TZ economy to surpass Kenya, forecast shows. Hongera Kikwete!

Does GDP growth project people's welfare?..HELL NO...uchumi umekua by 7% lakini hebu angalia maisha ya watanzania jinsi wanavyoteseka na mfumuko wa bei..Iyo GDP growth inafaida gani kama bei za bidhaa zinazidi kupanda at the same time TZS inazidi kupoteza thamani..

Hivi waTZ naona siasa zimetupotezea uzalendo kweli, kila kitu tunawaza ki-CCM/CDM.
Kupinga tu kila wakati.

hatuwezi wapita wakenya kama taarifa ya mdondoaji inavyosema-hio ni habari za kujipa matumaini tu,kenya wapo juu na wanawekeza hapa tz,ilshafikia hatua walitaka kununua air tanzania ili wao waiendeshe-serikali ikawapa wa-south,hadi leo air tz ipo hivyo,sisi tupo tu na siasa za muungano

Smatta long time no see hope all is well, back to the topic the development plan and implementation period really worries me at all as you know people are good in talking and putting things in papers and at the end of the day nothing is being done having said that there is plan called TANZANIA DEVELOPMENT VISION 2025 it talks about development plan and vision this has been there since the former President B.W.Mkapa was still in power i have gone through the document but very few things have been done.

Am good bro, thanks for the look out... we have a vision 2030 here in Kenya, kind of a blueprint on which our developments should follow, being implemented in five year phases. It was launched in 2008 and to date it has not gone off its course. You said yours was launched by mheshimiwa Ben Mkapa? is it still on course? has it ever been reviewed? Kenya is not the best example out there, but am pretty sure you'll have to copy and improve alot from us if you are to develop.

hatuwezi wapita wakenya kama taarifa ya mdondoaji inavyosema-hio ni habari za kujipa matumaini tu,kenya wapo juu na wanawekeza hapa tz,ilshafikia hatua walitaka kununua air tanzania ili wao waiendeshe-serikali ikawapa wa-south,hadi leo air tz ipo hivyo,sisi tupo tu na siasa za muungano

that's very tru...kcb bank,diamond trust bank,eabl just to mention a few..ayo yote ni makampuni ya kenya yaliowekeza tz

mkuu hizo figa sio curent, tafuta data za mpaka mwanzoni mwa mwaka huu, hizo za 2006 na leo hii ni 2011. Kenya ni yapili kwa kuwekeza tanzania mkuu, waulize hata tic wakupe data,

figure zako ni za long sana mkuu, kenya ni ya pili baada ya uk

Naomba uniletee wewe mie nafahamu kwanini nimekupa figure za 2006. Haiwezekani Kenya wawazidi waingereza waliokuwapo nchini tangu 1980. Haiwezekani Kenya wawapite South Africa ambao wapo tangu 1990s. Mna matatizo nyie hampendi kukubali ukweli kazi yenu kuponda tu. Naona ndugu zanguni ndio mnafikiri kwa masaburi kwani haiwezekani South Africa apitwe na Kenya wakati TBL ndio mlipaji kodi wetu mkubwa, South Africa imewekeza kuanzia mining hadi telecommunication. Scandinavian countries wamewekeza katika constructions, CRDB, TTCL na sekta mbali mbali. Acheni uchumi wenu uchwara wa kujadili katika vijiwe vya pombe mkaaminishana. Lete data that proves your validity otherwise kaa kimya ndugu.

I'm always in TZ and i love it, the people are warm, weather is fine, business opportunities are many, to sum it up, its a great country.... I wish them the best. But for TZ to catch up with Kenya, a higher power has to press the pause button on Kenya for 30 years. Real talk

for those who say that Tz should put countries like SA on their scope and not dwarfs like Kenya are saying a good thing.. one thing you should note however is that goals, no matter what they are should be realistic, achievable and time bound..

talking about you surpassing our economy by 2030 is being unrealistic because the observation is fully based on Kenya not advancing economically for 19 good years.

What I'd really like to know is if Tanzania has any development plan and the implementation period, this will answer many of my questions.

