Transfer news...

United want to keep Macheda at Old Trafford, claims agent

Published 12:05 04/06/11 By Football Spy

man-utd-federico-macheda-cropped

Manchester United want to keep Federico Macheda at Old Trafford next season, claims the player's agent.
The 19 year-old spent much of last season on loan at Sampdoria, but again Giovanni Bia told an Italian radio station:
"As far as I am aware, Manchester United intend to keep Macheda.
"They don't want to loan him out again."

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/profile/?uAction=register

Transfer news, rumours and gossip from Saturday's papers

Published 11:14 04/06/11 By Football Spy

PaperTalk.jpg

Transfer rumours from today's Daily Mirror
Henderson in a hurry to join Liverpool
Hamburg plotting another raid on Chelsea
Brazilians reject £10.3m bid for Spurs target
Grumbling Gunner dying to leave England
Three clubs chasing Villa's Warnock
Diouf fancies Allardyce reunion at West Ham
Transfer news, rumours and gossip from Saturday's papers

Published 11:14 04/06/11 By Football Spy

PaperTalk.jpg

Transfer rumours from today's Daily Mirror
Henderson in a hurry to join Liverpool
Hamburg plotting another raid on Chelsea
Brazilians reject £10.3m bid for Spurs target
Grumbling Gunner dying to leave England
Three clubs chasing Villa's Warnock
Diouf fancies Allardyce reunion at West Ham

Norwich will have to raise bid for Leeds star to £5million
Agent drops hint that Tevez could stay at City
Bolton eager to borrow Sturridge again next season
Lehmann linked with Bundesliga move
Ormerod agrees new Blackpool contract
Spurs agree two-year deal with Friedel
Manager news and gossip
Jol ready to be Fulham boss - one year on

Wigan offer Martinez new deal to ward off Villa
Chelsea's Terry gushes over Guus
Houllier admits: I had to leave Villa
Manager news and gossip from other papers
Arsenal could make a shock move for striker Jermain Defoe ( Daily Star)
Spurs are in pole position to land West Ham midfielder Scott Parker (Daily Mail)
Liverpool have offered £8m for 18-year-old Ipswich striker Connor Wickham (The Independent)
10 things you need to know about Connor Wickham plus video of him in action
Paris Saint-Germain will move for for Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov (Daily Mail)
Sunderland want to sign Manchester United pair Darron Gibson and Wes Brown (Daily Mail)
Birmingham have told Sunderland that Roger Johnson will cost £14m (Daily Mail)
AC Milan are preparing a double swoop for Didier Drogba and Emmanuel Adebayor (Daily Mail)
Newcastle, Everton and Celtic are set to battle for Reading striker Shane Long (Daily Mail)
Liverpool, Everton and Aston Villa are showing interest in Monaco striker Park Chu-Young (Daily Mail)
Birmingham goalkeeper Ben Foster could replace Brad Friedel at Aston Villa (Daily Express)
West Brom are considering a £3million offer their former goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszcza k (Daily Mail)
Norwich have beaten Sunderland to former Leeds midfielder Bradley Johnson (The Sun)
Swansea have tabled a £3million bid for Watford striker Danny Graham (Daily Mail)
Peter Odemwingie could move to Arsenal after West Brom made an approach for Watford's Danny Graham (Metro)
Neymar looks set to remain at his club Santos rather than move to Chelsea (Metro)
Udinese star Alexis Sanchez would rather join Inter Milan or Barcelona than Manchester City (talkSPORT)
Top 10 things you need to know about Alexis Sanchez

