibility of Minister in Charge of the Presidency and Kampala Capital Authority with effect from December 14,” Kabakumba said.

Her resignation comes after intense pressure mounted on her in a Monday meeting at State House by both the Cabinet and NRM to vacate her seat.

The Bujenje County MP is accused of using a transmitter and other broadcasting equipment belonging to Uganda Broadcasting Corporation (UBC), the public broadcaster, without paying for them.

Back
Top Bottom