Mkuu Smatta,

Angalia tena, report haijasema kuwa the Kenyan economy will be stagnated for 19 years, the reason why the Kenyan economy will be $217 Billion from the current $ 36 Billion is because of the growth trajectory that has been factored in. However, the Tanzanian economy will be $230 Billion if she will maintain her current 7% growth rate. Every thing is clear there...

..."With a GDP growth rate of seven per cent, Ms Khan’s projections put Tanzania in the sixth largest economy in the continent and first in East Africa at $230 billion.

By then, Kenya would have retarded to seventh position in Africa, one position behind Tanzania, with $217 billion GDP, Ms Khan’s projections show"....

I'm always in TZ and i love it, the people are warm, weather is fine, business opportunities are many, to sum it up, its a great country.... I wish them the best. But for TZ to catch up with Kenya, a higher power has to press the pause button on Kenya for 30 years. Real talk

for those who say that Tz should put countries like SA on their scope and not dwarfs like Kenya are saying a good thing.. one thing you should note however is that goals, no matter what they are should be realistic, achievable and time bound..

talking about you surpassing our economy by 2030 is being unrealistic because the observation is fully based on Kenya not advancing economically for 19 good years.

What I'd really like to know is if Tanzania has any development plan and the implementation period, this will answer many of my questions.

I have a similar doubts in that just like you. However that is to say my doubts will be over once I have some credible information that clears my concern.

In regards to GDP I think Kenyans do not believe how Tanzania is growing and they do not want to believe that at all. Latest projections of IMF (April 2011) GDP per capital shows this chart.

Kenya: 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

22px-Flag_of_Kenya.svg.png
Kenya

Tanzania : 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

22px-Flag_of_Tanzania.svg.png
Tanzania

The growth of GDP per capital show Kenya Growth is 29% (from 2011-2016) while Tanzania growth is 38% (revised data since last year 2010). Around 2022 or 2030 god willing Tanzania shall surpass Kenya unless something big happened to Tanzania like civil war god forbade but we are charging at full steam ahead.

Wakuu,

There is nothing wrong if Kenyan companies/investors are among the biggest investors in Tanzanian. This is how the market economy operates, legitimate Kenyan investors (those which have been registered and operate under Tanzanian investment laws) creates jobs, stimulates auxiliary economic activities, pay taxes and, or royalties to the government coffers through TRA. On top of that, the growth statistics will be added to the Tanzanian economy and not vice versa.

It is important to note that private investors(are not governments) they look to invest where they can make profit, they don't really care about fixing their home countries' economy first before going to invest in another country...

Report ya FDI kwa nchi za EAC mwaka huu inajieleza yenyewe hapa chini...

Tanzania has taken second position in foreign direct investment performance in East Africa, with Uganda maintaining the lead due to discovery of oil, according to the World Investment Report-2011.

In his remarks, Mbilinyi said: 'With the discovery of oil, Uganda has clearly led investment inflows followed by Tanzania.'

According to the report, FDI flows in EAC in different years were as follows: Tanzania (USD 679m) in 2008, USD 645m in 2009, and USD 700m in 2010: Kenya-USD 96m in 2008, USD 141m in 2009, and USD 133m in 2010: Uganda-USD 729m in 2008, USD 816m in 2009, and USD 846m.

FDI trend in other EAC countries was as follows; Rwanda-USD 103m in 2008, USD 119m in 2009, and USD 42m in 2010, and Burundi-USD 14m in 2008, USD 10m in 2009, and USD 14m in 2010..."

Source:
http://www.trademarksa.org/news/flow-fdi-tanzania-picks

BTW, Baada ya kusaini mkataba wa mradi wa Mchuchuma na Liganga mwezi uliopita wa $ 3 Billion sasa hivi China ndio nchi ambayo itakuwa inashika usukani kwa kuleta investment kubwa Tanzania.

MKUU UNATUMIA MASABURI KUFIKILIA? LETA HIZO DATA ZAKO HAPA MAKE HAPA C MAENEO YA POLOJO BALI NI FACT ZINATAKIWA.