Chelsea ampandia dau Luka Modric LONDON, Uingereza KLABU ya Chelsea iko tayari kutoa ofa ya mshahara wa pauni 130,000 kwa mshambuliaji, Luka Modric kama atasaini kuchezea Stamford Bridge.Mchezaji huyo kutoka Croatia, amekuwa akilipwa pauni 50,000 kwa wiki White Hart Lane. Blues inatumaini kusaini mkataba wa kumpata mchezaji huyo, anayekadiriwa kuwa na thamani ya pauni milioni 15. Chelsea inataka kuongeza wachezaji wenye ufundi katika kikosi chake, ambacho msimu uliopita hakikupata kombe. Nyota huyo wa Spurs, bado amebakiza miaka mitatu na ni mmoja wachezaji walio juu kwenye orodha akiwa na uwezo wa kucheza pembeni na katika winga. Chanzo kilichopo ndani ya Chelsea kilisema: "Kwa kutokuwa na kocha hakuwezi kufanya kitu chochote kwenda taratibu. "Kuna orodha ya wachezaji ya kuwasaini na Modric ni mchezaji mzuri." Nahodha wa Blues, John Terry ana matumaini kuwa wachezaji wapya watasaidia timu kufanya vizuri. Terry alisema: "Tuliwasaini wachezaji wawili wa kusisimua Januari, Fernando Torres na David Luiz. Waliisaidia klabu, tunatumaini kuwa kutakuwa na wachezaji wengine.

[bold]EXCLUSIVE: Arsenal to go for Defoe[bold] Published 23:03 15/06/11 By Darren Lewis (3) Recommend (1) Tottenham-Hotspur-v-Charlton-Athletic-FA-Cup-3rd-Round-Jermain-Defo cropped Arsenal are lining up a sensational bid to bag Jermain Defoe from arch-rivals Tottenham. The England forward is looking at his options after being frozen out at White Hart Lane last season. Tottenham are understood to be willing to listen to offers for the man who started only 16 League games. The striker, signed for £15.75million from Portsmouth two years ago, could now become the fox in the box the Gunners have long been crying out for. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis have both insisted the club will be far busier this summer than they have been in recent transfer windows. With Nicklas Bendtner having declared his intention to quit the Emirates, Wenger is hunting a top-class marksman to give some cutting edge to his team’s play. While the signing of Defoe, 27, would require the player to cross the bitter north London divide, the stark reality is he was a fringe player at White Hart Lane last season but would have much to offer at the Emirates. Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is already targeting at least two experienced strikers to freshen up the Tottenham front line. Redknapp is keen on Manchester City’s Emmanuel Adebayor, Chelsea’s Didier Drogba and has had bids for Internacional’s Leandro Damiao and Espanyol’s Pablo Osvaldo turned down. Defoe has two and a half years left on his contract but Spurs have shown no inclination to tie him to a new deal. Although Redknapp has been critical of his side's lack of goals this season, they are felt to have played more to the strengths of big Peter Crouch rather than diminutive Defoe. Arsenal’s late-season collapse after their Carling Cup Final defeat in February condemned them to a sixth campaign without any silverware and means they face an August play-off to reach the Champions League's group stage.

Spurs reject £22million offer for Modric but bid for potential replacement (PLUS video) Published 23:01 15/06/11 By Darren Lewis Recommend Luka Modric-Tottenham cropped Luka Modric's future was again uncertain last night, despite Chelsea having a reported £22million bid turned down. Spurs, who would expect £30m for the Croatian star, had an approach for Werder Bremen's Marko Marin rejected. Marin, a 22-year-old attacking midfielder, who can also play as a winger, has also been targeted by *Liverpool. But Marin's agent, Fali Ramadani, said: "Marko rejected both teams and Werder hinted they would not sell him at this time." Spurs are well aware that Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City can triple Modric's £40,000-a-week wages. And the player himself has gone on record to admit he could be ready to quit Spurs this summer for a team ready to offer him Champions League football. Confirmation of the move for Marin suggests the north Londoners are looking at *replacements for Modric. Marin, who cost Bremen £7.5m from Borussia Moenchengladbach in 2009, has two years left on his current deal. Athough his club have rejected Tottenham's initial interest, Marin has admitted he would be willing to leave Bremen should they receive and offer they cannot refuse. "If the club receives an offer and decides to sell me, that is another situation," he said. "Until then, I am happy here. "I want to stay at Werder. I feel good at Bremen. I have never had the urge to leave. I want to be successful here, and that is my only aim." Here's some video of Marin doing his thing:

