The potential for Tanzania to be a regional power

MwanaFalsafa1

JF-Expert Member
Feb 26, 2008
Tanzania has the potential power to become a regional power, not just the East African region but the Sub Saharan region as a whole. Now don't get me wrong, other countries in East Africa and Sub Sahara for that matter do have potential of there own but I'm here to make a case for Tanzania.

I'm a Tanzania so obviously I would love to see my country on the forefront of everything that is nice in this region be it economically, socially political or otherwise. With my nationality aside I honestly, truly believe that among all East African nations, Tanzania has the most potential to make the biggest impact. I can say that Tanzania is the potential star from the region. The only problem is that this star is not doing all it can at the moment to improve it's game.

Of all East African nations Tanzania is by far the most stable. We don't face the political instability of Uganda nor the tribalism of Kenya. Don't get me wrong, we do have our problems but no where in our history do I remember as facing dictatorship rule like Uganda or political unrest and upheaval like Kenya. What Tanzania has to do now is institutionalize it's democracy and come up with sound policies which will ensure that the country is run by a sound democratic system and not by individuals who can not always be trusted to do the right thing.

The second area of concern is the economy. Tanzania is arguably the wealthiest East African in terms of resources. We are the most populous with about 40 million people which is the most important resource. We are the 3rd largest producer of diamonds in Africa, we have gold mines and we have the very rare & precious Tanzanite. What more do we need? We need good governance and sound economic policies which will benefit the country and not just investors. We need a good tax collecting system where billions of shillings are not lost through tax evasion. We need a government machine which won't eat up funds unnecessarily like a car which eats up fuel uncontrollably.

Most importantly however we need the people. Tanzanians have to learn not to settle for less. We have to push each other. We have to know that we need not settle for less. We have to stop being simplistic and look at the larger picture. We have to realize that government has to work for us and not the other way around. Once we know that government is liable to work for us it is then and only then that we will hold them accountable. Politics should not be left in the hands of politician. We have to take a proactive role rather than a reactive one.

My fellow Tanzanians like Mwalimu Nyerere said on our way to defeating Iddia Amin and his army, "Sababu tunayo, niya tunayo na uwezo tunao." ......We have the reason, we have the way and we have the capability. Our future is in our hands and destiny is what we want it to be.

Africa Investor - News

Ratio Magazine :: The Inside Track to East Africa’s Economies - Kenya: Economic Growth Despite Government?

^^^^^^^
read this tafadhali,

you have the potential but bureaucracy in doing business in your country hinders a lot of development. You are a blessed country with lots of potential but if your leaders dont facilitate development, you will say the same thing 20 years from now, that you have a lot of untapped potential, but nothing to show for it at the end of the day. Kenya can say the same

Brother Smatta,

In primary school I had an art teacher. He was a pretty gifted artist and cartoonists. He used to draw some politically oriented cartoons but mostly it was for fun. He drew one particular cartoon which still lives inside my mind. It was of a beggar sitting on a chair made of gold and pleading to people to give him money.......

Mkuu the beggar is Tanzania and for that matter most African nations and the chair represented the wealth and resources we are sitting on. I have to say I agree with you that if nothing is done today then we will be speaking of the same thing 20 years from now. The opportunities are they but it seems that most of us believe that poverty is a will imposed on us and that there is nothing we can do about it.

Like you said Tanzania is blessed and has a lot of potential but like mist African countries politics is the problem. But Tanzanian politics is funny. You see unlike most African countries we don't have dictators, autocrats or divide and conquer politics. No our problem is that we have the least talented politicians around. They lack vision and seem to have no strategy for Tanzania. Their policies are to just keep as afloat instead of sinking deeper into the depth of obscurity.

I have lost all hope with the current generation of leaders we have. As proud as I am of my father as an individual I think his generation has failed it's children. I truly believe that Africa's best hope really lies with a new generation of leaders be it in politics, business or otherwise. What's disappointing however is that my generation has shown no signs that not only do they want change but they are going to demand it or take it if need be.