CHEKI HIYO TAARIFA

[h=1]UK, Kenya leading investors in Tanzania[/h][Please note these articles below are for your information but are not necessarily written by ourselves.] The United Kingdom remains Tanzanian`s largest investor in terms of projects, employment and investment value, far ahead of South Africa, allegedly the country`s leading investor, The Guardian on Sunday has learnt.

Britain has 595 projects worth US$ 1,115m, with at least 232,030 jobs. South Africa, believed by many people as the country`s exclusively entrusted investor, is ranked the fourth largest in terms of investment value and the fifth in terms of projects. Its total investment value is US$ 466.58m on 111 projects that employ 14,243 people.

Kenya, however, has been one of Tanzania`s significant investors, ranked the second after the UK in terms of projects, employment and investment value, according to investment records disclosed by Tanzania Investment Centre (TIC) Executive Director, Emmanuel Ole Naiko to this paper. This places Kenya on top as East Africa�s regional economic powerhouse.

Available data from TIC - the country`s premier investment promoter, shows that Kenya has 249 projects valued US$ 958.21m, thus employing 37,511 people.

`Kenya is one of our biggest investors. They are almost everywhere - tourism, agriculture, manufacturing, transportation, commercial banks to name only but a few,`` the TIC chief explained.

South Africa comes after India, the third largest investor with investment valued at US$ 825.88m. Netherlands ranks the fifth investor with investments valued US$ 426.58m.

But China, despite being the sixth investor in terms of value, is becoming amongst the country`s prosperous investors. It has investments worth US$ 383.23m.

The USA, Germany, the UAE and Botswana have appeared in the list of top 10 investors. The four have total investment value of US$ 696.3m. Botswana`s sole investor is Mlimani Holdings - a property management company constructing a single big investment complex on the University of Dar es Salaam land.

The initial cost of building the now famous Mlimani City is estimated to be US$ 80m, sources say, but the cost has been rising for various reasons, one being the fall of the Shilling against foreign currencies.

``We are optimistic that more investment would be flowing in following our successful tour abroad. We have already started seeing significant progress as prospective investors are coming in,`` said Ole Naiko.

On the other hand, Tanzania has almost invested nothing abroad. TIC has not recorded any investment by its nationals abroad. Nor does it promote or sensitize local investors to go international.

This is quite different from aspiring countries such as South Africa whose Reserve Bank is ready to provide equity funds for its investors crossing its boarders.

``Our concern has been to attract investments into Tanzania because we do not have substantial investments here. You should recall that for a long time we were a centralized economy,`` he noted.

``We remained dormant on entrepreneurship and the private sector did not exist. In that regard, we did not encourage people going to invest outside. We preferred them to expand their investments at home as we invited foreign investors.``

Ole Naiko reiterated that it was now among its strategies to promote investments in various regions. President Jakaya Kikwete is in Rukwa, where among other activities is to attend the Rukwa region investors` conference.

Various conferences have already been conducted in various regions. More so TIC has opened its zonal centres to decentralize the task of promoting investments.

``We shall be in Rukwa to promote investments. The region is rich of minerals such as platinum and it is also very fertile with substantial land for large scale farming.

But also, it is a region facing big challenges such as infrastructure and competitions from its neighbouring regions - all these would be on the agenda,`` said Ole Naiko.

By Imani Lwinga
* SOURCE: Sunday Observer

Ina maana hawa TIC hawajui kuwa kuna kampuni za kitanzania zilizowekeza nje? SAID SALIM BAKHRESA (U) Ltd ya Kampala, Super Star Forwarders ya Kenya, nk.