Spurs reject £22million offer for Modric but bid for potential replacement (PLUS video) Published 23:01 15/06/11 By Darren Lewis Recommend Luka Modric-Tottenham cropped Luka Modric's future was again uncertain last night, despite Chelsea having a reported £22million bid turned down. Spurs, who would expect £30m for the Croatian star, had an approach for Werder Bremen's Marko Marin rejected.

Marin, a 22-year-old attacking midfielder, who can also play as a winger, has also been targeted by *Liverpool. But Marin's agent, Fali Ramadani, said: "Marko rejected both teams and Werder hinted they would not sell him at this time." Spurs are well aware that Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City can triple Modric's £40,000-a-week wages.

And the player himself has gone on record to admit he could be ready to quit Spurs this summer for a team ready to offer him Champions League football. Confirmation of the move for Marin suggests the north Londoners are looking at *replacements for Modric. Marin, who cost Bremen £7.5m from Borussia Moenchengladbach in 2009, has two years left on his current deal.

Athough his club have rejected Tottenham's initial interest, Marin has admitted he would be willing to leave Bremen should they receive and offer they cannot refuse. "If the club receives an offer and decides to sell me, that is another situation," he said. "Until then, I am happy here.

"I want to stay at Werder. I feel good at Bremen. I have never had the urge to leave. I want to be successful here, and that is my only aim."

Blackburn going for Adebayor in £30m spree Published 23:01 15/06/11 By David Anderson Recommend (1) Manchester-City-v-KKS-Lech-Poznan-UEFA-Europa-League-Emmanuel-Adebayor-cropped Blackburn manager Steve Kean is targeting Emmanuel Adebayor as he jets home from India today armed with a £30million warchest.

Kean has spent the last five days discussing his summer spending plans with owners Venky's and they have approved all the names on his hit-list. Kean's top priority is signing a big-name striker and Adebayor tops the list, along with Roma's Mirko Vucinic and Amauri of Juventus. Manchester City are desperate to offload Adebayor, just two years after splashing out £25million to sign him from Arsenal.

Real Madrid failed to exercise the option to make his loan spell permanent before Monday's deadline. City may now accept as little as £10m for Adebayor, with manager Roberto Mancini adamant he does not want the player back at their Carrington base for pre-season training. He would be a cheaper option than Vucinic as Roma are demanding £16million for the Montenegro international, who is also a target for Juventus.

Kean intends to be busy this summer and is also eyeing up Aston Villa's James Collins and Birmingham's Roger Johnson to replace Manchester United new boy Phil Jones. Rovers have also tried to hijack Miranda's free-agent switch from Brazilian champions Sao Paulo to Atletico Madrid by offering to double his wages, but the Brazilian defender is expected to honour his pre-contract agreement with the Spanish outfit.

Another option is Diego Novaretti, an Argentine defender playing for Mexican side Toluca who has been offered to Blackburn. Blackburn are also vying with Sunderland to sign Sebastian Larsson, the Swedish winger who is a free agent after seeing out his contract with Birmingham.

