Uganda Finds An Alternative Route through Tanzania!!!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Wakuu,

najua kuna baadhi yenu mlikua mnasubiri hii kitu kwa
hamu na ghamu.Naona ishu ya Migingo imebidi M-7 afikirie
kuhusu mbinu mbadala.

Wasiwasi wangu ni kua mafisadi wataharibu hii tenda kwa
manufaa ya raia wa kawaida. Hebu changamkeni hapo bandarini.

Tanzania opens alternative route

1246301133zulu.jpg

By Anne Mugisa

THE Tanzania Ports Authority has announced the opening of an alternative route to the sea through Dar es Salaam for goods from and to Uganda and the rest of the region.

At a press conference in Kampala yesterday, the port officials said they would discuss the issue of taxes with the Uganda Revenue Authority.

The new route, called the central corridor, consists of a rail, lake and road network.

“Cargo will be delivered to Kampala from Dar es Salaam through Morogoro, Dodoma, Manyoni, Singida, Nzega, Kahama, Biharamulo, Muleba, Bukoba, Mutukula and Masaka,” said Flavian Kinunda, the marketing director of the Tanzania Ports Authority.

Kinunda, who led the Tanzanian delegation, said Uganda was for them a very important market and transit route.

He said they had the capacity to handle the Ugandan cargo traffic to the coast, currently standing at four million tonnes, which was hitherto primarily going through Mombasa.

Dar es Salaam Port, that has a capacity of 11 million tonnes, is handling only seven million, he explained, adding that they were planning to increase the port’s capacity.

“We are here to strengthen our efforts in the Ugandan market. We closed the route some time back because of problems. We want to come back to recapture the market.”

Kinunda said there was a misconception that the Tanzanian route was more expensive than the Mombasa one. Besides distance, the issue of import taxes also needs to be taken into consideration, he noted.

He said import taxes are based on the cost, insurance and freight value but the issue was negotiable with URA.

Ugandan businesses suffered last year when transport was disrupted during the post-election violence in Kenya. Ugandan transporters, who tried to pass through the mayhem, were beaten up and their trucks burnt. The disruption led to acute fuel shortages in Uganda and other land-locked countries in the region.

Imports and exports were blocked again earlier this year when youth in Kibera slum uprooted the railway line in protest over what they called Uganda’s continued occupation of Migingo Island in Lake Victoria.

But Kinunda said the Tanzania Port Authority was not competing with Mombasa for the Ugandan market. Instead, he stressed, Dar es Salaam should be regarded as a second route to the coast.

He said they were also liaising with the Ugandan and Tanzanian governments for the construction of a railway line from Arusha to Musoma. The route, he said, would open up Tanga port for goods to Uganda and Southern Sudan.

The opening of alternative routes will speed up the delivery of goods to Uganda, which had been suffering from bureaucratic delays and manpower shortages at Mombasa port. It will also bring down the cost of doing business in Uganda as competition will set in.

Source: New Vision (Uganda)

Wakuu,

najua kuna baadhi yenu mlikua mnasubiri hii kitu kwa
hamu na ghamu.Naona ishu ya Migingo imebidi M-7 afikirie
kuhusu mbinu mbadala.

Wasiwasi wangu ni kua mafisadi wataharibu hii tenda

Mafisadi wa nchi gani?Kenya au Uganda?
Tanzania hakuna shida.
Shida kubwa iko Kenya.

Hii ni habari njema kwa kuongeza pato letu la taifa. Hakika bandari yetu ingekuwa efficient inatosha kabisa kuzalisha pesa za kuendesha hii nchi bila kutegemea misaada ya wahisani. Watendaji waache ubabaishaji waitumie vyema fursa hii. Kwa kweli MUNGU aingilie kati mambo yanyoke hapo bandarini ili uchumi wetu uzidi kukua. GOD bless Tanzania.

Mafisadi wa nchi gani?Kenya au Uganda?
Tanzania hakuna shida.
Shida kubwa iko Kenya.

Idda,
Just cut down on the weed, you will see things clear. Yani you are so paranoid to an extent of thinking that Kenyans will mess/corrupt your new found business partner? We are happy for y'all, healthy competition is good. Atleast we are now sure that major changes will be made in the port of Mombasa and our ancient railway system, coz thats how we play, we dont hate we appreciate.. thats the only way you can survive in this world, BEING RELEVANT (and you can only succeed in this if you appreciate competition).

Pardon me for bursting your bubbles to early.But just look at the Map is it me or the distance from Dar to Kampala looks longer from the naked eyes compared to Mombasa-Kampala.I think in Economics there is something referred to Cost benefit analysis??
does it apply here?

Pardon me for bursting your bubbles to early.But just look at the Map is it me or the distance from Dar to Kampala looks longer from the naked eyes compared to Mombasa-Kampala.I think in Economics there is something referred to Cost benefit analysis??
does it apply here?

One: Nobody's bubble has been burst.

Two: Yes a cost benefit analysis has been done.

Kinunda said there was a misconception that the Tanzanian route was more expensive than the Mombasa one. Besides distance, the issue of import taxes also needs to be taken into consideration, he noted.

He said import taxes are based on the cost, insurance and freight value but the issue was negotiable with URA.

Three: If you had taken time to read the article you would realise
Tanania is providing an 'alternative route' when things go
burst in Kenya.That's all this is about.

burst in Kenya.That's all this is about.