Confusious once said. "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." It seems that the thought of the distance needed to be covered is making people afraid of even taking the first step. It is high time we started rolling. I can not and will not stand by and watch one day my children inherit the same stationary country that I am soon to inherit. But I know effort and will is needed and I will at least try and do something instead of just watching things continue as they are.

It is indeed dishearting to see alot of potential and not be able to realize it. In TZ you claim that you have stationery leaders, Ours in Kenya are the exact opposite, they are very active in nyakuaring for themselves, they are very individualistic. In a lot of countries a public office is not as lucrative as it is in Kenya.
What Kenya , EA, and Africa as a whole needs is new leaders untainted with the present corruption and graft and therein lies the problem...The apple does not fall far from the tree.

very soon we gonna have hundreds of smatters as illegal immigrants in tz, because your country is drowning day after day and you are preparing yourself to jog behind our trailers...just wait and u'll see.

very soon we gonna have hundreds of smatters as illegal immigrants in tz, because your country is drowning day after day and you are preparing yourself to jog behind our trailers...just wait and u'll see.

Do not taint this debate. Take your vitriol elswhere. Bro Mwanafalsafa1 has started a good debate and you want to spoil it . While you are at it Leave Smatta out of this. Respond to Mwanfalsafa1 if you can dare, If you have anything concrete to say, Say it, but please DO NOT HIDE behind hating Kenya and Kenyans...nkt

Brother Smatta,

... I can not and will not stand by and watch one day my children inherit the same stationary country that I am soon to inherit. But I know effort and will is needed and I will at least try and do something instead of just watching things continue as they are.

MF1
At times, I really appreciate optimism. Yet, in this case, I can assure you that you'll be in for psychological relief (that you did so'thing) rather than for achieving anything. This country is so gripped by hypocrisy, petty materialism, competition at local level, mediocrity, etc. you name it, for people to see the big picture. I'm just waiting to see the crooks in power win another unprotested landslide even after humiliating the workers to underline my point. Sad to say that, short of a revolutionary action (decision) on the part of the majority, we're in for a long period of darkness. Smatta is damn right.

Mwanaflasa usipoteze moyo bado tupo kwenye generation amabyo ilitupatia uhuru kutoka kwa mkoloni. Na viongozi ambao wametokea uongozi wa mwanzo na siasa za kujiami.

Aita kuwa hivyo kama viongozi wa baadae watakua members kama 'mtoto' JF member na watu kama nyie binafsi naamini bado kuna vitu ambavyo inabidi mjirekebishe they come with political maturity. Hila kuna vitu mnamwaga we na 'mtoto' hawa jamaa hawavipati dont loose hope the future is bright. Because i know alot of 20 something kids that can argue theories and are not even members here. The future is with us rember that.

This is not an issue of what Kenya is doing but rather what we are doing. East African nations need not be reactionary to others. One thing I must say about the current situation in East Africa is that it offers both a blessing & a curse. A blessing in the sense that competition will drive each country especially it's people to do better & not be undone by the other country......friendly competition. On the other hand it could encourage some people, I presume as you to thing that we are a lost case & we should just let "destiny" take its course. Instead of being a hater I'd rather aim to achieve.

MF1
At times, I really appreciate optimism. Yet, in this case, I can assure you that you'll be in for psychological relief (that you did so'thing) rather than for achieving anything. This country is so gripped by hypocrisy, petty materialism, competition at local level, mediocrity, etc. you name it, for people to see the big picture. I'm just waiting to see the crooks in power win another unprotested landslide even after humiliating the workers to underline my point. Sad to say that, short of a revolutionary action (decision) on the part of the majority, we're in for a long period of darkness. Smatta is damn right.

It's not a matter of optimism. It is a matter of seeing things in the context of a building in which each block matters. Thus I do not have the attitude that I shouldn't try to better myself or my country because I fear others won't do the same. This fear causes a chain reaction in which everybody decides to do nothing. So while some would like to look at things in a general form I tend to look at it on a individual level. So before I demand something from others I have to first hold myself to the same standers I want others to.