Mwalimu wangu wa uchumi aliniambia niwe makini na statistics hesabu hizi huwa wakati mwingine zinatoa majibu yasiyo sahihi hebu chukua mfano alionipa ukichukua nusu ya kiwiliwili cha binadamu ukaweka kwenye friji na nusu ukaweka kwenye oven kagawanya kwa 2 utapata normal body temperature lakini matokeo yake huyo mtu atakuwa amekufa. Swali ambalo napenda kuwauliza wanauchumi ni kwamba ukichukua uchumi wa jumla Macro economy yaani chukua kipato kinachozalishwa na kina Bakresa jumlisha Manji jumlisha na cha machinga na ombaomba kama Matonya na ukagawanya kwa idadi ya watanzania utapata per capita income AMBAYO INARIDHISHA sasa uchumi wa Tanzania unakua .Tukiwauliza watanzania wengi mtaani watakujibu kwamba hali ni mbaya. Jee tuchukue lipi ? Tusishabikie takwimu bila kuzama kwa undani kuzichambua

Mwalimu wangu wa uchumi aliniambia niwe makini na statistics hesabu hizi huwa wakati mwingine zinatoa majibu yasiyo sahihi hebu chukua mfano alionipa ukichukua nusu ya kiwiliwili cha binadamu ukaweka kwenye friji na nusu ukaweka kwenye oven kagawanya kwa 2 utapata normal body temperature lakini matokeo yake huyo mtu atakuwa amekufa. Swali ambalo napenda kuwauliza wanauchumi ni kwamba ukichukua uchumi wa jumla Macro economy yaani chukua kipato kinachozalishwa na kina Bakresa jumlisha Manji jumlisha na cha machinga na ombaomba kama Matonya na ukagawanya kwa idadi ya watanzania utapata per capita income AMBAYO INARIDHISHA sasa uchumi wa Tanzania unakua .Tukiwauliza watanzania wengi mtaani watakujibu kwamba hali ni mbaya. Jee tuchukue lipi ? Tusishabikie takwimu bila kuzama kwa undani kuzichambua

Hatuzungumzii distribution of income or wealth katika nchi but tunazungumzia uchumi wa nchi nzima unakuwa au haukui ? Distribution of income or wealth is a crisis everywhere in the world. India nchi ya 10 duniani kwa uchumi imara lakini 70% ya wananchi ni maskini kushinda hata watanzania na wanaishi chini ya dola mmoja kwa siku. Brazil nchi ya saba kwa uchumi mkubwa duniani lakini 50% or 60% ni maskini wa kutupa na they live in less than a dollar a day. China nchi ya pili duniani kwa uchumi mkubwa lakini kuna watu karibu zaidi Bilioni 1 nchini china wanaishi chini ya poverty line. IN SUMMARY KATIKA NCHI YEYOTE INAYOKUWA KIUCHUMI KUNAHITAJIKA A BALANCE BETWEEN ECONOMIC GROWTH AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT. YOU EITHER HAVE STRONG ECONOMIC GROWTH AU STRONG SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT. Hivyo tatizo la maisha ya watu nchini litakuwapo kwa muda mrefu hata aje nani atakumbana nalo tu.

Nyerere alichagua Strong social development lakini matokeo yake tumeyaona the country went bankrupt, we became donor aid dependant country, productions stalls both agricultural and manufacturing etc. Matokeo nchi ikawa hoi bin taaban.

I have a similar doubts in that just like you. However that is to say my doubts will be over once I have some credible information that clears my concern.

In regards to GDP I think Kenyans do not believe how Tanzania is growing and they do not want to believe that at all. Latest projections of IMF (April 2011) GDP per capital shows this chart.

Kenya: 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

22px-Flag_of_Kenya.svg.png
Kenya

Tanzania : 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

22px-Flag_of_Tanzania.svg.png
Tanzania

The growth of GDP per capital show Kenya Growth is 29% (from 2011-2016) while Tanzania growth is 38% (revised data since last year 2010). Around 2022 or 2030 god willing Tanzania shall surpass Kenya unless something big happened to Tanzania like civil war god forbade but we are charging at full steam ahead.

Na kwa vile wamejiingiza katika vita, ninahakika tutawapita mwaka 2018.

Poleni kwa kujiingiza ktk vita isiyi na tija kwenu.

Tizameni mchango wa Zitto ulivyoendelevu sio nyie kila kitu kuponda tu .