I hope that what you have just quoted is not the cost benefit analysis you are referring to coz if it is then pity be upon you and whomever has been quoted there in.

What misconception or False impression is he referring to when the reality is so easy to see even for a swine.

And for Kenya bursting keep praying i can assure you if God forbid we burst we will be so fast on our heels that we will bypass you along the way coz that's who we are resilient dynamic and all.

burst in Kenya.
That's all this is about.

Will things 'go burst' (as you put it) any day soon, so that I can switch my accounts to Tanzania (the safest country in the world) just to be safe? Am just asking coz it seems you have a grip on everything that goes on in my backyard. Ohh, BTW should I withdraw all my money from Equity bank and deposit them in a Tanzanian bank (the safest country in the world), coz there was a rumor at my local pub yesternight that the bank might go under? Just for the sake of it, will there be violence in the 2012 election, coz surely, I wouldnt want to be caught flat footed like the last time we had an election, and I almost didnt make it to Tanzania (the safest country in the world) in time. Will Harambee stars beat Nigeria in Lagos? Was just wondering coz I like betting on matches and wouldnt want to lose my precious thousand bob in this economic crunch, BTW how is the Tanzanian (the safest country in the world) team doing in the qualifications for the African cup?

Have a good day my Tanzanian (politest people in the world) friends.

Idda,
Just cut down on the weed, you will see things clear. Yani you are so paranoid to an extent of thinking that Kenyans will mess/corrupt your new found business partner? We are happy for y'all, healthy competition is good. Atleast we are now sure that major changes will be made in the port of Mombasa and our ancient railway system, coz thats how we play, we dont hate we appreciate.. thats the only way you can survive in this world, BEING RELEVANT (and you can only succeed in this if you appreciate competition).

Smatta,
Kenya is loosing the Bread,
Tanzania we must put that in mind.

I hope that what you have just quoted is not the cost benefit analysis you are referring to coz if it is then pity be upon you and whomever has been quoted there in.
What misconception or False impression is he referring to when the reality is so easy to see even for a swine.
And for Kenya bursting keep praying i can assure you if God forbid we burst we will be so fast on our heels that we will bypass you along the way coz thats who we are resilient dynamic and all.

hellfire20,

The misconception lies in the fact that folks like you might think
we are in competition which is not the case.Meanwhile swines do
not read books!

When I said 'Kenya goes burst' I meant skirmishes like the ones that
occured after Kibaki stole the elections of '07...or even the folks in
Kibera uprooting the railway...or maybe jamaa watataka hali tofauti
ya hewa.We do not wish Kenya to disintegrate like Somali and that
will not happen.So poa kidogo hapo.

Tanzania is not in competion but simply providing an alternative
route.Jamaa wakifurahia, so be it.

Regards.

Last edited:
Kupata hiyo deal sio shida,tatizo lipo ktk kuimaintain. Wabongo wakipata deal hawatachukua muda kuharibu.Let's wait and see!

Will things 'go burst' (as you put it) any day soon, so that I can switch my accounts to Tanzania (the safest country in the world) just to be safe? Am just asking coz it seems you have a grip on everything that goes on in my backyard. Ohh, BTW should I withdraw all my money from Equity bank and deposit them in a Tanzanian bank (the safest country in the world), coz there was a rumor at my local pub yesternight that the bank might go under? Just for the sake of it, will there be violence in the 2012 election, coz surely, I wouldnt want to be caught flat footed like the last time we had an election, and I almost didnt make it to Tanzania (the safest country in the world) in time. Will Harambee stars beat Nigeria in Lagos? Was just wondering coz I like betting on matches and wouldnt want to lose my precious thousand bob in this economic crunch, BTW how is the Tanzanian (the safest country in the world) team doing in the qualifications for the African cup?

Have a good day my Tanzanian (politest people in the world) friends.

Wewe Smatta,

naona una kamtindo kakudandia mabasi kwa mbele. In your initial post ulisema 'nice'...it looked like you were welcomiong competition.

Lakini na hii post ya hapa juu hata sijui nikueleweje. Your sacarsm will not do any justice to the mjadala at hand.

Ubarikiwe.

Ab-Titchaz,
Wakenya ndo walivyo. Tayari wivu ulishamjaa sasa anaanza kumwaga pumba zake (kejeli).
Acha tusonge mbele wala asitupotezee muda wetu.

Smatta,
Kenya is loosing the Bread,
Tanzania we must put that in mind.

Like Jesus said you cant live on Bread alone.
Like Robert Green says in his 48 laws of power Learn to Keep People Dependent on You("To maintain your independence you must always be needed and wanted. The more you are relied on, the more freedom you have. Make people depend on you for their happiness and prosperity and you have nothing to fear. Never teach them enough so that they can do without you.") i believe that's what Kenya is doing.

Just Out of curiosity based on the Map provided how is the road network on the route showed how far inland has it reached?

Ab-Titchaz,
Wakenya ndo walivyo. Tayari wivu ulishamjaa sasa anaanza kumwaga pumba zake (kejeli).
Acha tusonge mbele wala asitupotezee muda wetu.

When you put on that attitude and the fake facade that you are a humble, intelligent person, what do you expect other than a verbal attack. I dont and will never entertain stereotyping.

Just Out of curiosity based on the Map provided how is the road network on the route showed how far inland has it reached?
will someone in the know please,inform us of the state of logistics on the tanzanian side and the impending costs/prices to be bourne by the man on the streets on the ugandan side as a result of using the port of Dar

Back
Top Bottom