Mwanaflasa usipoteze moyo bado tupo kwenye generation amabyo ilitupatia uhuru kutoka kwa mkoloni. Na viongozi ambao wametokea uongozi wa mwanzo na siasa za kujiami.

Aita kuwa hivyo kama viongozi wa baadae watakua members kama 'mtoto' JF member na watu kama nyie binafsi naamini bado kuna vitu ambavyo inabidi mjirekebishe they come with political maturity. Hila kuna vitu mnamwaga we na 'mtoto' hawa jamaa hawavipati dont loose hope the future is bright. Because i know alot of 20 something kids that can argue theories and are not even members here. The future is with us rember that.

Brother Juma some things are very disheartening and at times even painful. Sometimes I hear things about my country that even though are said in a "politically incorrect" it is still the truth and I can't find the words to justify it.

Anyway I will persist and I won't give up. You have no idea how your words have meant to me & how encouraging they are. I believe we still have a bright future.

Brother Juma some things are very disheartening and at times even painful. Sometimes I hear things about my country that even though are said in a "politically incorrect" it is still the truth and I can't find the words to justify it.

Anyway I will persist and I won't give up. You have no idea how your words have meant to me & how encouraging they are. I believe we still have a bright future.

ndugu,

Nakusoma mara nyingi cha muhimu you got your own mind, at the same time i read JF it seems people think things just happen. I'm impressed with your questioning philosophy.

Hii ndio sababu naelewa tupo wengi ambao ni kazazi cha baadae kwa leo atuwezi elewaka zaidi ya kuonekana kujifanya wajuaji. Some think its about attacking individuals instead of looking for an elaboration, when we pose attacking questions. I know you know its not about certain individuals but the whole system is rotten and it needs an overhaul mending.

We are yet to figure it out, its not just about Mkwere but also the naivity of people who keep electing these useless politician. Its for us to take this battle to the people that matter using their language, thats our future challenge.

great great great article!!!!! a very real pragmatic look of where kenya has been where kenya is and what direction kenya is going.

But Chandaria remains torn. When asked about his apparent mix of optimism and pessimism about Kenya and its government, he paused to look out the large window in his sitting room. It frames a lush tropical garden backed by the stunning Karura Forest. He swept his hand across the vista and said: "It gives me pain that while we have such a beautiful country – best of climate, best of people, we don't have oil, we don't have gold, we don't have diamonds, but in spite of that we have so much – and yet we can't utilize it [because of the government]. That hurts. That's my pessimism. Otherwise, optimism to me could grow like nobody's business. We could be leaders in this part of the world after South Africa. There's no doubt about that."

http://www.ratio-magazine.com/201002031882/Kenya/Kenya-Economic-Growth-Despite-Government.html

note: i admire chandaria his last words on that article are so very true. we need more kenyans like him.​

i thank Nik Nesbitt, for believing in his country. this guy could have been working with some of the worlds leading hedge fund firms in some of the worlds biggest and influential cities in developed countries but he chose to go back to his home, a third world country. such are the people that make me still believe in my country. u cant read about mr. nesbitt and not be inspired to do something for our country kenya.​

Mwanafalsafa1, sorry for derailing from the topic.

great great great article!!!!! a very real pragmatic look of where kenya has been where kenya is and what direction kenya is going.

note: i admire chandaria his last words on that article are so very true. we need more kenyans like him.​

i thank Nik Nesbitt, for believing in his country. this guy could have been working with some of the worlds leading hedge fund firms in some of the worlds biggest and influential cities in developed countries but he chose to go back to his home, a third world country. such are the people that make me still believe in my country. u cant read about mr. nesbitt and not be inspired to do something for our country kenya.​

Mwanafalsafa1, sorry for derailing from the topic.

Ha ha ha its o.k. brother/sister you have not derailed from the topic in any way. Love for country and doing something for your country is what this thread is ultimately all about.