Chelsea on Hiddink: Talks are going very well Published 23:01 15/06/11 By Martin Lipton Recommend Guus Hiddink-cropped Guus Hiddink is set to be installed as Carlo Ancelotti’s Chelsea successor next week after Blues chief executive Ron Gourlay hinted an agreement has almost been reached. Dutch veteran Hiddink returned to Europe from his break in South Korea yesterday, while Gourlay is currently in the Far East. With the resignation of Turkish Football Federation chief Mahmut Ozgener easing Hiddink’s way out of Istanbul, the 64-year-old seems poised to be confirmed for a second spell in the Stamford Bridge hotseat within the next seven days. And Gourlay, in Kuala Lumpur ahead of Chelsea’s summer tour, signaled the direction of travel as he said: “The process is moving along very well. “I said on Tuesday that we would look to have a new coach in place maybe within the week to two weeks. If that happens sooner then I’d be absolutely delighted and we are certainly working to a week to two weeks but it could be sooner.” Gourlay sent out a dismissive official verdict on sacked Ancelotti’s second season at the club as he added: “Our target is very much to be back competing. “Last year was a difficult year for us. We came off the back of a very successful year winning the Double, the most successful year we’ve had ever as a football club. “That brings a lot of challenges for the football club and the expectations are very high and it’s fair to say our performances and results didn’t meet the expectations of the football club. “All that is history now and we will move on. We expect to be competing for all major trophies next season, that’s our goal. “We will strengthen the side if the correct players become available that allow us to strengthen our side but the basis of the team will be very much the same as we have in place today.” Former Chelsea boss Ruud Gullit said last night he was bemused by his dismissal as coach of Russian side Terek Grozny. Gullit was relieved of his duties after just five months in charge. Terek president Ramzan Kadyrov had warned Gullit that defeat would result in his axing after complaining the 48-year-old had been more concerned with “thinking about bars and discos”. “This is all such a crazy story,” said Gullit. “I don’t know if I’ve been fired, but I’ve already said goodbye. “I really have to laugh. I knew this was no ordinary country and no ordinary football league. But it’s all been too bizarre for words.”

City lead race for Sanchez - Udinese (PLUS video) Published 23:01 15/06/11 By David Anderson (6) Recommend Football-European10-1.jpg Manchester City have been backed to beat Manchester United to Chile sensation Alexis Sanchez by his club, Udinese. Udinese owner Gianpaolo Pozzo claims City are leading the race for this summer's hottest transfer target, despite him meeting United chief executive David Gill for talks on Tuesday. United have said they will match City's £27million offer for Sanchez and Pozzo expects Roberto Mancini to outbid Sir Alex Ferguson. "I think there is a 50% chance that he will stay in Udine," said Pozzo. "However, if he was to leave, I would say City have the highest probability of success." Udinese want at least £32m for their prized asset and Pozzo wants to spark an auction with Inter Milan, Barcelona and Juventus all keen. However, those three clubs have failed to match the bids made by City and United during talks with Udinese. Pozzo said: "Concrete offers regarding the real value of the player have not arrived yet. "We did speak to Inter, but we have not spoken to them since to reach an agreement. Things are nevertheless done at the last minute." City's bid has been complicated by Wladimir Weiss refusing to be a makeweight in the deal and the Blues valued him at £4.4mi in the package. The Slovakia international winger does not want to move to Italy - he would prefer a switch to Spain, where is wanted by Espanyol - but City will not let that deflect them when Sanchez is Mancini's No.1 summer target. City's negotiating team of CEO Garry Cook and football administrator Brian Marwood met Pozzo on Monday and are ready for fresh talks. They are ready to offer Sanchez a five-year deal worth over £100,000-a-week. They believe their offer would be attractive to Sanchez, despite the South American's preference to remain in Italy or move to Spain. However Udinese consultant Stefano Antonelli told Mirror Sport late last night that the Catalan giants have now upped the ante. He said: “Barca’s very powerful push onto the scene has changed the scenario.” Top 10 things you need to know about United, City and Barca target Alexis Sanchez And here's some video showing what the fuss is all about:

