Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

TZ doctors stike in the BMJ( british medical journal today)

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by phina, Jul 11, 2012.

1. phina

phina JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I am ashamed to be tanzanian.
    we sacking of those doctors has cost the taxpayer all that money..and for what??even crappier health care??
    if doctors are reading this we cannot stand back and watch how few people can dominate and dictate our lives for their benefit!we need to say enough is enough and fight back..

Wanaosema tuwaonee huruma wananchi kwa hiyo tusigome hamjui kwamab katika hospitali interns ndio 'punda' na bila wao ni sawa na hakuna! Hiyo serikali mnayoitetea imewaondolea leseni watu hao..kwa lipi??kumpigania mwananchi??
    serikali ishasema liwalo na liwe..hata siku moja tusifikirie serikali ipo upande wa mwananchi!!mwananchi ungana na madaktari sio kwa ajili ya kwako bali kwa ajili ya watoto wako.

This is not freedom..we have simply been passed on from one master to the other.
    Activicts out there..stand by us! Help us be heard!

Activists call for more measured response to Tanzanian doctors' strike
    BMJ 2012; 345 doi: 10.1136/bmj.e4698 (Published 10 July 2012)
    Cite this as: BMJ 2012;345:e4698
    ·
    Article
    ·
    Related content
    ·
    Article metrics
    1. Peter Moszynski
    Author Affiliations
    1.[SUP]1[/SUP]London
    Tanzania's fragile public healthcare system has been severely damaged by the government's approach to industrial relations, says a group of religious leaders, opposition politicians, and trade unionists. They are calling on the government to reconsider its decision last week to dismiss 300 striking doctors to try to resolve a long running dispute over pay and conditions.

Tanzania has one of the world's lowest ratios of doctors to population, with only one trained doctor per 30 000 people, the United Nations Development Programme says, so can ill afford to lose so much of its workforce. In the United Kingdom the proportion is one per 440 people, and in South Africa it is one per 1200.

A ninth of Tanzanian children die before their fifth birthday. One in 24 Tanzanian mothers will die during childbirth.
    Junior doctors in state hospitals have been involved in a series of strikes since last January. The government has dismissed doctors' demands that their salaries be tripled-from 950 000 Tanzanian shillings (£390; €490; $620) a month to 3.5 million shillings-and has offered a maximum of 1.2 million shillings, noting that doctors already earn double the average salary of other public sector workers.
    The government obtained an injunction against the strike on 22 June, which was largely ignored; and then the situation was greatly inflamed by the mysterious kidnap and beating of the striking doctors' leader, Stephen Ulimboka.

Ulimboka was found bound, gagged, and badly injured in Pande forest on the outskirts of Dar es Salaam the day after being kidnapped by unknown assailants on 26 June. He is currently in intensive care in hospital in Johannesburg after having been flown out of the country for his safety, said the secretary general of the Medical Association of Tanzania, Edwin Chitage.

The government has denied any involvement, but last week an opposition spokesman used parliamentary privilege to name a policeman from the Criminal Investigation Department whom Ulimboka had claimed was one of his assailants and called for an independent inquiry.

On 7 July a group of religious leaders and activists issued five conditions to the government that they suggested were needed to end the dispute. These included withdrawal of the lawsuit on the strike filed by the government at the High Court, reinstating all sacked doctors, and resumption of negotiations. They also demanded that the government give assurances on the security of doctors and the establishment of an independent commission of inquiry to investigate the kidnapping of Ulimboka.

The local Guardian on Sunday newspaper estimates the average cost of training a doctor in Tanzania at $40 000, which means that the 300 doctors sacked last week cost the taxpayer $12m to train.

One of the strikers' supporters told the BMJ: "There are many countries nearby and further afield who would be happy to receive more doctors, especially when they have not paid a penny for their training. If Tanzania wishes to retain their highly educated and skilled native doctors they must surely find a way out of their current impasse. Beating doctors into submission seems an ill advised way of going about this."

