Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Top 100 African Universities-2013 World University Web Ranking

Discussion in 'Kenyan News' started by Koborer, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Koborer

Koborer JF-Expert Member

Jun 26, 2013
  2. b

bagamoyo JF-Expert Member

Jun 27, 2013
    University Of Dar-es-Salaam ranks number six in Africa, good news.

3. Koborer

Koborer JF-Expert Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Congratulations are in order for University of Dar-es-Salaam.

4. njiwa

njiwa JF-Expert Member

Jun 27, 2013
    vigezo gani wametumia

5. Ab-Titchaz

Ab-Titchaz Moderator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Thanks for this piece once again.

As a fellow member asked, what parameters were they using?

Then Im just suprised UoDSM ranks higher than UoN.....mmmh!...that is food for thought.

Finally sikujua Strath is now a University...I gotta update my data. Kudos to them. I thought Starehe
    Boys would get that 1st but it didnt happen.

6. R

Reginald12 JF-Expert Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Srathmore University has been around for quite a while! Update the data pronto.

7. Koborer

Koborer JF-Expert Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Frankly speaking, i don't know the parameters used. I have tried to search, but in vain. Well Strathmore has been around for a while now.

8. Jospina

Jospina JF-Expert Member

Jun 28, 2013
    KENYA HAS THE POOREST EDUCATION SYSTEM IN EAST AFRICA!! AM proud to be the alumni of udsm

9. Kabaridi

Kabaridi JF-Expert Member

Jun 28, 2013
    I am still not convinced that ghana is not in the top 20, Wapi university za na nigeria mfano Ibadan nk kwenye top 20 list this list is phony!

10. Koborer

Koborer JF-Expert Member

Jun 28, 2013
    But they have 7 universities in the top 100. How many did others have? Only one each?

11. Mkuu rombo

Mkuu rombo JF-Expert Member

Jun 28, 2013
    aiseeeee babayangu chuo alichosoma babu yangu mzaa babayangu alisoma open universities sikioni au machoyangu wadau hayaoni

12. Manyi

Manyi JF-Expert Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Source: Standard Digital News - Kenya : Why only seven Kenyan varsities made it to Africa?s top 100

If I was able to see far, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. Those are the words of Isaac Newton who formulated the theory of gravitation.

When I was studying in England, I was fortunate enough to have slept in the same room where Isaac Newton was sleeping at Trinity College, University of Cambridge.
    I am convinced that God does not play dice. For gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Curiosity has its own reason for existing. If you don't know what am talking about, I am quoting the words of Albert Einsten, the most important and intelligent scientist the world has ever seen.
    We live in the world of science, read about science and science is really fun. Now get ready for Einstein's quotes.
    Why did our universities perform so poorly in Africa? It is because they lacked several things. In order to explain you further, I will be solely quoting the words of Albert Einstein in this article.

First, our universities lack something called innovation. They still teach very old traditional useless degrees.
    You will hear of degrees like Bachelor of Science (Wildlife), Bachelor of Science (Wood Science and Technology) and Bachelor of Arts (Music). These degrees have no place in Kenya and they have no role to play in an innovative society.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. God is subtle but he is not malicious. Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    For I never think of the future. It comes soon enough. Any intelligent God is subtle but he is not malicious.

Continue reading this article here []Standard Digital News - Kenya : Why only seven Kenyan varsities made it to Africa?s top 100 its is very interesting indeed!

13. h

hydrogen JF-Expert Member

Jul 1, 2013
    I think its important that I walk you through this like a 5year old. first east Africa consist of five(5) countries namely Tanzania Uganda Kenya Rwanda and Burundi. lets rule out Burundi coz Burundi had no university in the top 100. so we are left with four(4) countries. 1. Tanzania 2. Uganda 3. Kenya 4. Rwanda. The easiest way to do this would be to total points we would award based on an institution ranking in the said list, and according to the country they are based in. the first university would get 100 points and the last 1 point. Rwanda university at position 40 would give Rwanda 60 points. Makerere University at position 10 would give Uganda 90 points. UDSM at position 6 and The Hubert Kairuki Memorial University at position 98 would give Tanzania 94 points and 2 points respectively totaling 100 points (assuming she got 4 points from somewhere!).for Kenya, UoN position 17, 83 points. Strathmore position 44, 66 points. JKUAT position 56, 44 points. KU position 61, 39 points. USIU position 77, 33 points. Egerton position 80, 20 points. and finally Moi position 85, 15 points. totaling 300 points for Kenya. if you ask me in east Africa, Kenya is three times its closest rival, tanzania.

14. b

bagamoyo JF-Expert Member

Jul 1, 2013
    The original article talks about which African universities are the best and University of Dar-es-Salaam leads among African Universities. So there is no need of making the rankings complex by using 'accumulated total points' to try and push up the lower rankings of Kenyan Universities.

15. Jospina

Jospina JF-Expert Member

Jul 2, 2013
    udsm inatosha....................mengine ni pumba tuu!!

16. Jospina

Jospina JF-Expert Member

Jul 2, 2013
    i agree with you sir, udsm is the best in east and central africa

17. I

Isoliwaya JF-Expert Member

Jul 2, 2013
    It is true that UDSM is the best university in east and centra africa. UDMSM has been performing better than other universities in East Africa in research, consultancy and training. They have big number of professors and doctors. A good example is department of economics. It is the best department in east africa.

18. h

Jul 2, 2013
    if you read between the lines you would understand why I said all that. a member said KENYA HAS THE POOREST EDUCATION SYSTEM IN EAST AFRICA!!. If a student always scored the highest marks in say, mathematics while another student always topped the class on average. surely, who is the smartest student?! you could always avoid uncomfortable questions!

19. h

Jul 2, 2013
    udsm is the best university in east and central Africa that's a fact for sure! and its one of Africa's finest. nobody can take that away, at-least until they take it away!

20. h

Jul 2, 2013
    and I coudnt agree more. udsm as an institution, is the best university in east and central Africa that's a fact. but countrywise Tanzania cannot compare to Kenya in institutions of higher learning, and I think we have ourselves another fact right there! just as southafrica beats all other African nations in the same. and that's a fact! enough facts for today.