Stoke lining up £10m raid on Sunderland Published 23:01 15/06/11 By Alan Nixon - EXCLUSIVE (1) Recommend Sunderland-West-Brom-Asamoah-Gyan-Nicky-Shorey-Premier-League cropped Stoke are ready to test Sunderland’s resolve to keep Asamoah Gyan – and launch a £10million bid. The losing FA Cup finalists are giving boss Tony Pulis cash for a top-class signing and can offer the Ghanaian goalscorer big wages and a crack at European football next season. Stoke have been alerted by an e-mail from a North East agent that big-money Gyan was available and they will make an offer to see how much he will cost. Gyan has been linked with several clubs at home and abroad in recent months. But Stoke have the cash clout - and also took Kenwyne Jones from Sunderland when their money talked last summer. Sunderland supemo Niall Quinn tried to distance himself from the e-mail, pointing the finger at the agent involved and claiming that he was working without the club’s permission. MirrorSport has confirmed with several clubs that the e-mail was sent and includes Gyan’s name among a dozen or more others, many of these ‘for sale’ without their knowledge. As one respected official said: “Clubs often do this, using agents to test the water. It gives them deniability. But it is very unusual when it comes to us in writing.” Gyan only joined Steve Bruce’s club a year ago in a major move from French side Rennes and his form has blown hot and cold since.

Tottenham Hotspur turn down £22m Chelsea bid for Luka Modric • Manchester clubs may join chase for Croatian midfielder • Tottenham manager wants to keep club's premier players Jamie Jackson The Guardian, Thursday 16 June 2011 Article history LUKA MODRIC Chelsea's opening salvo could start a bidding war for Luka Modric, who is wanted by Manchester City and Manchester United. Photograph: Richard Sellers/Sportsphoto Chelsea have had a £22m offer for Luka Modric rejected by Tottenham Hotspur, according to reports last night, in a move that could ignite a bidding war between the Premier League's three richest clubs as Manchester City and Manchester United also retain a keen interest in the Croatian playmaker. The formal approach by Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner, was made late yesterday afternoon but was rejected without consideration by the Tottenham chairman, Daniel Levy. While he may wish to keep Modric, who is considered the club's best player alongside Gareth Bale, and has publicly said alongside Harry Redknapp, the manager, that there is no desire to sell any of the club's premier players this summer, Levy has also proved a canny operator in the transfer market. He may be waiting to see who else joins the race to sign the 25-year-old with Levy shrewd enough to acknowledge that the growing interest in a player dubbed "Little Mozart", due to his sublime talent, could ultimately prove impossible to keep him at White Hart Lane. Unlike last season Tottenham will not be featuring in the Champions League during the next campaign and Modric's preference is to continue playing in club football's elite competition. While his agent could not be reached last night Modric recently conceded that his future was unsure. "I'm a Tottenham player and will be in London on July 7 to begin preparing for the season," he said. "But I want to say that transfers could occur later. In England it is often the case they happen on the last day of the transfer period, August 31. So it is pointless to worry about anything now. If my situation changes after the start of preparation, it would not be a problem. You can't predict things in football because anything can happen. But I am enjoying it here." Although Abramovich has yet to appoint a successor to Carlo Ancelotti the need to rebuild at Stamford Bridge is the prime objective for the Russian this summer. While Modric would be a key part of this programme Chelsea will be conscious that his current contract, which expires in 2016, is said to be worth only £40,000 a week, so the offer of a salary of £100,000 or more would prove tempting. With Liverpool and Manchester United having just paid £18m for Jordan Henderson and Phil Jones, respectively, Modric as an established Premier League and international performer is arguably worth considerably more than the £22m offered by Chelsea and so the west London club can be expected to increase their offer markedly. Any bid of £30m or more would force Levy into giving serious consideration to allowing the sale, with West Ham United's Scott Parker, of whom Redknapp is a keen admirer, the potential replacement. That may risk upsetting Redknapp, who recently declared his desire to keep Modric. "We want to keep him here and build a team round Luka," the Spurs manager said. "If you start thinking about selling your best players, you might as well give up. What's the point in carrying on? It effectively sends out all the wrong signals. And, when one player leaves, the rest want to follow him straight out the door. Then you have a situation where the quality of football goes into decline and you're going backwards on the pitch."