[FONT=&amp][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Sacking doctors who cost Sh20bn. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]www.ippmedia.com/frontend/index.php?l=43405[/FONT][FONT=&amp].[/FONT]

Attached Files:

2. kiraia

kiraia JF Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Atakuwa kagame huyu

3. phina

phina JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    the point is hawa madaktari wamesomeshwa na watanzania and they should work for the tanzanians.of what use was all that money used to train them if they will not work for the tanzanians??
    wote wakipoteza uzalendo na kwenda kwa kagame..sisi tutabaki na nani??wenzetu wanaenda aga khan na india

4. h

hippocratessocrates JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    the doctors suggested a rise to 3.5mil Tshs, as one of the strike claims, AND NOT THE ONLY CLAIM, i think it could be fair for justice to be done, by the Tanzanian Goverment to speak the truth..else the forum thru media could be made from Doctors' spokesman and Goverment's..!! else many Tanzanian will keep on dying while doctors are shiping out, if we have failed to think morally, spirtualwise atleast let's do it intellectually.

5. M

Mokerema JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    The government is being run by junky people. Travelling all over the world I have not come across unemployed Doctors! This can only happen in only one country that is Tanzania. The president has gone to London to attend a population conference what is the purpose if you take on board all the statistics in the British Medical Journal?

Thoes being denied registration by Hussein Mwinyi the Zanzibari Minister mind you Health Ministry is not a Union Matter so be aware of the repercussions. I can't continue writing !,!,

6. phina

phina JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012

makes me wonder what role the media has in this!!they have been so biased....sijui ndio poor training ama they are siding with Goliath from scratch??

7. h

hippocratessocrates JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Phina..you dont blame the bank accountant just bse the network is down,(you blame the system or bank manager).i.e considering african and precisely speaking Tanzanian families, it is very difficult to convice the children that their father didnt bring food home for his poor house wife and kids, while they see you cooking the food daily at home!..

This is what is on Tanzanians mind, how can you blame someone you didnt have a contract with? worse blame without knowing the claims, it really shows our highest degree of idiotic minds.

As citizen you elect leaders, now it is responsibilty of someone you elected to guide you in good services, what kind of G'ment deals with matter of life and death for over 8months and yet to call it emergency?now imagine if this would not touch direct lives of citizens, ..i bet it would take ages!q

8. phina

phina JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    i feel you..if you keep writing u will pound the keyboard to pieces kwa sababu ya hasira

ivi..why do we keep up with junky people??it is time for changes..i have reached a point at which i do not care how we get there but we need transformationz..MAJOR ones!i have had enough..and it is time every one feels the same!

9. phina

phina JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    i am positive no one is happy with the system afraid that we will get into trouble if we challenge them as long as we are afraid we will not achieve anything..never!i wish i could pass on to everyone my belief in us..we are capable of so much more than begging day in and out,living for mouth to mouth.if who ever is in power is not delivering..off they should go-we have nothing to loose but try another option..

10. POMPO

POMPO JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Dhaifu kaamua kuonyesha udhaifu wake duniani,

11. Wachovu

Wachovu JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Shida kubwa ni huyu Shiettwani Waziri Mwinyi huyu bwana sijui wamemtoa wapi ? Kuongozwa na Mizanzibari sijui wamemtoa wapi , na wanamtayarisha kutawala. Hana Akili na Dhaifu mwenzake

12. Puppy

Puppy JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Let's take it to the Road, The only way they will Watch and Learn.

13. U

Unstoppable JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Matatizo ya madaktari na serikali mbona yameanza kabla Mwinyi hajapewa hii wizara? Is it fair kumbebesha lawama Dr. Mwinyi? Nafikiri tuanzie kwenye mzizi wa tatizo. Naamini hata kama Mwinyi angekuwa na best solution asingeweza ku-implement nchini ya JK. (A leader sets the tone in an institution/organization). Ukisha set tone ya visasi na ubabe; walioko chini yako hawataweza kwenda very far from your ideas or else resign. Kiongozi/bosi wa Dr. Mwinyi ameshamfelisha to the maximum- sidhani kama anajua pakuanzia ku-resolve hii saga.

14. Mwanahisa

Mwanahisa JF-Expert Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Its so sad, the world is watching the whole saga. A ratio of 1 doc serving a population of 30,000ppl. Though I might not be a doctor but this time DOCTOR's should turn to my prescription. Get out of this mess, why? A mere vendor at K'koo just nearby your office would earn $620 per month without a claim of smelling blood neither a strike. Why toasting yourselves with a so called UZALENDO ( Profession Rx Politics)? Go home and unlock opportunities, will mzee Mwasapila (Pastor) ever think of living this country full of supportive government and its people? I' bet NOT even a single idea to his mind. Why you Phina and your fellows?