Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Two more Kenyans jailed in US scam

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Smatta, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Two more members of a Kenyan fraud ring have been sentenced to prison in the United States for trying to steal more than $3 million from state governments.

Michael Ochenge, 33, received a four-year term, and Albert Gunga, 31, was given 10 months on Friday by a federal judge in the state of West Virginia.

The two men, who live in the state of Minnesota, will also likely be deported to Kenya once their terms are served, as will other Kenyans convicted in the scam.

Ochenge and Gunga had pleaded guilty in May to conspiracy to commit money laundering.

They took part in a scheme plotted in Kenya to divert payments intended for US companies that had done work for the state governments of West Virginia, Kansas, Massachusetts, Florida and Ohio.

[​IMG]

Photo of Angella Chegge-Kraszeski as published in the Charleston Gazette newspaper in US

A total of $772,000 was embezzled to accounts in Nairobi before the fraud was discovered. US authorities intervened before the Kenyans could wire another $2.6 million in stolen funds to the ringleaders in Kenya.

Three other members of the conspiracy were sentenced last week to a total of more than 11-and-a-half years in prison.

Yet another Kenyan, Angella Chegge-Kraszeski, is due to learn her punishment next Tuesday for her key role in the plot.

Chegge-Kraszeski, who pleaded guilty last year, helped organise the ring after the Kenya-based masterminds of the scam gave her a false passport during a visit to Kenya in 2008.

The 34-year-old Kenyan resident of the state of North Carolina testified on Thursday that she agreed to take part in the fraud out of fear that her handlers in Kenya might harm her son, who still lives in the country.

"I was led to believe that my son was in danger," Chegge-Kraszeski told the court, according to a report in Friday's edition of the Charleston (West Virginia) Gazette.

But Robert Otiso, sentenced last week to six years in prison for involvement in the scam, said in court this week that he knew of no danger to Chegge-Kraszeski's son.

Otiso suggested Chegge-Kraszeski might instead have been motivated by hopes of illicit financial gains, the Charleston Gazette reported.

“I think she was going to get something," he said. "She wasn't doing it for free.”

Source: The Daily Nation

2. Pape

Pape JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Poleni jirani zetu! Ndiyo maisha hayo!

3. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Ni tamaa tu nyingi, they are giving Kenyans a bad name.. karibuni tutalinganishwa na ndugu zetu wa Nigeria.

4. K

Kakalende JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Nigerians watch out!

It seems Kenyans are catching up with you guys.

5. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Hehehehe,... Real deal, they had already sent $772,000 home, I think that was enough considering the risks involved, they could have bought plots in Mlolongo and build apartments, but greed clouded their judgment.

AB, wawafahamu hawa?

6. Nyaralego

Nyaralego JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    I know people who know these people! It is indeed only 6 dgrees of separation.

7. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Uliona kijana wetu Rudisha alivyovunja recodi ya 800m kukimbia? Thats how we market East Africa, what does tanzania do? Nausiniambie tourism, sisi wote tunafanya hiyo... damn we are agressive.

8. The Quonquerer

The Quonquerer JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Nobody has asked you to market The United Republic of Tanzania, just market your Kenya, i would rather stay unknown than being a renowned bank robber or drug dealer. At the end of it, you get caught and jailed and killed....retards!

9. Ab-Titchaz

Ab-Titchaz Content Manager Staff Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Smatta,

I dont know these folks lakini mmmhhh!!!...wakenya samtaimu wanavituko kweli. Ni heri kukaa mbali nao.
    Ever since Filipo's case out here i sip my beer from the confines of my crib. Hii mambo ya 'kupewa' bila
    mpango yanaweza kukutokea puani...as is the case here. Mofo's will do time then get deported back to
    the Jamhuri to deal with reality. I hope they had made themselves a substantial cut to pick themselves
    up from this debacle.

Regards.

10. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Definitely son, they must have stashed something here in Kenya.. this cant be their first hit, if it is then let them fry in the pokey. I loled hapo uliposema ni heri kukaa mbali na waKenya, you know better than to stereotype your brothers..

11. pmwasyoke

pmwasyoke JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    This is not related to the thread at all.

12. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    So what are you trying to say, that i just mentioned Rudisha for no reason? grow up. and read the thread before posting... nkt

13. Ab-Titchaz

Ab-Titchaz Content Manager Staff Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Morio,

it is not about stereotyping but what reality has hit the fan. Yaani kila mkikaa na mtu unasikia stori
    za dili tu....then you wonder what happened to making legit bread? Kuna mwengine alikua na hayo
    mambo ya kununua ngano na kujitanua on the East Coast. Mara sijui kuliendaje polisi wakam-pull over
    for DUI na walipopekua gari lake wakakuta vibugizi kibao and he had a lot of cash on him too. Next move
    wakamwambie itabidi waende kwake nyumbani for further investigation..the fool complied. At home
    they more and more pills and the rest is history. Jamaa ananyelea debe sehemu. Akimaliza kifungo
    msubirini hapo Nairobi maana anakuja!

Kwa hivyo Im cool with fellows from the Jamhuri but only the legit kind. We have beer invite each
    other home and the like. Kama sikujui then I dont 'mix'...what you dont know wont hurt you..ama?

14. eliakeem

eliakeem JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Two more Kenyans jailed in US scam

Dont wonder, to knyns this is their real meaning of AGGRESSIVE. FOR THEM STEALING (OTHER PEOPLE'S PROPERTIES) IS AGGRESSIVENESS. AND THIS HAS NOT STARTED YESTERDAY OR EVEN THE DAY BEFORE, THEY HAVE INHERITED FROM THEIR LOVELY PAPA KENYATTA (THE FATHER OF GREEDY AND IMPUNITY IN KENYA), KENYATTA ASINGEKUWA RAIS ANGEKUWA JAMBAZI.

15. Smatta

Smatta JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    slow down Eliakeem,

16. eliakeem

eliakeem JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Is not your fault smatta, the founder is responsible on this.

17. pmwasyoke

pmwasyoke JF-Expert Member

Aug 31, 2010
    I guess I goofed there