Cesc Fábregas: I don't know if Arsenal want to sell me or not • My future is in Arsène Wenger's hands, says Spaniard • Barcelona guarantee titles but I'm happy at Arsenal Share40 Reddit Buzz up Jamie Jackson guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 15 June 2011 21.03 BST Article history fabregas Arsenal's Spanish midfielder Cesc Fábregas is praying for the right decision over his future. Photograph: Adrian Dennis/AFP/Getty Images Cesc Fábregas has said his future as an Arsenal player is up in the air, admitting he does not know if the club wishes to sell him and revealing his frustrations after another trophyless season at the Emirates. Speculation that the 24-year-old will return to Barcelona – after he signed for Arsenal from the Catalan club in 2003 – has gone on for the past two years. While Fábregas was careful to choose his words he did admit to his dissatisfaction at being at a club that has not won anything since 2005 but said his future will be decided by Arsène Wenger, the manager. "Barcelona are the best team in the world and going there guarantees titles. Any player who says he is not frustrated at not winning titles is lying," said Fábregas yesterday. "I am ambitious. But I owe myself to Arsenal. I have not spoken to the manager – he is the boss, he takes decisions and I don't know if they want to sell me or not. "Everyone sees things in a different way but in these decisions, not everything depends on the player. I am not going to talk about any team but I can't say no to anyone because you never know what could happen in the future. If I said anything else it would be a lie, it would give rise to speculation that is not true. "I have values and after all that I have lived in eight years I am not going to say a word that would ruin everything. I have always acted with discretion. I am very happy at Arsenal." The statement underlines the sense at Arsenal that their captain is intent on a move back to his boyhood club. Bacary Sagna, the right-back, became the first player to break rank and concede as much on French radio on Tuesday. The Frenchman said: "Compared to last year, yes, it's true there are chances of him leaving. I can say it's true that Cesc wants to go to Barça. Cesc needs to return to his country, to his home to rejoin his family. He needs to play for one of the best teams in the world, which is Barcelona. One can understand that. But for the moment he's still our captain at Arsenal." Whether Barcelona can afford to buy Fábregas is moot. The Spaniard signed a five-year deal last year worth around £110,000 a week which suggests any fee for a player who, despite having already won the European Championship and World Cup, may approach his peak over the coming five years could be more than £50m. There is hope at the Camp Nou that Arsenal might accept a sizeable fee plus two or three players from the La Masía academy where Fábregas developed, yet whether this would be acceptable to Wenger and the club's supporters is debatable. The manager would be lothth to start a summer of recruitment that is crucial to his hopes of ending Arsenal's six-year trophy drought by allowing Fábregas to leave due to the negative signal this would offer to their rivals. So, if Fábregas does depart it may be later in the summer, if the manager can first make two or three marquee signings. Wenger received news regarding the future of Fábregas's team-mate, Samir Nasri, after his agent said the midfielder could remain at Arsenal following speculation that the Frenchman may leave, possibly for Manchester United. Alain Migliaccio told calciomercatoweb: "There has been no break with Arsenal over the contract renewal and we should meet again soon with Wenger. There are a few clubs interested in Samir but it is useless to name them. Before listening to other teams, we need and want to talk with Arsenal."

[h=1]Ashley Young close to signing for Manchester United for estimated £15m[/h] • Winger undergoing medical after move from Aston Villa
• Young has agreed personal terms at Old Trafford

• Daniel Taylor
  • guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 22 June 2011 17.59 BST Article history
    Ashley-Young-joining-Manc-007.jpg
    Ashley Young's arrival at Manchester United will give Sir Alex Ferguson more variety in attack. Photograph: Tom Jenkins for the Guardian

Ashley Young's transfer from Aston Villa to Manchester United is close to being completed after the England international travelled north to undergo his medical examination on Wednesday.
    Young has already agreed personal terms and, if everything goes according to plan, an official announcement could take place on Thursday. United will not release the transfer value but it is thought to be around £15m.
    Young's arrival will give Sir Alex Ferguson more variety in attack, with the 25-year-old capable of playing as a two-footed left-winger or operating as a centre-forward.