[h=1]Zitto na Demokrasia[/h] Zitto na Demokrasia

[h=2]Imagining Tanzania: 5th largest Economy in Africa and largest in EAC by 2025[/h] with 6 comments

Zitto Kabwe

Few days ago I received an email from a friend about Standard Chartered Bank forecasts on the African Economies. The Bank listed 10 largest economies in Africa and did a simulation for 2030 using current growth rates. I immediately glanced into the report to find out how big Tanzanian economy would be in 2030 against its neighbours in the region and especially Kenya. Since I've recovered from my illness, thoughts about Tanzanian economy and how to address the poverty challenge has been lingering in my mind, so report came at a right time.

The report says Tanzanian economy is 7th in Africa at 64bn USD (PPP GDP) after South Africa (555), Nigeria (415), Angola (116), Ethiopia(95), Ghana (75) and Kenya (72) at top six and before Cameroon (47), Uganda (46) and Ivory Coast (36) making the rest in the top 10.

In their forecast Tanzania will be 6th largest economy by 2030 with a GDP of 230bn USD overtaking Kenya which will have a GDP of 217bn USD. At the top will be Nigeria (1640), South Africa (974), Ethiopia (375), Ghana (323) and Angola (293). This forecast assumes the current rate of growth of 7%.
However using USD GDP terms without equalising them for purchasing power Tanzanian economy is the 9th in Africa with a GDP of 23bn USD while Kenya's is 5th with 36bn USD and in 2030 Kenyan GDP is forecasted to be 109bn at the same position of 5th and Tanzania will move to 7th position with a GDP of 84bn USD. Currently Kenyan growth rate is 6% while that of Tanzania is 7%.
I am imagining our Tanzanian economy at 5th position and bigger than Kenyan in 2025. Dreaming? No. Tanzanian growth starts at a low base so for it to have a bigger economy than Kenya it has to grow faster than current growth and here i am talking about growth rate of between 8 – 10% over the coming decade. Three sectors of the Tanzanian economy would ensure this growth and these are Agriculture, Mining,Power(Electricity), Oil and Gas.
Agriculture in Tanzania forms 26% of the whole economy while almost 70% of the population depend on it for living. This makes Agriculture a crucial sector for poverty reduction. In various comments I have been making i call Agriculture with its supportive infrastructure as Rural economy. World Development Report 2008 reported that ‘GDP growth originating in agriculture is atleast twice as effective in reducing poverty as GDP growth originating outside agriculture'. For China effectiveness is reported to be 3.5 times (worldBank 2007) and hence in poverty was cut from 33% in 1978 to 15% in 1984 in that country.
My calculations put it that for Tanzanian economy to grow at 8% it requires agriculture to grow at 6% and a double digit growth of 10% requires 8% growth in agricultural sector. All these are achievable. It requires a strong leadership and commitment. Investment into rural economy in rural energy, rural water supply, rural roads and rural social services like education and health would spur growth and integrate rural economy with the rest of the economy (Tanzania is estimated to have an informal economy equal to 58% of its GDP).

I have suggested a motion in Parliament to declare 2012 a Sisal planting year in order to return Tanzania into a number one sisal exporter in th world. Sisal industry alone would generate 500 jobs and 300m USD export earnings if we hit 200,000 tons a year. Another initiative is needed for Cotton, Tea and Coffee. Efforts in food production in products like paddy, maize and sugar as well as beans and others would unleash potentials of the rural economy and reduce food inflation.
Increasing mining activities especially in coal, iron ore and copper and large scale natural gas processing for LNG trains will as well strengthen Tanzanian economy, massively increase its export earnings (by september 2011 Tanzanian import bill stands at 10.3bn USD while export receipts are 6.5bn USD), and make it a electricity surplus country.
If Tanzanian political leaders redirect their efforts towards The Economy and build an enabling environment through necessary reforms, ensure 8 – 10% growth for a coming decade, the country will be 5th largest African economy and 1st largest in East African Community not by 2030 but 2025. Are we taking the challenge? Do we even think of 2025 rather than 2015? I doubt……….
Africa in 2030

Careful though, as this quotation made by a German MP against UK looks too similar to behavior by our neighbor!

Volker Kauder accused Britain of being too self-centred in its relationship with Europe.

"Just looking for their own advantage and not being prepared to contribute - that cannot be the message we accept from the British!

Back
Top Bottom