Remember when you see a man at the top of a mountain, he didn't fall there! It takes time, effort and determination to climb the mountain and the same applies to success. If we think we can...if we set sound policies, legislation, and plans...and if we work diligently...we will get there. It will no be over night...it will take time...but we will get there!!!

We rely on Development aids (its not bad to be assistaed) but we forget that there is no free lunch!...that is true...we get aids that come with a lot of exploiting conditions. Conditions that keep pulling us down instead of assisting our growth. While we can not move forward without some assistance to achieve working budgets, our country needs working infrastructure which will ensure that we will not keep depending on the ... See moreaids. Infrastructure that will ensure proper transfer of capital to production and of proper market for developed goods. Infrastructure which will ensure private investments in our country is highly regulated to make the country profit from them...with availability of employment and tax collection increased while the burden on common farmer and worker is reduced! We need infrastructure that will ensure the rebirth of died industries like textiles, shoes, food processing, iron-processing etc. Infrastructure that will ensure an increase in export of our produced goods and services....infrastructure free from corruption!!!

It is indeed dishearting to see alot of potential and not be able to realize it. In TZ you claim that you have stationery leaders, Ours in Kenya are the exact opposite, they are very active in nyakuaring for themselves, they are very individualistic. In a lot of countries a public office is not as lucrative as it is in Kenya.
What Kenya , EA, and Africa as a whole needs is new leaders untainted with the present corruption and graft and therein lies the problem...The apple does not fall far from the tree.
When you vote them out, they steal votes and win. Now are you ready to go the "bush way", are you courageous enough. Even if you go there, how sure are we that corruption will end. Uganda is a case in point, Museveni went there and people died en masse, but isn't the same Uganda which is still corrupt today as it was even before. Hata Kenya watu walikufa kwa ajili ya mabadiliko, sasa je rushwa imekwisha? Suggest the wayforward, so that i can advise my TZ people. There's a thinking that we should start a war in TZ for change, because there's no any other option? Maana CCM inaonekana has positioned itself to rule forever, na Serikali yake ni corrupt to the tooth! Au MwanaFA una mikakati gani? We have been singing this for decades, now what we do? Kuna ule msemo, kwamba adui usiyemuweza, ungana naye..je na sisi tuungane nao tutafune rushwa kwa kwenda mbele? Now SHOULD WE GO KENYAN, BURUNDIAN, RWANDAN OR UGANDA WAY AND BUTCHER? US IN TANZANIA WE ARE EXPERIENCED IN CORRUPTION IN BUT NOT IN WARS, FOR OUR NEIGHBORS YOU HAVE BEEN IN BOTH. CAN THEN THE LATTER HELP TO SOLVE THE FORMER? BECAUSE WE ARE ABOUT TO TRY IT BUT ARE NOTE SURE!

When you vote them out, they steal votes and win. Now are you ready to go the "bush way", are you courageous enough. Even if you go there, how sure are we that corruption will end. Uganda is a case in point, Museveni went there and people died en masse, but isn't the same Uganda which is still corrupt today as it was even before. Hata Kenya watu walikufa kwa ajili ya mabadiliko, sasa je rushwa imekwisha? Suggest the wayforward, so that i can advise my TZ people. There's a thinking that we should start a war in TZ for change, because there's no any other option? Maana CCM inaonekana has positioned itself to rule forever, na Serikali yake ni corrupt to the tooth! Au MwanaFA una mikakati gani? We have been singing this for decades, now what we do? Kuna ule msemo, kwamba adui usiyemuweza, ungana naye..je na sisi tuungane nao tutafune rushwa kwa kwenda mbele? Now SHOULD WE GO KENYAN, BURUNDIAN, RWANDAN OR UGANDA WAY AND BUTCHER? US IN TANZANIA WE ARE EXPERIENCED IN CORRUPTION IN BUT NOT IN WARS, FOR OUR NEIGHBORS YOU HAVE BEEN IN BOTH. CAN THEN THE LATTER HELP TO SOLVE THE FORMER? BECAUSE WE ARE ABOUT TO TRY IT BUT ARE NOTE SURE!