He will be United's second summer signing following the arrival of Phil Jones earlier this month from Blackburn Rovers in a £16.5m move, possibly rising to £20.5m. A deal has also been put in place for the Spain Under-21 international goalkeeper David de Gea to join from Atlético Madrid, taking United's spending to about £50m and marking them out as the major movers in the transfer market so far this summer.

Young, who began his career at Watford before signing for Villa in 2007, had also attracted strong interest from Liverpool but decided, much like Jones, that he would rather move to Old Trafford.

[h=1]Ashley Young close to signing for Manchester United for estimated £15m[/h]• Winger undergoing medical after move from Aston Villa
• Young has agreed personal terms at Old Trafford

• Daniel Taylor
  • guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 22 June 2011 17.59 BST Article history
    Ashley-Young-joining-Manc-007.jpg
    Ashley Young's arrival at Manchester United will give Sir Alex Ferguson more variety in attack. Photograph: Tom Jenkins for the Guardian

Ashley Young's transfer from Aston Villa to Manchester United is close to being completed after the England international travelled north to undergo his medical examination on Wednesday.
    Young has already agreed personal terms and, if everything goes according to plan, an official announcement could take place on Thursday. United will not release the transfer value but it is thought to be around £15m.
    Young's arrival will give Sir Alex Ferguson more variety in attack, with the 25-year-old capable of playing as a two-footed left-winger or operating as a centre-forward.

He will be United's second summer signing following the arrival of Phil Jones earlier this month from Blackburn Rovers in a £16.5m move, possibly rising to £20.5m. A deal has also been put in place for the Spain Under-21 international goalkeeper David de Gea to join from Atlético Madrid, taking United's spending to about £50m and marking them out as the major movers in the transfer market so far this summer.

Young, who began his career at Watford before signing for Villa in 2007, had also attracted strong interest from Liverpool but decided, much like Jones, that he would rather move to Old Trafford.

Chelsea appoint former Porto coach André Villas-Boas on three-year deal • Club confirm Villas-Boas will replace Carlo Ancelotti • Chelsea praise his 'ambition, drive and determination' Share234 reddit this Paul Doyle guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 22 June 2011 11.16 BST Article history Andre Villas-Boas at Chelsea Andre Villas-Boas at Chelsea. Photograph: Darren Walsh/Chelsea FC via Getty Images The most important weapon in Chelsea's assault on next season's Premier League and Champions League was finally put in place today as the club confirmed André Villas-Boas as its new manager, one month after sacking Carlo Ancelotti. The 33-year-old has signed a three-year contract at Stamford Bridge 24 hours after Chelsea paid a £13.3m compensation fee to release him from Porto, the club where, in the space of just one season, he became the most sought-after young manager in Europe. In his one-year reign at Porto, Villas-Boas went through the domestic league season unbeaten en route to a league and cup double and crowned that by also winning the Europa League. His success rate has brought inevitable comparison with José Mourinho, for whom he formerly worked as an assistant at both Porto and Chelsea, and while he shares some traits with his mentor, such as a knack for fostering close relationships with his players, his style of football is more attractive and attacking than that most usually associated with Mourinho. That will have weighed on the decision of Roman Abramovich, who wants his extravagant investment in the London club to be rewarded with entertainment as well as the biggest trophies. "André was the outstanding candidate for the job," read an official statement from Chelsea. "He is one of the most talented young managers in football today and has already achieved much in a relatively short space of time. His ambition, drive and determination matches that of Chelsea and we are confident André's leadership of the team will result in greater successes in major domestic and European competitions. "André will bring his coaching experience back to a club he is already very familiar with, having previously worked here for three years. He has always been highly regarded at Chelsea and everyone here looks forward to welcoming him back and working with him." Chelsea's senior players do not return from holidays until 2 July but Villas-Boas is already in London, running the rule over Stamford Bridge and the club's training ground in Cobham and discussing the other components in the club's rebuilding plan following the disappointing season that lead to his predecessor's dismissal. The club is expected to spend heavily on new players, with Tottenham's Luka Modric remaining a target and Villas-Boas contemplating a bid to bring the Columbian striker Falcao with him from Porto. One indication that the transfer may be imminent is that Falcao recently changed agents, hiring Jorge Mendes, who has close links with Chelsea. Villas-Boas had wanted his assistant at Porto, Vítor Pereira, to come with him to London but Pereira has instead decided to take up the offer of replacing Villas-Boas as Porto manager. The future of Guus Hiddink, who was initially believed to the Abramovich's preferred choice to replace Ancelotti, is uncertain. The Dutchman is still the manager of the Turkish national team but there have been talks about him becoming director of football at Stamford Bridge. He is also in contention to become the new manager of Internazionale following Leonardo's departure to Paris Saint-Germain.

