Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

The return of ‘walk to work’

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ByaseL, Jun 23, 2011.

  1. B

    ByaseL JF-Expert Member

    Jun 23, 2011
    Joined: Nov 22, 2007
    Messages: 2,218
    Likes Received: 12
    Trophy Points: 135
    Both the political party he leads and his own lawyers have advised him against continuing with his ‘walk to work' protest, but Dr Kizza Besigye is adamant.
    As a result of his resolve, The Observer has learnt, the ‘walk to work' campaign that paralysed parts of Kampala, especially in April this year, is set to resume.
    Forum for Democratic Change, the main opposition party, recently declared it had pulled out of the protests led by Activists for Change (A4C), the pressure group that was behind the ‘walk to work' campaign, but this decision, it appears, did not have the blessing of the FDC president, Dr Besigye.
    The declaration was made by FDC spokesperson, Wafula Oguttu, on May 30, when Besigye was out of the country.
    "The campaign has led to death of innocent Ugandans; the government has been so brutal during the protests. So, we thought it wise to quit in order to save the lives of Ugandans," Oguttu told journalists.
    However, Besigye's conduct since his return from the United States where he had gone for further treatment after government security agents sprayed him with pepper, paints a different picture. It portrays Besigye as reinforcing the ‘walk to work' action, rather than ending it.
    During some of his court appearances last week, Besigye walked to and from court, where he is battling cases of inciting violence, rioting after proclamation, and unlawful assembly. On June 13, he walked from his home to Kasangati court where his case was, however, adjourned because the state had not concluded investigations.
    After the adjournment, Besigye walked back to his home, accompanied by his supporters. Two days later, he drove to Nabweru court where he faces charges of holding unlawful assembly and inciting violence in relation to his earlier participation in the ‘walk to work' demonstrations.
    He attempted to walk home after the session, even against the advice of his lawyers, but was blocked by police. He then camped at nearby Nabweru Catholic Church, vowing not to leave until the police allowed him to walk to his home. Besigye left the church premises about three hours later, escorted by three police patrol cars.
    "It doesn't make sense to leave a winning approach. ‘Walk to work' and ‘hoot and drive' were successful, but we also have other ways that can win," he said.