I personally think you are taking this a bit too far, fighting for change in TZ? why are you being myopic? Nigga are you normal this is 20 effin 10 and you talking about going to the Bush, you dont need to go to the bush to fight for change, that's the last action, desperate measure, look at the RED shirts in Malaysia, that the furthest an educated person can go. nigga Tanzania is at the right path, though there are some elements of slow progress you can make a change by voting, stop this crap you are feeding us on how you can go to the bush to bring change, nigga that is your obsession and its lame. you are so violent in your thinking and its obvious that youz young, uneducated and naive because of your violent thinking and inclination to getting solutions through blood shed.

You are just a kid in this cold world son, never wish for violence, you've never seen it and pray to God never to see it. I wish you were somewhere near so that I can punch you in the face.

I personally think you are taking this a bit too far, fighting for change in TZ? why are you being myopic? Nigga are you normal this is 20 effin 10 and you talking about going to the Bush, you dont need to go to the bush to fight for change, that's the last action, desperate measure, look at the RED shirts in Malaysia, that the furthest an educated person can go. nigga Tanzania is at the right path, though there are some elements of slow progress you can make a change by voting, stop this crap you are feeding us on how you can go to the bush to bring change, nigga that is your obsession and its lame. you are so violent in your thinking and its obvious that youz young, uneducated and naive because of your violent thinking and inclination to getting solutions through blood shed.

You are just a kid in this cold world son, never wish for violence, you've never seen it and pray to God never to see it. I wish you were somewhere near so that I can punch you in the face.

Mi nakusubiri kama mhamiaji haramu Tanzania. Ukija tafadhali toa taarifa ukifika Dar ili in-punch in the face na uweke contacts zako mtandaoni kama ni mwanamume, mimi siwezi kufika kwenu, nchi ya wendawazimu ambayo kazi yenu ni ukabila na kuchinjana. Umeona bora ku-venture Tanzania, lakini umeingia choo cha kike, unadandia gari kwa mbele, hujui hata swali nimeliuliza kwa nini? Adhabu unaijua, rudi kwenye ile thread ulikotoka ulikokuwa ukilalama kama mtoto wa kike.

Mi nakusubiri kama mhamiaji haramu Tanzania. Ukija tafadhali toa taarifa ukifika Dar ili in-punch in the face na uweke contacts zako mtandaoni kama ni mwanamume, mimi siwezi kufika kwenu, nchi ya wendawazimu ambayo kazi yenu ni ukabila na kuchinjana. Umeona bora ku-venture Tanzania, lakini umeingia choo cha kike, unadandia gari kwa mbele, hujui hata swali nimeliuliza kwa nini? Adhabu unaijua, rudi kwenye ile thread ulikotoka ulikokuwa ukilalama kama mtoto wa kike.

Like I usually tell you, mimi ni Mnairobi, born and bred, hivi vitisho vya hapa kwenye forum ni upuzi mtupu, it shows how desperate you are to prove that youz a real man (no homo), and you know how reverse psychology usually works.. but it doesnt work for people like yours trully, coz we eat pieces of sh*t like you for breakfast where I am from. Ni PM nikupe namba zangu ama associates wangu hapo Tanzania ndipo labda utajua wewe kwangu ni mtoto na nikizidi kukutolerate naona ukininyelea.

Kanyabwoya huna haja ya kumshukia smatta, what smatta is trying to say if I understood him/her well is that war is not a better solution to solve whatever problems we have! And for sure smatta is talking this from experience because he/she is a kenyan and we know what our brothers in kenya went through as aftermath in their last election! Ni swali zuri ulilomuuliza MF1 kuwa hapa ndio tulipofikishwa na serikali ya CCM je what is a wayforward now? na sio kujaribu kushusha hasira zetu kwa wengine, Just to remind you Kanyabwoya " You dont need to blame a man who push you down, you have yourself to blame for refusing to stand up again" Tanzanian let us blame ourselves for refusing to stand up again!

Back
Top Bottom