[h=1]André Villas-Boas takes trend of manager transfer fees to dizzy heights[/h] With Chelsea expected to pay £13.3m for Porto's coach, clubs must now accept that managers are saleable commodities

Andre-Villas-Boas--007.jpg
Porto's president recognised André Villas-Boas's managerial talent when he hired him and immediately inserted a €15m release clause. Photograph: Grigory Dukor/Reuters

André Villas-Boas costs €15m (£13.3m). Alex McLeish is worth £5.4m (according to disgruntled Birmingham City). At that market rate, Sir Alex Ferguson would surely require a £100m-plus "transfer" fee to switch his expertise from Manchester United to a new club.
With Villas-Boas's official resignation note to Porto this morning stating he will pay the £13.3m release clause to become the Chelsea coach, a new height in football's financial excess was confirmed.
Players, the acknowledged front-of-house stars, are now joined by managers as the game's "talent". Transfer fees for the managers may soon become the norm. Villas-Boas, of course, will not provide the £13.3m himself. That will fall to Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner, who in giving the green light for the deal accepts that managers are now commodities worth a price that can still land a club a decent Premier League midfielder.
Over at Birmingham, Peter Pannu, the chief executive, is adamant that McLeish's acrimonious resignation followed by his joining Aston Villa, their bitter rivals, should cost Randy Lerner £5.4m in compensation. Whether McLeish, who won the Carling Cup but took Birmingham down, is worth the money, or if Pannu and his cohorts are trying it on, is not the point. That Birmingham deem it a credible move to threaten legal action to recoup the fee is.
Step forward Pinto da Costa, who is now a contender for football's shrewdest operator. The Porto president appointed Villas-Boas last summer after watching him save Académica de Coimbra from relegation in his first job as a No1. Seeing enough to hand Villas-Boas the job, while inserting the release clause rates high on the list of canniest recent moves. Da Costa appears the only club executive in Portugal who thought that Villas-Boas was about to perform dazzlingly enough for £13.3m to be his market price should a club come calling.
A treble of league, cup and Europa League last season has left Da Costa looking a sage. Across the continent owners now consult their lawyers to see if managers' contracts should be adjusted, while at Chelsea the pressing calculation for the chief executive, Ron Gourlay, is not Villas-Boas's salary of around £5m but how high he should set his next release deal if another club wants to "sign" the 33-year-old.
Players, of course, have long had golden handcuff clauses built into their contracts: Blackburn Rovers lost Phil Jones to United this month owing to his £16m mark being met. Now, managers join them. And as a new market opens up in coaches so the game of guessing a gaffer's value begins.
With his 12 championships and two European Cups, Ferguson would be a steal at £100m. But what price, say, Pep Guardiola, José Mourinho, Fabio Capello, Harry Redknapp, Tony Pulis or Avram Grant?