Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

This Damned Country!: Nyerere's Forgotten Speech

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Siasa' started by Mzee Mwanakijiji, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Mzee Mwanakijiji

Mzee Mwanakijiji Platinum Member

Jun 16, 2011
    In some of my writings I have alluded to one of the most fiery, provocative and incredibly poignant speech by Nyerere to the Tanzanian educated youth. It is one of the few speeches that remains forgotten. As the nation wrestles with the question of public spending, entitlements of the educated ruling class (part of which is corrupt) and the burden this government has put on the poor peasants (as Nyerere would call them) I have found an urge to share this speech with you just to make us think where we are coming from and why we are here. A bunch of those students who marched to the State House have found their thrones at the helm of power in the past 10 to 15 years. They have never changed.

In the first part, a group of university students (almost 400 of them) from DUC (before it became UDSM) marched to the Statehouse protesting the National Service arrangement which they considered to be exploitative in nature. Without fear or excuses Nyerere and his Cabinet were prepared to meet them. Force was not used to stop them.

The incident is recorded in “We Must Run, While They Walk, pp 26-32- a book by William Edgett Smith” Digital transcription is mine; all italics and brackets original. I will have a Pdf file with the complete text next time.

THE SECOND PART
    “My salary! Do you know what my salary is? Five Thousand damned shillings a month! Five thousand damned shillings in a poor country! The poor man who gets two hundred shillings a month - do you know how long it’s going to take him to earn my damned salary? Twenty-five years! It’s going to take the poor man in this country, who earns two hundred shillings a month, twenty-five years to earn what I earn in a year.

“The damned salaries! These are salaries which build this kind of attitude in the educated people, all of them! All of them! Me and you! We belong to a class of exploiters! I belong to your class! Where I think three hundred and eight pounds a yeas is a prison camp! Is forced labor! We belong to this damned exploiting class on top. Is this the country we fought for? Is this what we worked for? In order to maintain a class of exploiters on top?

“I agree with you! We are paying too much! Everybody in this damned country is paid too much- except the poor peasant. I’ll slash the salaries! I agree with you! I’m glad you’re so concerned about this country! Forced labor? Where do we get this language? The day I can give every worker of Tanzania three hundred and eighty pounds, we will have worked a revolution that has not been worked anywhere in Africa. The day that I succeed in giving everybody in this damned country three hundred pounds, we shall have worked a terrific revolution; we could stand all of us on top of Kilimanjaro and proclaim the Tanzanian revolution!

“Forced labor! Go, go in the classroom, go and don’t teach. This we shall county as National Service for three hundred and eighty pounds a year. You are right salaries are too high. Everybody in this country is demanding a pound of flesh. Everybody except the poor peasant. How can he demand it? He doesn’t know the language. Even in his own language he can’t speak of forced labor. What kind of country are we building?” He fairly screeched the words.

“I have accepted what you said. And I am going to revise salaries permanently. And as for you, I am asking you to go home. I’m asking all of you to go home. Rashid! You are responsible to see that they go home.”

There was mild applause, presumably from those students who didn’t realize what had happened. He expelled them, three hundred and ninety three in all and sent them home.

Attached Files:

2. J

Jasusi JF-Expert Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Mwanakjj,
    You are a gem!

3. O

Ogah JF-Expert Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Hey hey Dude!......Thank you Dude...........keep up the good work!

4. Mzee Mwanakijiji

Jun 16, 2011
    Hotuba hii inatudokeza tu what leadership is all about...

5. Nyambala

Nyambala JF-Expert Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Nimeipenda sana hii!!!!!!! sasa siji ndugu zangu UVCCM au BAVICHA wako tayari kwa hili????? Ndugu zangu wa posho je?

6. Nyambala

Jun 16, 2011
    Nilivyosoma hii ghafla nikamkumbuka Mkulo na mama Makinda na mikwala yao ya hapa juzi kuhusu posho za wabunge.

7. Nyambala

Jun 16, 2011
    If the leadership bar was set this high in the sixties, what went wrong in between to bring it so low mpaka na akina Rostam wakaona wanafaa kuongoza?

8. J

Jasusi JF-Expert Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Nyambala,
    You want me to answer your question? Nipe muda. Unamkumbuka Yesu? Hata wale mitume wake waliokuwa naye muda wote hawakumwelewa wakati wote.

9. Mzee Mwanakijiji

Jun 16, 2011
    Kundi la hao wanafunzi wamekuja kushika madaraka baadaye; wameamua kulipizia kisasi.

10. Mohamedi Mtoi

Mohamedi Mtoi R I P

Jun 16, 2011
    Big dad! Big thanx to you. We are waiting for the next part of the story.

11. Rutashubanyuma

Rutashubanyuma JF-Expert Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Nyerere leo angelionea hivyo wanaunzi hawa wa dot.com wangelimzomea..........................his words would have been considered out of touch with reality...........................................

12. Nyambala

Jun 16, 2011
    Yea nadhani Sitta alikuwepo kwwenye hilo kundi la wanafunzi walioandamana! Ila ni aibu kweli kweli!

13. Arafat

Arafat JF-Expert Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Mwanakijiji nashukuru sana, sijui kama unaweza kutukumbusha miongoni mwao tulionao katika system inayonya nchni damu!

14. Steve Dii

Steve Dii JF-Expert Member

Jun 16, 2011
    ...and a rare one if truth be told!!

15. Steve Dii

Jun 16, 2011
    Kwangu mimi kosa moja kubwa la Nyerere ni katika transition ya kutoka chama kimoja hadi vingi. There and only then, a level bar would have been set. i.e. CCM should have been dissolved. Kila chama kingeanza na moja, kuanzia wanachama hadi vitega uchumi vya chama. Aliruhusu au kukubali la vyama vingi na papo hapo akajing'atua!

16. Mzee Mwanakijiji

Jun 16, 2011
    mmoja keshatajwa... watafuteni classmates wake.

17. T

Taso JF-Expert Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Nyerere hakuwepo kwenye mamlaka wakati wa kupitisha vyama vingi. Double check your history Mr. commentator.

18. Nyambala

Jun 16, 2011
    Alikuwepo pia katibu mkuu wizara ya afya by then Marehemu Wilfred Mwambulambo

19. Steve Dii

Jun 16, 2011
    Mmmh, mbona napatwa shaka hapa Taso... siongelei enzi za TAA na SAP; kwani uchaguzi wa kwanza ulioshirikisha hata akina Lyatonga Mrema ulikuwa lini vile..kindly asking.

Edit:

Sorry, nimeona - umesema "mamlaka".

20. K

KASIGAZI Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Mzee Mwanakijiji, thank you very much for this inspiring speech. Last week I was watching tbc and they were showing some flash-backs of several events with short speeches of Mwl Nyerere. I was like, "Oh, we really lost a president". I have been reading a lot of your articles on newspapers and learned that you have a lot to share about the original JK. Please keep posting more and more information about him. He is the true picture of the unadulterated Tanzania. Nyere is not dead! He is still alive! More visible and audible than the leaders who are seen physically. If the Tanzanian young people will get as fond of him, the revolutionally spirit will be implanted in then and I believe it will bear fruits at last
    Thanks Mwanakijiji once again. I love you dearly